PDA

View Full Version : Scriptfest I - Official Rules

Isaac_Brody
03-09-2008, 10:24 AM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/501/1204668355.jpg

DVXUSER.COM PRESENTS SCRIPTFEST I
You asked for it, and we give it to you. :)

RULES
Theme: Pursuit
Scene requirement: A character following or being followed by another. What do they want from this person? Do they get it?
Length: 5 – 10 pages.
Dates: March 10th - April 30th

The winning script will be produced by the Mod Squad: Barry, Jack Daniel Stanley and Co. (Script depending: Big budget explosions and period pieces may be out of the mod squad budget, but smaller pieces are doable.)

* Prizes will be announced
* Scripts submitted for Scriptfest are eligible for use in regular DVXfests
* Upload details will be announced at the end of the writing period.
* Scripts should be in PDF form.

Stay tuned. More to come. :cheesy:

Erik Olson
03-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm happy to see this! One question. Where you state that the scripts are eligible for use in regular DVXFests, you mean that they remain the property of the author unless the script is the one that wins the ScriptFest?

If you don't win, you're not granting license for anyone in the forum to produce your script? I wouldn't think so, but it merits asking.

e

Jared Meyer
03-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Whoa, this is awesome. Looking forward to hearing more. :thumbsup:

Mark Harris
03-09-2008, 09:49 PM
This is cool, Isaac, I'll prob put something in.

Kholi
03-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Where the heck did this one come form? Nice.

Isaac_Brody
03-09-2008, 10:01 PM
If you don't win, you're not granting license for anyone in the forum to produce your script? I wouldn't think so, but it merits asking.
e

Nope. Writers retain license of their work. They can do with it as they see fit. And if they want to produce the work themselves instead of have the Mod squad produce it that's an option too. This is about nurturing our storytelling skills.

Kholi
03-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Can we get this moved to the top of the page so others see it?

clarkage
03-09-2008, 10:13 PM
This looks really awesome! I cannot wait to see how this turns out!

DJ Lewis
03-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Yes!

ConspiracyPenguin
03-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Wow, much to my dismay I just realized this was here. I agree it should be moved up top and thus more noticable. I am pumped for this! From what I understand, scripts are due by April 30th? I am working on a few TimeFest scripts for other people, but I don't care because I am definitly entering this.

Good luck, and thanks!

ExtremeSleuth
03-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Awesome. I'm so going to think of some ideas. This made my day.

krestofre
03-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Excellent idea! I'm loving the DVX push to get us all working on the craft and not the technical side of filmmaking. Bravo!

ExtremeSleuth
03-10-2008, 07:32 AM
This is great news. I'm so excited.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-10-2008, 07:35 AM
Great Job Isaac. This should be fun!
:beer:

Mark Harris
03-10-2008, 08:24 AM
One question, and this is neither here nor there, I'm just curious.

How will scripts be eligible for future DVXFests, since there will be no way to know what the requirements of those fests will be(prop, theme, etc)? I guess if you happen to write something that hits a theme. Just wondering if you guys have a plan about that.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Right. Or maybe if you can write a script that satisfies Pursuit and Time.

pmark23
03-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Pursuit.

Do you mean a chase, or can it be a metaphysical pursuit?

When you say: "A character following or being followed by another", do you mean this in the literal sense (such as someone being chased down a dark alley), or can it also be about, say, the pursuit of ideas, a lost love, leadership, etc, etc...

Mark Harris
03-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Right. Or maybe if you can write a script that satisfies Pursuit and Time.

Oh I see, you mean for THIS fest, because we know the theme. I somehow got it in my head that you guys would create a script archive out of these for future fests as yet unannounced.

Barry_Green
03-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Pursuit.

Do you mean a chase, or can it be a metaphysical pursuit?

When you say: "A character following or being followed by another", do you mean this in the literal sense (such as someone being chased down a dark alley), or can it also be about, say, the pursuit of ideas, a lost love, leadership, etc, etc...

Now the fest has officially begun. :thumbsup:

Well, I defer to Isaac, but I would think that pursuit of a loved one would count, etc., I wouldn't expect that we'd want every entry to be cop chases! How about Eli Manning being pursued by the San Diego Chargers defense? Hillary Clinton pursuing Barack Obama in the race for delegates? Cop chases, obviously, and purse snatchers and such. One's loved one is headed for the airport forever out of your life, and you have to pursue...

Pursuit of ideas? Pursuit of happiness? No, the rules say it's a character following or being followed by another. I'd like Isaac to weigh in on what the interpretation of "followed" would be.

Ted Arabian
03-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey hey! This is great!!!

Nice!

Isaac_Brody
03-10-2008, 09:53 AM
One question, and this is neither here nor there, I'm just curious.

How will scripts be eligible for future DVXFests, since there will be no way to know what the requirements of those fests will be(prop, theme, etc)? I guess if you happen to write something that hits a theme. Just wondering if you guys have a plan about that.

Depending on the script, it shouldn't be too hard to rewrite a piece to satisfy theme and prop requirements. I just figured that if it comes out of scriptfest and you happen to write a very good horror script, it could come in handy six months from now if horrorfest pops up. Just seemed like a nice plus that if you create something in this that you can put it towards the fest.

SimonB
03-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Looking forward to this!

smashedburrito
03-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Excellent! I am excited for this!

Herman Witkam
03-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Cool idea! Looking forward to reading the submissions :thumbsup:

Sprocketboy
03-10-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm at a loss for words. :happy:

Ki-Ki
03-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Damn where was this... Been existing fora few hours and I've only Just seen it.. Odd.. Sounds great.

Drew Ott
03-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Great idea. I may try to enter, even though I just realized (for TimeFest) that writing isn't my* cup of tea.

Chris Messineo
03-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Very cool.

I'm curious, how will the judging work for this?

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-10-2008, 01:57 PM
We're talking about all that stuff right now.

I bet you have some good thoughts on it though Chris. Input is welcome.

Larry Rutledge
03-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Actually, the judging is quite simple. The script that I submit is automatically declared the winner ... the rest are drawn from a hat :evil: :grin:

Robbie Comeau
03-10-2008, 03:02 PM
HUGE surprise.

I'm no writer, but I'll give it a try. Hey, If I bang out a nice script, I may want to use it for my self :) Oh, I'll try not to be to greedy.

This is awesome, a nice surprise for all the writers out there.

Since others will produce, I'm going nuts on explosions, planes, helicopters being picked up by humans, and so on...

:)

Robbie

Larry Rutledge
03-10-2008, 03:46 PM
This is an important piece of information in the initial post:

s][/COLOR](Script depending: Big budget explosions and period pieces may be out of the mod squad budget, but smaller pieces are doable.)

Robbie Comeau
03-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Oh I know...I was just kidding around! :)

Edgen
03-10-2008, 03:59 PM
wowa!! This is very cool! Looking forward to these entries for sure.

good luck everyone!
/j

Robbie Comeau
03-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Curious, what is the mod squads budget? I'm still trying to figure out if I should keep the robotic house or not...

Hm, I sound presumptuous of winning don't I...I'm just in it for the experience and fun guys!

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-10-2008, 06:10 PM
About a buck fitty.

Kidding.

Watch unawakening. That's the outside edge of what we can afford. In fact watch unawakening but close your eyes whenever the rotted corpse is on. That's the outside edge of what we can afford.

So contemporary. Easily found locations. Crime genre is probably OK, Barry and I know a crime show producer, but not if it's heavily dependent on marked squad cars etc.

Remember that your entry doesn't have to be producible by us to win. But obviously having your cake and eating it too would involve writing a kickass screenplay that's reasonably producible.

:beer:

Robbie Comeau
03-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Crap I gotta change my Day Light Savings Time.

I got a killer, and by killer, I sure as hell mean a killer script so far. 4 pages :)

ConspiracyPenguin
03-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Actually, the judging is quite simple. The script that I submit is automatically declared the winner ... the rest are drawn from a hat :evil: :grin:

So much for the "I don't think any of our scripts are better, but who can do justice to them" thing you said over in the TimeFest area! Haha, anyway, I am pumped for this!

Just finished the first draft of another TieFest entry but as soon as I get time I will start writing this up!

Thanks,

Erik Olson
03-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Can't the scripts be voted for in a poll? Surely, the mods can put more than 10 options into a poll?

e

clarkage
03-10-2008, 09:04 PM
hmmmm...

Zak Forsman
03-11-2008, 04:07 PM
i would like to submit the "script" for IFHY (or Ron's pursuit of his ex-girlfriend):

"UNTITLED"

EXT. CAROL'S FRONT DOOR - DAY

RON: convince Carol to leave with you and retrieve her favorite mug. use props to appeal to her sense of nostalgia (improv).

CAROL: convince him to bring the mug back later. it holds special significance to you. (why?)

INT. RON'S APARTMENT - DAY

RON: get her to stay as long as possible, when she finds the mug it will be the last time you'll see her, so tell her everything you've been keeping inside.

CAROL: you're suspicious. look for the mug around his apartment. you used to live here with him. when you find it, no matter what he says, you have to go home. don't be afraid to tell him that.

(this really is word for word, the only thing I ever wrote down for IFHY)

i'll see if i can't whip something new up for ScriptFest.

Isaac_Brody
03-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Well Mike Leigh does script his work, just after months of rehearsals. Better crack the whip with your actors now. :)

John LaBonney
03-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Glad to see dvxuser is launching this. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. Hope we can make it successful enough to do it again!

Mark Harris
03-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Hey all, can our Timefest script, the one we are already producing for this, be considered?

Matthew R. Rodwell
03-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Go ahead and sign me up, I think I am going to submit my TimeFest script after I polish it and format it properly.

deedive
03-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Scene requirement: A character following or being followed by another. What do they want from this person? Do they get it?
Length: 5 10 pages.

can i submit my script from "Check"???

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Check could be both time fest and Script fest.

Dunno about entering scripts that have been produced already in DVXuser fests. My feeling is "no" since it's already been produced and part of this is an resource for Users to get their scripts produced.

Will have to pow-wow or way in with Isaac though for a definitive answer.

In other words, we'll get back to you :)

Matthew R. Rodwell
03-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Nope. Writers retain license of their work. They can do with it as they see fit. And if they want to produce the work themselves instead of have the Mod squad produce it that's an option too. This is about nurturing our storytelling skills.

My understanding of this is scripts for TimeFest submissions that are currently being produced are still allowed to compete in both this and TimeFest. I'm not sure about the SpyFest entry though but I would assume that would be the same.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-11-2008, 09:34 PM
My understanding of this is scripts for TimeFest submissions that are currently being produced are still allowed to compete in both this and TimeFest. I'm not sure about the SpyFest entry though but I would assume that would be the same.
that is indeed the correct interpretation and intent of that rule.

Dale brought up a new unforeseen, thus far undiscussed new issue, to which that rule has no bearing.

Matthew R. Rodwell
03-11-2008, 09:44 PM
that is indeed the correct interpretation and intent of that rule.

Dale brought up a new unforeseen, thus far undiscussed new issue, to which that rule has no bearing.

Ok, just wanted to make sure I was ok submitting my TimeFest script even though I am still producing it for the fest. Thanks Jack.

Brandon Rice
03-11-2008, 09:59 PM
oh, I'm in :)

deedive
03-12-2008, 05:19 AM
sorry JDS, my comment was a bad joke.:(
Matthews question is interesting tho.
Scriptfest is a great idea, can't wait to see the film.

Detached
03-12-2008, 02:45 PM
where do we send it when its done?

Much thanks!

John Scott
03-12-2008, 03:20 PM
This sounds very cool.

I needed to find a contest early. This will certainly be good for me.

Charlie Anderson
03-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Hmmm I have an interesting Idea, I guess I can give it a go

Bill Clar
03-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Other than being in a PDF, does the script have to follow certain formatting standards?

13th Judas
03-16-2008, 07:26 AM
RULES

How about if my character is chasing a THING and not a person?

Isaac_Brody
03-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Is this thing a character? If not, it needs to be a character. It can even be a character carrying a thing, but a character pursuing another.

13th Judas
03-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Is this thing a character? If not, it needs to be a character. It can even be a character carrying a thing, but a character pursuing another.

What do you mean by IT needs to be a character? My story revolves around person/people chasing this THING. The title of my story, is in fact, the name of this thing.

Barry_Green
03-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Other than being in a PDF, does the script have to follow certain formatting standards?
Of course. It should follow typical standardized screenplay formatting.

Isaac_Brody
03-16-2008, 12:15 PM
What do you mean by IT needs to be a character? My story revolves around person/people chasing this THING. The title of my story, is in fact, the name of this thing.

A character pursuing another. Not characters pursuing a thing. If the thing/it is in the possession of a character being pursued then that's cool.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Do you mean it's an animate thing? Like a werewolf, mummy, or bear escaped from the zoo? If so, that's a character. It can't be the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. It can be a boogeyman.

13th Judas
03-16-2008, 02:32 PM
i really don't know if my story qualifies the criteria. but definitely, my story is all about PURSUIT. lots of running. the THING was in the possession of somebody then got loose ... then gone with somebody but not actually possessing it (holding/carrying). oh, wait ... i've got one scene when my characters are literally chasing somebody. will that be enough?

Isaac_Brody
03-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Yes, that sounds fine.

13th Judas
03-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Yes, that sounds fine.

Many Thanks.

2 more scenes left :cheesy:

EXT. HIGH STREET. DAY

SAM stops, catching his breath at the pavement. LITTLE JOEY runs behind him. They see the (THING) taxi down at the center of the busy street. Thinking that it would be ran over by the upcoming vehicles, running at 40kph, Sam hesitantly crosses the street to pick the (thing) up - stopping car after another. Little Joey worriedly looks on at the side of the road.

A MAN dials some numbers on his cellphone while driving . . .

armadillo
03-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Good thinking everyone, love the initiative.

Captain Pierce
03-17-2008, 09:54 PM
OK, please forgive me for playing the "does it work" card, but...

Does it work if the script deals with what happens after the pursuit? Like, for example, the cop has caught the criminal, but the script is more about whether nor not whether the cop gets what he wants?

ConspiracyPenguin
03-17-2008, 10:43 PM
OK, please forgive me for playing the "does it work" card, but...

Does it work if the script deals with what happens after the pursuit? Like, for example, the cop has caught the criminal, but the script is more about whether nor not whether the cop gets what he wants?

I won't pretend to know everything, but based on the rules, my best conjecture would be that you have to have a physical persuit in your script.

I would a suggest opening with a short clip of the chase, then running the title/opening creds and flow into the film. That way you also introduce the audience to what is happening, all the while hooking them with an interesting opening. I think you could also get away with flashbacks for your situation.

Best of luck to you! :beer:

Isaac_Brody
03-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Hey, it doesn't have to be a big scene involving pursuit. It could be a guy pursuing a girl to ask her what time it is. Maybe they strike up a conversation and he gets her number, or maybe he gets the time and that's it, he moves on to his main goal.

Point is, don't think that this this has to involve a cop, a robber, and a plot to save the world. Don't get hungup. I hate rules, I will write myself out of rules if I have to and especially if it stifles my creativity. You can go big or small with the scene requirement, it's up to you. What your character pursues after that is up to you.

Captain Pierce
03-18-2008, 06:08 AM
Well, as it happens, about midnight a chase scene wrote its way into the script anyway, so to quote Rosanne Rosannadanna... "Never Mind." :D Thanks.

Charlie Anderson
03-19-2008, 12:47 PM
So what are we not allowed to do? give away ANYTHING in the script or can we give a basis, outline, etc on a separate page to help give us an outline (As long as a physical script doesn't appear)?

mroctoberfest
03-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Where do we send our scripts when finished?

pmark23
03-20-2008, 07:22 PM
My entry is done. What do I do with it?

StormFactory
03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
You say 5 to 10 pages.

That is 5 to 10 pages in standard script format right?

I was part of judging a five page screenplay competition and some people submitted scripts that used Times Roman and wider than standard margins. So while most people followed the 5 page rule, other people changed fonts and cheated margins to squeeze their 12 pages into 5. It became a nightmare and we ended up just DQ'ing people.

To avoid that with ScriptFest, you may want to layout what your script format standard will be for people that don't use Movie Magic Screenwriter or Final Draft or some other screenwriting program.

ConspiracyPenguin
03-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Great idea. I myself used to format scripts manually in word, but a week or two ago, was introduced to the magic of Celtx. I think it should be made clear what formatting is required.

Xrayspecs
03-25-2008, 01:08 AM
Where do I submit my script? I wrote it in Final Draft and saved it as a PDF.

David W. Richardson
03-25-2008, 01:38 AM
I write using MS Word. I don't have a way to save my script as a .PDF file, and I'm loathe to spend $300 on Acrobat just to submit to this contest. Any other options allowed as far as file format goes?

Nektonic
03-25-2008, 01:59 AM
chapelgrovefilms,

You can download Celtx, FOR FREE (not trying to be sarcastic with the big letters, but show my excitement for the awesomeness of Celtx). I've written some shorts in Word myself. Going from Word to Celtx will be like going from a 60i handycam to a 24p DVX.

http://www.celtx.com/

As for transfers from Word to Celtx:

One day I got to thinking, I bet if I copy and paste a document from Word into Celtx, it will work out just spiffy. It did, with only some minor corrections needed here or there. The way to do it is to create a blank text document in Celtx. Copy and paste your script from Word into this blank Celtx document. Next, open up a new script document file in Celtx, then copy from the Celtx document file into the script file. Once you have your script in Celtx, switch to the Typeset tab view located at the bottom of the interface. Located at the top of the page interface will be a little floppy disc icon that says Save to PDF. That's all there is to it.

The nice thing about this is that you can still use Word in your writing workflow if you prefer, but then also use Celtx to generate a properly formatted script.

karapetkov
03-25-2008, 03:29 AM
Are scripts for commercials appropriate for this fest?

I have a finished idea for a (supposedly) funny commercial, that I'd re-write for it.

Captain Pierce
03-25-2008, 07:03 AM
chapelgrove - http://www.primopdf.com/ is a free program that will let you "print" to a .pdf from Word (or most other Windows programs).

Chris Messineo
03-25-2008, 07:35 AM
http://www.pdfonline.com is a great free online source for creating pdf's. Just upload your file and it gives you back a pdf.

pmark23
03-25-2008, 08:08 AM
PDF995 (http://pdf995.com) is also free.

Celts is pretty good. I've almost given up Final Draft for it. I'm also trying Sophocles (beta is free) which has built-in budgeting and scheduling.

Isaac_Brody
03-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Are scripts for commercials appropriate for this fest?

I have a finished idea for a (supposedly) funny commercial, that I'd re-write for it.

If you can turn your idea into a script go for it. Upload details will be announced at the end of the writing period, end of April.

karapetkov
03-25-2008, 05:28 PM
If you can turn your idea into a script go for it. Upload details will be announced at the end of the writing period, end of April.

Can't hurt to try ;).

StormFactory
03-26-2008, 10:51 PM
PDF995 (http://pdf995.com) is also free.

Celts is pretty good. I've almost given up Final Draft for it. I'm also trying Sophocles (beta is free) which has built-in budgeting and scheduling.I didn't know that Sophocles did budgeting and scheduling now. Good to know. For those that are interested, the link to the beta test is http://www.sophocles.net/beta/

Farnsworth
03-27-2008, 06:22 AM
Sophocles is by far my fave! I've used it professionally for years. Beats the pants off both Final Draft and Movie Magic, IMHO.

wcabral
03-27-2008, 10:46 PM
So when can we start entering our scripts? I have one already done.

Bill Clar
04-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Is product placement allowed? For example, can I use name brand video games like World of Warcraft or is that a no-no?

pest22o
04-02-2008, 11:13 AM
So wait it can be any type of pursuite right, like a monster chasing a siamese clown across the woods; or like some unknown being following someone with out them ever really seeing them? I't just has to be someone or something/things chasing them right, because I have this idea that's kinda crazy.

Detached
04-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Can a script be submitted that was previously written as long as it meets the chase criteria?
Tx

Isaac_Brody
04-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Can a script be submitted that was previously written as long as it meets the chase criteria?
Tx

Nope. But you can use an old idea you had and write a script from it.

Detached
04-02-2008, 01:59 PM
So.. let me see if I understand ;-(
If I wrote a script a year ago and haven't done anything much with it since then, I can NOT use it here?
But if I tweak it a little I can?
Sorry to be so lame.

Larry Rutledge
04-02-2008, 02:02 PM
No, you have to actually "WRITE" the script within the time period specified in the original rules post. So, if you had an idea you've been kicking around for a few years, then you could certainly sit down and write out a script from that idea and submit it.

But if you wrote the script and had it laying around, then no, you can not submit that. It must be an original work, written specifically for this fest.

Detached
04-02-2008, 02:34 PM
bummer! I better get crackin'. My other script has been read in forums, so its a good thing I asked, I know some folks here would recognize it. ;-)

The chase is on!:Drogar-Mark-04(DBG)

Detached
04-02-2008, 02:35 PM
oh... and thanks!

ABSteel
04-02-2008, 02:50 PM
I can't wait to enter this!

85poundsofentertainment
04-03-2008, 10:54 AM
I think that some of the prizes should be essential film equipment. (ie. a nice Panny camera as grand prize), because I know that a lot of people entering this are doing so, because thay want to have their ideas heard, but don't have the resources (money) to make a film.

pest22o
04-03-2008, 11:16 AM
prize suggestion: a 35mm adapter.

Jack Daniel Stanley
04-03-2008, 12:48 PM
I was hoping for a Ferrari. :)

ConspiracyPenguin
04-03-2008, 09:45 PM
I was hoping for a Ferrari. :)

Good idea, Jack. Although on my list of possible prizes I put down "Bugatti"

On a more serious note, I think a 35mm Adapter would be a cool prize, as well as a camera (maybe even just an HV20). But I believe the "prize" is the fact that the winner gets his/her film made, so...

alex whitmer
04-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Can a script be put up on Zoetrope for feedback, or does that kill it?

A

www.alexwhitmer.wordpress.com (http://www.alexwhitmer.wordpress.com)

seansshack
04-04-2008, 02:28 AM
Can you enter only once?

zurichchan
04-04-2008, 11:21 AM
does it have to be english?

Isaac_Brody
04-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Can a script be put up on Zoetrope for feedback, or does that kill it?

A

www.alexwhitmer.wordpress.com (http://www.alexwhitmer.wordpress.com)

Are you putting it up before or after the fest? If you want to put it up after the fest is done that's fine, but for the duration of the fest we're keeping things local.

Isaac_Brody
04-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Can you enter only once?

You can enter more than one. Just make sure you put the effort into both. I would say it's better to have one polished peace instead of two rough drafts.

Isaac_Brody
04-04-2008, 12:51 PM
does it have to be english?

It has to be english. You can stipulate in your script that your characters speak in Russian, Chinese, etc. But English for the fest so everyone can read it.

Detached
04-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I agree, that would be so cool!!!

Jack Daniel Stanley
04-04-2008, 02:33 PM
What would be cool?

Detached
04-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Whoops, I was looking at a different thread. It was talking about the award for this, a camera, and I thought that would be cool. ;-)

alex whitmer
04-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Okay, so no Zoetrope. Thanks for the response. Next question ...

Is the end of the the writing period also the end of the fest, or are these two seperate dates?

A

www.alexwhitmer.wordpress.com

seansshack
04-05-2008, 04:52 AM
Thanks. Would be better to concentrate on one.

Was just asking in case another idea came up during the first.

aegriffin
04-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm ready to post when you all are. :)

Logline:

bang.

"Caught in a mutually destructive obsession, Muggby and Lisa pursue their only way out."

Peace!

aegriffin
04-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Cute PDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp) is also free and without those annoying pop ups that PDF995 uses.

Larry Rutledge
04-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Yea, I prefer Cute PDF to PDF995 also ... though if you use CeltX it has a built in "Print to PDF" feature

aegriffin
04-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah, CeltX is fun and incredibly useful - and the price is right - but I still prefer good ole Final Draft. Old habits I guess...

Man, this site is a blast! I signed up on it a few years back and must have promptly "forgot." I've been busy making stacks of films with my DVX and would have appreciated the technical insight and critical feedback of others as I struggled through it sooner rather than latter.

Well, now I know.... ;)

StefanHaynes
04-14-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm a little confused. When it says the theme is pursuit, but the scene requirement is there be a character being followed by another, can these two be divergent? i.e., the exploration of the theme could be an intangible pursuit as long as there is also an actual character pursuit at some point, or does the ENTIRE film need to revolve around one character pursuing another? Or are there specific percentages of the script that need to be one character pursuing another?

ConspiracyPenguin
04-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Reading the rules, which are very loose, it can be reasonably implied that the "Theme" and the "Requirement" could be two different things. Say for example your story is about a guy in persuit of the perfect love, and in one scene you have some creepy chick following him and he thinks she is a stalker but it turns out he just dropped his wallet. It is my interpretation that this would be acceptable because it 1) Incorporates the general theme and 2) Includes a physical persuit of sorts.

The above thoughts are the ones I am using when writing my script (which I need to start!) and don't worry, if there were specific percentage requirements or anything like that, it would be clearly spelled out in the rules. I think the mods left them ambiguous on purpose to allow some creativity on te part of the writers. Just be sure not to stray too far from the central theme and you should be fine.

Good Luck,

karapetkov
04-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Can you upload 2 scripts?

I got one silly commercial script and one more serious [I hope].

Dunno if I'll make it to deliver both of them.

But.. what does the book say? :)

Isaac_Brody
04-15-2008, 11:54 AM
You can upload two, but make sure you put the effort into both.

karapetkov
04-16-2008, 06:56 AM
Yep.

Effort is my middle name. :)

Larry Rutledge
04-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Hmmm... what if my script is less than 5 pages? I thought I would need 8 pages, but after finishing it this morning I see it's only 3 pages. I could expand it, but I'm afraid it would stretch the story out excessively and ruin the ending.

karapetkov
04-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Mine is actually.... 1 page. :)

Guess that's out... Or?

ConspiracyPenguin
04-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Well the rules do say "5-10 pages" but I suppose we should allow a Mod to weigh in on this. Larry? (Dramatic pause followed by stunning look of realization) Oh. Whoops...

On another note, I finally came up with my story idea today. I will start to write soon. I might even hit Celtx up right now!

Larry Rutledge
04-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Well the rules do say "5-10 pages" but I suppose we should allow a Mod to weigh in on this. Larry? (Dramatic pause followed by stunning look of realization) Oh. Whoops...

:grin:

Sorry ... I was just goofing around. I finished my first draft and it only came in at 3 pages. I knew I would be working on it more, but got to thinking about how some people might do that and then come beg for a concession on the rules ... so I did.

Guess I forgot this: http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/sarcasm.gif

karapetkov
04-19-2008, 11:37 AM
:grin:

Sorry ... I was just goofing around. I finished my first draft and it only came in at 3 pages. I knew I would be working on it more, but got to thinking about how some people might do that and then come beg for a concession on the rules ... so I did.

Guess I forgot this: http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/sarcasm.gif

I see that you guys've been upgrading your avatars to HDTV ready ones. :)

Now ain't that a good cause to abolish the lower page limit for the scripts, making 1-10 page scripts submittable to the fest?

:Drogar-Happy(DBG):

GGF NYC
04-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Okay I just realized that I might have come into a problem. I'm still using Final Draft 7 DEMO as I have never purchased the regular full version. So when I save it as a PDF file it says "DEMO" in the background. Is this going to be a problem, will this still be acceptable. I really don't want to have to go out and by the program if I don't have to. Is it cool if it still says "Demo" in the background? Thanks, George.

Isaac_Brody
04-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah, it's cool. As long as we can read the script it's all good.

karapetkov
04-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Wow, 2:35 : 1 avatars.

Lol. :)

Larry Rutledge
04-20-2008, 07:24 AM
You could also download celtx (http://www.celtx.com). It is 100% free.

ConspiracyPenguin
04-20-2008, 11:45 AM
You could also download celtx (http://www.celtx.com). It is 100% free.

And 100% amazing! Nice example of sarcasm, by the way, Larry (up above, no quote because I am too lazy) I started my script finally, it is exactly three pages right now, but not finished, so hopefully I'll get a nice round 5 or a little higher.

karapetkov
04-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Yeah CeltX is pretty cool. I guess a lot of writing people will be using it in the future.

GGF NYC
04-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info. on celtx...By the way just to make everything 100% clear font size should be 12 as well right?

smashedburrito
04-21-2008, 07:20 AM
9 days left! WooHoo!

karapetkov
04-21-2008, 08:08 AM
My script sucks. WooHoo!

ConspiracyPenguin
04-21-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm not done yet. Woo hoo!

alex whitmer
04-21-2008, 11:02 AM
I hate writing. Boo Hoo!

Isaac_Brody
04-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Time for me to start mine. :)

pest22o
04-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Okay so I wrote for like 30 minutes and finishes my script, it's 7 pages of random dialogue, then a Pursuite happens for the last 3, but the random dialogue in the begining does lead them to the situation where they're being pursuited? I is that even a word? ...what was my question again? oh yeah so doe sit matter if there's mor dialogue then actual chasing going on?

Isaac_Brody
04-21-2008, 11:57 AM
No. It's up to you. Pursuit doesn't have to be treated so literally, or have to involve a character chasing another down an alleyway.

pest22o
04-21-2008, 01:00 PM
No. It's up to you. Pursuit doesn't have to be treated so literally, or have to involve a character chasing another down an alleyway.

it's funny you put it that way because that's what happens.

karapetkov
04-21-2008, 01:42 PM

The pursuit of truth. Thanks.

GGF NYC
04-21-2008, 10:28 PM
It's funny you even mention an Alley-way. I used that in my short as well.

smashedburrito
04-22-2008, 01:27 PM
A lot of people use alleyways. Since we all have different stories I don't think it will be too big a problem. My alleyway may be full of children chasing lollipops while yours may have rats and gang members. It shouldn't be a problem.

Detached
04-22-2008, 09:04 PM
That is so funny... I had alleyway... hahahah... I changed it to just Alley.

That is so funny. I guess a chase always has an ally in it!

Is this an anonomous (sp) test? We can or cannot put our name on title page?
Thanks,

seansshack
04-23-2008, 12:23 PM
another alley in mine. Gotta have one in a chase

karapetkov
04-23-2008, 12:43 PM
A Never-Ending alley...

Why doesn't it end?

Dream, Nightmare, Lynch?

John LaBonney
04-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Okay, about a week left until the deadline at this point. I wanted to make a quick post encouraging everyone to write and submit their scripts.

We've asked dvxuser for this festival and they gave it to us. Let's make a good on this by making a strong showing here. Get your entries written and submitted. Not everything has been made clear about the submission process and the judging and the prizes (if we're lucky), but try to remember that this fest is in its infancy and we'll get through the kinks along the way.

Hopefully there with be a NextScriptFest. But if we the users don't show enough interest, dvxuser might not be so inclined to host this again.

It may not be easy to write a good short script, but let's face it: it involves a whole lot less effort, money, and time than making a complete short film for one of the dvxuser film fests. And we all know how many entries those fests get: plenty.

So, even if you haven't started on your script, there's still time to write and polish a solid 5-10 page entry. If you haven't written anything before, and are afraid of not making a good showing, don't be. This is your chance to get something you've written reviewed by people who know what they're talking about. You should at a minimum pick up some good tips that you can use in the future.

Besides, the prize is pretty dang spiffy: your script made into a movie. Every screenwriter's dream.

ConspiracyPenguin
04-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks, John, for the morale boosting pep talk. I hadn't realized it was only one week until the submission deadline. I am almost done, but I've been sulking around the house for the last few days with nothing to do and now I have something.

PS: I don't have an alleyway...yet. Off to Celtx!

Mark Harris
04-23-2008, 09:27 PM
I have one about 90% polished. Am about the same percent sure I will enter it. I have a week to clean it up.

GGF NYC
04-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Just finished mine today. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out and can't wait for the users to review it. This is my first screenplay I've written yet! So I will be happy with everyone just reading it and kicking back a review. Good luck to all and I will speak to everyone when the time is up. Let's make some magic.

ConspiracyPenguin
04-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Finished mine earlier this evening. Still a little up in the air about it, but you can check out the thread here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=133187

Isaac_Brody
04-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Have my idea and a rough outline. Just slammed with work but will have writing time this weekend to get something together.

smashedburrito
04-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Five days left guys. Get typing!

Justin Muschong
04-25-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm new here (aegriffin referred me), so I just wanted to say hello and I'm jazzed for the fest.

StefanHaynes
05-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Well, I just couldn't make my script good enough.

So GOOD NEWS: you won't have to read it :)

filmmaker98
05-05-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm a little disappointed ....I missed the first fest..... becoz of my B.tech exams...when will be the second festival..I'm very keenly looking forward for it??

Captain Pierce
05-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Here's a question that I just thought of: if the winning script is deemed within the "Mod Squad's" ability to produce, will it be produced as submitted, or will the author have the chance to act upon some of the great ideas that we're all getting? :) If we'll have the chance to rewrite, will the page count requirement stay the same, or might an extra page or two be allowed? Just curious.

(For the record, I'd definitely be in favor of the former, especially given how much constructive feedback the fest is producing; but even I'm not sure about adding pages, though I just brought it up. :) )

Isaac_Brody
05-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Of course you can rewrite. It will probably have to undergo some changes depending on the mod squad's resources. By all means, make it BETTER.