PDA

View Full Version : Yes, but is CANON listening?

wjm
09-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Canon, DO THIS and you win:

1. EOS DSLR with 24P and 30P VIDEO (1.6x crop sensor is fine)
2. FULL manual control in video mode (ISO, APERTURE & SHUTTER)
3. 720P (and perhaps 1080P at 24FPS) with smooth down-sample algorithm.
4. Faster CMOS readout to minimize rolling shutter. (Maybe a DSP/accelerometer combo to fix effect in-camera?)
5. Better CODEC - license something with a robust color space.

Cost: $1600-$2000 for body only (and you will sell millions of new lenses to go with that.)

You can either do it now and lead the market, or do it later and suffer the consequences. It's happening whether you join in or not. I love my Canon cameras and lenses and wish to stay with you.

What do you guys think? Have I left something out? (Besides the on-board espresso maker?)

min lee
09-11-2008, 11:04 AM
I'd like an audio in. 1/8" mini is fine. Hopefully canon will be more likely to do this since they have it for their video cameras.

f64manray
09-11-2008, 11:13 AM
I'd like an audio in. 1/8" mini is fine. Hopefully canon will be more likely to do this since they have it for their video cameras.

Yes, please! It's the least they could do on a $2,000+ 5D.

Matthew Bennett
09-11-2008, 12:07 PM
I agree, and I'm sure we will see the competition bending over backwards to grab this new market. It's almost changed RED's business plan overnight as well..

ESTEBEVERDE
09-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Canon will try to protect it's existing Video Camera lines.

Nikon does not have that consideration and will push hard into the market.

Like I said before, look for a "D3" and "D300" style version of the D90 very very soon!

Chris_TC
09-11-2008, 01:30 PM
I secretely hope that the D3x will come with a 1080p video mode and full manual control. But I kinda doubt it.

I'll go on a 4 week vacation in April next year. Whatever is available until then I'll buy.

wjm
09-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Audio - yeah, forgot that, but I'll tell you, I'd take mono audio in a heartbeat and record on an external device if they could achieve all the above.

With all the complaints about the rolling shutter on the D90, has anybody tried a nice (IS) Image Stabilizer lens? Might lessen the jello effect somewhat.

The more I think about it, and as others have mentioned, a real line has been crossed here with this Nikon offering. Something we've all wanted for MANY years is finally materializing - no turning back now... They're SOOOO close!

Exciting times!

[EDIT] The reason this is all happening is probably because 720P/1080P acquisition is about to become as antiquated as a Fisher Price PXL-2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PXL-2000). Something REALLY interesting must be just around the corner....

ESTEBEVERDE
09-11-2008, 04:38 PM
I think 1080p will be here for at least the next 5-10 years but the 2k stuff and eventually 4k stuff will be the next plateau

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/Digital_cinema_formats.svg/518px-Digital_cinema_formats.svg.png

f64manray
09-11-2008, 04:45 PM

I've been thinking about this. The D90 does have an audio "in". If the microphone could be removed and a pigtail 1/8 jack wired into its place, we'll have our audio in jack. Let me know how that goes. ;-)

min lee
09-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I've been thinking about this. The D90 does have an audio "in". If the microphone could be removed and a pigtail 1/8 jack wired into its place, we'll have our audio in jack. Let me know how that goes. ;-)

Let me know when you hack open your D90 and tutorialized that mod. It'd still be mono and I love my dual channel AT1800 too much to give that up.

ESTEBEVERDE
09-11-2008, 05:00 PM

If we can get a hold of a repair manual it shouldn't be that hard to open the casing and do a little rewiring.

Sounds like fun.

f64manray
09-11-2008, 05:38 PM
If we can get a hold of a repair manual it shouldn't be that hard to open the casing and do a little rewiring.

Sounds like fun.

That's the spirit. Keep us posted. :-) ..........I'm more of an "idea" man.

ESTEBEVERDE
09-11-2008, 05:51 PM
That's the spirit. Keep us posted. :-) ..........I'm more of an "idea" man.

If we can find the manual I'll give it a whirl and post the results one way or another.

Solomon Chase
09-11-2008, 06:06 PM
If we can find the manual I'll give it a whirl and post the results one way or another.

Doesn't make any sense unless you hack the firmware for better audio. Currently it records 11Khz mono! :(

f64manray
09-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Doesn't make any sense unless you hack the firmware for better audio. Currently it records 11Khz mono! :(

The highest frequency that my Mackie Onyx mixer will adjust is 12 Khz. Up to 11 Khz is the meat of the spectrum. People can't hear above 20 Khz. I know standard CD format records up 44.1 or 48Khz for some recording puposes, and still yet some engineer types want 96Khz.

Typically I record in 24bit 44.1Khz and then convert it to the Red Book format of 16 bit 44.1 Khz (standard CD format).

I would be more concerned about what the bit rate is. Is it at least 16bit? 24 bit would be preferrable. But a good healthy signal at 16 bit can be very functional.

kevm14
09-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Nyquist says that a 11khz sampling rate would mean up to 5.5khz frequencies able to be reproduced...good for synchronizing but that's about it.

min lee
09-11-2008, 08:25 PM
http://www.slashgear.com/french-magazine-deciphered-canons-destined-evolution-revealed-5d-mark-ii-specification-partially-1115958.php

Thebes
09-11-2008, 09:41 PM
It would be nice if Canon adds video to it. A lot of Nikon users have been complaining about Nikon having "compromised" their still camera with video. I know that to us it seems hard to believe, but if Canon doesn't add "soccer mom features" to their D-SLR lineup, some Nikon users will migrate away, something Nikon is sure to notice.

gregtay67
09-12-2008, 03:01 AM
I'd like to see someone with the D90 showing up at a wedding to shoot a video. There will probably already a photographer there and you showing up with a D90 and tell them you're the videographer. lol

el presidente
09-12-2008, 10:30 AM
I'd like to see someone with the D90 showing up at a wedding to shoot a video. There will probably already a photographer there and you showing up with a D90 and tell them you're the videographer. lol

problem with this is for wedding videographer...

who doesnt get call to make wedding vid cos wedding photographer offered to film ceremony and put together 10minute short of wedding with film look on their new camera that shoots film!!:shocked:

Norbert
09-13-2008, 03:23 PM
I would like to see a Canon with movie mode. I tried a 40D today and discovered that manual mode (M) worked with live view. No AE lock needed. I live in a PAL country so we have 50hz. When I set the shutter speed to 1/50, 1/100, and so on, it was perfectly synced with the light coming from a desk lamp. At 1/30, 1/60 and so on, it was not synced. The exposure changed as well, as expected. I guess it started adding gain only when I went below 1/25 shutter speed.

I would love it if Nikon had done this well on their own exposure simulation in live view.

f64manray
09-14-2008, 09:35 AM
I would like to see a Canon with movie mode. I tried a 40D today and discovered that manual mode (M) worked with live view. No AE lock needed. I live in a PAL country so we have 50hz. When I set the shutter speed to 1/50, 1/100, and so on, it was perfectly synced with the light coming from a desk lamp. At 1/30, 1/60 and so on, it was not synced. The exposure changed as well, as expected. I guess it started adding gain only when I went below 1/25 shutter speed.

I would love it if Nikon had done this well on their own exposure simulation in live view.

This is interesting, I checked to see if my Rebel XSI/450 is fully manual in live mode, and it is. ISO, shutter speed and aperture can all be adjusted, and the effects of those adjustments can be seen in the 3inch LCD.

The D5 seems certain to have video, and I'm inclined to think it will be fully manual, especially at that price point.

It makes me wonder if Nikon might also be possibly ready to unveil a dedicated video camera at Photokina since these features have been conveniently crippled in the D90.

kevob
09-14-2008, 11:33 AM
id like to see it have 100fps for shooting slo-mos like the casio but with cannon quality