PDA

View Full Version : Can One Act Without Perfect Teeth?

seunosewa
07-29-2008, 06:36 AM
I've been thinking about playing roles in some of my films, but I have some broken front teeth. Is this a deal breaker?

Bad teeth are really distracting on video, right? Unless one is playing a homeless man, Ugly Betty, or a silent character?

GageFX
07-29-2008, 07:01 AM
You wont get leading man, but the look can be fine for character parts. I think one of the big tricks to being an actor is knowing "your role". I dont mean an exact typecast PART, but knowing where you fit in. I think all actors would like to be Tom Cruise (minus the spaceships), but when you are Clint Howard, Vincent Schiavelli (look them up) you have to acknowledge that wont happen. And then Danny Trejo is so typecast that he ALWAYS plays the same guy - tattooed Mexican Badguy. Although I think Paul Giamatti is a great case of character turned leading man.

Just be honest with yourself and know how to market yourself. Have your headshots be a composite of a couple different character types as opposed to an attempt to look leading-manish.

Erik Olson
07-29-2008, 07:33 AM
I've been surprised at the less-than-perfect aspects of some leading actors and actresses teeth. Certainly not missing teeth or chipped, but stacked, crowded or otherwise crooked are more common that you'd believe.

Not a perfect example, because it isn't too pronounced, but Kirsten Dunst has some kinda snaggly canines. For the roles she garners, you'd think she would have to be perfect in every aspect.

Will Ferrell has a terribly crowded mouth. His lower teeth look like mine did before I got Invisalign a few years ago. You'd think he would fix it, but the guy does what he does.

Look closely at the biggest actors and I think you'll see more flawed smiles than you'd expect. Course, those crooked teeth are usually five shades whiter than most of us common folk.

e

GageFX
07-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Not to be argumentative, but just to... uh... give a counterpoint. (ah...F... argue.)

Kirsten is a tad snaggley, but in the Spidermen or Bring it On or Crazy/Beautiful and think "damn that chicks teeth are messed up!" Nah. I've seen the pics on several sites that like to make fun of her, and I have a laugh, but either those pics are doctored or she is Manimal and is turning into a prehistoric tiger over time.

Look at unretouched red carpet photos. There is only slight snaggleness going on there. ALSO... beautiful women have always been able to get away with teeth that have "character". Kirtsen, Jewel, Andy Mc Dowell, Lauren Hutton, and many more.

And... Will Ferell is a COMIC actor - not a "leading man" in it's classic sense. John C Reilly is an example of a CHARACTER actor turning COMIC lead. But he's still not a "leading man".

DogDay
07-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Its whats in your heart that makes or breaks you as an actor and if you can express that or not with your talent and technique not your teeth...It does help however if you have a Cleft Chin.

But hey, if this guy can do it so can you;

http://regifilmek.freeblog.hu/files/vegyes/bobby_peru.jpg

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Sure you can
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/040423/11852__df_l.jpg'

Kidding.

Partricia Arquette has some weird teeth though.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/brendan13_photo/rp_arquette1_500_60.jpg

as others have said, know your type.

it could be quite interesting and what sets you apart.

GageFX
07-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Its whats in your heart that makes or breaks you as an actor and if you can express that or not with your talent and technique not your teeth...

Just keep telling yourself that.

Bobby Peru is a CHARACTER in a WACKED OUT movie played by CHARACTER ACTOR Willem Dafoe.

Erik Olson
07-29-2008, 07:57 AM
What part of my post about Kristin made you think I was calling her hideous? I tempered my observation about her pretty strongly. The authorized wallpapers you'll find of her clearly show exactly what I'm talking about. Which is a slight imperfection. Character. Whatever.

Will Ferrell may not be Clark Gable (do we need to talk about his teeth?), but he is definitely leading in his pictures. He may not be Cruise (thank God) or McConnaughy, but he's in some of the biggest films out there. He isn't a character actor. Clint Howard is a character actor.

These were two quick examples of blockbuster actors with what many would consider to be less-than-perfect smiles. That's all I'm saying.

Really.

e

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Just keep telling yourself that.

Bobby Peru is a CHARACTER in a WACKED OUT movie played by CHARACTER ACTOR Willem Dafoe.

and he's wearing a dental appliance in that role.

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-29-2008, 08:01 AM
What part of my post about Kristin made you think I was calling her hideous? I tempered my observation about her pretty strongly. The authorized wallpapers you'll find of her clearly show exactly what I'm talking about. Which is a slight imperfection. Character. Whatever.

Will Ferrell may not be Clark Gable (do we need to talk about his teeth?), but he is definitely leading in his pictures. He may not be Cruise (thank God) or McConnaughy, but he's in some of the biggest films out there. He isn't a character actor. Clint Howard is a character actor.

These were two quick examples of blockbuster actors with what many would consider to be less-than-perfect smiles. That's all I'm saying.

Really.

e

there's a diffrence between "male lead" and "leading man" one is a job description, the other a specific character type

and clark gable had insane ears.

GageFX
07-29-2008, 08:04 AM
What part of my post about Kristin made you think I was calling her hideous?

You okay? You need to sit down and catch your breath? What part of MY post said I thought you were calling her "hideous"?

And I am making a distinction between types of roles. Leading man, character, comic, supporting... LEAD ROLE doesnt make a person LEADING MAN.

Clark Gable (do we need to talk about his teeth?)

Maybe. Does it pertain to the conversation?

Really?

Erik Olson
07-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Well yeah. Clark Gable is one of the most famous leading men ever and there was more than one actress who refused to kiss him because of the state of his mouth. Apparently, there were some issues in there.

Again, I'm not emotional. Especially about Kirsten Dunst.

I think we can agree that Will Ferrell enjoys an above the title career in film?

Let's leave it at that.

I was using him, as a kneejerk example, to illustrate the point that there are people who have less-than-perfect teeth and still enjoy leading or principal roles (name above the title) and careers in film.

e

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Ooh ooh you Clark Gable comment reminded me of Ethan Hawke. Bad Teeth. Leading Man.
http://i1.tinypic.com/4pknegz.jpg

Stage manager friend worked on Romeo and Juliet with him and had to ask him to brush his teeth on behalf of the cast - or so the story goes.

PerroneFord
07-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Steve Buscemi. Nuff said.

GageFX
07-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Steve Buscemi. Nuff said.

Character actor. But great career.

mechis
07-29-2008, 04:44 PM
I think all actors would like to be Tom Cruise

Actually, Tom Cruise's teeth are less than perfect.

http://babyhatchetblog.wordpress.com/2006/09/20/whats-wrong-with-tom-cruises-smile/

Tom Marshall
07-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Wow. Tom Cruise has some really fucked up teeth... :huh:

DogDay
07-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks for informing me on W. dafoe...Very enlightening indeed......Not.
Anyway I was being facitious if that was missed or simply over looked is neither here nor there, the point is = NEVERMIND.

GageFX
07-29-2008, 05:46 PM
What?

Blaine
07-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Perhaps my interpretation of your question, "Can One Act Without Perfect Teeth?" is a bit literal but yes, definitely. One's teeth don't necessarily determine how someone acts. Case in point, the actor below ain't too bad...:beer:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Morgan_Freeman%2C_2006.jpg

GageFX
07-29-2008, 08:35 PM
To be clear, I was specifically referring to this part of the original post:

Unless one is playing a homeless man, Ugly Betty, or a silent character?

Certainly a person can ACT with bad teeth. The ROLE the person ends up in is something else.

Blaine
07-29-2008, 08:40 PM
I wasn't addressing you...my reply was to the OP. :)

USLatin
07-29-2008, 08:41 PM
YES... what kind of question is that? Sorry... but some of the best actors in the world don't have much that is "perfect"... the whole thing is "will it be interesting enough?" and often "non-perfect" are deeper wiser and more interesting... so if all you care about is physical beauty and don't care about all of the other forms of beauty then I guess no is the answey, but all you have to do is rent a few acclamated award winning movies and you will find that not everyone is "beautiful"... sorry if you don't like the tone of my answer but I am pissed of at the question... period. I'll try to stay away from this thread so that I don't end up saying something that get's me banned. DON'T PERPETRATE SHALLOW HOLLYWOOD... BREAK THE MOLD!

GageFX
07-29-2008, 08:43 PM
DON'T PERPETRATE SHALLOW HOLLYWOOD... BREAK THE MOLD!

Good luck with that.

USLatin
07-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Good luck with that.

THere is no such thing as trying, and I won't expect luck to make it happen, but thank you nontheless, I guess.

Tom Marshall
07-29-2008, 08:50 PM
You can try and break the mold all you want, and yeah... good luck. But the fact is, and always will be, Hollywood is a very shallow town...

But, as was mentioned, characters can get away with a lot more... they can have bad teeth, bad hair, they can be fat, they can have only one arm... they're not trying to get the "leading man" or "leading woman" roles.

There's NOTHING wrong with being a character actor...

USLatin
07-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Listen I am not insane either, just passionate... so you can also get a patched eye on legged fat hairy sweaty lead and add a bunch of other people around them too... there are no rules, just a balance... and that also doesn't mean that you need ANY "beautiful" people in your project... all you need is for your project to be beautifull... will it be harder to get people to watch it? sure... are you trying to make some quick cash? get some bimbos to fight half naked on areality show... I say you join me in trying to make movies that are deeper than that, and by all means, get "beautiful" people in them, I do too, but look for more than that... what I am furious is that someone would question if non "beautiful" people are out of the game... OF COURSE NOT, no way... and there are TONS AND TONS of movies that prove that... there are no dumb questions but there are not always nice answers... that is just retarded... sorry... act in your own movie man... and if you want to make it better add a little depth to it by making a nice example where "beautifull" people envy "ugly" people for their achievements, wisdom, etc............................................... ............

Tom Marshall
07-29-2008, 09:07 PM
I think the beautiful people do better on television, honestly... There are a LOT of people that have had (and have) very good careers despite not being extremely good looking...

These people surely aren't ugly, but they're not the best looking...

1) Tobey Maguire
2) Shai Lebuff (whatever)
3) Harrison Ford
4) Susan Surandon
5) Meryl Streep

And they're all considered "leading" types...

USLatin
07-29-2008, 09:15 PM
I never said that "beautiful" people can't be beautiful on the inside... don't know if you thought I said that, but just to clarify... by no means do I believe that... Julia Roberts is AWESOME in my book, and on top of that she is quite beautiful... no need to give examples, but I hope everyone understands my point here... otherwise I will feel severely dissapointed on the DVXuser member base tonight...

GageFX
07-29-2008, 09:25 PM
add a little depth to it by making a nice example where "beautifull" people envy "ugly" people

How does this add "depth"? It's only pushing one agenda ("ugly") over another ("beautiful").

And Tommy, they might not be your type, but I would say the majority of women would disagree with you on your male actor choices. I wont argue with the female choices, though. But I'm REALLY shallow. I put one arbitrary trait over others.

USLatin
07-29-2008, 09:29 PM
I am prety sure it isn't just my agenda, but something a little more, say... moraly correct, to treat people equaly... meaning we should not only be attracted to people with markers of good health genes or what not but also of capabilities to help evolve or just plain help humanity...? I can see that you may not like my tone, but do you serioulsy not see my point Gage?

GageFX
07-29-2008, 09:33 PM
I see your point. I dont agree with it.

...moraly correct, to treat people equaly...

You are not talking about treating people equally. You are talking about making "ugly" people MORE equal. It's asthetic affirmative action. And it's wrong. It is no more right to put "pretty" people in the backseat than it is to put "ugly" people there.

And yes, that is what you said to do.

...and if you want to make it better add a little depth to it by making a nice example where "beautifull" people envy "ugly" people...

USLatin
07-29-2008, 09:39 PM
did I say that that is the only way to add depth to a movie?!?! listen gage, you are treating me like I am guilty of something here and you are rying to find it... you are wrong... completely.

so explain myself to you: I don't want to make ugly people MORE equal... I want to offset what Hollywood has done... how are you going to try to flip that one on me now...

the reason I am pissed is that if you ask a question you are stating that there is a chance that the answer may be no

Blaine
07-29-2008, 09:42 PM
http://www.winsite.com/info/images/19500000037194/eyeof_400x300.jpg

egyptianboxer104
07-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Why do i feel like everyone is at each others throats on this threat?

maybe try to get your teeth fixed. if you can't do that, act none-the-less. make your own monologue videos and post them on youtube or your own website and go to as many auditions as possible. And I do mean as many as possible. keep an eye out for everything including roles as extras, short films, and student films. You never know where that may lead.

Good luck!

GageFX
07-29-2008, 09:51 PM
The reason I quote posts is so that I cannot be accused of flipping words. I am responding directly to your words.

If they are not what you meant, dont fault me. I'm only responding to your words.

That aside, you are still proposing to boost one group over another. And that is discrimination.

...listen gage, you are treating me like I am guilty of something here...

I'm not treating you like you are guilty of anything, I'm only disagreeing with what you are saying.

GageFX
07-29-2008, 09:52 PM
...on this threat?

Thread (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_discussion). Like a string running through the conversation.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
07-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Why do i feel like everyone is at each others throats

Gage's teeth.

http://www.fmyortho.com/images/miscellaneous/bad_teeth.jpg

Need I say more?

BTW, this is just a mild attempt to lighten up the thread.

:D

GageFX
07-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Baby... Ruuuth.

Tom Marshall
07-29-2008, 10:21 PM
That guy had a screwed up eye too...

armadillo
07-30-2008, 10:04 AM
You can get pretty far without perfect teeth. Look at the bottom row for Kevin Costner or Mel Gibson. Or look at Steve Buscemi (who clearly is not basing his career on perfect looks anyway but rather on strong character acting).

Anyway, it depends. Bad teeth will really hurt you for commercials. For character roles, they have the potential to make you stand out if they're unique without being an unpleasant distraction (eg. something like Jewel's teeth).

The point is, you don't want them to be something that doesn't fit the characters you'll be auditioning for. And you don't want them to be so difficult to look at that they prevent you from being believable on film as that character or have them "steal the show."

Having "some broken front teeth" sounds like something to the point where you might want to get them fixed. But maybe it is just the choice of wording that makes it sound kind of extreme.

armadillo
07-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Gage's teeth.

http://www.fmyortho.com/images/miscellaneous/bad_teeth.jpg

Need I say more?

BTW, this is just a mild attempt to lighten up the thread.

:D

Hey, I never gave you permission to use my headshot!

USLatin
07-30-2008, 05:12 PM
posting this is just plain retarded... and you made my point that you are just trying to win an argument instead of furthering your own intellect.

Thread (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_discussion). Like a string running through the conversation.

And one last thing about this:

That aside, you are still proposing to boost one group over another. And that is discrimination.

Then I guess you are trying to put your fingers in your ears and close your eyes cause there IS an imbalance and setting the scale straight is NOT discrimination! What kind of logic is that?!? You know what Gage, you win... here is a piece of candy. Have fun trying to debate just for the fun of it, I'll move on to doing more important things with my life. Don't try to incite a response... I said you win, congrats. :beer:

Rick Meyer
07-30-2008, 05:19 PM
I've been thinking about playing roles in some of my films, but I have some broken front teeth. Is this a deal breaker?

I don't know. Why not ask the entire country of England?! BA DA BUMP! Ha...be here all week folks...yeah, you know the rest....

GageFX
07-30-2008, 05:40 PM
posting this is just plain retarded... and you made my point that you are just trying to win an argument instead of furthering your own intellect.Maybe the guy made a typo, maybe he thinks the word is "threat". Correcting him can only help. You may be content to let him think the word is "threat". I dont see your issue with me correcting it. If it's a typo, he can say "Yeah, I know... it was a typo." If he learned something new, he can say "huh... I didnt know that." Or if he is you, who is not involved in that conversation, you can just get all upset. If that makes you feel better.

I dont need to WIN anything. We are having a DISCUSSION, not a COMPETITION.

Affirmative action: There are too many white people in Universities and in the workplace, therefore we need to REDUCE the amount of whites admitted and BOOST the amount of minorities admitted. Even if the WHITES are just as qualified or MORE qualified, the MINORITIES will be given PRIORITY. To BOOST one group by HOLDING BACK another group. Only thing is, as of 2006, the U.S. was 76% white. So logically, shouldnt they make up about 76% of both universities and the workforce?

OR.... you have the "pretties" and the "uglies". You are not only suggesting to cast more "uglies", but that it is morally superior to do so.

And I think that not only are you wrong, but your moral compass is out of whack.

How about you cast whomever is required for a particular role? How about you cat the best person regardless of their asthetic status?

Don't try to incite a response... I said you win, congrats.Again, it's called a discussion. Expect what you post in a public forum to be commented on.

Jason Ramsey
07-30-2008, 05:50 PM
stop.

DavidG
08-09-2008, 06:18 AM
Veneers are pretty damn expensive as well. if you were to get them I wouldnt recommend getting sucked into the 'go abroad' scheme, there are some places in turkey etc that do it on the cheap. BUT you can tell they are cheap by looking at them.. I looked in to the Beverly Hills clinic last week in LA and you couldnt walk out of there without spending at least 20k on a new set of pearly whites. I am looking into it myself, I personally think it help, the smile is the main feature of the face I think, it depends what your looking for in your career.

Tom Marshall
08-09-2008, 12:00 PM
If you want to be on a soap opera, then get your teeth fixed. Otherwise, I'd say leave it alone. Having imperfect physical traits will only help you stand apart from the (insanely huge) number of people you're up against for roles.