http://vimeo.com/1486845

enjoy

MLDman
08-11-2008, 04:49 AM
looks promising.

griffin86
08-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the reply!

We are currently working to put out more footage soon to help tell the story of the project and I think it'll be just a couple of weeks until then.

A little feedback on the EX1- being a fan of Panasonic cams and their systems put a little bias on me before going into this project. The EX1 delivered thoroughly on all fronts with outstanding sharpness, clarity, functionality of user options and performance. There were a few peeves the camera hit on which mainly fall on some of the overall ergonomics and layouts of the buttons and menus, and 20 seconds to start up the cam may be a dealbreaker for some run and gun types of shooters; also the XDCam EX long-GOP codec looks great, cuts easy but isn't a match for DVCPRO-HD under motion heavy situations- thats where the CMOS imager fails bigtime. There are workarounds for al those issues which are minor and definitely not dealbreakers. Other than that I feel like it really doesn't matter what cam I shoot with but whats the content.

adamr316
08-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the reply!

We are currently working to put out more footage soon to help tell the story of the project and I think it'll be just a couple of weeks until then.

A little feedback on the EX1- being a fan of Panasonic cams and their systems put a little bias on me before going into this project. The EX1 delivered thoroughly on all fronts with outstanding sharpness, clarity, functionality of user options and performance. There were a few peeves the camera hit on which mainly fall on some of the overall ergonomics and layouts of the buttons and menus, and 20 seconds to start up the cam may be a dealbreaker for some run and gun types of shooters; also the XDCam EX long-GOP codec looks great, cuts easy but isn't a match for DVCPRO-HD under motion heavy situations- thats where the CMOS imager fails bigtime. There are workarounds for al those issues which are minor and definitely not dealbreakers. Other than that I feel like it really doesn't matter what cam I shoot with but whats the content.

That last sentiment really says it all.

A colleague of mine shot a movie on Super 16mm. His DP shot for a major 2nd unit on two national TV shows. Perfect focus, perfect audio, great acting. But the story...well...sucked. They had a film crew of like 20 people.

The same day I screened some stuff I shot with a MiniDV camera and a Hi8 camera. Just me and my friends acting as "DP" and talent for the most part. The audience response was equal if not greater when the credits rolled and I barely broke open a small piggy bank (borrowed DV camera and a $5 tape).

Why? Because our video was entertaining. The stories we told people could relate to and laugh at/enjoy. The Super 16mm film was a bit dry and unexciting...bland is a good word. No offense to my colleague of course but...yeah.

Content is king. Now that we have the tools available at a price even mere mortals can afford with features we only dreamed of (or didn't think we needed) substance will rule.

Connect with your audience. Make them think, make them laugh, make them cry. Whatever you do, don't let them fall asleep. Yes, know your gear inside and out and buy or rent the best equipment you can afford but before you press that record button make sure what you're shooting is what people want to watch.