PDA

View Full Version : Ex1 actiontrailer (roughcut) + my new reel!

hkarlsen
08-04-2008, 08:55 AM
http://www.hkarlsen.no/grabs/aasmund.jpg
Hi everyone, and thanks again for a great forum on all things HVX/EX1

Thought it would be cool to get some feedback on my recent work. Ive uploaded everything to my website www.hkarlsen.no/eng (http://www.hkarlsen.no/eng), but my reel is also avaliable on vimeo (http://vimeo.com/1112698)

In may, I spent a month shooting a crazy actionpilot, handheld with up to 3 EX1 in action. I DP it, and shot it on EX1 (standard lens) with an Easyrig. Warning: This trailer is a very rough cut, no cc and very poor audio. I might post a workblog on this, because we have very talented people onboard for grading, fx and music. This was made only days after we finished principal shooting, during one night :) Here it is (http://www.hkarlsen.no/actiontrailer_rough.mov) Turn up the volume!!!

Im interested in pursuing job opportunities in the US. Do you think thats possible with this reel, and if so, does anyone has any tips on where and how to start?

Thanks again guys!
Regards
Håvar

PerroneFord
08-04-2008, 09:18 AM
VERY nice work! Obviously, some of this was handheld. Did you guys use Steadicams or other stabiizers?

hkarlsen
08-04-2008, 09:41 AM
VERY nice work! Obviously, some of this was handheld. Did you guys use Steadicams or other stabiizers?

Thanks! With regards to the handheld actionpilot, almost everything is shot using an Easyrig, a simple but powerful harnessthingy

PerroneFord
08-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Yes, I am familiar with the EasyRig. Not really a stabilizer as much as something to take the weight of the camera off with a suspension system. I was interested in it myself, but it's rather costly. At least at US prices.

Buck Forester
08-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Wow, that was cool! I downloaded the rough cut and it is well done, congrats! Lots of action too... crashing cars, stuntmen falling all over the place.

What has been your opinion of the EX1 in these kinds of shoots?

hkarlsen
08-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Yes, I am familiar with the EasyRig. Not really a stabilizer as much as something to take the weight of the camera off with a suspension system. I was interested in it myself, but it's rather costly. At least at US prices.

Perhaps not a true stabilizer, but it enables the operator (especially with small cameras) to focus on framing and; stabilize the cam. So, indirectly it is :) Its pricey here too, I rented it :)

Wow, that was cool! I downloaded the rough cut and it is well done, congrats! Lots of action too... crashing cars, stuntmen falling all over the place.

What has been your opinion of the EX1 in these kinds of shoots?

The EX1 delivers great quality images. The slow-mo 60fps mode is great for what we were after, and most importantly, the complete manual lens WITH focus highlighting. I almost never pushed to expanded focus, I had it nailed with my blue outlines. On the bad side, it is very unergonomic, has timeconsuming menus and I did encounter some flickering (not rulling shutter, but some strange horisontal strobing moving vertically)

The actionpilot was truly a great experience. Completly exhausting, with 20hour days, but rewarding when we look back. We used some of Norways most known actors, a stunt guy from Bad Boys 2, and several from the FX team at Norways biggest pyrofirm. :) !

Buck Forester
08-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks! It's great to get feedback from guys shooting the EX1 on serious 'movies' instead of just test shoot clips (which have been useful too). It seems we'll be seeing more and more now that it's been out for a few months and production results are finally coming in. So far I'm impressed.

I struggle with the menu-driven stuff too... I've never liked menus and sub-menus on anything. I'm okay with the ergonomics although that's a common complaint, the weight doesn't feel much off-balanced to me... if I had a complaint about the ergonomics it would be how easy it is to touch a button unintentionally when handholding.

The acting and cinematography in your trailer is very good... best of luck with this project, I hope you're very successful!

Buck Forester
08-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Oh, forgot to ask you... I'm assuming you shot this at 1080p 24fps (obviously aside from the slo-mo)?

hkarlsen
08-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Oh, forgot to ask you... I'm assuming you shot this at 1080p 24fps (obviously aside from the slo-mo)?

Yes, everything but slow mo is 1080 25fps (euroversion :) I think were gonna upscale the slowmo in the final version, instead of downgrading 80% of our film. What do you guys think, is that the best way to go?

Buck Forester
08-04-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm not one to ask about upscaling or editing questions... but you might want to post this trailer (and re-ask the question) in the main EX1 forum instead of this 'screen grabs/footage' sub forum. I would guess you might get some responses because it's more actively viewed than up here.

Darren Miller
08-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Seems like the EX1 performed very nicely. Pretty damn impressive action shots, too. Nice work.

joe 1008
08-13-2008, 02:06 AM
Yes, everything but slow mo is 1080 25fps (euroversion :) I think were gonna upscale the slowmo in the final version, instead of downgrading 80% of our film. What do you guys think, is that the best way to go?

Definitely upscaling the slowmo is the way to go. The distraction the slowmo causes won't make noticeable the loss of resolution to the average viewer.

lawriejaffa
08-13-2008, 02:13 AM
Yeah that was great haha i really loved the action trailer - my god so many yummy moments! Excellent work mate ;)

hkarlsen
08-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Definitely upscaling the slowmo is the way to go. The distraction the slowmo causes won't make noticeable the loss of resolution to the average viewer.

Thanks for tip! Thats kind of what I figured, but nice to have a second opinion!

tonykart125
08-13-2008, 09:57 AM
You will see more artifacts when you blow up the 720 to 1080, but I think it is def a better option than downgrading the beautiful stuff you have.

MitchLewis
10-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Great job! Really great looking stuff!

Tim Joy
11-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Wow. Very impressive action, locations, shots, lighting... Definitely left me wanting more. Great for a reel to give you that feeling.

The shot at :18 initially looked flat, but I see you have smoke in the shot. Maybe a tad more contrast on that one would make it better. Once it's wide it's fine. Maybe you should just reverse is so it goes from wide to close?

killer stuff. Makes me want to do an action movie.

jls4
11-10-2008, 11:13 AM
What the heckabell! That was pretty good. The overall edit needs some work (but you know that - it's a rough edit) but WOW. Lots of destruction... like to see that.

In your new edit. I encouage you to tell a story with your actors, not just show off the action sequences. but WOW, looking forward to an English version. :-)

hkarlsen
11-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks for great comments. Cant take much credit for editing or directing, Morten Sommerland (my filmschool friend) did that. I shot it, over 4 weeks. The film is in post right now, and exists in a complete rough cut. Going to post it here when done! Check out our action commercial while you are waiting :)

http://vimeo.com/2174306