PDA

View Full Version : nikon curves program?

Park Edwards
09-21-2008, 12:22 PM
where is it and has anyone here used it yet?

ando
09-21-2008, 12:23 PM
so many posts on d90 section and still never heard of the most important video feature?

use the search function

bearing
09-21-2008, 03:42 PM
I've used Camera Control Pro 2 on a still camera but not on the D90 (dont' have it yet). I could basically control the camera from the computer, that is, changing settings and taking pictures, as well as changing the custom curve.

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/software/control_pro2/index.htm
30 day trial.

kfrogg
09-21-2008, 04:46 PM
tried search function myself could not find it. it sends me to the top of Kholi's invaluable epic 1,000 reply sticky...

Park Edwards
09-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Yeah, ando is probably the most condescending person here, just learn to ignore him.
nobody with the d90 has actually posted using this feature. i've never used it on any camera. any "helpful" advice would be appreciated...ando

i'm d/ling it now. i'll check it out and post on what i did. fail or succeed, i'll give it my best

Park Edwards
09-21-2008, 05:07 PM
okay, d/led it, says camera not detected?

Park Edwards
09-21-2008, 05:19 PM
all right, updated software....camera detected....after that...no idea wtf i need to do. i'll post some screen grabs, maybe someone can tell me what should be done

all right, where is the custom curve at? there's no option for curves.

brownpaperbagproductions
09-22-2008, 11:53 PM
I really want to try the custom curves since everyone raves about them. Downloaded Camera Control 2, I have the option for custom curves in the menu but it's grayed out, even when the camera is plugged in and recognized.

Park Edwards
09-23-2008, 12:07 AM
I didn't even see that in the menu. Yeah, a lot of people are raving about it, but nobody has posted any results or .....anything at all.
I accidentally changed some settings and had to reset the camera back to factory defaults because I didn't know what I changed.

Park Edwards
09-26-2008, 11:42 PM
there's not way to adjust curves on the d90 unless their is an update that i can't find

Kholi
09-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Hey--

The software that comes with the camera features a program that lets you do it. It's called ViewNX. Install that, then, go down to the QUICK ADJUSTMENTS tab.

To the left, once that tab is opened, you see LAUNCH UTILITY button. Click that.

This is the picture control utility. You create a new PICTURE PROFILE or whatever in this program and save it directly to a card. Then, you can import it in camera by going to The (Camera) Icon > Manage Picture Control > Load/Save

You can load up to like 20 custom curves.

Park Edwards
09-27-2008, 12:52 AM
ahh, it's not camera control pro 2 eh? son of a bitch

Park Edwards
09-27-2008, 12:41 PM
okay cool. I did my first curve today. I'll put it up here later when I get home. Just FYI. You will need a card reader to put your curve on and then load it to the camera. I couldn't find it in the camera menu to load curves from the computer directly to the camera. If you put your curves here I'll post them on the first page.

Kholi
09-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Right. You do need the Card Reader because, for some reason, you can't do Device mode on the D90

Way to go, Nikon.

I find that the Portrait curve and lowering the contrast is the best I can get from this thing. Looking forward to other custom curve examples, though.