PDA

View Full Version : I am so confused, what do I buy?

DanielKoons
03-30-2008, 09:38 PM
I had my mind set on the Canon XH A1, but I really cant spend 3300 just starting out for video. HD is a must, less than 2500 is ideal. Please help me guys thanks so much

J.R. Hudson
03-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Why is high def a must at this point in your adventure ?

DanielKoons
03-30-2008, 09:47 PM
I do photography professional and I want to do video, I do not want to do SD as a stepping stone, I want to get a couple HD camcorders and a blu ray burner.

PerroneFord
03-30-2008, 10:25 PM
If someone came onto a photography forum and announced they were a pro videographer, and wanted to buy a new Pro DSLR but wanted to stay under $1k with the lens, what would you say?

The problem is that, like still photos, there are varying levels out there. HD indicates that you want a specific level of camera. Just like saying you want an SLR instead of a P&S. And the entry into HD has some things that go along with it.

A Canon Rebel is not a Nikon D3. You might get away nicely with a Sony HC7 or HC9. If you are always going to have plenty of light, and are willing to accept the other limitation like weak glass.

If you expect to get nice images, then you want a videocamera with a good lens, and a good recording system. And guess what... it's the same as an SLR. It costs real money.

So why don't you tell us how you plan to utilize the new HD camera, and we can probably steer you into something that will work. Unless you tell us you want the equivalent of that Nikon D3 for under $2500! :)

DanielKoons
03-31-2008, 05:30 PM
Good point, I understand that it will not be completely pro, but you are able to get middle models like a 30D with a lens for under $1000. That is what I was looking for. I am looking for a middle option, between a HV30 and a XHA1. I know Canon does not have one, but there has to be a good middle option it can't only be consumer and then top of the line.

In your analogy I want higher than a Rebel, Less than a D3. I want a D300, or a D200, I just dont know what that is in Video. If the XHA1 is the D300, is there a D70? If that makes sense....

rafikiwilliams
03-31-2008, 07:20 PM
i own the sony hdr-fx7, can probably be picked up on ebay for 2k. so far the only complaint i have is that it doesnt shoot 24p, for the price range i dont see anything comparable.

ZazaCast
03-31-2008, 10:53 PM
You get what you pay for...I say go for it & buy the Cannon. If it doesn't work out, sell it and follow another path.

Evro
04-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I could be wrong but I would say the XH-A1 is more like a 40D where the 300D is more like a Canon HV20. It depends on what you are shooting; if you want to do weddings, the HC7 & HV20 looks like a consumer palmcorder where the Sony FX7 & Canon A1 look like a serious cam (only problem with the FX7 is that it's a toy compared to the A1).
If you're a pro photographer then spend the extra cash and get an A1!