PDA

View Full Version : Depth of field

VermilionFilms
07-31-2008, 11:19 PM
ok i just bought my first professional camera, a xl2, and am having problems getting a good DOF effect. im probably just doing or forgetting something stupid but heres what i figured out i can only take the background out of focus if the foreground take up about half the frame other then that its everything in focus or everything out of focus. any help or tips would be great thanks

Huy Vu
08-01-2008, 02:46 AM
Well, a large part of throwing the background out of focus depends on the distance between the subject and the background. The farther away the background, the easier it is to throw it out of focus. With a smaller chip size, the only way is to get the subject as far away from the background as possible and zoom in with the iris fully open.

Richard J. Johnson
08-01-2008, 04:09 AM
Buy a 35mm adapter. You won't have issues then. if not listen to Huy, he knows what he's talking about.

VermilionFilms
08-01-2008, 09:36 PM
thx guys ill give that a try. about the 35mm adapter i know i cant afford 1 now but were can i buy one and what exactly am i looking for when im buying one?

RandomHero
08-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm also interested in a 35mm adapter. I read a very in-depth review on two inexpensive models from a user on here, (both under 1k) but I'm new to the concept of exactly what they can do for you. Does anyone have some good recomendations and/or some sample video/images of adapters? Thanks