PDA

View Full Version : So, what's the next fest?

Captain Pierce
05-21-2008, 06:15 AM
I figured it was about time we got one of these threads in this Fest forum... :D

mjjason
05-21-2008, 07:07 AM
:) Was thinking the same thing. Also, I won't be surprised if the next dvxuser Fest will include pursuit as part of the them. Maybe something like Horror Pursuit or something. That way they can leverage some of the scripts here into the next fest. Just a thought ;)

alex whitmer
05-21-2008, 07:23 AM
That's an interesting idea. There were so many good ones, it would be great to piggyback the fests this way.

Course, that may take away some of the thunder of having first place produced, and I'd hate to see that.

I'm sure there is a balance somewhere.

a

seansshack
05-21-2008, 07:27 AM
A new subject might be a better idea. Give a new batch of stories to read/review/write.

alex whitmer
05-21-2008, 12:57 PM
I thought he meant the theme of pursuit would be the theme for the next film fest.

?

Alex

Barry_Green
05-21-2008, 01:14 PM
I think that's what was meant as well; that way ScriptFest entries this time, can become DVXFest entries the next time...

... although, we wouldn't want DVXFest to become predictable that way; half the fun is finding out what the new theme is going to be. Well, we're still about a month away from launching a new DVXFest so this is just something we can think about...

seansshack
05-21-2008, 01:20 PM
when I read "leverage some of the scripts" I got the impression it was suggested to re-use and revise some scripts for the next fest.

To use the script for the movie fest might be a good idea - if members united to make shorts...

Captain Pierce
05-21-2008, 07:08 PM
... although, we wouldn't want DVXFest to become predictable that way; half the fun is finding out what the new theme is going to be.

Heh, somehow I had a feeling you guys would say something like that :), which is why I thought better of a suggestion to tightly integrate the fests in my first post. It would definitely change the nature of the movie Fests to have that kind of advanced warning, and from the looks of the things, the movie Fests seem to be working just the way you guys want them to already.

I wonder, though, given the way that the movie Fests have shifted from a genre to a broad theme if y'all couldn't sit down and scheme up a way to loosely tie a script Fest to a movie Fest, by making the themes compatible (but not identical). One problem I see with that is incompatibility in the number of pages; I don't know how I'd go about trying to cut my entry down to six pages (or so) for a six-minute Fest entry. ;)

Then again, it's probably not necessary. Maybe the important thing is just highlighting the fact that there are those of us here at DVX User who aren't ever going to pick up a camera and try to make a film, but are willing and hopefully seen as able to help out those who do. :)

mjjason
05-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I meant using these scripts in the next film fest. Somehow integrating the theme of pursuit into the next film fest. Though I am not sure how it would work anyway. Just something to consider.

Isaac_Brody
05-21-2008, 11:04 PM
I have an idea for the next one, just need to figure out some guidelines stuff for next time around: Just some changes that will make it easier and help everyone get on the same page when it comes to script grammar, structure, etc.

seansshack
05-22-2008, 03:14 AM
How about a coloration fest?
Juts thinking about the suggestion here for using the theme of pursuit from script fest within the film fest - allowing the filmmakers to cherry pick the finest stories for their projects).

How about a fest (whatever the theme) that requires a coloration between those who write scripts here and those who film (and have access to the equipment).
The film makers are always looking for good scripts and being a writer I know the one thing the writers want is to see their work come to life.

It may seem unfair for those you might do both already - but team up anyway and let someone else do the writing or the production side of things.
Who knows might be a perfect way to learn from each other, as well as learn more about the production or writing process.

I imagine the quality of shorts produced work be amazing (just browsing the boards here you can feel the talent).
The winning prize? Entry into a festival elsewhere: promoting both the film makers and the site.

This way even if you don't win, all those involved walk away with a completed piece that can be used to show their talents...

Just spit balling.

Mark Harris
05-22-2008, 03:42 AM
coloration? I don't quite get it.

Captain Pierce
05-22-2008, 04:11 AM
I think he means "collaboration." :)

seansshack
05-22-2008, 05:25 AM
yep - late night...new baby and crappy spllechek, sorry sepllcheck .......

Back to sleep for me (for another 5-10 minutes)

alex whitmer
05-22-2008, 09:14 AM
I would think they need to produce the film Cold Calls first (?) We all know how that whole process can lag.

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to seeing the film, and to the next fest.

Alex

www.alexwhitmer.wordpress.com (http://www.alexwhitmer.wordpress.com)

www.guerro.wordpress.com (http://www.guerro.wordpress.com)

seansshack
05-22-2008, 11:11 AM
True.

Just an idea to join resources for the same end goal. Rather than talented people working on separate projects...

Well done on the third place BTY.

alex whitmer
05-22-2008, 01:35 PM
help everyone get on the same page when it comes to script grammar, structure, etc.

Uh-ho. Did somebody go overboard?

a

www.guerro.wordpress.com (http://www.guerro.wordpress.com)

Isaac_Brody
05-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Uh-ho. Did somebody go overboard?

No, but I do think that the scripts that don't follow proper formatting are harder to read and end up not getting as much feedback. This is common sense stuff I want to require, spellchecking for example. One or two typos a script isn't that big a deal, but when there's over ten of them it's distracting.

Russell Moore
05-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Is there any chance we could get a forum or something that was dedicated to script feedback?
I know you can post them in the Screenplay/Writing forum ,but they seem to get lost in the shuffle. I don't know, maybe there isn't as much call for it outside of Scriptfest, but this worked so well, it would be nice to keep it going.

ConspiracyPenguin
05-23-2008, 04:56 PM
No, but I do think that the scripts that don't follow proper formatting are harder to read and end up not getting as much feedback. This is common sense stuff I want to require, spellchecking for example. One or two typos a script isn't that big a deal, but when there's over ten of them it's distracting.

Okay...so you WEREN'T talking about my crazy-arse novel-script format idea I tried. Good. That being said, next time I am sticking to standard everything. Looking forward to the next one.

You know what would be cool? Either for this, the film fest or both. A fest where the theme is filmmaking. Your script/film has to be about filmmaking. Not a documentary, but a story about filmmakers, the process, the trials, the late nights, the love affairs between the drector and lead actress, the equipment issues, etc...

You could really make a cool film base around making a film. Hmmm...

alex whitmer
05-23-2008, 08:52 PM
You could really make a cool film base around making a film. Hmmm...

Been done ...

http://www.film101themovie.com/crew.htm

Maybe not in a fest, but ...

Have a peek at the synopsis.

Alex

Isaac_Brody
05-23-2008, 09:42 PM
You know what would be cool? Either for this, the film fest or both. A fest where the theme is filmmaking. Your script/film has to be about filmmaking.

Sounds a little bit student filmish to me. I feel like scripts/films about films are a little too niche. Sure if you make films you get it, but it often becomes more about being clever than creating an emotional piece that takes an audience on an emotional journey.

ConspiracyPenguin
05-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Been done ...

http://www.film101themovie.com/crew.htm

Maybe not in a fest, but ...

Have a peek at the synopsis.

Alex

www.alexwhitmer.wordpress.com (http://www.alexwhitmer.wordpress.com/)

Similar to what I was thinking, but that is more along the lines of an instructional piece while at the same time a film with an actual story. Close, though.

Sounds a little bit student filmish to me. I feel like scripts/films about films are a little too niche. Sure if you make films you get it, but it often becomes more about being clever than creating an emotional piece that takes an audience on an emotional journey.

This is definitly a possibility, but I think it all depends on the writer. For example, you could take that theme and turn it into a total "inside film" in that most of the referneces would only be understandable to people like us. On the other hand someone like me would take that theme and write a totally complete story (protagonist/antagonist, plot line, deeper meaning, etc...) around the career of filmmaking.

For example, I might write a romantic comedy about a director falling in love with the lead actress on a film he is doing or I might write a horror story where a psych-ward escapee finds a job as a light technition and starts to kill off the cast and crew of the film. This is what I was thinking, an actual story simply based around filmmaking, still giving you that "emotional piece that takes an audience on an emotional journey."

I don't know. I see your point, but I think if it was done right it could be good. It could also turn out quite a large variety of entries. I say as long as each writer/filmmaker puts most of his/her focus on creating a good story and less on making a cliche filmmaking film it would be great. Just me weighing in on the issue.