PDA

View Full Version : "Tailight" a film by Bryce Adolphson (non-compete)

Bryce A
02-15-2008, 03:40 PM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/34005/1203118565.jpg (http://www.dvxfest.com/lovefest/loader.php?id=90054)

Bryce A
02-15-2008, 04:24 PM
So this little film is finally here! It's a non-compete, so the feedback is the prize! Thanks for visiting!

You can download it from here (http://www.dvxfest.com/lovefest/loader.php?id=90054) or the lovefest download page.

Danielleus
02-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Oh, yeah, love this poster. The tagline is awesome as well.

Oh, and the film is oh so good. Awesomeness. Congrats on getting it done, even if its non-comp.

jojopop
02-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Wow, you got it up! Cool! Congrats!

Zak Forsman
02-15-2008, 05:12 PM
what's the connection here... between you three (jojopop, daniellus, and bryce a)?

jojopop
02-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Bryce was my cinematographer and he also helped me develop the story for Moments. We all worked together on these films in some way, shape, or form -- usually we all focus together on one piece, but for LoveFest we each decided to do our own. We figured, the more films the better!

Hope that clears things up? :laugh:

jmc
02-15-2008, 07:34 PM
I liked this one. It was very interesting and (to me) presented a new point of view. The super pixelated footage threw me at first, but on second viewing it was clear why you did it.

My only critique is that the main character, Erin, isn't presented earlier in the footage, at least in the background. As though his lens always manages to find her, even when he's trying to shoot something else.

Great work!

Chris Messineo
02-16-2008, 09:17 AM
When this started it felt like a documentary and then the story sort of snuck up on me. I liked that.

However, about 3 minutes in the movie locks up on me. I hope you get it fixed as I would loved to see the end.

Bryce A
02-16-2008, 05:46 PM
update: I was just checking out the broken links thread. Apparently the lock up problem is just some dvx mirror site server issues. They recommend just trying again and eventually it will work.

Hey Chris, I'm glad it snuck up on you like that. It was exactly what I was goin' for. You know, I've been having that same 'lock up' problem with a few of the other films. I'm not sure exactly why, but it seems to happen somewhat at random. I downloaded a copy of tailight last night and it was fine. Then, just now, I tried again to double check and ran into the lock up. I'll let you know what I figure out. Thanks for taking a peek!

Mark Harris
02-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Hey, this was really nice. I LOVE your unique take on incorporating the theme and the prop. Maybe the best in the fest. I thought Arrick's movie did it well too. But this is like taking the theme and the prop and really making a movie about them.

Also, I love the starting out as BTS thing, and then slipping the story in on us.

I don't really have anything to critique. I thought it was really a nice piece. Well told, intimate, good use of V/O(which I'm sure the peanut gallery will chime in on at any second). Just an overall unique and elegant piece.

Good job keeping the "performances" honest too. That was key to this working and you handled it well.

Was this your intention, or did this come out of a film that did not get completed?

Blaine
02-16-2008, 07:23 PM
I agree with both Chris and Mark.

I was getting bored with the BTS in the beginning...until I began to understand what you were going for. I love the fact that cameraman only gets to watch. :thumbsup:

Bryce A
02-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Hey guys,
Ha. Yes... cameramen only get to watch. It's a sad fate. Something I learned while working in the doc field. In regards to the origination of the project. The concept of a camera op. falling for the actress was something I'd been sitting for awhile and when the love + camera came up for the fest, it was a perfect fit.

Another member of our production crew (lost productions) was filming a lovefest entry (he eventually withdrew due to the 6 min time limit). I used this and got set up as the BTS and alt camera op and shot Tailight exactly how the Camera Op. character would have. Behind-the-scenes and between-the-takes (though the actress's dialog you can hear is specific to Tailight). I jokingly call it method film making.

I’m glad the BTS seems to be working. I was definitely a gamble having it run for as long as it did before getting to the real story. But I really wanted the audience to get thrown off and establish this as something that felt (and kinda was) real. Thought it would add to the unsettling nature of the story.

Thanks for the comments! I'll get around to mine soon.

Ted Arabian
02-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Hey Bryce, I enjoyed this unique entry! Very cool to see "our side' in a film.

Very touching story here. I liked it a lot. It was a wonderful inner dialogue film.

Great images. You have some great shots here!

Was this shot during a real shoot? Everything was so real. Well done.

The one sequence I didn't care for was the pixilated close-ups on the eye. I wanted this to be clear and beautiful but I am thinking that this was intentional... as a camera op closely scrutinizing his work.

I loved how the film starts and ends with, "Are you filming me?" Nice.

And I love the line... "If it's love, shouldn't it end with us?"

Thank you for sharing this film with us.

-Ted

Brian Parker
02-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Very interesting film. I liked the unique perspective this story was told from and how it played out visually. I missed a little of the dialogue because it seemed kind of low but other than that, it was good. Nice work.

mentatDUKE
02-21-2008, 09:47 PM
This was cool. You guys seem to have an unrequited love theme going across some of your projects. Having so many people on set added a bit of production value to this. The acting seemed natural and unscripted (was it?).

What is "Second Chances"? And how can we see it? I saw you thanked their cast and crew, so it's a real project right?

Bryce, you have a cool voice-over presence.

Good job on this.

Danielleus
02-22-2008, 09:34 PM
This was cool. You guys seem to have an unrequited love theme going across some of your projects. Having so many people on set added a bit of production value to this. The acting seemed natural and unscripted (was it?).

What is "Second Chances"? And how can we see it? I saw you thanked their cast and crew, so it's a real project right?

Bryce, you have a cool voice-over presence.

Good job on this.

"Second Chances," now titled "Unwritten" was gonna be a submission for LOVEfest but got a bit more complicated then both the time limit and the dead-line allowed for. We were filming and Bryce came on to do "third" unit and make his own film around and through ours. It's being edited now. We'll post somewhere on DVXuser to get everyone's feedback.

Thanks for watching this and asking about "Unwritten," formerly "Second Chances."

Bryce A
02-22-2008, 10:30 PM
The one sequence I didn't care for was the pixilated close-ups on the eye. I wanted this to be clear and beautiful but I am thinking that this was intentional... as a camera op closely scrutinizing his work.

I loved how the film starts and ends with, "Are you filming me?" Nice.

And I love the line... "If it's love, shouldn't it end with us?"

Hey Ted,

The pixilated shot was there mainly because the camera op character wanted to get an extreme close up, but was unable to. Hence, the zooming in, pixilated or not, it was the best he could do.

Yes! The "Are you filming me?" lines came about entirely as a result of how the project was shot. I was looking for bookends to the piece, as I didn't yet have an ending VO. I remembered this shot of Paul saying the line and thought it would be perfect if I had the line at the start and the anecdote at the end.

The "shouldn't it end with us" line was actual from some journaling I'd done in my personal life.

Art and life intermingle!

Having so many people on set added a bit of production value to this. The acting seemed natural and unscripted (was it?).

Mentalduke, as you got from Danielleus the production value was mostly because this was within a real production! When I had the initial idea for Tailight I was really hoping to shoot it on an actual set. Lucky for me, Dan was shooting his Unwritten/Second Chances right when I needed it. So we shot our films simultaneously. Once Unwritten is up, it's going to be really fun to watch the two films side by side.

Thanks sooo much for the comments!

mentatDUKE
02-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Watching the two side by side should be fun. Looking forward to it. :)