PDA

View Full Version : Brevis EX1 Fix Footage

thefilmaddict
08-31-2008, 10:53 PM
I updated my Cinevate Brevis System. I also purchased the EX1 fix. I went out and shot some footage today...

http://morrisbrothersfilms.com/vivitarbrevis.html

The first shot is with a 50mm Nikon (F1.4). All of the other shots used a Vivitar 100mm F2.8 Macro lens. It's grainy when I close it down, so I leave it at F2.8. In macro, the depth of field is extremely limited. You can get some very interesting close shots.

I am getting slight black edges on the left and right sides of the image. It does not show up on a HD TV, but you can see it in a web file. Cinevate says not to zoom in past 72 (EX1 stock lens). That's where I was at. Is there a way to get rid of the edges? As advised by Cinevate, The EX1 was always between F4-F8.

I did not do any color correction in post. I did setup a new picture profile using a cine gamma pushed pretty far. I like it, but some shots with a lot of red get noisy edges. Perhaps I am pushing the camera too hard and should reduce the chroma (add it later in post). What do you think?

Film it
09-24-2008, 12:03 AM
i enjoyed that. Nice stuff!

thefilmaddict
09-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks!

Dennis from Cinevate told me that I can zoom in a little more to get rid of the edges. He also said to increase the brevis vibration (not the right word, but you know what I mean) to limit the grain.

I cranked the chroma in camera and now realize that was a mistake. I brought it down a little and will add chroma in post (just to eliminate noise in certain extreme colors). That's a safer way to shoot.

Seamus McFlannel
09-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Man that is some nice stuff.
I especially like the last section with the watch and other objects.