PDA

View Full Version : Footage of Lens breathing please ??? pretty pleaseeee CAC vs SD lenses ?

LuckyStudio 13
07-02-2008, 11:36 PM
We always hear about the bad breathing of the CAC lenses.

Anyone be kind enough to do a rack focus in the wide end and tele end with their Fujinon and Canon CAC lenses ?? Also if anyone could please capture "breathing" of their high quality SD lenses.

I bet a lot of people would appreciate such footage :)

Thank you bunch !!

Noel Evans
07-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Cant do it today but I will.

Tips for handling a breathing lens. I guess everyones used the HVX, DVX, A1 or at least something similar, and got the most out of their DOF by spacing the objects, using the longest zoom etc.

I think breathing can be similarly dealt with in some respects. Obviously the DOF can be much shorter on a 2/3" CCD camera like the HPX, so you dont need to cheat so much to achieve shallow DOF, but what you can do is cheat the breathing. Of course breathing is where there is a focal adjustment and theres also the appearance of a zoom change (which you dont want). If your pulling focus from one subject to another and the first point can become utterly out of focus the breathing looks less apparent as the first point of reference is pretty much gone.

If you are slightly pulling focus from two heads relatively close its not so much an issue as its only a slight diff in focus anyway. Relatively speaking. Because if those heads are between 3-5 meters away and your on about 30mm, breathing can be seen very easily in the focus pull.

LuckyStudio 13
07-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks Noel, i am sure a lot of ppl here would love to see how one can shoot with the stock lens and minimize the breathing. :thumbsup:

cheezweezl
08-04-2008, 04:36 PM
i just posted some footage of an sd lens that breathes like crazy. there are some racks at the tele end of the lens here.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=143208