PDA

View Full Version : Matrox MXO2 ! Now with Output and INPUT!!!

bigbossbmb
04-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Link (http://www.matrox.com/video/en/press/releases/mxo2/)

The new MXO looks amazing and definitely has some very generous upgrades.

I'll definitely be looking hard at one of these.

SPZ
04-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Must buy, definetly. Gives AJA's IOHD a run for its money, and a lot less expensive. Ideal for low budget productions!

bigbossbmb
04-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I definitely give this the edge (for me) over an ioHD or a Kona card. This gives me the I/O and allows for the calibration of consumer displays. To get that with the AJA or Blackmagic products, you'd have to add a Blackmagic HDLink for another $500.

Kwan
04-14-2008, 10:50 PM
I will definitely swap my MXO to MXO2

FatDaddy
04-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Saw it today. Seems like it will be nice (just a box with connections for now, not hooked to anything). Not all that portable as opposed to the original MXO size wise.

Technology moving forward...

Jarek Zabczynski
04-15-2008, 12:30 AM
I have no more pci-e slots left...

eduserrano
04-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Guys, can anybody check this out alive for us?

I liked the specs a lot. I almost bought a MXO last week (ouch!), since i need a monitoring solution for my laptop.

The only difference i see on the MXO (comparing to its new brother) is that it has a DVI output. Matrox still list both of the models. So is Matrox betting on HDMI output to a LCD TV display as a cheap monitoring solution? MXO1 (let's call it this way) has LUTs for ACD Dell etc... how can we expect to get the same excelent results from a LCD (TV) display?

If someone can ask these questions it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Eduardo Serrano.

kwoff
04-15-2008, 07:59 AM
So is Matrox betting on HDMI output to a LCD TV display as a cheap monitoring solution? MXO1 (let's call it this way) has LUTs for ACD Dell etc... how can we expect to get the same excelent results from a LCD (TV) display?

This sounds like an excellent question for Shane Ross, the expert around here on the MXO [1] as a monitoring solution for HD. I know I get good results using the original MXO with a 23" ACD to monitor HD in FCS.

Kevin

eduserrano
04-15-2008, 08:12 AM
This sounds like an excellent question for Shane Ross, the expert around here on the MXO [1] as a monitoring solution for HD. I know I get good results using the original MXO with a 23" ACD to monitor HD in FCS.

yeah, and he is working on the Matrox booth. So can anyone over NAB annoy Shane just a bit and ask this? He wrote on twitter he was going to blog about it...

Mr B
04-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Can this be used to capture 4:2:2 through hdmi from an HV20 for example?

proffit
04-15-2008, 08:36 AM
From Matrox site: "For use with Intel-based MacBook Pros and Mac Pros"

-Does this mean it doesn't work well with iMacs, and I have have to upgrade my computer?

And how about the DVI output? I was particularly planning to buy MXO for color correction purposes with the Apple Cinema display with precise pixel-to-pixel mapping. I don't think those LCD display TV's are at all "professional" even with HDMI, and an HD-SDI professional monitor is quite out of my budget at the moment... Well, I think Dell uses HDMI onnectors, do they?

IanBJohnson
04-15-2008, 09:57 AM
It seems that these might be two different products, and only overlap slightly. I think using the MXO moniker is somewhat confusing... at least for me, who expected the original MXO (main function is accurate DVI monitoring) with more inputs/outputs.

Nevertheless, this is a very interesting product, and would be a great addition to indie studios. But is it compatible with PPC macs?

bigbossbmb
04-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Does this mean it doesn't work well with iMacs, and I have have to upgrade my computer?

It won't work at all with an iMac. It connects to the computer via PCIe (for a Mac Pro) or ExpressCard (MBP). The iMac has neither of those.

I'm interested to see what TV's Matrox recommends with this system. Before this announcement, I was looking at the Panasonic Pro Plasma displays paired with a Blackmagic HDLink and a capture card. This MXO2 would replace the capture card and HDLink. I'm so excited for this and I think it is at the perfect price point.

I'm also curious about the capture performance with a MBP. Bringing in an HD SDI signal, would a MBP be able to encode to ProRes HQ on the fly?

I'm so excited for this and I think it is at the perfect price point. And btw, 10-bit hardware conversions is a great bonus.

proffit
04-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Geesh, so I guess I'll have to buy MXO before it updates to MXO v.2. It's a shame since MXO was about the only professional monitoring-conversion option for iMacs.

eduserrano
04-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Geesh, so I guess I'll have to buy MXO before it updates to MXO v.2. It's a shame since MXO was about the only professional monitoring-conversion option for iMacs.

Matrox is selling both on their site. I think they see them as different market segments.

bigbossbmb
04-15-2008, 11:38 AM
MXO2 is independent of the original MXO. Matrox will continue to sell both. No rush for getting the MXO.

Mr B
04-15-2008, 01:46 PM
http://lfhd.blogspot.com/

Shane Ross to the rescue.

eduserrano
04-16-2008, 03:21 AM
Shane Ross rescued me on my email as well. He also asked about this thread, so i guess he's going to show up here latter. Great guy btw. This is what he had to say about it:

The only difference i see on the MXO (comparing to its new brother) is that it has a DVI output. Matrox still list both of the models. So is Matrox betting on HDMI output to a LCD TV display as a cheap monitoring solution?"

I do not think that I personally would trust that. But then again, I didn't trust the ACD solution either. That remains to be seen.

MXO1 (let's call it this way) has LUTs for ACD Dell etc... how can we expect to get the same excelent results from a LCD (TV) display?

Not sure. THey have engineering working on it. But as to WHAT they are woring on...that I am in the dark.

Oh! and are we getting phantom powered audio inputs?

NO phantom power.

proffit
04-16-2008, 04:27 AM
I hope Shane does a side-by-side comparison with MXO and MXO2, if there are any differences in the picture quality. Especially if one is looking to buy MXO for color correcting purposes, like I am.
Looking at the MXO2 specs (from their site), I see that MXO2 doesn't have the Scan conversion mode, and it lacks the DVi artifact removal (because it doesn't use DVI). In any case the real question is if using HDMI is suitable for color corrections purposes.

Shane Ross
04-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Hey guys...sorry, busy busy booth with the original MXO and the new MXO 2. I tried posting all that I could on my blog, which was linked to. But, there are a few questions I see.

"Can this be used to capture 4:2:2 through hdmi from an HV20 for example?"

Yes. YOu can capture via HDMI as DVCPRO HD, ProRes (MacPro only) and uncompressed HD. Note how I said that ProRes was only available on the tower. This is because there is no ProRes hardware encoder on the unit...that is one thing that makes it cheaper, and what sets the AJA I/O HD apart. That unit allows ProRes capture on a laptop because of the hardware encoder. The MXO 2 cannot capture ProRes to a laptop...that ability is dependent on the processors of the mac, and it requires a quad core Intel mac, so that is MacPro only. This is what makes the unit inexpensive. On the laptop you can capture DVCPRO HD and uncompressed 8-bit. And you will needed hardware raided firewire drives like the Firewire VR or G-Raid.

The MXO 2 will not output a signal to an ACD like the MXO 1 does. They are boxes with separate abilities.

No, the MXO 2 will not work on an iMac, and BigBoss explained why very well.

I am not sure about turning HD TVs into broadcast quality monitors...that remains to be seen. I didn't believe it could be done with a computer monitor. I need to get my hands on one before I can claim anything.

The BIGGEST thing for me is that it, and the MXO, contain TRI-SYNC...meaning that you can send reference to an HD Deck like the HDCAM and D5. Normally that is a separate box, like the AJA one, run for $400. So this does ALL of this, plus tri-sync. MAN.

eduserrano
04-16-2008, 01:30 PM
I've been using a HDMI>DVI adaptor in my projector for years now and i think they are compatible. So i guess you could still use a ACD with a MXO2 using one of those. I don't have a proper MXO (i was going to buy it last week), I think it has some LUTs for ACD etc. So I don't know if you could still use those with the adaptor.

This is what i found at Wikipedia.

HDMI is backward-compatible with the single-link Digital Visual Interface carrying digital video (DVI-D or DVI-I, but not DVI-A) used on modern computer monitors and graphics cards. This means that a DVI-D source can drive an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, by means of a suitable adapter or cable, but the audio and remote control features of HDMI will not be available. Additionally, without support for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) on the display, the signal source may prevent the end user from viewing or recording certain restricted content.

OK. What i really need now is some kind of official confirmation hehehe.

bigbossbmb
04-16-2008, 01:34 PM
It should work (at least in getting the image to the ACD). However, the MXO2 may not include the LUTs for the ACDs.

eduserrano
04-17-2008, 02:30 PM
I got the following answer at the official MXO forum at Matrox.

With regards to your questions, Matrox will offer the Blue only and calibration tools with the MXO2, just like what we had on the MXO. Using an HDMI TV makes a lot of sense for monitoring since this device is designed to receive YUV information. With an ACD monitor, the MXO needs LUTs because the ACD is an RGB device. However, the MXO2 will not need LUTs to drive an HDMI monitor. It will provide blue only calibration, and this will ensure proper color adjustment and therefore turns your HDMI TV into a broadcast monitor.

Another thing which is worth mentioning is this PDF file which highlights the defeasances between the MXO2 and the MXO.

Thanks for your patience and please let us know if you have any aditinal questions.

So i guess that's good official news.

:)

Shane Ross
04-17-2008, 03:01 PM
NICE...now why didn't I ask that when I was there? I know you asked me to. Guess I didn't remember too as I was SWAMPED with people asking about the MXO...

thanks for this. Mind if I quote that for that post on the blog?

proffit
04-18-2008, 03:17 AM
Hmm, I'm a little sceptical about this. I mean consumer TELEVISIONS are now suddenly turned into professional monitors?

Ok, if the colors can be calibrated with bars and all, don't those TVs still have some technology to improve the picture quality, actually making the picture look nicer and better for consumers? Televisions are not meant for critical viewing, they're for pleasure.

How can I trust what I see if I'm using a basic HDMI television, when there might be some circuits or anti-aliasing filters to smoothen the picture? As I understand it, it's like with old CRT televisions, you "can" use them for monitoring, but really how truly professional and accurate that is, is an other question...

If there is no difference between say Apple's Cinema display and basic HDMI television in the true pixel-to-pixel performance, then maybe there is no problem.

Don't get me wrong, I like this new MXO box just looking at the specs, just makes me question. Sounds like monitoring with this was meant for field use.

eduserrano
04-18-2008, 07:34 AM
NICE...now why didn't I ask that when I was there? I know you asked me to. Guess I didn't remember too as I was SWAMPED with people asking about the MXO...

thanks for this. Mind if I quote that for that post on the blog?

Wow shane. Not at all. I would be flattered.

Now i just need to now if they have an upgrade policy if i buy the mxo now... i need it.

eduserrano
04-18-2008, 07:38 AM
How can I trust what I see if I'm using a basic HDMI television, when there might be some circuits or anti-aliasing filters to smoothen the picture? As I understand it, it's like with old CRT televisions, you "can" use them for monitoring, but really how truly professional and accurate that is, is an other question...

Hmmm, i guess now the task for us is to find the simplest, or less feature rich panel on the market. Every sticker "me does it too technology" looses one point in the game.

slw2307
04-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Does the MXO2 support 2K resolutions?

bigbossbmb
04-18-2008, 02:38 PM
nope, you'll need a Kona3 for that

M-Jay
04-19-2008, 12:53 AM
What is the big difference in the MXO2 and the new Blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hd/) with HDMI? This card sells for $ 995,-

Shane Ross
04-19-2008, 10:29 AM
The MXO 2 can connect to a laptop, Decklink cannot, TOWER only. The MXO 2 can be powered by a battery, making is a great field monitoring solution. They had it hooked up to an Anton Bauer at the booth...the Decklink cannot. The MXO 2 has built in TRI-SYNC reference (they claim...remains to be seen), the Decklink does not. The MXO 2 has software to use to send color bars to a monitor, and blue only, and controls to balance the video signal properly...not sure about Decklink on this one. The MXO 2 can upconvert SD to 720p and 1080i...the decklink can only go to 1080i.

You really can only compare this to the AJA I/O HD...and the big difference there is that the I/O HD has a built in ProRes encoder, so you can capture ProREs with a laptop. The I/O HD cannot do that...to a laptop. Uncompressed 8 bit yes, but ProRes encoding for the MXO 2 is handled by the computer and processors, and only a good MacPro can do that. But the MXO 2 does uncompressed HD and the I/O HD does not.

I all matters what you want and what your workflows are. Now there are tools for nearly every situation.

bigbossbmb
04-19-2008, 11:06 AM
The Decklink does not have the calibration software. They require purchasing the additional HDLink (recently lowered to $445) which converts HD SDI to HDMI and DVI. However, it will not send SD signals through HDMI.

EMC
04-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Shane, I'm looking for some unbaised advice re Matrox (MXO/2) vs. BlackMagic (Intensity Pro + HD Link), as well as doing color correction on an ACD vs. JVC HD Monitor vs. Plasma. I stopped by both booths during NAB and both companies have impressive products that seem to work well with FCS. I do a mix of music video, documentaries, local cable commercials, corporate video & web stuff. I'm about to upgrade my DV/SD G5 system to a MacPro HD set-up (stock ATI 2600 card) so I can use Color & Motion (3D) and I need a reasonably priced professional monitoring solution to playback HDV/DVCProHD/ProRes. I currently have 2 ACD's, a 20" Sony NTSC, a 50" Panasonic 720p Plasma & a Sony HDV VTR/Deck with component out. I am thinking about updating the Plasma to 1080p OR picking up a JVC DT-V24L1U (the non SDI model), which B&H have on sale for $2k. I checked out the JVC at NAB and was very impressed. They were using it with a BlackMagic box (HD Link?) and were playing out Blue-Ray DVD & I couldn't see any difference A/B it with the SDI model. It seems the Matrox MXO would be a better solution for me than the MXO2 as I can use my existing 23" ACD and still go out to a Plasma via component. The JVC has DVI & Component in, so it would work with that also. I'm surprised that the MXO2 doesn't do DVI out (HDMI only) but can I use a HDMI-DVI convertor and use it with the ACD? I could also go with a BlackMagic Intensity Pro and HD Link (orig. not "Pro") combo for about the same price and get both DVI & HDMI out. The Decklink Extreme looks good but I don't have any SDI gear & I'd still need to get the HD Link. I'd also lose a PCI slot. So, what do you think would be the best solution for me and is there any real difference between the Matrox & Blackmagic products in terms of picture quality or playback/compatabiltiy with FCP/Motion/ Color? Do I really need an 1080p Plasma or LCD (JVC) if I go with the MXO2? Could I get away with an Intensity Pro with an HDMI-DVI connector to ACD &/or JVC and component to Plasma &/or JVC?

Nicky
04-19-2008, 02:57 PM
This new product sounds real good!
What about HDSDI? would we need a HDMI - HDSDI converter?(Black Magic HDlink?)
Can it do 10-bit uncompressed?
Will this device allow high quality monitoring on a MacBook Pro in realtime?

Thanks.

Nicky
04-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Oh... I just saw the blog - It conflicts what is said on this thread?

It says - uncompressed 10 HD (nice), HD-SDI (wow), but says no uncompressed capture with laptop :violin:

Also the blog says price is $1599?... still good!

Nicky
04-19-2008, 03:12 PM
What is the big difference in the MXO2 and the new Blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hd/) with HDMI? This card sells for $ 995,-

My last question is wouldn't the BM card with a magma express card adapter($700) achieve the same results cos it can connect on a laptop?

bigbossbmb
04-19-2008, 04:23 PM
EMC:

You can't use an HDLink with an Intensity card. The HDLink only has an HD/SD SDI input. The Intensity will only output HDMI (plus component on the Pro card).

If you bought that JVC monitor, all you would need is the Intensity Pro card and send the signal over Commponent. The purpose of the HDLink and MXO is so that you can calibrate displays that aren't typically calibrate-able (making up my own word). Granted, the MXO2 is a much more diverse product than the MXO/HDLink. But if all you are after is HD monitoring, the JVC+Intensity Pro might be a great option.

bigbossbmb
04-19-2008, 04:25 PM
My last question is wouldn't the BM card with a magma express card adapter($700) achieve the same results cos it can connect on a laptop?

No because you can't software calibrate your display with the BM card. You would still need the BM card, HDLink, and that adapter.

Nik Manning
04-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Can you capture to a laptop in 720p24 ProRes? This shouldn't put to much stress on a newer macbook pro. Thanks

eduserrano
04-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Hmmm. I guess things are getting hotter. :) I asked if they were going to provide any indication on which TVs would be better etc

From Matrix official forum again:

Hi Eduardo, we will be providing more details on HDMI TV compatibility and support of HDMI to DVI adapters for you soon.

Best regards,
B.C.

Let's just wait... tic tac tic

Shane Ross
04-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Can you capture to a laptop in 720p24 ProRes? This shouldn't put to much stress on a newer macbook pro. Thanks

ProRes on a laptop is not supported with the MXO 2. Unlike the AJA I/O HD, it does not have an on-board ProRes encoder. THe MXO 2 relies on the processor power of the computer to capture as ProRes, just like other capture cards. The MacBook Pros lack the processor power needed, so the best they can get is 8-bit uncompressed.

But the I/O HD is $3500, and the MXO 2 is $1600...so decide what you want and need and purchase accordingly.

earthling
04-21-2008, 07:53 AM
ProRes on a laptop is not supported with the MXO 2. Unlike the AJA I/O HD, it does not have an on-board ProRes encoder. THe MXO 2 relies on the processor power of the computer to capture as ProRes, just like other capture cards. The MacBook Pros lack the processor power needed, so the best they can get is 8-bit uncompressed.

But the I/O HD is $3500, and the MXO 2 is $1600...so decide what you want and need and purchase accordingly.

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the input, I read this from you (here : http://lfhd.blogspot.com/) :

"you aren't going to get uncompressed on the laptop, but you can do ProRes"

From all the info I've gathered, HD uncompressed is obviously not possible, (where would you save the files considering the Express card slot is being used), but wouldn't a MacBook Pro be capable of ProRes encoding ?

Cheers,
Damien

Nicky
04-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Will the MXO2 be able to turn a macbook pro into a hi-quality monitoring solution using the laptop screen?... Apparently the first MXO had this capability.

Also there seems to be some conflicting info - If the MXO2 macbook pro cant capture ProRess or Uncompressed, what exactly will it be able to capture???

bigbossbmb
04-21-2008, 12:57 PM
DVCProHD for sure.

Nicky
04-21-2008, 01:55 PM
DVCProHD for sure.

cute... is that all?:huh:

bigbossbmb
04-21-2008, 04:33 PM
No... it'll most likely do XDCAM and Uncompressed SD. I wouldn't be surprised if it were able to do SD ProRes or even 720 ProRes on the current MBP's. ProRes support (on MBP's) will grow as the MBP's become faster.

It's all speculation now as nobody outside Matrox has worked with it (and isn't under an NDA).

Mac Pro users, like myself, will be able to capture to pretty much whatever we want. The limitations are only for the current line of MBP's. The MXO2 especially looks good to me as I'll be getting a new laptop in the next year and I'll be able to add mobile capture options with this box (vs getting a Kona card).

eduserrano
04-22-2008, 02:44 AM
Got another message from Matrox Forum.

We are glad to see the interest you have taken into the Matrox MXO and MXO2 products. The Matrox MXO2 is definitely a great broadcast-quality input/output affordable Mac mobile solution.

Just like LCD monitors, there will be different quality of HDMI televisions. The MXO2 has an HDMI monitor calibration; it lets you adjust your HDMI monitor exactly like you would a broadcast HD/SD monitor. The Cinema display does not support HDMI connectivity and therefore cannot be directly connected to the MXO2 without using a converter. Matrox will test different HDMI televisions and monitor and will provide a list of compatible devices.

So i guess we will even have a list of "recommended" LCD TV Panels. That's great news.

Now what should I do if I need the device now? :/

ENRICOX
04-22-2008, 04:38 AM
Does anyone know if it will be possible to connect one ACD 30" or 23 inch to a MACBOOK PRO, and the MXO2 via expresscard for monitoring on an CRT at the same time?

This will be very usefull, don't know if the graphic card can sustain it...

Thanks

FatDaddy
04-22-2008, 07:59 AM
I went ahead and picked up the original MXO. Yesterday (first day with it), I hooked up my MBP, 24"lcd and SD Pany monitor all in real time. I know the 30" is not supported with the original MXO and MBP. It is DVI based or video signals through Component, Composite or S-Video. Worked pretty good.

Should have kept my SD monitor for color adjustment!

One of my goals was to output in real time interviews with the timecdoe filter to my DVD recorder. Now I can make TC DVD window dubs in SD from my HD timeline w/o any compression or render.

bigbossbmb
04-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Does anyone know if it will be possible to connect one ACD 30" or 23 inch to a MACBOOK PRO, and the MXO2 via expresscard for monitoring on an CRT at the same time?

This will be very usefull, don't know if the graphic card can sustain it...

I'm sure it's fine. I doubt the video signal going into the MXO2 is coming from the GPU. It'd just be a data stream from FCP.

Nik Manning
04-22-2008, 10:02 PM
So I can use this as a monitoring solution
http://images.tigerdirect.com/SkuImages/gallery/large/V18-2220-a.JPG
Viewsonic NX2232W 22" 16:9 Wide HDTV LCD - 5ms, 1000:1, 1680x1050 (WSXGA+), ATSC, HDMI $339? If so $2,000 gets me a nice setup baby! Is a 720p monitor ok for monitoring 1080p?

Nik Manning
04-22-2008, 10:10 PM

Ok hopefully not supported doesn't mean it won't work it just means Matrox isn't guaranteeing it. ProRes wasn't suppose to work on G5 macs either but it does! :) 720p24 should be a lot easier on the processors than 1080p24. We shall find out. Even if it doesn't work this is still a great product Matrox is pushing. Last question, if apple makes new Laptops that are as fast as the Current Mac Pro Hardware would the MXO2 work then? I guess I am asking will the functionality of the card improve as processor speed improves. Thanks

bigbossbmb
04-22-2008, 10:39 PM
guess I am asking will the functionality of the card improve as processor speed improves. Thanks

Yes, as the laptops get faster, the functionality of this box will grow.

Nik Manning
04-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Yes, as the laptops get faster, the functionality of this box will grow.

If this is the case a new macbook pro should be able to do 720p24 ProRes(not HQ).

bigbossbmb
04-23-2008, 12:00 PM
They may be able to already, we don't know. Matrox may not claim ProRes support on the laptops now if the current MBP's can't handle the 1080p flavors. But I'm sure they can handle SD ProRes capture, so it's a bit of a gray area until somebody (like Shane) actually gets to use one and test it out.

Nicky
04-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Ye... would be interesting to do some tests, I just ordered a G-raid2 mini and a MBP. Heres the link to the G-raid2 mini - http://www.g-technology.com/products/G-RAID-mini.cfm

Im wondering what type of capture performance Ill get with this and the MXO2:happy:

Nik Manning
04-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Ye... would be interesting to do some tests, I just ordered a G-raid2 mini and a MBP. Heres the link to the G-raid2 mini - http://www.g-technology.com/products/G-RAID-mini.cfm

Im wondering what type of capture performance Ill get with this and the MXO2:happy:

Sweetness the ProRes 720p24 is 59(Mbps) or less than .5 gig per minute.
1080p24 is only 117(Mbps) at ProRes(not HQ).

eduserrano
04-24-2008, 04:13 AM

It's not on the products page, but they have announced a new G-Raid3 at NAB, did you know about that?

http://www.g-technology.com/News/pdf/G-Tech-NAB-2008.pdf

------------------

Sorry, i just noticed you were referring the MINI one. :)

Nicky
04-24-2008, 09:32 AM
It's not on the products page, but they have announced a new G-Raid3 at NAB, did you know about that?

http://www.g-technology.com/News/pdf/G-Tech-NAB-2008.pdf

------------------

Sorry, i just noticed you were referring the MINI one. :)

Theres also a new G-raid mini3 shipping in june, Ive already bought the G-raid mini2 - Oh well... theres not much difference but I can always upgrade later while we wait for the Matrox MXO2.

videoguys
04-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Videoguys NAB2008 Report: Matrox

For me the star of the NAB2008 show was Matrox. At the dealer meeting on Sunday we felt that Matrox was introducing two new exciting products at NAB. Once I hit the show floor Monday morning and I saw the mob in their booth, it was clear that this was about more than just 2 new products. Matrox had arrived as a dual platform hardware vendor, delivering exciting new products for both PC and Mac users. With support for Apple and Adobe products, and who knows when, maybe even Avid!

Matrox MXO2

The MXO2 is a complete I/O solution for Apple and Adobe editors on the Mac platform for a fantastic price of just $1595!! You get SD and HD all in one sleek, sexy little package. MXO2 delivers all the I/O you need and want.

* You need SDI, you got it for both standard and HD with 8 tracks of embedded audio channels.
* If it’s analog I/O you need, MXO as it - component SD & HD plus all the standard SD I/O.
* What about HDMI you ask – MXO2 has it. Not just HDMI out, but HDMI input as well. Even cooler - the HDMI output includes surround sound!

How can they do it? Deliver all this I/O at such a great price? Only $1595!!Here’s the secret – they use the PCIe bus, which is 20x faster than FireWire400. It is also far more reliable and removes any bottlenecks that can occur from pushing HD footage in and out of your Mac via FireWire. The MXO2 ships with 2 PCIe adapters – one for towers and a card for your laptop. You can simply move the MXO2 between computers just by unplugging it in from one and plugging it into the other. Unlike other I/O devices on the market, MXO2 is truly portable. It’s sleek sexy form factor lets it fit in any laptop bag and it can run on AC or battery power.

MXO2 supports Apple applications like Final Cut Pro, Motion, and Color; as well as Adobe applications like Premiere Pro, After Effects, and the other apps included in the Adobe CS3 Production Premium. MXO2 supports multiple compressions and workflows including HDV, DVC Pro HD, uncompressed HD, XDCAM, and Apple Pro Res. With a quad core Mac you can capture into ProRes in real-time.

If your workflow demands input and output for multiple formats then MXO2 is the device for you. If you are working with tapeless workflows, or compressed HD formats that you can easily ingest via FireWire, then the original MXO is the device for you. Attach it to your Mac Tower or Laptop and you get pristine HD output - straight from Apple Final Cut Pro, Motion, Color or Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop. Not all workflows require I/O. If you just need HD output, you can save some bucks by adding the MXO to you workflow. Rumor has it you may even be able to preview your Avid Media Composer timeline in the not so distant future with MXO!

The MXO2 is expected to ship in late June. We will begin taking pre-orders immediately. In fact we will be including a free gift with all pre-orders placed before June 15th.

http://www.videoguys.com/mxo2.html

gary

Spartacus
04-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Theres also a new G-raid mini3 shipping in june, Ive already bought the G-raid mini2 - Oh well... theres not much difference but I can always upgrade later while we wait for the Matrox MXO2.

Wonder If you manage to use it bus powered only, I bought two exactly this time last year and they wouldn´t work bus powered (On a MBP and a G4 PB...).
Took about 8 weeks to get our money back and I had to carry around our G-Raids on location (= always needed ac power...)
But generally I would still recomend G-Technology.

EMC
04-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Nice report Gary. I too was very excited when I read the MXO2 announcement and stopped by the Matrox both @ NAB to check it out. The problem I have with it is the lack of DVI out to connect to my ACD. I'm looking for a reasonably priced HD monitoring solution and I'm considering picking up a MXO to use with one of my existing 23" ACD's OR picking up the recently reduced JVC DT-V24L1U and a BM Intensity Card. What's your advice? The MXO solution costs 50% less, it has stellar reviews and I know there are lots of folks whose opinions I respect using it. It's seems ther MXO is a better option for me than the MXO2; I can do color correction on my ACD and loop video out via component to a Plasma. Yes I'd love to have the extra inputs and up-rez. capabilities of the MXO2 but accurate monitoring is my primary goal. I could be wrong, but I don't see a lot of people doing color correction on Plasmas; they're usually mounted high on a wall so I see lots of potential issues, although for playback it will be great. Seems to me the MXO2 is more of an HD I/O solution than HD monitoring product. Now if Apple would update their ACD's to include HDMI imputs ala Dell, then this would be a no-brainer. Cheers!

ERIC

Shane Ross
04-27-2008, 12:51 AM
From all the info I've gathered, HD uncompressed is obviously not possible, (where would you save the files considering the Express card slot is being used), but wouldn't a MacBook Pro be capable of ProRes encoding ?

First off, no, a MacBook Pro is not capable of ProRes encoding...this is why the more expensive AJA I/O HD has a hardware ProRes encoder.

A firewire raided drive like the G-Raid and FirewireVR are capable of capturing 8-bit uncompressed HD. BARELY.

Nik Manning
04-30-2008, 02:31 PM
First off, no, a MacBook Pro is not capable of ProRes encoding...this is why the more expensive AJA I/O HD has a hardware ProRes encoder.

A firewire raided drive like the G-Raid and FirewireVR are capable of capturing 8-bit uncompressed HD. BARELY.

Thanks Shane for making it clear ProRes is a no go on a laptop but could you clearify if 720p24 ProRes (not HQ) version will be able to be captured? I plan on doing this mostly for music video shoots that SD is the deliverable so no really long takes longer than 10 minutes or anything like that. Thanks would be sweet to buy this baby and a new tv and be set.

Satya
05-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Shane

Given that the MXO2 is an excellent portbale I/O box, if I can't ingest at the least 8-bit uncompressed in real time using a MBP - then what use is it really going to be? I have Sata II Raid 0 on the Express card slot but as the MXO2 is going to use it, I will be forced to use the Firewire 800 interface which as you say "barely" manages to capture 8-bit uncompressed.

So what exactly will I be using this box for?

Satya

Nicky
05-14-2008, 09:20 PM
My brother had a crazy idea - what if we had a MBP+matrox MXO2, and then Gigabit Ethernet network to another PC laptop with blazing speeds using its own express slot/sata2 raid0?

Surely the networked/mounted drive will be able to receive the recordings? The problem i see is perhaps Gigabit Ethernet will bottleneck the speed... Anyone know what speed gigabit per second is in megabytes per second? Hopefully it will be around 150megs/second sustained.

Any thoughts, I hope I have explained properly.

Shane Ross
05-15-2008, 01:11 AM
You can capture Uncompressed 8-bit...barely, as I said. And you can capture footage as DVCPRO HD. With a laptop your options are limited. If you want ProRes then you need the AJA I/O HD.

But on a tower, your options are WIDE open. And at half the cost of the I/O HD.

videoguys
09-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Matrox MXO2 Shipping in Time for IBC 2008 – Portable, Affordable, Complete I/O for the Mac

MXO2 Matrox® Video Products Group today announced that the eagerly awaited Matrox MXO2 is set to ship coincident with the opening of the 2008 International Broadcasting Convention (IBC) taking place September 12-16 at the RAI Center in Amsterdam.

Designed to streamline editing workflow with Apple Final Cut Studio on MacBook Pros and Mac Pros, Matrox MXO2 provides broadcast-quality input/output, monitoring, and up/down/cross conversion. Users can benefit from file-based workflows with XDCAM HD, and P2HD. In addition, they are not limited to using a single codec as with some other I/O devices on the market. MXO2 supports a variety of codecs such as ProRes 422 HQ, 10-bit uncompressed HD, and many more.

“Matrox MXO2 was a hit at NAB 2008, winning four prestigious industry awards – a Pick Hit Award from Broadcast Engineering Magazine, a STAR Award from TV Technology Magazine, a Black Diamond Award from DV Magazine, and a Vidy Award from Videography Magazine,” said Alberto Cieri, Matrox sales and marketing director. “It’s clear from the volume of orders that have been pouring in for this innovative product that Matrox is leading the way in mobile editing on the Mac.”

Click here for full press release (http://www.videoguys.com/blog/?p=1241#more-1241)

Gary

MrBill
09-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi Gary. How about some feeback on the MX02 before I buy one? Does it work now that it's released?

Thanks

Bill

MrBill
10-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Ok big question here. Does this work with MPB and HD?
Anybody using it on a notebook with HD?

Thanks

Looks like they answered it below--my apologies

MrBill
10-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Thought it was all too good to be true, I'm now getting RT errors with the Mtrox plugged in could this have something to do with the Matrox?

I'm using a Macbook Pro dual 2.4 gig pentium with 2 gigs of ram and the external drive is connected via the 800 firewire. I'm working in DV. but will need to work in SD PAL as soon as possible. I thoought that the system was able to run HD?

Before connecting the MX02 I was able to run 4 layers of DV with no RT errors.

Now if I have one layer plus two audio tracks and mark an inpoint of the fly they RTerror comes up.

I've run the activity Monitor and it says that there is 1.1 gigs of ram free but how acurate is this?

The only time I had anything like this was when I left the camera connected to the 400 firewire .

Could it be that the MacBook Pro isn't really capable of running the Matrox Mx02?

Is the express card in ths side in the same internal bus as the fire wire?

not sure if this was reseolve------

cellis@matrox.com
10-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Hi MrBill,

Just wanted to let you know that in this thread the RT issue that the client was experiencing was resolved by reinstalling the the MXO2 software.

You can find the thread here http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=1035&sid=5c7ec9d167781f424e410f2389d7623d
Best Regards,

Chris.

videoguys
10-27-2008, 10:59 AM
So far we are getting excellent feedback from our customers who have purchased the MXO2. It does what it says it will and the video quality is outstanding.

We've put some cool bundle promotions together with Boris FX Continuum that I think you'll find worth checking out. http://www.videoguys.com/mxo2.html

Gary

MrBill
11-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks Gary!

dcnblues
11-06-2008, 11:02 PM
I have two quick questions:
-Looking through the specs, I don't see anything the Blackmagic Intensity does that the MX02 doesn't also do. Am I right?
-I haven't used a capture card before. I'm assuming Matrox has a software program with which to control the flow of inputs / outputs. Am I right? Thanks...

ps While it's not on their web page last time I checked, Spec-Comm sells the MX02, and those interested may want to check their price (sorry if this is any kind of violation).

Shane Ross
11-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Blackmagic Intensity...HDMI only.
MXO 2 - HDMI, SDI, COMPONENT, COMPOSITE, SVIDEO

Intensity Pro has more connections, but not SDI. Both can downconvert HD to SD, but MXO2 can upconvert SD to HD.

Intensity Pro...Only works on a MacPro. MXO 2 connects to a laptop or a tower.

dcnblues
11-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Can the the MX02 import HD SDI 1080p (otherwise known as SMPTE 372M Dual Link HD-SDI) into its single input? Can cameras export 1080p without using two cables?

What I'm seeing is that HD-SDI can't do 1080p without two cables.

Yet new cameras (Panasonic HPX170) can record/export 1080p, even if they only have the one HD-SDI output jack.

I'm curious about this.

-The standard subset of HD-SDI is a SMPTE standard, specifically: SMPTE 292M HD-SDI 1.485 Gbit/s, and 1.485/1.001 Gbit/s 720p, 1080i
-It's apparently only good for 1080i, or 720p.
-If you want to output 1080p, you need to go to different standard, which can need two cables and is called: SMPTE 372M Dual Link HD-SDI 2.970 Gbit/s, and 2.970/1.001 Gbit/s 1080p

thisiswells
12-17-2008, 04:01 AM
The MXO2 does everything it says it will do, but here's what they don't tell you:

1) It can't record 1080p23.98 PsF. BIG, BIG, BIG problem, guys! That means you can't use the MXO2 as on set video assist recorder with the Sony F900. It's really unbelievable.

2) You can't bring in HD-SDI video (from an F900 or VariCam, Red, etc) and expect to have a time code signal show up in Final Cut Pro. Apparently that is only available when you use the RS-422 serial port interface on the MXO2.

But, no camera has an RS-422 and although there are adapters to go from the LTC port on the camera to the RS-422 on the MXO2, this could be avoided if Matrox just were to implement the SMPTE RP-188 specification for embedded timecode over HD-SDI.

AJA's competing product, the I/O HD, comes with a special application called VTRXchange that does allow capturing HD-SDI video with time code over HD-SDI cable (SMPTE RP188) in the ProRes format. It's a great solution to ultimately, an Apple problem.

I have been testing the MXO2 for the past couple of weeks, looking for its weaknessess, and frankly, since my needs are unmet, with the MXO2, I am immediately switching to AJA products. I generally thought that AJA products were vastly overpriced for what they are, but after this whole ordeal with Matrox not living up to my expectations and then there's AJA going the complete opposite direction and writing custom software to workaround Final Cut's deficiences, I must say I am rather impressed. They are now, in my mind, a small company that puts a lot of love into their products. They obviously really, really care about what they're putting on the shelves and it shows.

In the end, I must have support for 23.98 PsF capture and SMPTE RP-188. Matrox just does not offer these things currently, and probably won't even bother attempting it anytime in the near future. Just a quick look at how frequently AJA updates software products (several times a year), even for 3 year old products, verses Matrox's once or twice a year updates. Well, it just shows how awesome AJA is and how dedicated they are to our industry. I guess I'd rather buy a product made by a company that only does one thing (AJA) instead of a company that does a lot of unrelated things (Matrox). Just me, but it definitely shows in the depth of each company's products for us video people.

Shane Ross
12-17-2008, 07:09 AM
I am getting tired of people trying to say that a capture card or capture device is utter crap because it won't do this and it won't do that. There isn't one capture card to fulfull EVERY need. What you need to do is assess what you need to do, then get the capture device that suits that need.

"1) It can't record 1080p23.98 PsF. BIG, BIG, BIG problem, guys! That means you can't use the MXO2 as on set video assist recorder with the Sony F900. It's really unbelievable."

I don't need that. Many people don't need that. YOu want that, then get the AJA I/O HD. That is one thing that the IOHD is good for. But I for one don't need that, so it isn't a feature I want nor look for.

"2) You can't bring in HD-SDI video (from an F900 or VariCam, Red, etc) and expect to have a time code signal show up in Final Cut Pro. Apparently that is only available when you use the RS-422 serial port interface on the MXO2."

Again..so what? I don't need this. If you do, then get the IOHD.

The IOHD doesn't do uncompressed video. WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK, RIGHT? No....it is fine if you don't need uncompressed. Not everyone needs to hook this up to a camera...but some people want portability so they can edit with their laptop, and inexpensive.

SO if we can stop the product bashing because it doesn't do one or two...or three very specific things, while another card does...that would be grand. Again...look at your workflow. Look at what you need to do and get the capture device that fulfills that need. Be glad that there are choices out there.

AJA is BMW, DECKLINK is VOLKSWAGEN and MATROX is TOYOTA....for example. Now would it not suck if the ONLY option for a car would be BMW? What if you couldn't afford that BMW? I know I can't. But I need a car to get me somewhere. So I get the less expensive, yet perfectly good Toyota. It does exactly what I need.

I am a fan of AJA and Matrox...and even Decklink. I have used all three and haven't had issues with any. They all offer tools that work.

The fact that

thisiswells
12-17-2008, 01:55 PM
I am getting tired of people trying to say that a capture card or capture device is utter crap because it won't do this and it won't do that. There isn't one capture card to fulfull EVERY need. What you need to do is assess what you need to do, then get the capture device that suits that need.

I agree completely! That's all I was saying really, was that Matrox doesn't do two things that I really need. I will GREATLY MISS not having the ability to power it off an Anton Bauer battery and the fact that it runs on the Express Card, that's very handy, and because it's uncompressed, so there is practically no delay to the monitor.

some people want portability so they can edit with their laptop, and inexpensive.

Really, truthfully, that's all I want.

But, a device that can't capture frame accurate time code from my camera is of little value, IMHO. The fact is that the MXO-2 just does not offer this feature. Running 2 BNC's (one for video, another one for time code) is impractical on TV commercial shoots. It is unnecessarily complicated and more cables = a messy set. Plus, most prosumer cameras with HD-SDI (such as the EX1 and and HPX-170) don't even have a separate TC output. So, time code over HD-SDI (SMPTE RP188) is the only way to do this.

Ultimately, uncompressed HD (MXO-2) is really not a value added feature if the clips it captures do not have time code that corresponds to what's on the tape log. I don't see how that's going to be useful to anyone. And, since the cameras today (EX-1 and HPX-170) offer time code over HD-SDI, why not take advantage of it? That's all I'm saying. Make it functional.

SO if we can stop the product bashing because it doesn't do one or two...or three very specific things, while another card does...that would be grand. Again...look at your workflow. Look at what you need to do and get the capture device that fulfills that need. Be glad that there are choices out there.

Sorry if I was bashing them. I was really, really rooting for them in the beginning.

But, the point is that, for these features that the IO HD offers, it is by far the cheapest solution available. To do the same things with the MXO-2, you would be adding the following costs:

$400 to connect a 23.98 PsF camera (AJA HI-5 adapter)
$3500 to connect a time code over HD-SDI and capture it on the Mac (Evertz box)
$1100 to get a real time SD downconvert from the live HD-SDI input (AJA downconverter)
--
So, $5000, on top of the cost of the MXO-2. Buying a $2500 AJA IO HD is much, much cheaper, man!

MATROX ... It does exactly what I need.
Lucky you! I wish in was in your situation, seriously. : )