PDA

View Full Version : Just a suggestion - WGA Register your scripts

Isaac_Brody
04-29-2008, 01:29 PM
WGA register your scripts. It doesn't cost much and it's a good habit to get into. Especially when sending your scripts into the "ether" of the internet. I eat ether for breakfast.

Writers Guild of America West
http://www.wgawregistry.org/webrss/
Cost: $20

Writers Guild of America East
https://www.wgaeast.org/script_reg/
Cost: $22

seunosewa
04-29-2008, 02:13 PM
What's the major difference between "east" and "west"?

Russell Moore
04-29-2008, 02:38 PM
2$ ? :laugh:

stinkpot
04-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Good tip.
:thumbup:

Russell Moore
04-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Yeehaw...I just registered my first script.

smashedburrito
04-30-2008, 09:21 AM
If you are really worried about your work being stolen then you should really copyright it. Yes, registering with the WGA is a good idea, but if it is stolen it's really not a saving grace. The WGA will say that "Yes you registered your script" but if you sue you are not really entitled to much money. And if you do win in court, it will not cover any court fees. The main purpose of registering with the WGA is so if a studio like Dreamworks steals your script, then the WGA and SAG will refuse to work with that studio. That would crush Dreamworks, but if I wanted to steal your idea it really wouldn't matter.

If you steal a copyrighted script then it becomes a federal matter.
Therefore you can win lots of $$.

So yes, register with the WGA. But if you think you have the next Juno, then I would copyright it as well.

USLatin
04-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Gonna do it for mine... it is great.

Isaac_Brody
04-30-2008, 12:46 PM
I would copyright a feature, but for short scripts, I don't have much worry about Dreamworks ripping it off. 10 pages isn't worth their time.

smashedburrito
04-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Agreed. Just thought I'd share.

Isaac_Brody
04-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Hear ya, copyrighting used to be 30 bucks, which made it worth it for smaller pieces, but the price went up. I think it's like 40 or 45 now.

GGF NYC
04-30-2008, 01:24 PM
I also just registered with the WGA East, my first one too. Feel's good. I have a quick question after registering the first time, does this make me a member now when the future registration will only be $12- dollars instead of $22-?

Isaac_Brody
04-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Uh...nope. If only it were that easy. You need writing credits in film and television. I'm not sure what the point system is, or how they count it.

smashedburrito
04-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Point system is pretty crazy.

http://www.wga.org/subpage_whoweare.aspx?id=84

GGF NYC
04-30-2008, 08:45 PM
so basically our scripts are registered but not us?

Captain Pierce
04-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Well, as I understand it, we are registered as the writers of our scripts, but we just don't become automatic WGA members just for registering one 10-page script for an Internet scriptwriting contest.

But, hey, look on the plus side--if you're not a WGA member, you don't have to go on strike when the current contract expires... :tongue:

davide
05-05-2008, 10:00 PM
What about mailing a hard copy of the script to yourself and then not opening it? I had heard that that is the cheapest way to copyright something. The processing date that the Postal Service puts on the envelope counts as the mimimum earliest date on which you could have composed the script.

davide

Cryogenic Filmworks
05-06-2008, 05:04 AM
What about mailing a hard copy of the script to yourself and then not opening it? I had heard that that is the cheapest way to copyright something. The processing date that the Postal Service puts on the envelope counts as the mimimum earliest date on which you could have composed the script.

davide

Been proven not to work. I mail a bunch of envelopes to myself. I see your script and like it. I change the title cover, put script in my envelope. Now I have your script in my envelope with and earlier postal stamp than yours. You loose.

Register with WGA to protect your script. (Some writers disagree with the following but to also qualify for monetary compensation you might also register with the copyright office).

Michael Anthony Horrigan
05-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Been proven not to work. I mail a bunch of envelopes to myself. I see your script and like it. I change the title cover, put script in my envelope. Now I have your script in my envelope with and earlier postal stamp than yours. You loose.

Why you sneaky son of a ....

:grin: