PDA

View Full Version : Photographer tests 5dII video and digs it.

Mister Big
09-21-2008, 09:38 AM
What do you think?

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/09/20/something-very-interesting-is-comingboth-to-this-blog-and-to-our-industry/

Bill Grant
09-21-2008, 08:33 PM
wow. omg

Dethel
09-23-2008, 04:11 AM
Great article, really waiting on the footage he put together.
Looks great from the screen shots that he posted

Paul Shields
09-23-2008, 04:31 AM
The link to the video is here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2086

Looks quite nice :).

Dethel
09-23-2008, 05:28 AM
WOW!!!!

Unreliable quality, and that one being only a prototype. And people kinda complaining that it doesn't shoot 24P, image if it did!

--Thanks,

Ian-T
09-23-2008, 07:51 AM
WOW!!!!

Unreliable quality, and that one being only a prototype. And people kinda complaining that it doesn't shoot 24P, image if it did!

--Thanks,Um....did you really mean to say unbeleivable? Because that's how I see it....unbeleivable!! The potential for this can is great indeed...but they really need to update it to 24p and a 1/48 shutter.

Dethel
09-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Yup, That's what I meant, The quality it's just amazing and if I didn't know any better I would have said that it was shot with a bigger cam.

--Thanks,

Bionicpix
09-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Vincent is right! It's a "game changer". I have to say, I didn't seem to miss the 24p in the video he made. I'm curious to know what the audio capabilities are. I'm guessing that will be the area where it's lacking. Probably will need an external mixer. I wonder what the audio inputs are? But you can't deny that test was mind blowing, especially after reading his blog. No color correction??? Wow.

TimTheFoolMan
09-23-2008, 12:18 PM
I'll be the first to admit that 24p is why I bought a DVX100a. There's no question that it was THE factor that pushed me toward this camera instead of an XL-1.

At the same time, it's mighty hard to look at this video, made with a prototype that the user clearly hadn't had time to become an expert in, and not feel that the "game" has fundamentally changed. I doubt very seriously that I could show this movie to any non-tech person and have them wonder aloud why it looks like a soap opera and not a film. It doesn't look like film, to be certain, but it looks so much better than any other $2700 solution, I'm sure I would spend a long time banging around on it before I'd feel like I ran out of creative options or was "redlining" it.

I downloaded the .M4V file and stepped through the frames. The ONLY thing I can be critical of is the vibrations that sometimes crept through with the hood mount and some unsteadiness in the helicopter pan. Very cool video. - Tim

tomk358
09-23-2008, 01:10 PM
A few thoughts-
After the 3rd time I watched it I started to notice a lot of noise and banding in the blurry shadow areas. Not sure if that is in the source h.264 @ 17mbit/sec.

I saw he was using a small gyro below the camera during the running on the street shot, it's very smooth for hand-held. I wonder why he didn't use that on the helicopter?

Some shots were just AMAZING, others were grainy.

Bottom line, for low light shooting, it looks pretty stinking awesome. Yes, it's not 24p, but it's sure a step in the right direction.

Seriously, if Canon would stick that sensor in a XLH2 they would destroy the competition. Same goes for Sony- why don't they use their full frame DSLR sensor in a prosumer videocamera? Is it really just to protect the high end units?

Very interesting times.

qazwsx
09-23-2008, 03:09 PM
in the comments someone mentioned that they contacted canon about 24p and they responded with the typical that-feature-is-something-only-filmmakers-want deal. well duh, but put it in and i bet you'll get a ton of new customers.

this thing must be a game changer if jim jannard is re-thinking the scarlet because of it ( http://www.scarletuser.com/showthread.php?p=21391#post21391 )

edit: anyone notice the stuck red pixel?

drubynum
09-23-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm sitting next to my hulking mass of HVX/Redrock/support rods/lenses, watching this guy's video and trying to remember what is so cool about the HVX/Redrock. It looks like Frankenstein compared to this little, light, flexible, shadow loving miracle. Frankenstien plus a truck full of lights. 24P has become much less of an issue after seeing that footage.

Robert Sanders
09-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Wow. Just wow. I didn't expect to see "that"!

And I'm confused. I read on REDUser that Jim Jannard was mocking Canon for this camera and that he was "fundamentally embarrassed for Canon." Seriously? Well, that video I just saw from Laforet was breathtaking. It wasn't without some flaws (many of which could be ruled out if we could see the original footage).

This is a game changer for sure. Canon's video team and DSLR team seriously need to cram this technology into an XLH2 and starting counting the cash. Because I'd pony up INSTANTLY!!!

Bill Grant
09-23-2008, 07:34 PM
The only restriction I see for event use is the 12 minute limit on recording. Do we know if that's a memory limit or is it something internal in the cam... It has a 1/8" mic input and a shoe, so audio is just a matter of plugging in a beachtek... I echo the disbelief in this footage. Unreal.
Bill

Robert Sanders
09-24-2008, 11:26 AM
There are different taxation issues on imported products that are classified as "video" versus "still". The literature states that they're limiting the video run time to 29:59 (basically a 30 minute limit) or 4GB, whichever comes first.

Elton
09-24-2008, 01:13 PM
What about recording the camera's live video to a Nanoflash with the help of a HDMI-to-SDI converter? Better compression and no short recording times.

Just hope you can turn off display info on the HDMI output during video mode.

Will find out hopefully in November. :)

Robert Sanders
09-25-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm waiting to see what goodness Canon brings at NAB. I have a sneaking suspicion....

ecking
09-25-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm almost positive they'll have something at NAB. Maybe they'll take the old 5D's censor and put it into an XHA1 style body with a high res 3.2" screen with an ef mount shooting some kind of 50mb h264 to CF cards at 1-60fps. That'd be the ideal camera to me. It'd be nuts if it shot 2k, but 1080 I'd still be more than happy.

Bill Grant
09-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Wait, ecking, oh yeah that's it ohhh yeaah...thanks for that one. I needed that.
Bill

sambine
09-30-2008, 12:45 PM
http://videos.skateperception.com/viewvideo/15784/