PDA

View Full Version : batt down during 500 card transfer

vamanos
07-22-2008, 12:21 AM
OK I was tranfering data directly from camera to iomaga 350 g external hard drive first 2 completed, on transfer of third card camera batt went down and turn cam off flashed I went through the procedure of shutting down, now the camera will not recognize the drive.the first 2 cards are on the drive confirmed via lap top so fire wire and drive seem good> what next

MikeD
07-22-2008, 08:59 AM
A pana rep warned me about this. Apparently if the camera is turned off while a card is active, either transferring or recording, the card has to be sent to a service department to be repaired.

Barry_Green
07-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Not true, you can turn it off or eject the cards all you want, the worst that will happen is that if you were recording a clip while doing so, you may need to repair the clip.

Vamanos isn't saying that anything happened to his cards, he's saying the hard disk is not being recognized by the camera. It's being recognized by the computer, so nothing is lost, but the camera isn't allowing it to transfer any more cards.

Sounds to me like you should copy those two good cards off that drive, then reformat the drive and try again.

MikeD
07-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Why would an external drive be affected by turning off a camera?

Barry_Green
07-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Why would an external drive be affected by turning off a camera?
I don't know, but that's what he said happened.

I can see there being an incomplete file copy and having to scandisk the drive afterward, but I don't know what else would have been affected...

vamanos
07-22-2008, 02:11 PM
the cards are fine its the hard drive that freaked out and the camera wont recognize it.how do I refromat the drive from the cam to start over.

vamanos
07-22-2008, 02:13 PM
The camera went down because the bettery died on the cam.

vamanos
07-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Right barry but how do you reformat from the cam if it dosnt recognize the drive?

PhantomVideo
07-22-2008, 03:15 PM
format the drive in a pc :)

vamanos
07-22-2008, 04:04 PM
"yes" but that would be the easy way! Im headed for Thailand on a shoot Im looking for ways to not carry computer , computer back up ,computer batts + tripod,500 ,500 batts ect.ect.through the jungle.unless I have to:(