PDA

View Full Version : Running with the Dead - nektonic

Nektonic
03-12-2008, 10:58 PM
RUNNING WITH THE DEAD

You've heard of the Running of the Bulls. Prepare yourself for the version with zombies.

I'll probably refine the logline at a later date.

Can we make posters for this like in the other fests?

UPDATES:

3/20/08
Finishing work on the characters, back story, and plot. Should have those details ironed out by the weekend. I am aiming to complete the 1st Draft by the end of next week so that I have plenty of time for rewrites. I'll try to get a poster up soon as well (I could use some Photoshop practice).

5/01/08
Well, first of all, I haven't been consistent with updates on this one. I apologize. The reason for this is that this story turned into a monster.

THE BAD NEWS
Originally I thought it was a novel idea for a quick little short script. Boy was I wrong. Running with the Dead has grown into a hungry angry action-packed post apocalyptic sci-fi splatterfest epic. Way too much for 10 pages to handle. The story that I have been trying to cram into 10 pages over the last month is nearly 20 as of this moment. I contemplated all of the ways that I could squeeze this sucker down into a smaller bottle. It just won't fit. (Picture Robocop trying to fit into a Peel P50 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peel_P50) and chase down some crooks for a visual aid.)

THE GOOD NEWS
Running with the Dead is something that has grown on me much more than I originally anticipated. It's characters are large than life and a bit cartoonish in some aspects (cartoonish as in say Snake Plissken, not Bugs Bunny) . I like them regardless. I will continue to develop this story. Most likely into a feature length script. It is not something that I could even dream of doing with a low budget. Yes its a zombie story. I know that there are already tons of zombie films being produced in this day and age. I feel that this one is original. It has some new things to say, not just about zombies, but about humanity as well.

As of now, I am still throwing around more ideas for the progression of the rest of the story. I already have some more plot points and characters planned. I hope to eventually share the details with all you DVXUSERS out there, once I have some more concrete plans for the project. I am a bit disappointed that I can't share this with all of you in the first SCRIPTFEST, however, I can not discount the fact that I probably wouldn't have created this idea without SCRIPTFEST. I just want to thank this site and everyone of you for participating. I submitted another script, called CURRENCY. I'll still be competing and reading all of your scripts. I wish you all good luck and am looking forward to ready your work.

Isaac_Brody
03-12-2008, 11:03 PM
yeah, posters are kosher. Actually, I find it useful to sometimes use a photo as inspiration for writing.

Robbie Comeau
03-13-2008, 01:56 PM
You taking behind the scenes of your work ;)

Nektonic
03-14-2008, 05:51 PM
You taking behind the scenes of your work ;)

I plan on shooting a doc showing me at work on the script. Estimated running time is 3.5 - 4 hours long in a double disc DVD collectors gift set for $49.99. Expect plenty of pacing, tea drinking, swearing, hair pulling, video game breaks, procrastinating, more swearing, among other things we all do as writers.

Just kidding. But if I can design a decent looking poster I'll put that up. Other than that, I don't know what other type of info I could post without giving away too many details about the script.

spa_edwards
03-19-2008, 02:24 PM
I plan on shooting a doc showing me at work on the script. Estimated running time is 3.5 - 4 hours long in a double disc DVD collectors gift set for $49.99. Expect plenty of pacing, tea drinking, swearing, hair pulling, video game breaks, procrastinating, more swearing, among other things we all do as writers..

Lol, i cant wait to see this dvd. Can i pre-order the extended version?

Nektonic
03-19-2008, 11:54 PM
Lol, i cant wait to see this dvd. Can i pre-order the extended version?

Sure. The only catch is that it probably won't be out until 2012, when the Mayan calendar ends. Supposed to be the end of the world. Darn. There go my plans for a sequel.

dvpixl
03-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Nektonic. Your avatar is from BioShock, correct?

Nektonic
03-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Nektonic. Your avatar is from BioShock, correct?

Yes. I'm glad someone noticed. I wasn't sure if it was clear enough to be recognized. Watch out for Big Daddies and Little Sisters.

THE MAYORS DAUGHTER
04-14-2008, 07:21 AM
An independent zombie movie? That always works, good luck bro you'll probably get somewhere with this!

Nektonic
05-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks The Mayors Daughter. I don't think this will be able to be done as an indy flick though. It has a lot of action, extras, difficult locations, effects, etc.

Russell Moore
05-02-2008, 06:54 AM
I liked the original logline to this one. I would definitely be interested in reading this when its finished. Good luck with it!

I know what you mean about Scriptfest, I'm thankful for the whole experience. It jumpstarted me to write my second script. I think I was just nervous to jump right back in again and needed a kick in the butt.