PDA

View Full Version : The Art of War

Daniel Alexander
03-29-2008, 06:16 AM
Greetings, after receiving my Sony ex1 Iíve been playing around with some of itís different functions and decided to try and make a short by just using the lens in the macro setting. Itís just a little mess around using toy soldiers and a fake set I bodged together on the edge of my pc table (sand has gone everywhere) and decided Iíd post the results seeing as I havenít seen much macro footage from the ex1 online and thought it may be of interest to someone.

Anyway if you can, check it out and I hope you enjoy. This is my first time posting a video here, so errrmí be easy on me ;) but please feel free to comment!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/824568 (http://www.vimeo.com/824568)

Stevet
03-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Wow..
I enjoyed watching this. It's apparent you spent some time working on this.
For th life of me I can't remember the name of the song at the end? great choice.

Daniel Alexander
03-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the kind comments Stevet. The whole project took maybe a few hours with editing included, but it was a lot of fun even though im still dusting sand out of my keyboard lol. the song is Mad World by Michael Andrews feat Gary Jules, i chose it because the lyrics were so fitting for the images and i tried my best to sync up some of the shots to the words where possible.

Thanks again, glad you enjoyed

Elijah
03-29-2008, 09:17 AM
The song is "Mad World" originally by Tears For Fears - that version is the cover from the end of "Donnie Darko" - the end sequence of "Donnie Darko" is a filmic cover or homage to the end of Kieslowski's "Blue" (that's a French movie by a Polish film-maker from the 90's BTW) - Richard Kelly taking his multi layered connectivity concept to a higher level.

Great video too Daniel... really simple, yet effective. Funny how that's all it takes sometimes.

Daniel Alexander
03-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks Elijah, glad you enjoyed.

thefilmaddict
03-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Very cool. It makes me miss my plastic soldiers. I kind of want to get my GIJOE and STAR WARS figures out and make something, but I think my mom got rid of them!!!

kubalsky
03-30-2008, 07:18 AM
It is estimated that over a million plastic soldiers are lost in sand pits, sucked up vacuum cleaners or burnt by magnifying glasses every year. Lets hold a minutes silence for these brave, brave men.

Lol. Thanks for sharing man, awesome stuff.

Daniel Alexander
03-30-2008, 08:58 AM
lol thank you

Lenilenapi
03-30-2008, 09:46 AM
That is really fabulous. You have a lot of talent Daniel.
You could probably make a lot of money with Barbie and Ken.

Lenny Levy

DCSensui
03-31-2008, 12:56 AM
Nice work.

Reminds me of a project I did in high school that got a lot local attention and won an honorable mention in the Kodak Teenage Movie Awards. Unfortunately the teacher that was entrusted to keep the original copy (it was done on 8mm film) ended up tossing it into the trash years later, rather than send it to the school library for permanent archive -- or calling me to come get it.

lawriejaffa
03-31-2008, 01:35 AM
Haha excellent - surreal and provocative in its own little way! Excellent little scenes (diorama er i can never spell it!)