PDA

View Full Version : Ipod as sync sound device?

MyFilmPro
09-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Hello,

Just thinking to kill two birds with one stone...

Does anyone know if you can set an ipod (touch or other) to record sound? Through the headphone jack? I was thinking the touch could possibly have a software for this?

thanks.

min lee
09-13-2008, 09:42 AM
I came across this recently
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/579664-REG/Alesis_PROTRACK_PROTRACK_HANDHELD_STER_AC_DC.html

I wouldn't really count on this or any ipod device to get good quality sound (although I'd love to be proven wrong). A while back, a company called Bella introduce the Catapult which is supposed to allow you to attach an iPod or any USB 2.0 device to capture with audio and video with but I think it turned out to be vaporware. I also had a griffin recorder that I attached on top of my 4G ipod. It had a mic input but I could never get that to work correctly. I read that it can only record at low quality. There's a hack to let you record at 96KHz but that only applies to 3G ipod and older. Since then I've stopped trying. If anyone found a good way to record sound with the ipod, I'd like to know too.

el presidente
09-13-2008, 10:46 AM
I have a mini dat machine...that will do the job..or a minidisk..look on ebay..you will need some sort of pre-amp/phantom power etc to power a decent mike...for me I will use another camera with decent sound capabilities...maybe an old semi pro camcorder with phantom power etc from ebay would be more usefull.

ESTEBEVERDE
09-13-2008, 02:14 PM
I came across this recently
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/579664-REG/Alesis_PROTRACK_PROTRACK_HANDHELD_STER_AC_DC.html

I wouldn't really count on this or any ipod device to get good quality sound (although I'd love to be proven wrong). A while back, a company called Bella introduce the Catapult which is supposed to allow you to attach an iPod or any USB 2.0 device to capture with audio and video with but I think it turned out to be vaporware. I also had a griffin recorder that I attached on top of my 4G ipod. It had a mic input but I could never get that to work correctly. I read that it can only record at low quality. There's a hack to let you record at 96KHz but that only applies to 3G ipod and older. Since then I've stopped trying. If anyone found a good way to record sound with the ipod, I'd like to know too.

I bought everyone here the new iPhone 3Gs and no joke they work great for recording live acoustic guitar and vocals.

I thought it would be total shyte but when one of my sons played a clip I actually thought it was something he downloaded from iTunes.