PDA

View Full Version : DVD: Sound for Film and Television

Larry Rutledge
05-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Click here for more info and to purchase (http://dvxuser.com/articles/dvxshop/SoundDVD/)

Drew Ott
05-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Sweet.

I'm getting this.

Jim Brennan
05-03-2008, 12:46 AM
Mine is on its way

ianmcc
05-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Does Canada get the US price or the "International" price? :-)

David Jimerson
05-03-2008, 09:08 AM
International.

Lor
05-07-2008, 10:42 AM
How long is does the DVD run?

David Jimerson
05-07-2008, 10:44 AM
A little over 2.5 hours. Sections on basic principles, microphone choices and gear, recording techniques, location management, and post-production basics, all roughly the same length -- except recording techniques is longer. More info is available by clicking the link above.

slimchrisp
05-07-2008, 11:37 AM
so, next a dvd on lighting perhaps?

phd
05-07-2008, 03:03 PM
got mine today

Jeff Anderson
05-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Just watched most of this (everything but post, saving that for tomorrow!) This is incredible! I actually thought I kinda had a clue as to get good sound. Ok yeah not so much :) I was getting "ok" sound, but now I have the tools in my head to get really good sound with the equipment I've been using poorly. Just seeing it done makes so much more sense than reading it.

Also this video is a riot! Barry and everyone do a great job of entertaining. My wife (rarely involved in prod work) watched with me and enjoyed it and came away with knowledge of why certain things are better when and was asking questions. Kudos to you guys for making this something that interests people with little knowledge of the field.

I'll definitely be using some of my new knowledge to play around this weekend and see what I can do. Thanks guys! Even if you arent aspiring to be the sound guy this is worth watching just so you know what the heck and why they are doing what they do.

Barry_Green
05-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Great review jdajda, thanks!

Jeff Anderson
05-07-2008, 07:46 PM
No thank you! That's all sincere realness there guys. This really is one of those DVD's you wont put away because you'll be watching it again and again. How did Matt put that lav on? Time to go watch again...

If I had to nitpick... a few times some industry terms like foley were thrown out assuming you knew what they meant. Granted most of us do, so some people may go huh what? But they can always do a little searchin on the dvxuser and find out what that means...

Loved the Full Metal Jacket spoof. That was priceless. Had to watch that section twice it was so darn good. Also was great to see a variety of micing techniques used through the production. All sounded great (obviously), but it gave a great real world difference of Matt on a lav and Barry being boomed. Once again, outstanding work guys, cant wait for the next one!

David Jimerson
05-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks, Jeff -- always great to have people appreciate your work! Hope you're still as excited about the post section. :lipsrseal

Jim Brennan
05-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Kudos gentleman. A long-overdue asset. This one is a must-have, if for no other reason than to see Barry slapping people around. :beer:

Jeff Anderson
05-08-2008, 05:06 AM
Thanks, Jeff -- always great to have people appreciate your work! Hope you're still as excited about the post section. :lipsrseal

Oh of course. I had to save it because I was getting tired and wanted to give it my full attention. :) 2.5 hours is alot in one night. Kudos on the editing David, I think this is the first instructional dvd I've seen that actually has good editing and makes good use of multiple camera angles. And I'm assuming your responsible for the mic patterns overlayed on the scenes. Those really drove it home for me. Especially when Matt steps through the pattern in front of the mic.

Its weird because it was stuff I knew and kinda understood but now having seen it done in actual practical situations I feel 20x more confident. I'm hoping after I practice some I'll feel even more confident.

He he only home movies and steers.... you guys are a riot!

Ted Arabian
05-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Yes! Just ordered my copy!!!

mburgh
05-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Click here for more info and to purchase (http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/DVXPage/)

This DVD is worth more than than the price. I learned so much about sound that I bought a Oktava Mk0-012 from Ebay as soon as the video ended. I fell into the wireless lav trap for the documentary I just finished shooting. I kept wondering why the sound from the boomed shots we did sounded so much better than my lav shots. Now I know why. My Azden Wireless lavs go onto Ebay tomorrow.

Great work guys! How about a lighting video up next?

Mark Burgh

gco
05-08-2008, 06:59 PM
From the episodes I have seen so far, there has obviously been a lot of thought and planning put into this project. Barry's explanation of the inverse square law and the relationship between mic distance and signal/noise ratio was really punctuated by the use of the jittering numeral in the equation and the "ding". Very effective. Actually made me laugh. Without that, I can see some people's eyes might glaze over.
Matt's explanation for targeting a boomed shotgun to your fist in front of your face to avoid talent stepping forward out of the lobar pattern was impressive. When Matt steps forward you not only hear the drop off you see him step out through the blue highlighted lobar region and then back behind it. You not only hear the change, you see it. Very cool. Very effective.
Barry's demonstration of a properly used cheap mic vs. an improperly used expensive mic was effective as I'm expecting others to be that I have not yet seen.
Obviously a lot of thought and planning was put into this project. It not only gets the information across effectively, it's a lot of fun.
Fantastic work guys!
I really appreciate you getting this product out here :thumbup:

Edit: ...the post production basics were the cherry on the cake! :birthdays:

mark viducich
05-08-2008, 08:33 PM
got my SOUND dvd yesterday and liked it so much that i watched the entire presentation in one sitting really liked the way the subject was presented with not only humor but some of the sets were amazing especially the diner just loved that look learned one very valuable lesson and that is simply get that mic off the camera and move it as close to the talent as humanely possible--without being in the shot of course and lastly it
cost me an additional $219 to watch the dvd as i could not resist getting the oktava mic

ecking
05-09-2008, 07:47 AM
I just bought it. Can't wait!

krestofre
05-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Just watched my copy. Really a top-notch job. Excellent resource.

David Jimerson
05-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Guys, thanks for all the great feedback. It's gratifying to have an effort so well-received. :)

MattinSTL
05-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Yes, I'm thrilled that the DVD is well-received. Barry and Jimerson definitely did a first rate job! I was honored to be a part of this, and who knew Barry was this much fun?

Jim Brennan
05-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Yeah, and I think it's the first time I've ever seen him in anything but a white button-down shirt.

Shawn Philip Nelson
05-09-2008, 11:45 PM
About damn time :-). So Matt, I take it you scrapped your original one to do this one with Barry?

Btw, ordered this today, cant wait to see it!

MattinSTL
05-10-2008, 05:24 AM
About damn time :-). So Matt, I take it you scrapped your original one to do this one with Barry?

Btw, ordered this today, cant wait to see it!

Trust me, it's an honor to be any part of a project with Barry (and Jimerson, for that matter)... so I'm glad it worked out like this... just look at Barry's past dvds! It's ironic... the passing of time from when I first came to DVXuser (with my very first LONG post... in the audio forum)... back then there really wasn't any kind of movement in the audio section. It was a dead-spot compared to the rest of the forum... much like it is in many productions ;-)

I love how ALL the branches of DVXuser are raising the bar so high for production.

There's no doubt that we (as a community) are already on an elevator of sorts... ascending from the ground floor and learning/growing together as a community. The fests are proof that this is true.:thumbsup: ...and I'd like to think that is what this dvd is all about... guaranteeing that everybody can get good results in location audio.

Jeff Anderson
05-10-2008, 05:34 AM
I'll toss in a few more words on this - Before I watched the dvd I knew what to do and how most of what was explained worked, but my sound was still just ok when putting this knowledge into practice. Now that I've seen it done (and learned a few more little helpful tricks), my micing ability is ten times better and I'm not making any guesses any more. Just did some tests last night to see if I could get sound as good as Matt did on the video and sure enough I did. Seeing it done and not just reading about it made a HUGE difference for me. Thanks Matt for the hard work and time you spent on this project.

Neal Buconjic
05-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Just placed my order.
When the DVD arrives, I'm having a viewing party with my small crew.

I've got decent equipment - but knowing how to get the most from it is key!

Thanks for putting this product out guys. Long overdue!

Ted Arabian
05-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Wow! What a great video!!!

Shipping time was unbelievable. I actually received my copy 47 hours after I placed my order.

But the real kudos goes to the content. I learned so much in this video! Great job of delivering the information. Not just the delivery (which was awesome), but to the organization of it and content of the information. A well conceived dvd from start to finish, executed without flaw!

From the opening, my attention was grabbed and it never let go. Even during some of the "drier" moments, my attention was held. It was just so great to visually see the explanations. I even turned to my wife (who got wrapped up into this video while correcting papers) and said, if I had to read this, I'd be bored. Not so with the presentation.

And I learned so much... I finally understand the different cardioid patterns. I've seen them drawn out (those little heart-shaped figures) but I didn't really grasp them. In this video, the patterns are made clear and understandable as they are put into real-life examples with clever vfx. And I've heard the term Signal to Noise ratio but again... didn't quite grasp it. And the list goes on. (Obviously, I am not a sound guy! But, after this, I feel that I have such a better understanding.)

Hats off to Matt Gettemeier. That guy gave some great information that was explained in simple and easy to follow terms. I never felt confused or lost in his explanations and instruction. I thoroughly enjoyed his segments.

And I just have to say that Barry Green is one funny dude! I had no idea!!! I was cracking up out loud at his stuff. Funny, funny dude! And that Polar Pattern bit... I was just like, "this guy is doing everything for this video!" (Barry, I have always been a fan of yours but you now have another... my wife. She just loved you!) Seriously, Barry conducted this DVD with a sense of humor while delivering the goods. He, like Matt, provided information that was clear and understandable.

This is a MUST HAVE for any independent filmmaker making their way into this business. Even if you have no desire to ever be a sound engineer or boom op, you'll appreciate what duties and responsibilities lie in their departments. And even if you know everything there is to know about sound, you'll enjoy this dvd. Barry Green is a freakin' riot! The skits are awesome!

Lastly, this dvd is going to be watched by my next boom op. Obviously, I would love a "real" boom op but since I don't have one, my "PA" who ends up holding the big stick with the mic thingy on the end is going to watch a few selected chapters.

Really well done. David and Barry and Matt did an outstanding job putting this together. Worth every penny!

Thanks guys!

Kyle Stebbins
05-10-2008, 02:45 PM
hmmm... you've piqued my interested, Ted man.

Ted Arabian
05-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Dude... buy it! If only to watch Barry the man! This DVD is a great piece of entertainment!

Jeff Anderson
05-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Yeah just watching Barry is worth it. I've got my share of books on sound, lighting etc and I cant stand reading them for more than an hour. I could watch this dvd on a continuous loop.

gco
05-10-2008, 08:35 PM
There's no doubt that we (as a community) are already on an elevator of sorts... ascending from the ground floor and learning/growing together as a community. .......and I'd like to think that is what this dvd is all about... guaranteeing that everybody can get good results in location audio.

With guys like you, David, Barry and a lot of other people who collectively open that door for guys like me, this place is certainly a fountain of knowledge.
BTW Matt, your delivery on cam was very effective. Well done. Between you, David and Barry, I think I actually learned a few things. :grin:

Ted Arabian
05-11-2008, 06:00 AM
Whoa! Wait a minute!!! MattinSTL is Matt on the DVD??? Didn't know that.

Very cool.

And I absolutely agree, very effective. But I'll pass that along to you in a PM.

Again, great DVD. I am SO glad that I bought this.

Jeff Anderson
05-11-2008, 06:25 AM
Yep, same Matt. Got to put some of my knowledge into use yesterday. Mic on a boom for a two person interview. Used a cardioid to make sure the both were in the pickup. All was well but the space I was in wasnt ideal. Large rectangular had walled office. Lots of hard surfaces. Angled them so the reflections would bounce around more before coming back and then threw some blankets up on the wall at the first second and third reflections. Improved it quite a bit. Still a little echoey, but definitely better than it could've been, and had a nicer live feel than lavs. Its kind of a test project anyways as I've been really playing with techniques in sound and lighting as its a personal deal for my grandparents. Also use only practical lighting and battery powered lights and it was perhaps some of my best lighting yet - and it all packs up in a little pelican 1510! MInus the stands of course.

eta - couldnt have done this without you guys. Thanks for keeping me inspired to get the best darned audio I can. Its nice to not feel limited because I dont have a mixer or dont have a really expensive mic or even a boom op. You guys even have made this attainable for those of us that are all too often one man banding it.

Ted Arabian
05-11-2008, 06:29 AM
That's cool Jeff. I am looking forward to breaking out the mic and experimenting. But I must confess.... I am searching for that Oktava mic right now! I don't have a hyper-cardioid mic.

And thanks for confirming the Matt's!

Jeff Anderson
05-11-2008, 06:36 AM
http://www.oktava.com/inc/sdetail/474 - best place I know to buy one. If you can bump up your budget a bit look at the se 300/ck 93 combo from akg. Doesnt have the handling noise issues of the oktava, albeit at a slightly higher cost.

Ted Arabian
05-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Wow. That is a great site! Nice tribute to dvxusers and to Matt. Thanks for pointing this site out.

Cryogenic Filmworks
05-11-2008, 07:21 AM
That's cool Jeff. I am looking forward to breaking out the mic and experimenting. But I must confess.... I am searching for that Oktava mic right now! I don't have a hyper-cardioid mic.

And thanks for confirming the Matt's!

Ted, try sound-room.com (http://www.sound-room.com/oktava). Put in the discount code "DV". I have the Bello Nero (the black version).

(oops.. jdajda's link ends up at the same place).

Ted Arabian
05-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks CF, I appreciate you being on top of this. Great site!

David Jimerson
05-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks for posting the review on Amazon, Ted! :thumbsup:

Ted Arabian
05-11-2008, 01:26 PM
My pleasure. :thumbsup:

acoelho1
05-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Just purchased mine and eagerly anticipating. I know someone has already brought it up but I hope you guys work on a lighting one next.

David Jimerson
05-12-2008, 12:13 PM
some of the sets were amazing especially the diner just loved that look

Thanks. The diner was a practical location (which is now closed).

The motel room at the beginning was the first use of that particular set; it was redressed to become the house in A Little Mouth to Feed.

Larry Rutledge
05-12-2008, 03:01 PM
I just completed watching this video from start to finish. Only one word needed to describe it .. Fantastic!

Film may be a visual medium, but since the invention of talkies Audio has become one of, if not, the most critical element in expert film making. And if audio is not one of your strong skills, then definitely pick up this video and you will take your films to the next level in terms of overall quality and professional believability.

I came into these videos with a fairly good grasp on the science of audio, but my practical knowledge especially as it relates to film was lacking. So I watched, and LISTENED, with great excitement to learn that I could expect to achieve above average results with gear that is more within my personal budget. And, of course, making these techniques a regular part of my process means that quality goes up that much more when my budget allows for even more professional and high-quality equipment.

I was ver pleased to see that this instructional DVD used various methods to demonstrate the information that was being delivered. And the thing that I probably liked the most was using the same scene to illustrate the problems and solutions and how they affected the overall sound. A scene was played out, and the sound was discussed, then played again with the described modifications put into place so you could HEAR the difference.

There are elements of audio and sound, particularly the science of it, that can get dull at times. By using a variety of demonstration techniques it kept my attention throughout the entire video. Also, having 3 distinct hosts, for specific portions of the video helped keep me drawn in as well.

The DVD is very well organized into categories that build on each other and also make it easy to find a specific topic for review in the future. It works fine to watch this from start to finish, as I just did, but it also works well as a reference material which allows you to look up an individual topic for review or to find a piece of needed technical information.

Barry Green is clear, well spoken and his content is well thought out and organized. He does a great job of delivering and keeping me drawn into the material. And, he threw in a few surprises as I didn't realize he was an actor on top of all his other skills. Was fun to watch him engaged in the "skits" that demonstrated the information.

Matt Gettemeir does an excellent job of explaining technical information in a clear, simple way without making it too simple. At times I felt he repeated some information unnecessarily, but then realized it was in another chapter and was important information in both, so when I go back later to review a particular chapter to get one piece of information I'll have all the information I need.

David Jimerson always does a great job of explaining the specific details involved in a post production environment. Being a Vegas editor myself I liked seeing the familiar editor in the examples, but liked that all the post information (including the screen grabs) were kept generic enough that they can be employed by any NLE out there now or in the future.

This is a fantastic product and if you intend to do any film making you need to get this and watch it. Even if you intend to bring on a sound recordist to do the on set audio portions for you, it would be a good idea to watch this so you know their job well enough that you can work together to make each other's lives much easier.

Order this today!

mark viducich
05-12-2008, 08:52 PM
the sound room offers a 5% discount for dvxusers

HorseFilms
05-13-2008, 09:07 AM
I just ordered a copy. I can't wait to see this.

JauJau
05-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Will I be able to watch it in my european dvd player?:undecided

Barry_Green
05-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Most nearly all PAL DVD players support NTSC DVDs. I would be very surprised if it didn't work on your European DVD player. It will also work in your computer.

phd
05-14-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm in Sweden and I have no problem to play the DVD or PC.
The DVD is great for me to restore my knowledge about sound :happy:

KyleProhaska
05-14-2008, 09:02 AM
I think he was thinking about the Region being incompatible. Region Free DVD's....amen.

Barry_Green
05-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Yep, we're region-free. Thanks for confirming that it worked, phd!

KyleProhaska
05-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Just got done watching mine, very impressive. Well thought out and explained clearly and efficiently. This is definitely something anyone interested in indie film should purchase. Even if you know a lot this is a good way to brush up on the fundamentals and solidify your knowledge.

Kudos to everyone who worked on this, awesome job.

acoelho1
05-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Just finished watching and for someone who is a novice in the audio realm, this video is very informative. I expecially liked the examples given by industry professionals such as how to properly use the boom mic and yes Barry I will keep it close. I do have a question though.... lets say you want an extreme wide shot so you shoot the audio first as the example used in the video but you want the audio to reflect that distance. Is it just simply moving the boom further away from the subject and will that alone reflect the distance of the camera or will I have to adjust the audio in post.

David Jimerson
05-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Almost ALWAYS better to adjust the level in post.

Lor
05-15-2008, 06:05 AM
One thing I like about the Hollywood Camera Work DVD course is because there is a forum for discussing or asking additional questions. I wonder if there is something like that for this DVD if after we watched and we have further questions.

Jeff Anderson
05-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Yeah DVXuser should start having forums!

MattinSTL
05-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I expect a couple questions regarding the contained info... forum or otherwise, feel free to ask away.

There are a couple small things I would have added later on... minor stuff like a loop-tie on your lav wire. If you are laving talent and expecting the lav to stay put for an extended period of time (which is a BAD idea... lavs work loose through the actor's motions)... then a loop in the wire can provide some insurance, for the FIRST snag at least... after that it can pull loose.

I'm always happy to talk about audio and answer any questions (even pertaining to the DVD), but I think something we'd have to be wary of is creating a "secondary audio forum"... where there's just a new flood of the same questions, that have already been answered OR have the answer provided on the DVD.

Ted Arabian
05-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Matt, you DID talk about looping the lav wire and holding with Gaffers tape... unless you are talking about something different.

And I believe that jdajda is being facetious (if you were referring to his comment.) :happy:

Jeff Anderson
05-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Me, facetious no!!! I think Matt was replying to the same post I was. Would love to see a thread with any other tips and tricks you might have up your sleeve though Matt or anything you want to add to the video.

Ted Arabian
05-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Would love to see a thread with any other tips and tricks you might have up your sleeve though Matt or anything you want to add to the video.
I second that request!!!

Jeff Anderson
05-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Just wanted to add some more here - I FINALLY watched the post section. Sure I learned alot in the first few chapters. David totally steal the show in the post section as far as I'm concerned. Not having a clue what I am doing with audio usually he shows us from beginning to end a scene that has beautiful audio in the end and what it takes to get it there. It was so surprising and reassuring to hear audio with mismatched levels and this noise and that and to hear what adding some ambience can do for a scene. Was very interesting to see all the work required even though the audio was well done during production. And a few good tips on actual audio/video edits just to make it more interesting. And rotoing out the mic on a locked shot - that was great. Tried it this weekend in an interview just for fun. Worked like a charm. Wouldnt do it again if I didnt have to but it wasnt that hard to execute either. I was so proud I even though to turn off the refrigerator AND turn it back on. It was at my house (leaving the keys in wouldnt work so well) so I set an alarm on my phone to remind me. If you havent bought it - buy it now. I'm ready to sit down and watch this all again now that its had some time to digest and I've had some chances to put it into action. Can't wait to see what you all have planned for the next announcement.

David Jimerson
05-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks, Jeff -- there hadn't been a whole lot of feedback about that section -- I'm glad you got so much out of it!

Jeff Anderson
05-19-2008, 02:23 PM
I really did get a whole lot out of it - I'd read everything about room noise and matching levels and doing this and that before but seeing and hearing the difference from beginning to end made it all work in my little head. Now I just want to record ambience and room tone everywhere I go! Been reading up on stereo recording... lots of options there apparently... now I have to go buy another mic... darn.

eta - seeing all the edits on your timeline for the entire video made me a tad sick feeling. Thats alot of editing. Nice work!

HorseFilms
05-20-2008, 08:35 AM
I also got a lot out of the post section. I learned a lot throughout the entire DVD, but I have a lot more experience in the production environment than I do in post. This is going to help me a ton. Thanks guys!:beer:

Granville
05-20-2008, 11:53 AM
I just order . . . Finally . . . The most overlooked aspect of "finish". I am looking forward to learning. I worry about quality sound more than any other aspect of production. It is where I suffer the most from guesswork. Hopefully not anymore. Thanks

Simon Höfer
05-21-2008, 04:59 AM
Yeah, I also just ordered it! How about customs? probably more than I expect :(

David Jimerson
05-21-2008, 07:27 AM
I really did get a whole lot out of it - I'd read everything about room noise and matching levels and doing this and that before but seeing and hearing the difference from beginning to end made it all work in my little head. Now I just want to record ambience and room tone everywhere I go! Been reading up on stereo recording... lots of options there apparently... now I have to go buy another mic... darn.

eta - seeing all the edits on your timeline for the entire video made me a tad sick feeling. Thats alot of editing. Nice work!

Yes, ambience is one of the few things you might want to record in stereo -- but even then, we do most of our room tone in mono.

We recorded the laughter in the classroom in stereo because it was necessary to the scene. But for the most part, all recording done on the disc was mono.

Jeff Anderson
05-21-2008, 07:40 AM
well thats good to know that stereo is definitely not always a necessity for tone and ambience. Still want to try it out and play with it though :) Is it easy to explain what made it necessary in the classroom scene?

David Jimerson
05-21-2008, 07:45 AM
For that, we needed stereo laughter, so the entire cast and crew sat there and laughed on cue. Was simply the easiest way to do it. However, it was recorded on two mono microphones, crossed in an X.

Jeff Anderson
05-21-2008, 07:54 AM
But how did you know you needed stereo laughter vs the diner where I guess all the chatter and what not was in mono. Do things like laughter that are more effects than ambience just sound more realistic in stereo? I'll have to go back and watch it all again and see if I can hear the differences.

Barry_Green
05-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Well, "needed" is a strong word. But the laughter in that scene isn't ambience, it was a "character" in and of its own self. So we preferred stereo so that it would sound like a fuller room.

David Jimerson
05-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Well, it wouldn't have sounded quite right if it weren't in stereo, and more than that, I just WANTED a full, stereo laughter effect for that particular shot. We could have recorded several instances of individual laughter and panned them around, but by far the easiest thing to do was just record it all at once, in stereo.

Jeff Anderson
05-21-2008, 08:03 AM
Ok that makes sense then. Why bother messing with it in post when you can get the effect during production with less effort and probably better results.

Calling it a character makes perfect sense to me now. Where the diner ambience or the street noise added to the drill sargeant scene was truly just background ambience and not a key player like the laughter.

Thanks for the answers gentlemen. When's the next announcement coming?

David Jimerson
05-21-2008, 08:23 AM
Ok that makes sense then. Why bother messing with it in post when you can get the effect during production with less effort and probably better results.

Ding ding! Give the man a cigar. :)

BTW, the diner walla is stereo. It's from an effects library, but it's stereo. It's just very quiet.

Jeff Anderson
05-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Ha so the diner track was never even recorded. Could've fooled me! Does that include the noises from the grill and the spatula noise or does "walla" refer to crowd talking only? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just so excited to see how lively a scene can feel with all of this added noise I've worked so hard to keep out of the original recording :) During your sitdown interview work where you or Barry were talking on the greenscreen was there any added noise? A majority of my work is sitdown interview stuff and I'm not sure what I could do to make it feel less sterile.

David Jimerson
05-21-2008, 08:50 AM
The walla is the crowd. I think we recorded the sizzle on the grill before we started shooting any actual takes (the grill wasn't on while we were shooting), but almost every sound other than that and the dialogue was either stock or recorded later elsewhere.

There was one fork ding which was actually a stray sound in the dialogue recording, but it was clean enough to be usable. Sometimes you get lucky like that.

There were a few effects we added to the talking lesson stuff -- like the sound of the "screen" being rolled up, and a couple of the "interference" sounds -- but for the most part, no. That's pretty straight.

Jeff Anderson
05-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Cool. I'm starting to see how important it is to visualize what a scene should sound like (or not sound like for that matter) before you start to shoot. Very good info here David. Will have to start incorporating much more thought about audio into my preproduction now. So much info in just three hours. $65 seemed like alot to part with when I bought it and now it feels like I've gotten a steal and have sat through a $400 class that I can go back to any time I want.

David Jimerson
05-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Wow, I'm glad you feel that way!

Yes, thorough pre-production is vital for every aspect of production. Audio, of course, is the most overlooked in pretty much all respects. We're hoping that this DVD can help change that. :)

Jeff Anderson
05-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Serisouly just signed myself up for a summer class on protools and mixing in general. I'm hoping to get something out of it and learn the software and some mixing fundamentals but I doubt I'll get as much out of it as I have from this dvd. Its costing $294. Wish there was a $65 dvd on mixing with people on forums that are available as you all are. Thats what really makes it cool is that if you have a question you just ask the guys that did it. Way cool.

David Jimerson
05-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Well, I just tried to give you a grounding in the concepts. I'm sure they'll teach, as I referenced at the end, advanced techniques that I don't cover.

Jeff Anderson
05-21-2008, 09:11 AM
True, but you guys have offered a very in depth grounding that just opens alot of doors. I've taken my share of "intro" classes that lasted a full semester in college and cost $800 and didnt teach half of the amount of info here. There's just such a big difference between being lead through a textbook by a professor and having working pros just show you how its done and when to do it. The how and when seems to get left out alot. I could see one or two day seminars based on this video with some hands on "no hold the pole like this" stuff doing really well. Heck the steadicam guys are charging craploads of money for a few days (and it worth it from what I hear) - dont see why you couldnt do the same.

Daygola814
05-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Just out of curiosity, where can you get a standalone mic boom pole like you guys had for when Barry was talking? Also, approx. how much do they run?

MattinSTL
05-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Stand-alone mic boom pole? The only thing I can think of that sounds sort of like that is a boom-stand... which is meant to be used for lots of things. For a quick 'n dirty sit down interview I've used Manfrotto 3398b... just because I already have them for light stands... they can boom a mic or an Arri 150. (as you'd want to do for a hair/rim light... keeping the stand itself out of the shot).

I think those stands are around $130/each... but I don't know what Barry used. You still need a shockmount and windscreen, etc.

Barry_Green
05-22-2008, 09:59 AM
I basically used my Gitzo boom pole, mounted on a cheap lighting boom stand. The stand is a cheapo Impact reflector holder I got from B&H... I think it's this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/272945-REG/Impact_3218_Light_Stand_and_Reflector.html

I got it forever ago; it's designed to hold flexfills but long ago I figured out I could wedge a boompole inbetween its clampy grips. You have to counterweight it a little to make sure it's balanced; I use a 5-lb Boa Bag shotbag hanging off the end.

I'm sure there's better dedicated-purpose equipment for this, I just cobbled this solution together out of stuff I had laying around.

HorseFilms
05-22-2008, 10:28 AM
I've been using that same Impact boom stand for about 3-4 years with a 5/8" stud to 3/8" male thread adapter so that I can just screw my KSSM directly onto the end of the arm. It's held up extremely well for the price (I think I paid $60 for it back then).

Daygola814
05-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Cool. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much guys!

Ted Arabian
05-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Hey David and Barry, I just watched the post production portion of the DVD. (I wanted to let the other sections sink in a bit before adding new information... there is just so much there!)

Great Job on this section! Loved it! The analogy is terrific! Very clever, very entertaining and very informative. And easy to follow!

All in all, this is just a great dvd on many levels.

One, there is information for just about everyone.

Two, it is entertaining as all heck!

And three, it is a great way to support you, our fellow dvxusers.

Really well done! Hat's off to you. Like I said before, this DVD will go on my shelf for refresher bits and bites but more importantly... it will be mandatory viewing material for any new crew members who will work on my sets.

Congrats guys!

Jeff Anderson
05-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Ted's spot on about the entertainment value here - the example clips are quite entertaining as are Barry, David, and Matt. I was expecting a much drier delivery of all of this info - you guys should do a video on math or US history or something. Sell it to highschools. Barry could dress as all the characters that founded our nation!

vocare
05-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Ted's spot on about the entertainment value here - the example clips are quite entertaining as are Barry, David, and Matt. I was expecting a much drier delivery of all of this info - you guys should do a video on math or US history or something. Sell it to highschools. Barry could dress as all the characters that founded our nation!

the dvd was great. just wondering where is good place to buy the Oktava mk12.

Jeff Anderson
05-23-2008, 08:38 PM
The Sound Room at www.oktava.com (http://www.oktava.com) do a search for the dvxuser discount code, I forget what it is..

HorseFilms
05-24-2008, 07:40 AM
It always used to be "DV"

vocare
05-25-2008, 10:56 AM
It always used to be "DV"

Thanks for the quote. Just wondering beside using wireless mic as mention in the dvd. I was thinking does anyone use oktava 12 for wedding . if not what a good mic for wedding . Currently we are using the me66 with 6k for interview and vow

David Jimerson
05-25-2008, 08:27 PM

Thanks.

But now I have a . . . NEW timeline. :lipsrseal:evil:

milvid
05-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Great video guy's.
I only wish there was some audio examples of the wind reduction with the different setups.

That's all

Simon Höfer
05-27-2008, 03:22 AM
Dang, waiting for the DVD. Hope it comes today (yeah, also thought that yesterday)...

Jeff Anderson
05-27-2008, 04:41 AM
Thanks.

and whats on that timeline???

Kyle Stebbins
05-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks.

Har har har... i'm in on the secret :happy:

Simon Höfer
05-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Damn it.... I wants to know more :D When will there be more info?

Barry_Green
05-27-2008, 08:59 AM
It'll be a while before we leak more info. :)

Jared Meyer
05-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Hmmm, Kyle is in on it....and Barry was at the Fat Monster shoot...You guys used their Timefest setups for a Lighting DVD? :evil:

Whatever it is I'm sure it'll be cool...

David Jimerson
05-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Ah, but I was cutting well before the Fat Monster shoot.

Anyway, more on that in time. :)

Jared Meyer
05-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Yeah sorry...can't help but speculate. :)

Simon Höfer
05-28-2008, 05:01 AM
Does somebody now how long does shipping to Europe (Germany) take?

David Jimerson
05-28-2008, 06:01 AM
Every country is different. Deliveries to Germany seem to take 5-6 business days.

Kyle Stebbins
05-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Matt G is the man. Frickin sweet. Met him over the weekend.

MattinSTL
05-28-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm watching this thread and taking note of what people request... I also have some additional info that I'd like to put in here that people haven't asked about.

I just got back in town and I have some local work to catch up... but I'll definitely post some short video clips for you.

Thanks Kyle... you were "the man" also... everybody spoke very highly of you... even when you weren't around... so clearly you made a very good impression.

Rock on bro... who would have thought that DVXuser would eventually become so real?

Kyle Stebbins
05-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks Kyle... you were "the man" also... everybody spoke very highly of you... even when you weren't around... so clearly you made a very good impression.

Rock on bro... who would have thought that DVXuser would eventually become so real?

You're tellin' me. It was surreal, but eventually became commonplace. We all fit in together so well that it wasn't weird after only 5 minutes of meeting each other.

Can't wait until next time.

Simon Höfer
05-30-2008, 04:11 AM
Thanks David! Can't wait to see it :)

Johnnyfive
05-30-2008, 04:28 AM
Just got mine. This is a great resource that is entertaining to watch. Thanks!

Barry_Green
06-03-2008, 06:26 PM
On a lark, we entered the Sound DVD in some awards competitions, and just heard back from the first one: we won the Videographer Awards "Award of Excellence", their top level... :thumbsup:

Jeff Anderson
06-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Congrats! You guys definitely deserve it! Didnt even know they had comps for instructional videos...

Simon Höfer
06-04-2008, 02:15 AM
Congrats!

I got my DVD two days ago :) Got stuck at the customs, so it took a little longer. Had a short glimpse until now, looking great so far.

ian lucero
06-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Just got my DVD today. Watched it through and will watch again.

Loved the "SCIENCE" sections.

Excellent work you guys. Well deserved praises and awards.

kyrre
06-14-2008, 04:50 AM
Great DVD! Now I actually know how to use my sound equipment! Well done!

Give us a Lighting DVD next! Pretty please with sugar on top? :violin:

dirtysanchez
06-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Would it be possible to get a more detailed chapter/topic list? I am interested in the DVD, but i would like to know more specifically what is covered in the DVD. The information available is pretty generic. Some video examples would be nice too.

thanks

David Jimerson
06-17-2008, 07:46 AM
The Two Things -- two techniques which will give you the most benefit when recording sound

Microphone types, choices, when to choose, and support gear

Recording technique -- booms, lavalieres, indoor, outdoor, recording levels

Location management -- dealing with sound issues indoors, outdoors, acoustics, echo, phasing, room tone, etc.

Post-production -- editing basics, levels, NLE tools, using room tone, building a more complete soundtrack, some extra tips

Conclusion -- some final thoughts

Video examples will be available a bit later this week.

Noel Evans
06-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Well I ordered one today - topic most interested in is the post production side as I will have to do a lot more of my own now, so trying to pick up others tricks wherever I can (moreso I want to, to keep my costs down).

David Jimerson
06-24-2008, 02:03 PM
We can now add Telly and Accolade awards to the growing list. :)

Tom Shortridge
06-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Great resource, exceptional service. I got this thing two days after I placed my order, when Amazon said it'd be closer to two weeks.

The material did seem to repeat itself a bit, but there was a lot of good information here. Also, the post-production section seemed sort of basic - but I guess there's always room for a "Volume 2," right?

Strongly recommend for everyone to pick this up.

Noel Evans
06-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah I got mine in Australia (yesterday), pretty good delivery time interationally.

The question I have - why on earths name wasnt there a resource like this when I was starting out? Man I could have really used it back then.

TBH nothing really new on there for me. Just a push / reminder that diligence is needed in a couple of areas.

The demo skits were good and made the presentation entertaining to watch. Barry I loved this line - two feet away eh? Youre fired.

I really liked Matts simple explanation of polar patterns, this is something that really confuses people new to audio.

I really hope people play close attention to DJs presentation, because I often hear solid dialogue with a rubbish cut, learn j and l cuts as the first port of call.

I see threads posted on the audio boards everyday that this DVD provides the answers to. If you have been shooting video for some time and now need to do your own audio, or are new to audio you YOU MUST GET THIS DVD.

Oh one last thing - if youre a DP and you dont consider the sound component and it comes to the shot and theres no where for the boom op to stand without casting an in shot shadow (should be tested) as Barry would say eh? youre fired. Would have liked to see a couple of pointers there. As in, the audio guy needs to be listened to and as the audio guy its your head so make sure you are heard. "Umm sorry your mic is too close (at three feet), your casting a shadow no matter where you stand". TOO LATE! But audio guys shouldnt accept that.

Brian P. McQuilkin
06-28-2008, 07:20 AM
Absolutely amazing resource. Of everything I've read, seen, and heard from "experts" regarding audio, this DVD blew them away. You guys produced an incredibly helpful tutorial. Audio has always plagued our work in one form or another, mostly because we thought we knew what we were doing. Thanks for putting this together!

Barry_Green
06-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Of everything I've read, seen, and heard from "experts" regarding audio, this DVD blew them away
Wow, thanks Brian! I think that quote might go on the box or something, that's an awesome testimonial. Glad you found it helpful!

Buck Forester
06-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Just ordered the DVD... lQQkin' forward to it!

Buck Forester
06-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Oops, I made an assumption this is a general-info sound DVD? It's not just HVX specific, is it?

Noel Evans
06-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Nope it isnt. Its general sound - you only see one camera and its not even a panasonic.

Buck Forester
06-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Cool, right arm, thanks Noel.

obi1jacobi
06-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Just ordered my copy :) I feel like a genuine member of the DVX audio forum now. Can't wait to be further enlightened by the pros!

Brian P. McQuilkin
07-03-2008, 05:48 AM
Wow, thanks Brian! I think that quote might go on the box or something, that's an awesome testimonial. Glad you found it helpful!

You're more than welcome, Barry, but the thanks should go to you.

Now...where's my check?

Buck Forester
07-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Okay, I watched the Sound DVD and allz I can say is... YAAAAAAAAA!!! I learn so much better with a well made video than reading manuals and books. I heard great things about this DVD and to be honest, it was even better than I expected. Entertaining and informative. I hope you guys make this a 'series' and do other aspects of videography. This thing rocks! That's my honest opinon. Adios.

David Jimerson
07-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks! :)

wgzn
07-06-2008, 01:34 PM
this DVD is great for someone who knows NOTHING about audio. but if you have even a basic grasp of mic types and room dynamics, you will likely find it a bit too rudimentary. as someone who's been in the AV world for nearly 2 decades i was hoping to glean some pearls of wisdom from the film and tv world. but no such luck.

i was pretty disappointed. i bought it and sold it in the same week. i think it might be better to name it "beginners guide to..."

David Jimerson
07-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Ah! Multiple Telly awards -- for both the overall instructional video and program audio categories. :) So, for teaching it, and for doing it. :2vrolijk_08:

bonkerz
07-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Apparently from the comments I see the Oktava MK012 is talked about very favorably in the DVD..(so I'm ordering one) What other Mics are recommended?? Shotgun mics? For a limited budget $1,000 or less

David Jimerson
07-12-2008, 07:19 PM
We recommend the Oktava specifically because it's a low-cost, good-quality dialogue mic. We don't really recommend anything else specifically, but we give you a good grounding in how to choose the right kind of mic for what you're doing.

bonkerz
07-12-2008, 07:29 PM
We recommend the Oktava specifically because it's a low-cost, good-quality dialogue mic. We don't really recommend anything else specifically, but we give you a good grounding in how to choose the right kind of mic for what you're doing.

Thanks... I'll order the DVD also

Jaime V
07-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Wow just saw this, and ordered just now! Thanks alot I really need this DVD!

Goldmond
07-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah it's definitely more of a beginners DVD, but I still found it really helpful and am very glad I got it. It's also a good DVD to have on hand for low budget projects when you need to train someone who knows nothing about booming for sound

-S

DogDay
07-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Impressions after first viewing;

I cannot believe how insanely funny some of those scenes were and well acted, I don`t want to give anything away for those who havent seen them yet but man o man, I have never had such a great time learning something technical...!!!!!!!!!

Something so F_King boring as sound IMHO...You guys made me fall in love with the subject and lit a passionate new interest...Seriously great work.

Compared to alot of the other popular dvd "How tooz" out there where you have to wade through 20 hours of disappated shmoozing this was so very intelligently put together and weaving the information into dramatic situations along with bite sized swallowable bits of memorable concept. Well thought out clever and organized.

Put me in line for a preorder of part two.

P.S. That actor playing opposite Barry in the dinner has got to get some more paid work he is really talented I can`t forget that scene and his delivery of those lines and the expressions on his face...Some one hire that guy now.

David Jimerson
07-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Thanks! We're glad you got so much out of it!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1301442/

Well beyond being an actor, he's an indispensable part of any production. Happy to do anything, a dream to direct -- just a fantastic guy.

DogDay
07-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks David for the link. I will definatly keep this guy in mind if anything comes up any where he might be right. I hope he gets a good agent and lands a role that can showcase his exceptional talents soon, given the right opportunity this guy can become someone very known, he has "It".

Break a leg guys and again thanks for the phenomenal job on the DVD.

JoPo
08-14-2008, 05:05 PM
First off nice dvd. Worth the money spent. I will probably rewatch it now and then again.
I must ask though...that key is....terrible:huh: It almost looks like a joke? No?
Anyone? I'm honestly not here to plain old criticize the shot but to find out why, what huh???

David Jimerson
08-14-2008, 06:37 PM
It's not a joke, but we weren't trying to fool anyone. I hope we dropped enough visual hints about that! :)

Nicholas_SA
08-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Accidentally stumbled upon this and ordered my DVD right away. This is exactly what I have been looking for! Can't wait!

Nicholas_SA
09-01-2008, 04:02 AM
Was surprised when I received my copy so quickly (10 days), shipped to South Africa. Very informative production, I applied what I learned right away. Basics that I never considered now seems engraved into my preparation. Hilarious! acting made the DVD a joy to watch, audio concepts beautifully illustrated visually in a way that sticks. Great product!

Toenis
09-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Barry, David, may I show this film to students of ours? I'm considering making it a part of sound course that we are planning.

Thanks,
T

renegadewill
09-04-2008, 12:56 PM
IS there like a trailer or clips we could preview?

LONEMAN
10-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Is this subtitled or captioned?

David Jimerson
10-28-2008, 07:41 AM
There is no subtitling or captioning. Sorry. :beer:

Noel Evans
10-28-2008, 04:53 PM
There is no subtitling or captioning. Sorry. :beer:

I can arrange a Japanese subtitled version if youd like? Of course at a slightly discounted rate.

Derrick_SA
11-04-2008, 01:10 PM
renegadewill, there is no need to preview, this is a bargain to buy, and very very good, as quite a few people have mentioned,

you won't be sorry, get it,
Derrick

mattadamsapple
02-07-2009, 12:30 PM
So happy I got this. I just started my first documentary and after my first 2 interviews I decided that I knew so very little about what is necessary to get great audio so I ordered this DVD. It's excellent. It's informative, smart, funny and really inspiring. After watching it, I feel much more confident in what I need to do to get great audio. Thanks for making this!

Matt Adams
http://mattadamsapple.com

imthinking
02-24-2009, 05:19 PM
I received mine and it was so engaging that even though I started watching this late at night I had to finish the first run past the AM. BUY it, if you have any questions about audio this is an excellent starter. Being a person who works with instructional materials I can say that somebody actually cared about the quality of presentation as much as the quality of content!
Excellent Job!

Barry_Green
02-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for that review! :thumbsup:

GuyS
03-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Just got my "Sound for Film and Television" DVD yesterday. My comments to a very well done presentation:

-There is just enough technical information to allow the student to have a basis for the science of sound yet not lose them in unneccessary detail.

-There is just enough entertainment to keep the dialogue fun and interesting.

-The sound is very good. Demonstrations of what is good and what is bad sound is obviously clear in the examples. I recognized what was bad in my stuff....and how to fix it!

-The whole DVD is one that you can sit down and watch from start to finish... yet the content covers the essence of how to create good audio and why. Complex ideas are eloquently explained. You are left with an overall understanding of sound. Barry and Matt show that getting good sound is actually more simple than you would imagine.

-Graphics, slides and imagery accenstuates the discussions very well.

This is one of those products that creates a "a ha....that's what it's all about" and will be pulled out to refresh my knowledge of location sound on future complex shoots.

David Jimerson
03-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the comments! :beer:

Baatfam
03-16-2009, 08:53 AM
I received my copy last week and watched most of it this weekend.

Very nicely done! Interesting, well written and most of all, I learned more than I thought I would.
And although I'm mostly interested in event and documentary stuff, it was still well worth the price of admission.

I also gained a healthy dose of respect for the hard work and talent level of the boom/sound operators.

Thanks guys!

commalot
04-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Glad I ran across this. I was just now trying to find this kind of information. I ordered it.

b.soysal
04-04-2009, 12:13 AM
I watched dvd today. Production quality of the dvd is great. It's obvious that the parodies(or whatever they are called) are made with great care and effort. But in the end, the information wasn't satisfying. It was very introductory level. At least, I expected to find out much more from sound editing section.
There were some good tips overall but I didn't learn much. It could have been better, imho.

David Jimerson
04-04-2009, 08:02 AM
We're glad you enjoyed the presentation -- we've won numerous awards for it, and we're pretty proud!

The material itself is meant to be an introduction to the field; we teach the fundamentals and some intermediate techniques and concepts as well, meant to get people started in recording great location sound, and the basics of using the sound in your edit. As it says on the box, we want to get people on their way to recording great sound . . .

armisiano
04-06-2009, 06:48 PM
I absolutely love this DVD. Very useful and informative. I've made every aspiring filmmaker I know watch it. Thanks a lot for making it. :)

David Jimerson
04-07-2009, 07:46 AM

MattinSTL
04-08-2009, 06:45 AM
I'm thrilled that so many people are enjoying the dvd and learning how to get better sound for their productions!

I just wanted to drop in on the thread to say that I haven't forgot about some of the extra examples that I talked about earlier in this thread. I'm gradually adding clips to a channel on youtube... some of the clips will directly address the things we talked about earlier in this thread.

I already have a couple things up that I think are really helpful "elaborations" on topics from the DVD (not better, not the same, just different clips to explain some things I still get asked about)... search matt63368.

Anyway... I just wanted to say thank you for your continued support of our dvd... and again, I'm really happy that I could be a part of such a worthwhile project. To this day I answer questions from people in the audio forum... to explain why they experienced problems getting good location sound. 99% of those problems are from inexperience with gear... and simply not knowing proper technique. Viewing the sound dvd would have saved all those threads from coming up... because it would have saved the location sound on all those projects.

gi-jones
04-16-2009, 01:07 AM
I bought, and watched, the DVD a couple of months back, and it really helped me out. Lots of really basic knowledge that I should've had, but didn't. As a director I don't personally work a lot with the audio, but this will definately help me understand the issues involved, and as I'm usually working with non-pros it will help me a lot in knowing, when someone is doing it right.

David Jimerson
04-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks -- and that's always a good idea! The director really should have a working knowledge of everything that's going on on a set. :)

jambredz
04-30-2009, 05:22 PM
i'm waiting on mine to come . does this cover room tone /ambient recording and how to properly record it and implement it in post, and why its used? Also how to keep levels constant from clip to clip within the same scene? i have alot of questions about that. (recording to my dvx when i get my mics...which i;m also waiting on)

David Jimerson
04-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Yes on both -- recording room tone and how to use it, and keeping levels constant. :)

We don't get into the "ambient sound" much, in terms of recording it, but it's mentioned in the post section when discussing building a basic sound edit.

jambredz
04-30-2009, 10:48 PM
kool. cant wait :)

logwagon
07-11-2009, 05:55 AM
Hey David - did I read this DVD won an award? Which one?

Jeff Babb

rszebras
07-16-2009, 12:24 PM
I just ordered mine. I can't wait to start learning more about audio. A couple years ago I attended the HVX Bootcamp in Burbank. So I know Barry is a great instructor. From the clips posted on You Tube, the dvd looks great. I'm glad I can support people who so freely contribute to dvxuser.

Barry_Green
07-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Yours was shipped out today. Thanks, and we hope you like it!

David Jimerson
07-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Hey David - did I read this DVD won an award? Which one?

Jeff Babb

Hey, Jeffrey -- we won two Tellys, an Accolade, and Ava, and Videographer. One of the Tellys was for the actual sound on the disc, so kudos to you!

(Jeff ran sound for our sketches and studio work. :) )

ESTEBEVERDE
07-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Ordered!

Can't Wait!

Look for my completely accurate and unbiased review soon! :beer:

Blue_Food
07-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Hi Barry and/or David,

I just followed the PayPal link from the main product page, and made my payment to WBS, and was just wondering if I missed any other order form, or whether you already have all the info you need just from the PP transaction?

Also, if you guys – or any other UK members who have ordered in the past – have a rough idea of the expected delivery time, that would be great.

In the meantime, I’ll look forward to watching!

Cheers,

Danny

David Jimerson
07-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Your order is received and processed! Will be shipped today.

Deliveries in the UK usually take about 10 business days from the date of shipping (today).

ESTEBEVERDE
07-23-2009, 01:06 AM
O.K. ... O.K....

So I paid for this and begrudgingly so... to me it's expensive and it's only a DVD it's not like you are taking a hands on course or anything!

Well... watch the DVD it's worth every single penny and then some!

Not only is the information fabulous, but it is very very well put together and good fun!

A++++++ to Barry, Matt, and David!!! :beer:

David Jimerson
07-23-2009, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the compliments! :)

ESTEBEVERDE
07-23-2009, 02:09 PM
My Pleasure! :)

rszebras
07-24-2009, 04:48 PM
I was debating, like so many others, whether the dvd would be worth the $65. But the good reviews, and the fact it's two and a half hours, convinced me to order. I'm glad I did. I've been reading books and posts on audio, but that's nothing compared to this dvd. This dvd is outstanding! It's worth every penny! If you're new to audio like me, get this dvd as your FIRST purchase -- before you spend a penny on lavs, shotguns, boom poles, etc. Being able to SEE and HEAR how different mics and setups work is so beneficial. Here's some of the things I found helpful.

Matt Gettemeier's sections were extremely helpful. The description of polar patterns was really clear. The section where he shows the different components of a sound kit, and what to consider when purchasing the items, was great. Choosing a good location and the boom handling tips were also great. I have really come to appreciate the technical aspects of Matt's job.

And what can I say about Barry Green? He's a great teacher: clear and concise. If you walk away from these lessons without learning the fundamentals of the craft, there is something seriously wrong with your coconut. The principles were demonstrated repeatedly in different ways and settings, including how NOT to do things. He demonstrates how to use the equipment properly for best results. And the science sections were superb. By the way, Barry, what was the cheapo mic you used in the demonstration of the Sanken CS3e on camera versus the mic in the proper position up close? An Azden, perhaps?

David Jimerson's section on audio post was succinct but contained a lot of helpful, introductory matters. From L and J cuts, to room tone, to the tip on getting a mic close in on wide shots by locking off the camera and using After Effects to composite the clean plate. The demonstrations of how to layer audio was also great.

This video was fun, humorous, interesting, and most importantly, very helpful. It was not some dry, boring narration. The post production diner scene was a riot. The actors and actresses in the various scenes were great, especially the Wizard of Post (he's like a Jim Carey). Great production value on this one. I'm glad I ordered it.

David Jimerson
07-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Glad you liked it! :)

Barry_Green
07-26-2009, 10:41 AM
By the way, Barry, what was the cheapo mic you used in the demonstration of the Sanken CS3e on camera versus the mic in the proper position up close? An Azden, perhaps?

Yes indeed, that was a little Azden shotgun. And, as shown, when used properly, it performed quite acceptably indeed.

Glad to hear you liked the DVD so much! I'll be sure to pass on to Shaun O'Rourke ("the Wizard of Post") that you said he's Jim Carrey-like, he will probably be thrilled to hear that. To see another side of him, watch our film "Unawakening", he's the lead actor in that.

ullanta
08-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Though I heard a lot of great things about this DVD, i didn't snap it up like I would one of Barry's video-oriented products, since I'm primarily a recording engineer by trade and didn't think it was where I needed to invest the $$...

However, I often work with student interns and volunteers on audio and video projects, and I recently decided to get the DVD as instructional material for them.

Even though I had high expectations of the disc, I was happily surprised at how fun and engaging it is. There are plenty of great resources out there (like the Hollywood Camera Work set) that are really informative, but hard to get through (especially for student trainees!), but the Sound DVD really pulls you in and holds interest even of people who aren't particularly passionate about learning sound. Bravo! Not to mention that the disc is informative, with great examples, and clear hammering of important basics... but it stands well as a piece of entertainment in its own right. And, for those of us who think we don't REALLY need to watch a sound DVD, the combination of entertainment value and great material makes it an excellent "mental stimulator" to keep from falling into a rut. Seriously, even for the most experienced sound guy, this disc will feel more worthwhile to watch than many feature films...

-Barry

Denis Haineault
08-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Received it and watched it yesterday.

Great work and very useful for someone (like me) who had been neglecting the sound aspect in their self-studies.

My only two complaints are that 1) Barry didn't eat the hairy bacon, and 2) You guys crunched the matte too much and made David look bald.

PaulWM
09-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Pretty quick delivery to the UK.

Really enjoyed watching listening - and smiling, it was entertaining and educational.

Very good value DVD and the effort that went into the production was appreciated.

Is there going to be an 'advanced' version?

Oh yes, as someone else noticed, 'The Wiz' did indeed remind me of Jim Carrey a couple of times!

David Jimerson
09-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks, Paul -- glad you liked it! :)

We've got a few other projects before we revisit old ones. :)

rszebras
10-13-2009, 03:39 PM
We've got a few other projects before we revisit old ones. :)

Can you give us any insight as to the type of projects you have going? Would this include another great training dvd like the one on sound? If so, I'm in line to order. I still can't believe how much I learned from this dvd. I'm working on a project for work. Nothing of the caliber you guys are doing. But I will have acceptable sound. I bought a Rode shotgun and it will be on a boom up close, and with the levels set properly. No doubt about that.

cinebuddy
11-21-2009, 10:03 PM
I know i'm late to the party but I just recently purchased the DVD. I'm an utter sound newby and my "sound" guy is a friend on boom. So I decided to purchase for both our benefits. Well my friend is becoming a serious boom op after watching the vid, and suddenly our sound is sounding awesome. He's taken the lessons learned on the DVD to heart and making a believer out of me to the point where I don't feel the need to double check what he's doing at all. Great job Barry, David and Matt, in a town where renting a Kino is like pulling teeth, and finding a boom op is like witnessing the immaculate conception, this DVD is a godsend.

David Jimerson
11-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Wow -- that's an endorsement! Glad you got so much out of it. :) BTW, being an OWU grad, I know exactly what you're talking about.

blue state
12-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Is it possible to bundle the sound dvd and the dvxuser book/dvd together to make it cheaper or to only pay shipping once atleast? Just got my first camera in the mail today! I'm a total noob and both of these would help me out a lot

edit
---upon further inspection I realized the guy who sold it to me included the book. So it is possible to just by both dvds???

tengo
02-10-2010, 07:15 AM
Just got mine and watched it.

Thumbs up! The video can show us and allow us to hear what is very difficult to learn from books.

michaelissac
02-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Barry,

I am new to all of this and would like to invest in my education of my new HVX200A, sound and lighting. Is there a special price you can offer if I purchase all three of your DVDs?

Barry_Green
02-23-2010, 08:59 AM
We can arrange something. I'll have David Jimerson send you a PM.

Lucere
02-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Hey Barry! My annual question - how much longer for your Lighting DVD...? Soon I hope! :)

David Jimerson
02-27-2010, 02:02 PM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/291/1267308096.png

Lucere
03-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Does this mean it's still in the works? :) Do you have a rough idea of an availability date?

ESTEBEVERDE
03-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Does anyone know of a good tutorial on using a sound mixer?

RichardVClark
03-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Very informative. I ended up taking about 9 1/2 pages of notes. I am now looking into something that goes a lot more into audio post production. Any suggestions?

averagejoe
04-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Just hit the Pay Now button. cant wait to get it. Am really hopeful there are equipment suggestions as I am looking for a new Kit...

David Jimerson
04-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Shipped today -- hope you enjoy!

cool
04-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Is there anyway to digitally download this?

Barry_Green
04-28-2010, 05:50 PM
No, it's only available as a DVD.

jeff jassky
06-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Just ordered it here too - Looking forward to getting it!

Matt Sconce
07-15-2010, 10:50 AM
It ROCKS and is a must for any Indie Filmmaker! It saved our BUTTS in Stricken!

Barry_Green
07-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Glad you found it helpful!

rcarreiro
09-15-2010, 02:44 AM
Hello,

Does anyone have a rough idea of the expected delivery time for a order from Brazil?

Thank you,
Rodrigo.

David Jimerson
09-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Hi, Rodrigo --

It shipped today; not sure about delivery time in Brazil, but about 7 days seems reasonable. It may be more or less.

rcarreiro
09-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks, David.

Actually, since the package was shipped by USPS, I'll probably receive it in 15-20 business days. And hope it doesn't get stuck in custom offices, which is pretty common for DVDs in Brazil (they charge us an extra fee that may be up to 60% of the package value for that). Crossing my fingers here. :)

rcarreiro
10-24-2010, 07:33 AM
Just passing by to say that I got the DVD yesterday, and it's really cool. Worth every cent. Thank you!

Barry_Green
10-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Excellent -- glad you like it!

Pedrophoto
11-16-2010, 05:37 AM
Hi Barry,
I have the HMC 151 and live in Brazil, starting a Video production company being former pro photographer.
I would like to buy the HMC Book & the 2 DVD about sound and lighting TOGETHER!
Why?
For books I don't pay taxes here in Brazil, for DVD I pay a ridiculous 60%. If the book comes acompanished with the DVD I don't pay taxes. But I didn't find any possibility to buy book ans DVD together on the site.
Please help!
Greetings from Brazil

Barry_Green
11-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Send a PM to David Jimerson, he can arrange bundled sales. Thanks!

Rolf Schwarz
01-01-2011, 10:28 AM
hi barry!

wish to have the lighting dvd and the af 101 book (coming next week?) in one package,is it possible?happy new year by the way!

rolf

Paul Cronin
01-05-2011, 06:26 AM
Just purchased the Sound DVD through PayPal. Look forward to going over this next week.

David Jimerson
01-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks, Paul! Will ship today.

Paul Cronin
01-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Sounds good David thank you for the quick response.

sonicvideo
04-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Count me in... Just bought it via PayPal... Thanks!!!

David Jimerson
04-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Thanks -- shipping today!

GameTavern
08-07-2011, 02:26 AM
Totally screwed up the shipping address of my order. Sent a PM and email. Please save me from myself.

David Jimerson
08-07-2011, 01:41 PM
No worries. Thanks for the order! :)

robster180
08-16-2011, 12:35 AM
Hello
Still awaiting delivery of my bundle, ordered last week to the UK.
Is there anyway for me to track it on this side of the water, please?

EDIT: Please ignore, it's just come through the letterbox! Thanks guys!

David Jimerson
08-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Shipments to the UK frequently take two weeks. UK residents can also order from:

http://www.smartdv.co.uk/section.php/52/0/936d6e1565d0816234838dea35f5adea

Glad you got it!

David Jimerson
09-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Just to let you know - Sound and Lighting are also available in bundles with the new AF100 DVD!

http://www.wrightsvillebeachstudios.com/bundles.html

DevonH
12-26-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm about halfway through the DVD, and it's excellent! (Already finished the Lighting version, which I'd highly recommend). I'd enjoy knowing what "un-manned" mic boom you guys are using in the classroom skit and when Barry is showing the comparison between the 180 shotgun and the much more expensive. I recently bought one off Amazon, but it's incredibly bulky.

David Jimerson
12-27-2011, 01:26 PM
What's the boom? It's a Gitzo. Nothing out of the ordinary. Mounted on a C-stand because everything was stationary.

macgregor
01-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Just got the DVD last week. I haven´t finished yet. It is sooo funny tough. :cheesy:

David Jimerson
01-09-2012, 04:28 PM
:) Some of it should look familiar.

r10k
03-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Just a quick thing about the DVDs... they're excellent! As an artist some of the vfx in them made me want to cry at times, but no matter how cheesy the examples were the important info was amazingly helpful. For those on the edge about buying them, just do it. Both the lighting and sound DVDs are well worth the cash.

David Jimerson
03-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the review! Glad you got a lot out of them.

Abraham Marquez
04-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Indispensable information jam packed into a two and half hour training dvd.
I definitely agree with the other posters about the comedic scenarios.
Hilarious!

David Jimerson
05-22-2012, 08:02 AM
SOUND for Film and Television is now available for digital download!

Check it out here:

http://www.wrightsvillebeachstudios.com/sound_dl.html

It will be available for download from the DVXuser order page soon, too!

BillinSC
07-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Good deal! Listening to the sound video as I type. David, I am curious. Did y'all shoot part of the video for the sound DVD in front of the USS North Carolina?

Sincerely,
Bill

David Jimerson
07-06-2012, 04:28 AM
Yes, that's the North Carolina. :)

drapeama
01-26-2014, 11:30 AM
SOUND for Film and Television is now available for digital download!

Great investment! Very good video with nice advice and tips in it.

David Jimerson
01-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the good words!