PDA

View Full Version : D90 For Film Out

Fliques Osman
09-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Hey Guys,

I am planning on shooting a short in the next month. It will be projected in small art house theaters. My question (sorry if it has been addressed in the original 256 page thread - I gave up after page 152), is will Motion Jpeg effect the image if it projected on a screen, or if I do a film out?

Thanks in advance

BMFM FILMS
09-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Good question, i think you might want to work in Pro-res or some kind of high quality codec...this means converting, but at least you know your in a high quality resolution (work uncompressed?).

It's way too early to say how good it would look in a film out, but I'm sure the 720p resolution helps.

Somebody smarter could probably come up with a better answer...

Kholi
09-24-2008, 06:18 PM
You may want to check with Hunter Richards to learn how to "dejaggy" or "de-anti-alias" the footage as well. He did a REALLy good job of gettin' some even better lookin' large frame out of this sucker.

Park Edwards
09-24-2008, 06:31 PM
If you're willing to do what Hunter did, be prepared for a long haul....at least, with my experience getting the jpeg artifacts out is a bit cumbersome. But might be worth it though. I think Hunter just did a frame grab, not an actual clip. I heard uprezzing then downrezzing would help too.

Kholi
09-24-2008, 06:34 PM
If it were as important as a screening or projection in front of people I would do it to at least get a cleaner 720p out of the D90.

Fliques Osman
09-24-2008, 06:52 PM
If you're willing to do what Hunter did, be prepared for a long haul....at least, with my experience getting the jpeg artifacts out is a bit cumbersome. But might be worth it though. I think Hunter just did a frame grab, not an actual clip. I heard uprezzing then downrezzing would help too.

cAR3o why was it difficult removing the artifacts (time, computer intensive)?

Hey Hunter, if you happen to read this thread: What was your process of dejaggy" or "de-anti-alias" the footage.

Thanks guys for taking the time to answer my questions.

So from what I understand, the greatest limitation of projecting to screen or doing a film out would be jaggieness (I made up that word) and artifacts?

Again, thanks for all the input. Greatly appreciated.

Park Edwards
09-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Hey might have a plug-in or knows a certain way, but to remove jpg artifacts you'd have to do it frame by frame..I think. I put my footage in CS3 and used a de-noiser to get rid of it.

I'd say both time consuming and cpu intensive.

Matthew Bennett
09-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Looking at d90 images large scale, with a detailed projector, you would be lost in a jaggy world of banded, separated colors and blocky galaxies of compression.

Maybe it would cool to do an 8mm film-out or something, to sort of blur and hyper-grain the image all at once.

Fliques Osman
09-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks Car30, Mattew and Kholi.

Okay, I'm on page 179 of the original D90 thread and its on page 179 that Hunter tells about his process of dejaggy" or "de-anti-alias" the footage.

He goes on to further states that: "I am 100% sure that you could get away with a theatrical release with the D90 with some extensive post-production. As long as your DP knew how the shutter behaved and what the limits of the camera are. It would be soft- mind you - but with a good story it would make for a nice film."

This goes against what Mattew had said.

Can anyone provide more info to break the tie :). I got one for no film out and one for film out. So far the score is even.

Thanks guys

Fliques Osman
09-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Bump*

Matthew Bennett
09-25-2008, 12:34 PM
The only thing restricting you from doing a film-out is... just doing it...

I'm just trying to imagine what it might look like, is all. I'm not for or against

evilfoxhound
09-25-2008, 01:44 PM
If you're willing to do what Hunter did, be prepared for a long haul....at least.

Can someone give me a link to what "hunter did"? I can't find anything about it on the forums. Thanks.

Park Edwards
09-25-2008, 02:07 PM
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=145435&page=179

The jpeg artifact removal is something you have to do frame by frame....very time consuming. I was working on an action in PS CS3 that does it 1 second at a time. You just hit a key and the command works for 24frames.

You can try I think it's neat video and use their jpeg artifact removal as well. Might be worth it, never tried it.

evilfoxhound
09-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Ahh, thanks for the link.

Magic Bullet has a noise reduction mode (Removes artifacts). I will try to do the same thing with that and see how it goes (Upsize to 1080p > Artifact removal with MB > Downsize to 720p).

Fliques Osman
09-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Hey Matthew, didn't mean to imply that you were against it, just wanted to get a general consensus on what a film out would look like :)

So I'll re-phrase it: So far the consensus is pretty even. One opinion is that: D90 projected will look bad because of blockyness, banding, and color separation due to compression. The other opinion is: it will look alright but a lot of post work is needed.

The only thing restricting you from doing a film-out is... just doing it... I would just do the film out my self and see what happens but the D90 doesn't hit Canadian shelves until the end of the month. So I can't get my hand on a D90 until the 30th and we start shooting on the 2nd of October. Thus leaving me little time for a film out.

We were planning on shooting with a DVX100b for all the night scenes. But this D90, if it can hold up to a film out, would be much better.

Evilfoxhound, looking forward to seeing your results.

Thanks in advance for any input.