PDA

View Full Version : Canon's response; personal belief: 24p and 25p is for soon

Gordon Prince
09-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Posted here by KyrilCvetkov:

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/09/26/original-raw-clips-from-reverie-now-available-for-download/#comments

Thank you for contacting Canon USA via the Canon Digital Learning Center. Our Professional Products Marketing Division is comprised of both camera and video personnel, and we have been working intimately as a team dealing with what is a convergence of the two markets — especially so in this new model. We are aware of the potential this camera will have on both the still and video markets, and the “buzz” it has created. We know there is no other video camera with this size sensor, and we are aware of the fact that videographers and filmmakers will now have the same use of interchangeable lenses and shallow depth of field that their still photographer colleagues have always had the benefit of in the past. I have forwarded your email to my video colleges. Hopefully your suggestion for 24 fps will make its way to our R&D department in Japan.

ESTEBEVERDE
09-27-2008, 07:25 PM
I can't believe it's not just a matter of a firmware upgrade.

Digigenic
09-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Posted here by KyrilCvetkov:

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/09/26/original-raw-clips-from-reverie-now-available-for-download/#comments

...Hopefully your suggestion for 24 fps will make its way to our R&D department in Japan.

It seems to me that they're suggesting consumers apply pressure directly to the R&D department.
His comment about "hopefully your suggestions...." don't instill confidence, it's just wishful thinking.
It won't get taken seriously until someone takes it up directly with R&D, who more than likely already presented management with the option of a 24p enabled camera, but was denied.
Management gave instructions to remove 24p and other manual controls from the 5DMkII video mode because those features would pose a threat to their upcoming video cameras.
They won't have 36x24 sensors, but they'll probably have 1.6x APS-C sensors and an EOS mount with 24p, full manual controls, and a new RAW format option.
Basically, it would be Canon's version of the RED one.
Why do you think RED is suddenly making a DSMC camera?
They anticipate some serious competition.

joe 1008
09-28-2008, 10:32 AM
It seems to me that they're suggesting consumers apply pressure directly to the R&D department.
His comment about "hopefully your suggestions...." don't instill confidence, it's just wishful thinking.
It won't get taken seriously until someone takes it up directly with R&D, who more than likely already presented management with the option of a 24p enabled camera, but was denied.
Management gave instructions to remove 24p and other manual controls from the 5DMkII video mode because those features would pose a threat to their upcoming video cameras.
They won't have 36x24 sensors, but they'll probably have 1.6x APS-C sensors and an EOS mount with 24p, full manual controls, and a new RAW format option.

That would be very negative marketing. Bad for Canon. If they really are up to design a "CANON-RED" they should give us a hint. Otherwise we, the consumers, should not forgive that 24p/25p scroogedness.

Bebel
09-28-2008, 11:24 AM

good thinking! a 24p-5DMK2 however doesn't have to threaten their camcorder line. i mean there's so much more than just 24p - pro features like full manual controls, variable frame rates, EVF, XLR ports, etc.etc. - which are reserved solely for their camcorders. so if i were them, i wouldn't care too much about what people buy - DSLR or camcorder - as long as it's a canon.

Matthew Bennett
09-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Too bad none of us are VP's at Canon in Japan. We'd have this licked already.

John Caballero
09-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Lets get the 24P situation taken care of so everybody can start complaining about the inefficient codec, whatever amount of "jello" it shows, still the lack of full manual controls, artifacts in the lower upper corner of every third frame, ergonomics, possible grain using a 20W bulb for lighting or whatever other wonderful obstacle anybody might encounter before and after using this camera. I think all this little things have been so badly neglected while everybody looks for the 24P solution. It should be time to start ranting about something else already while and if 24P shows up.