PDA

View Full Version : Baseplate solution for Nikon D90 and Canon 5D

Joseph Stunzi
09-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Hey all,

Steve Weiss at Zacuto and I have been corresponding via email recently about the changes going on in the industry with the release of the Nikon D90 and the Canon 5D Mark II. Over the past few weeks, I've been watching people post questions about using this on shoulder mounts and via other support methods. Well the fine people at Zacuto have just come out with a great solution. They call it the "micro baseplate" and its more or less a slimmed down version of Zacuto's universal baseplate meant for use with dSLRs.

This thing would be great for wedding photographers and cinematographers alike. It enables you to use your professional mattebox with your camera. It also lets you shoulder mount it using your grips and shoulder pad of choice. I definitely think this would be a good investment for anyone interested in using one of these new dSLRs for true productions.

Check it out here (http://zacuto.zenfolio.com/p408746338/h2b63f750#h222aa462).

http://img.skitch.com/20080922-cfqqgqd7uyhcnyfs71h5j5833y.jpg

Daryl Auguste
09-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Very cool looking. Checking it out right now.

ryan brown
09-22-2008, 05:08 PM
WoW. That was quick. Looks good...

Unfortunately though, if you go with Zacuto, I'm sure you'll spend 5x as much on a simple support than the camera itself.

Joseph Stunzi
09-22-2008, 06:07 PM
This baseplate will cost less than $500. No way could this cost 5x as much as the camera itself!

ESTEBEVERDE
09-22-2008, 06:44 PM
The Baseplate is less than $500.

The Body of the camera is only $999?

Zacuto makes great stuff but it is expensive.

There has to be a great solution for a great price.

ryan brown
09-22-2008, 06:50 PM
This baseplate will cost less than $500. No way could this cost 5x as much as the camera itself!

OK, I was exaggerating, but my point was that the Zacuto gear is REALLY expensive. Usually overly so for the needs of an ultra low budget filmmaker.

$500 for a BASEPLATE. Then lets add up all the other things in that picture (from Zacuto), and see where we land price-wise.

zacuto
09-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Agreed, it's not going to be cheap. But I've incorporated a lot of features into the system like being able to get your eye in the center mounted viewfinder. A completely balanced setup. And excluding the new baseplate, all of your existing Zacuto gear is used in this setup backing up my claim that Zacuto gear is good for all existing camreas and future cameras. Now you can use the exisitng Zacuto baseplate but it makes the camera package longer. So for any Zacuto UB3 orignal baseplate owners that would like to trade in there baseplates, I would give you the new baseplate for 1/2 off. All of your other Zacuto gear is compatable. Would you rather invest in 3 not so great sytems or a Zacuto system and have it last a lifetime. Remember, it's warrantied for a lifetime, even if you run over it with a car, we will repair or replace. We are that committed to having the Zacuto Experience a great one.

ESTEBEVERDE
09-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Right.

And like I said Zacuto makes excellent gear that is functional and sexy with a lifetime USA Made warranty to boot!

But, it's gonna cost ya!

I know you don't want to dilute your brand nor should you.

But, what about a more affordable starter model for the D90s and 5D MKIIs that will be coming into this world?

A complete package as pictured in the $1200-$1500 dollar range is more in order for this level of camera.

You certainly do not have to produce one but someone should.

Joseph Stunzi
09-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Why not use the Zacuto baseplate and grips and shoulderpads from other manufacturers then?

The plate enables you to use your mattebox of choice, to adjust the rod length and thus center of balance. Lots of other features i can post if interested.

However if you drop $2,700 on a Canon 5D Mark II, there's no reason a sub $500 baseplate is not a good investment!

ESTEBEVERDE
09-22-2008, 07:39 PM
I am not knocking Zacuto in anyway.

I am just saying that someone should fill the void in the marketplace with an exceptionally high quality system at a very affordable price.

Economic progress and all that! ;-)

ESTEBEVERDE
09-22-2008, 07:40 PM
P.S. http://www.ience.org/ R.O.C.K.S.! A+++++

el presidente
09-23-2008, 03:00 AM
I have mine on rails that came with a rubbish follow focus from india..and some cavision handles with a sg follow focus..looks cool...much more steady.
I will take a piccy and post.

el presidente
09-23-2008, 03:17 AM
Here it is..

There is a matte box too.
Probably cost me under 200 (minus the ff).

buildyo
09-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Here it is..

Thanks for the picture it helps me to understand how precise focusing is done but I wonder what function a matte box has (other than looking impressive). Sorry I'm a complete newbie.

ESTEBEVERDE
09-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Here it is..

Nice.

How does it line up for using live view?

Have you used the matte box?

Park Edwards
09-23-2008, 09:01 AM
looks cool.

el presidente
09-23-2008, 09:44 AM
It lines up nice for live view as you can hold camera in front of you and (yes this bit sounds crazy) you can support it with your chin at the back and that allows me to control follow focus without sticking it on my tripod...also the grips are good for standing the camera as a sort of low camera support...I have an old shoulder support too but havnt really had time to mess with this yet.

As for the matte box...for using to mount filters and attach flags(look like barn doors on a lamp) to stop stray light hitting the lens and messing with contrast.
And no I havnt used it yet.
Yes it is my "pimped up camera"

edit- Actually thinking about possibly using a standard filter tray for an slr as the matte box looks a little overkill.

buildyo
09-23-2008, 09:49 AM
As for the matte box...for using to mount filters and attach flags(look like barn doors on a lamp) to stop stray light hitting the lens and messing with contrast.

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Speed3
09-23-2008, 11:25 AM
nice rig

Joseph Stunzi
09-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Supporting it with you chin?

Get an offset on that thing and put a shoulderpad on that. That's the advantage of this Zacuto setup. You can focus with your free left or right hand and not worry about resting your rig on your chin or holding all the weight with one hand.

el presidente
09-24-2008, 02:05 AM
Sorry but dont have the cash to buy one of them...i do have an old shoulder support i will stick on it.

wcarnahan@gmail.com
10-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Would a baseplate that fits on an HVX 200 fit?

mrogers
10-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Yes, the Zacuto universal baseplate will work on many cameras including the HVX200, HPX170, RED ONE, Canon 5D, Nikon D90, Sony Ex1, Sony EX3 and many more!

Karsvall
10-28-2008, 01:25 PM
I think red rock is the answer. Have they come out with any price yet?

Andrew McMillan
10-28-2008, 05:46 PM
you man show us what it looks like with the mate box

Joseph Stunzi
10-28-2008, 06:01 PM
I think red rock is the answer. Have they come out with any price yet?

Nope no prices to date.