PDA

View Full Version : A Day In the Woods

pathfinder
05-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Hey All. Spent a few hours in the woods of Minnesota shooting some nature shots testing my HPX and the DOF capabilities of it's standard Fujinon HD lens. Here is the result.

http://www.vimeo.com/1067020

GND
05-28-2008, 07:09 AM
beautiful images. I see your a fan of shadows casted onto light spots...so am I, I did a bunch of test shots like that when I got my DVX a while ago.
Especially liked the shot near the end of the fly walking around, very good shallow DOF.

one question..why was it that the first shot looked very "digital" and pixelated? Was it over exposure? or does this camera have trouble with that kind of lime green? (leaves looking "up" the tree to the sun).
I ask because I'm planning to use this HPX500 on my next few short films and want to avoid that "mush of pixels" look.
It was really just that first shot for me. the rest was very pretty.

pathfinder
05-28-2008, 08:41 AM
beautiful images. I see your a fan of shadows casted onto light spots...so am I, I did a bunch of test shots like that when I got my DVX a while ago.
Especially liked the shot near the end of the fly walking around, very good shallow DOF.

one question..why was it that the first shot looked very "digital" and pixelated? Was it over exposure? or does this camera have trouble with that kind of lime green? (leaves looking "up" the tree to the sun).
I ask because I'm planning to use this HPX500 on my next few short films and want to avoid that "mush of pixels" look.
It was really just that first shot for me. the rest was very pretty.

Thanks GND. Yes, I like natural lights and shadows and blocking the camera around them to get creative shots instead the other way around. The first shot looks fine on the original footage although it did look flat because it was a wide shot that was a bit over exposed, the leaves aren't moving, and the color grading bleeds a bit of the green and the vimeo version was highly compressed.

The HPX500 is a good camera with lots of manual control options. So, if you're also shooting with controlled ligts, your films should come out awesome. Thanks for watching and leaving me your thoughts.

Lawsuit_Boy
05-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Wow, those greens really pop! Beautiful footage, pathfinder.

dory_breaux
06-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Yummy! I liked that alot.

pathfinder
06-06-2008, 07:27 AM
Thank you all.

shaun1970
06-08-2008, 03:59 AM
Gorgeous, absolutely stunning, makes me wish I had a spare $25k

Ryanwar7
06-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Great video. Colors are amazing.

Also, just wondering... what kind of compression did you use to make that fit on Vimeo?

STORMDAVE
06-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Looks great!

Can you tell me how you got 2.35:1 anamorphic aspect ratio? Easy way in FCP?

pathfinder
06-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Looks great!

Thanks. Actually it was regular 16x9 aspect ratio. I just matte them out to look like 2.35:1. But I believe you can do it in After Effect. All edited in Edius Broadcast. Thanks for watching.

Bayne
06-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Looks great!

First of all beautiful footage. Im thinking of taking a week through Oregon, see family and shoot around, maybe put together an hour or so of footage.

Dave: There is a video effect setting in FCP that mattes to 2.35.

pathfinder
06-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Thank you Bayne. I used to live in Portland, Oregon. So much beauty up there. I hope you get lots of good stuff. Enjoy your time with the family and also enjoy your shootings. Put it up on Vimeo so we can see it when you got it edited.