PDA

View Full Version : VFX artist required

Neal Buconjic
08-06-2008, 07:18 PM
My Twilightfest entry entitled "The Contract" requires some VFX to really sell a great story.

I really need a hand from someone with compositing experience - there will be a body that catches on fire. With my limited experience with AE, I'm afraid it'll look too cheesy.:(

Thank you in advance.

Neal.

Jason Miller
08-07-2008, 01:59 AM
um you need more than compositing, you need a TD, a match mover, and a compositor. you'll need someone to track the person to be flamed, if this is done on a green screen it will be easer, use the alfa in maya to emmit particles, then make those particles Emitt fluids with the proper shading on the fluids you can get some really nice fire, but it isn't easy, Fire is one of the hardest things to achive in the vfx world.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=34094557

Thank you
Jason Miller

Mattykins
08-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Neal,

I would consider doing it practically and hiring it out. As a fluid effect person, I can tell you this isn't something that can be done on the cheap.

Neal Buconjic
08-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I did some tests by compositing some stock "detonation" flame footage onto a moving person (me) in some other footage. The flames were convincing looking (after all they were real flames) though they weren't "appropriate" flames for the effect.

I'm really an AE rookie, but I thought if the real flames could be shot, they could be composited on the character who catches on fire.

I have read that fire is one of the most difficult effects to convincingly pull off - that's why I was hoping someone wouldn't have to "create" the flames. I guess I'll continue testing and will try to capture my own flame footage to experiment with.

Mattykins, by doing it practically and hiring it out do you mean have a stuntman perform the stunt? I'm afraid that wouldn't suit the story line - we need to see the character's face in the flames...

Guys, as I try to tackle this... would shooting on a black background work or should it be greenscreen?

Thanks for your assistance.

Mattykins
08-07-2008, 05:59 PM
The beauty with stunts is they can actually do it. Dunno if a stunt team would rig a non-stunt person though.

AE will never be able to do flames. This is heavy duty fluid dynamics here. Which is possible. You can make it look very realistic once you get the rig made in something like Maya. Problem is, it is very time consuming and expensive. I had to do a nuclear blast cloud for a project a while ago, and that alone took several hours to get right. Flames on the other hand is much more difficult. You might want to even consider a VFX house. I would do it for you - but I am booked solid with Perchance.