PDA

View Full Version : How much did LoveFest cost you?

jmc
02-21-2008, 01:09 PM
I've been really impressed by the films this fest. A lot of hard work and effort has gone into making these, and it got me thinking. I know it's easy to think all it takes is some time and a few friends, but I'm curious to know how much it really costs to make a solid entry.

Did anybody hire actors, composers, etc? Rent equipment? Pay for permits or insurance? Build and/or dress a set? Gas and food costs worth mentioning? What else?

I've never been on a production like one of these, and I'd like to get a better grasp on what to watch out for, so tips on how to avoid certain costs would be great too.

Zak Forsman
02-21-2008, 01:15 PM
$40... to feed five people. the rest was done with available resources and donations.

ConspiracyPenguin
02-21-2008, 01:20 PM
I spent $0 and a few hours. But then again all I did was watch the films, not make one ;-)

Larry Rutledge
02-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Zak - how'd you feed five people for $40? I ask cause I have two shoot dates coming up and I'm stressing on coming up with food. Course I need four meals for a lot more than 5 ... but still, any ideas may help :)

Zak Forsman
02-21-2008, 01:25 PM
it was just 5 lunch specials from an Indian restaurant around the corner.

Matty_g
02-21-2008, 01:25 PM
we had indian food delivered :)

Hey Larry, did you get my pm?

Charlie Anderson
02-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Dominos 5-5-5 deal!!!!!

and mine cost me $0

bosindy
02-21-2008, 01:32 PM
leather slave hood - $185
rubber fist - $35
fedora - $50
arts and crafts baby simp hood - $50
baby carriage rental - $20
trunk - $20
Photos of simp graduation and frame - $30
mic and light rental - $120
food - $150
travel and expenses for cast/crew $250
gels and diffusion $70
misc $20

total $1,000

I am sure I am forgetting something.

Dustin R. Rogan
02-21-2008, 01:45 PM
I'd say close to $250 for food for 2 days. eating out gets expensive lol but i could be worse off outta pocket eh?

Mark Harris
02-21-2008, 01:52 PM
About $200.

Hunter Hampton
02-21-2008, 01:53 PM
around 500k... I mean 500 dollars.

William_Robinette
02-21-2008, 02:01 PM
About $100 for food for a weekend.

Bernie Hipos
02-21-2008, 02:05 PM
for me $20 for food and park entrance fee.

jmc
02-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the responses so far, guys. And thanks for the detailed breakdown Bosindy. Those little things can add up.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-21-2008, 02:33 PM
$30.00 Lights and mic rental.
$30.00 Pizza
$20.00 misc pop and chips.

So... about $80.00
Give or take a few...

Mike

cheezweezl
02-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Zak - how'd you feed five people for $40?

try cup-o-noodles. you can feed 40 people for $5 :thumbsup:

Robbie Comeau
02-21-2008, 02:37 PM
$0 :)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-21-2008, 02:49 PM
You should always give your crew and cast a little something.
Doesn't cost much for a case of water and some chips. :)

If you feed them even more you'll find that they'll be much more eager to show up to any future projects. When I bought everyone pizza the shock on their faces was more than worth it.

:beer:

Robbie Comeau
02-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Oh, well we got them pizza...

And we had drinks at the house we were at...

So about 25-30 bucks.

RyanT
02-21-2008, 03:12 PM
I bought way too much food.

Probably like $150 for snacks, breakfast, and lunch for 12 people. Trader joeeees, woooo.

Then $40 for a mac classic and 30 for the whole aquarium getup. Everything else I borrowed.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Oh, well we got them pizza...

And we had drinks at the house we were at...

So about 25-30 bucks.
That's all it takes... :thumbup:

Pizza goes a long way. :D

Rodney V. Smith
02-21-2008, 03:18 PM
$15 at Five Guys Burgers (the best burger you will EVER eat)
$5 for the tulips
$2 for the green pepper and onions
(then I cooked the pork and the rice meal in the movie, and after the shot, we all ate a nice hot dinner)
$20 Gas card for my actor

I guess it was all on food since we did all of the work and had our own lights.

Ted Arabian
02-21-2008, 03:28 PM
For a 1 day shoot...

$200 for my actors (it felt great to pay them!)
$50 for food, water and snacks (the crew and actors were so surprised the craft service table. After all, they are theatre folks and rarely get any treatment)
$150 on candles, candle goblets, candle stands, and the lit water fountain.
$3 for the silk bed scrim (Salvation Army!)
$50 for garter belt, stockings, bra, and panties

bosindy
02-21-2008, 04:07 PM
of course we are not including the $10 - 30K worth of equipment most of us own or our friends donate :-)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-21-2008, 04:30 PM
of course we are not including the $10 - 30K worth of equipment most of us own or our friends donate :-)
LOL! Speak for yourself! :D

I used the relatively cheap Canon HV20, rented the lights and a mic, and used my homemade dolly which cost me about $300.00 to build.

I wish I KNEW friends with that kind of equipment to borrow. Maybe if I lived out in L.A. :D

Maybe someday...

:)

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-21-2008, 04:32 PM
PS- I made your quote list!

Sweeeeeet...... :D

Jack Daniel Stanley
02-21-2008, 04:33 PM
rubber fist - $35
fedora - $50
trunk - $20
food - $150
gels and diffusion $70
misc $20

total $1,000

I am sure I am forgetting something.
Yeah but is it really fair to count stuff you'll keep for your own personal use after filmming any way. :)

... As for the budget of my short. $75K. :shocked:

Wild Imagination Films
02-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Too much?
A couple hundred.

Couple hundred on food.
Couple hundred on material for set.
Couple hundred on machines to make snow and haze.

HBlack
02-21-2008, 06:26 PM
About $20 worth of melons.

HDkilledFILM.
02-21-2008, 06:30 PM
... As for the budget of my short. $75K. :shocked:

Dude! I can't wait!

smashedburrito
02-21-2008, 07:26 PM
$30 on decorations. Rope light, crepe paper, balloons, Happy New Years stuff. (on sale we bought the day after new years)
$90 on pizza (little ceasars $5) and beer.

Total $120.

Ted Arabian
02-21-2008, 07:33 PM
About $20 worth of melons.

LOL! :grin: Too funny...

(what? did they throw the banana in for free???)

HBlack
02-21-2008, 07:49 PM
lol, I remember how we got the banana too.

Me: Shit guys... I don't think we have a banana. Shotty not getting banana.
Jacob: Shotty not getting banana.
Evan: ...F*ck

Gohanto
02-21-2008, 08:14 PM
$20 at Goodwill on 1/2 off day bought my homeless people wardrobe. Then we took a knife, food, and make-up to wear it down.
$20 Nice shirt.
$20 stage make-up.
$30 Food.

So about $90 total. Not bad I'd say. Locations all free and equipment all owned and/or built.

Ted Arabian
02-21-2008, 08:37 PM
rubber fist - $35
fedora - $50
trunk - $20
food - $150
gels and diffusion $70
misc $20

total $1,000

Making a dvxuser.com Lovefest entry starring a man in a leather mask.... PRICELESS! :grin:

Shawn Philip Nelson
02-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Wow, I am suprised that no one spent over $1000

Jason Ramsey
02-21-2008, 10:30 PM
bought some pajamas for my actor at walmart. About 20 bucks I guess.

Later,
Jason

sean90291
02-21-2008, 10:37 PM
There are a few things that men are never honest about:

How many women (or men) they've slept with.

How much money they make.

And how much they REALLY spent on their short films. Cuz there are always things we conveniently forget to add into the budget. And when we "only spent $30" then y'all might not be so hard on the shortcomings in our films! ;-)

So short answer...take whatever number any guys says and double it...and that's the real number of guys he's slept with...er I mean, the real number for what his budget is.

Shawn Philip Nelson
02-21-2008, 10:39 PM
bought some pajamas for my actor at walmart. About 20 bucks I guess.

Later,
Jason

Did you feed anyone?

Jason Ramsey
02-21-2008, 10:44 PM
We had Ramen and coffee. My two actors are my best friends and theatre buddies and it was just the three of us, so we shared some Ramen with eggs, and made a day of it :)

Later,
Jason

bosindy
02-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Yeah but is it really fair to count stuff you'll keep for your own personal use after filmming any way :

I have bronzed the fist and am using it as a back scratcher.

wartez
02-21-2008, 11:25 PM
I'd bet somewhere between $80-$100 for winter lilacs.

bosindy
02-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Making a dvxuser.com Lovefest entry starring a man in a leather mask.... PRICELESS! :grin:

abso fuc@ing lutly

Zim
02-22-2008, 12:30 AM
A tape.
One red Bull
About $15 for gasoline.

Jack Daniel Stanley
02-22-2008, 12:39 AM
What's "tape"? :)

jmc
02-22-2008, 01:00 AM
What's "tape"? :)
He must have been working on a period piece. :D

MattinSTL
02-22-2008, 06:23 AM
I'm reading this thread in disgust... I hope my fellow DVXuser member who lives in STL is reading this... he knew I was broke when he came out to help me and when I went to order a couple pizzas he's like, "no man... you can't do that... you gotta' get people sandwiches or something good if they workin' for free"... then on top of it I had my supporting male actor's girlfriend show up for "production manager duties" and all she did is stop production in the morning to get Starbucks and snacks, 2 hours later to get lunch, which she tried to get $9/head lunch... and then in the afternoon for another Starbucks run!

At lunch the production manager is walking around with a menu of $10+ lunches and people were getting excited about lunch... and thank God the owner of the flower shop stepped in to help me not look like a jerk... stating that we didn't have time to order from that place... sheesh. I can't believe my favorite entries were all so cheap to create.

So my LoveFest entry cost me $150 to feed 7 people! Then another $100 or so in props and GoodWill wardrobe... and it was such a piece of sh*t that there's no way I was submitting it.

Damn... now I'm mad again.

At least there were some really kick-ass entries that have changed my perception of who I'll even bother with in STL. My new motto is "Bring IT... or stay home!"

Mark Harris
02-22-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm reading this thread in disgust... I hope my fellow DVXuser member who lives in STL is reading this... he knew I was broke when he came out to help me and when I went to order a couple pizzas he's like, "no man... you can't do that... you gotta' get people sandwiches or something good if they workin' for free"... then on top of it I had my supporting male actor's girlfriend show up for "production manager duties" and all she did is stop production in the morning to get Starbucks and snacks, 2 hours later to get lunch, which she tried to get $9/head lunch... and then in the afternoon for another Starbucks run!

So my LoveFest entry cost me $150 to feed 7 people! Then another $100 or so in props and GoodWill wardrobe... and it was such a piece of sh*t that there's no way I was submitting it.

Damn... now I'm mad again.

At least there were some really kick-ass entries that have changed my perception of who I'll even bother with in STL. My new motto is "Bring IT... or stay home!"

Well it's true you have to have people on board who know what's what. Like I was lucky to have Timur and Jack crew because they understand what it means to make a movie for $200 and have been through the same thing. Same with the cast. I worked with people I knew, who would understand that they are not there to eat, they are there to act.

On this one I was sooooo broke, I just could not spend money on ANYTHING.

And to the guy up there who said we are fudging the numbers...no, it was literally $200. And that includes gas to get to the location a few times, which is out on LI.

Even though I am loathe to be one of those guys who quotes Robert Rodriguez, I did remember one thing he said, which I kept in my head on this shoot: "You have to just absolutely refuse to spend money."

Luis Caffesse
02-22-2008, 06:40 AM
I haven't tallied it all up yet, but I know we spent over $500 on ours, not counting expenses for things that we are somewhat reusable (gaff tape, diffusion, some gels, etc).

Mainly it was spent on food - which included not only the shooting days themselves, but also two rehearsal days as well as taking our two leads out to dinner (and our initial meetings with each of them). So, nothing extravagant, but those little expenses add up quickly.

We also had to pay for one of our locations in order to be able to use it after hours (because someone had to be there while we were shooting).

Charlie Anderson
02-22-2008, 06:40 AM
Honestly I hate ordering pizza for production. If you get the subway platters it's more cost effective and you can feed a lot more people (plus it looks better to have a tray of food rather than a box of pizza) for $25 of subs as opposed to $25 of pizza.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-22-2008, 06:41 AM
Honest numbers here as well. I fed people... but that was it.
That and the gear rental that I already mentioned.

Honestly, I could remove that from the total since the XLR adapter problems that I discussed in another thread got me a credit for the Mic rental. :D

My actors knew going in that this was a poor man's production. I offer them a copy on DVD after the fest is over and the promise that it may find its way into other festivals.

Most of them are happy to get the exposure.

Cheers,

Mike

Mark Harris
02-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Honest numbers here as well. I fed people... but that was it.
That and the gear rental that I already mentioned.

Honestly, I could remove that from the total since the XLR adapter problems that I discussed in another thread got me a credit for the Mic rental. :D

My actors knew going in that this was a poor man's production. I offer them a copy on DVD after the fest is over and the promise that it may find its way into other festivals.

Most of them are happy to get the exposure.

Cheers,

Mike

That's the other thing with the actors. Working with those I know, I am confident I will get good work, but they are also confident that I will make them look relatively decent. So they are happy to put in the time because they trust it will look good on their reels.

Dustin R. Rogan
02-22-2008, 06:48 AM
You should always give your crew and cast a little something.
Doesn't cost much for a case of water and some chips. :)

If you feed them even more you'll find that they'll be much more eager to show up to any future projects. When I bought everyone pizza the shock on their faces was more than worth it.

:beer:

this is too true. I took everyone to Chili's on the first night, and everyone was thinking they're paying their own way. Then I picked up the check at the end and that surprised everyone lol but worth it I think only 100 bucks for 8 people, its only money right lol

Mark Johnson
02-22-2008, 07:58 AM
On these projects with people being asked to put in so much time, effort and inconvenience for no pay, the least you can do is feed them well. As mentioned, that factor alone may determine whether your crew will be willing to work for you again when you call or whether they find an excuse to do something else.

However, the cost of feeding well can really break you and its something that we've really looked at hard because its such a big part of our budgets on our shoots. We are fortunate to have a trained chef (Bullis) who can build a huge pot of pasta cheaply from fresh ingredients. On WTHL our crew was so small that we couldn't afford to have Bullis tied up in the kitchen. Thus, we picked up several family-style dishes from The Olive Garden.

Some time ago Tim called every catering service we could find to get quotes for feeding a crew and it was truly discouraging how much those bids were. Somebody came up with the number for The Olive Garden and we were astonished that we could provide really good food (with salads and breadsticks to boot) for less than $8 a plate. In fact, every time we've used them we've had food left over.

Mark Harris
02-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Yeah Mark, we were lucky too that on the biggest shoot date, one of my actors made a huge tray of ziti and one of sausage and peppers. I had arranged for that for the same reason. He would make better food than we might get elsewhere, for the cost of the ingredients. Then he paid for those himself.

But we also do a lot of trade in labor. Like I am going to help Jack on something he has to do coming up, in exchange for working on this for me.

Dustin R. Rogan
02-22-2008, 08:05 AM
all this talk about food is making me hungry :grin:

Rodney V. Smith
02-22-2008, 08:07 AM
First thing the UPM I trainer under told me: Feed the cast and crew and they'll go the extra mile.

That has always been so true even on the smaller shoots, but gotta be careful with those expenses, cuz they begin to add up. i've actually found it more expensive to feed 2 crew members than to feed 10 of them, mainly becasue of the mindset that: "hey, there's only two of them, you can spend alittle more, right?" $50 later...

Mark: That is a tip that every independent filmmaker shoudl take to heart. With food costing so little at Olive Garden, it's certainly a better choice than some I myself have made in the past, ranging from the $1 menu at McDonalds, $5 pizzas from little Caesars, and actually cooking for the cast and crew (Costco is a great help there). Without a cook on set to take care of the kitchen, its a little tricky, so somethign like Olive Garden is definitely now on my radar. Thanks for the tip!

Noel Evans
02-22-2008, 08:25 AM
$1,000,000. See I was going to enter, and my research led me to this girl. She kept saying she loved me and all she needed for us to be together forever was some money to set her family up. Anyway, although its been 3 months since I heard from her, Im sure she will coming over any day now.

SEE MY SIGNATURE? VOTE AND GET IT! COURTESY JDS

Rodney V. Smith
02-22-2008, 09:57 AM
oh yeah, and totally honest numbers here. I think we actually are th eopposite of hollywood and we take pride in how little we spent to achieve a certain level of production quality. besides it teaches us what we need to spend more on the next time around....

wcs
02-22-2008, 11:41 AM
$230

Actors: $140 (10hr shoot)
Food: $50 (sushi + snacks for 1 day/3 people)
Lighting: $40 (1 week rental)

maestro1d
03-11-2008, 02:30 AM
try cup-o-noodles. you can feed 40 people for $5 :thumbsup:
Cup o' Noodles? More like cup o' you'll never see those folks for a shoot again... :grin: