PDA

View Full Version : Striping MiniDV Tapes and testing new tape?

mrnatecore
03-20-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm quite new to this.

(1) I heard many advice that you should do striping your tape (PUt lens cap on and recording blank screen) to avoid broken timecodes on Mini DV tapes. However, if I decide to record from start til the end on new MiniDV tape, do I even need to do striping?

(2) When buying a new Mini DV tape, do I have to test recording it?
If so how can I do? Do I just put it in my camcorder and start recording?
If so, isn't it gonna cause broken timecodes if I'm not recording it entirely?

(3) Do you have to fastforward and rewind a new tape before use?
If so, do you fastforward/rewind tape entirely?

What would you guys suggest?

Thanks

BuzzVidiot
04-01-2008, 06:33 PM
I have shot hundreds of hours on my DVX without ever striping (or "blacking") a tape. I never get a broken timecode, although I have heard that if you remove the battery, this may occur (it hasn't for me). Generally, each time you press record and stop, the DVX picks up the timecode without a break. Other camera models vary in this, however.

In buying a new tape, I have been told to go with one brand name (Sony, Panasonic) tape and stick to that brand, as different tape lubricant emulsions will gunk up your head. Just put it in your camera and start recording. I never fastforward and rewind a tape, this causes unneeded wear and tear on your expensive camera motor.

bilgami
04-01-2008, 08:32 PM
if plan on reusing tapes yes then black them before you use them. but buy a rewinder to rewind your tapes or use your download camera, dont use your dvx to rewind tapes.