PDA

View Full Version : Angel

Arctic Canvas
02-14-2008, 02:05 AM
A child at loss emotionally leans on his guardian angel until a personal friend directs the motive of his heart.
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1326/lovefestthreadimagely7.jpg

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-14-2008, 07:37 AM
SPOILERS:

This was really well crafted all around... from the lighting... to shot composition... to sound. Really well done! I really loved the story as well but I won't give too much away since I'm one of the early reviews.

Loved the ending.
Might crack my top 5 for sure.

One negative. Interlacing! Please fix that. :)

Cheers.

Final Design Studios
02-14-2008, 02:48 PM
The interlacing is actually my fault. I compressed and uploaded it for him.
Here is a link to a better version (62mb).

www.finaldesignstudios.com/chris/angelprog.mov (http://www.finaldesignstudios.com/chris/angelprog.mov)

Does anyone know which mod I need to contact in order to get a new version in their server?

-Tyler

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-14-2008, 02:57 PM
I don't know if they will allow a change at this stage. I would PM one of them.
It will definitely have to be under 50MB though.

Final Design Studios
02-14-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm rendering out a smaller one that'll come under the limit. Then I'll talk to the mods.

Arctic Canvas
02-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks for your words on my short. Nice job by the way on the dolly work in yours! I really liked the transition from young to old for example. I also liked the way you tied in your music with the story. Great job and good luck in this competition.

Kholi
02-14-2008, 06:32 PM
ANGEL - SPOLERISHNESS ON THE FROZEN HORIZON!

Hey FDS. You're a LONG time member but I don't think I've ever seen anything from ya before this. I like the style! I'm trying to call familiars, I can't think of any examples but it reminds me of someone/something.

I really liked the beginning, I really liked the last bit. The conversation with the pastor really felt like a hitch to me in the entire short. Once we hit that point it seems to lull into preaching (well, he is a pastor) to the audience. It didn't seem like it really had a place to me but I'm sure I'm the only one that thinks that.

I would've liked to see more of the humorous beginning and the same style carried out (with the VO) throughout the entire short up until the end. As it stands, it feels like two different styles and shorts combined into one piece.

I hope that makes sense.

I really liked the opening sequence a LOT! Seriously. The father's legs in the canister made me laugh. I think because it was such a tragic thing for the kid to see, and then comes the line about the Polar Bears and ice.

Good job overall!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks for your words on my short. Nice job by the way on the dolly work in yours! I really liked the transition from young to old for example. I also liked the way you tied in your music with the story. Great job and good luck in this competition.Thanks so much! I appreciate that.

:beer:

Jason Ramsey
02-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Music was great. Shot selection was tight. Really enjoyed the narration. I almost wish that the whole film was narration. The style in the first two minutes had me hooked.

After that, it changed and it almost felt like a different piece from the first two minutes.

The scene with the two guys in the room talking about love: I wonder if you might explore some other shot selection rather than the low shots. The shots on the individual actors were always below them, and I found myself kinda wanting a little more variety. This scene was probably the weakest (referencing seeming like it was part of another film).

Then, we went into the rest of the film, and the lighting and shot selection became beautiful once again.

Sound, and technically this was a pretty dang tight piece. I only take a step back from the scene I referenced above. Other than that, I really enjoyed this.

Thanks for sharing your work with us all :thumbsup:

Later,
Jason

Chris Messineo
02-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Technically, I thought it was all very good.

However, I'm afraid the voice-over didn't really work for me. I wish we had just seen the story and were allowed to draw our own conclusions from it, rather than having it told to us.

Arctic Canvas
02-14-2008, 10:57 PM
I agree, it's clunky. I would reshoot, but alas, on to other projects. Thanks for the feedback!

Ted Arabian
02-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Arctic Canvas, nice job!

I felt confused by your film. At first, I thought that this was a comedy with that opening. But then it changed into a drama. I am curious what you want your viewers to feel?

I liked a lot of your shots and there was some really nice lighting.

I didn't care for all of the titles throughout the film. Especially the one on the underside of the roof of the ext. walkway ("Fairbanks, AK"). I thought that you killed a great shot! I felt that you could have used the narrator in place of the important titles that you put up. Like in the Pastor's room.

A minor thing... the last XCU shot of the Angel's eyes are looking up or straight ahead when he seems clearly to be below her on the stairs. I would have her eyes looking down here.

An interesting story. Some pretty shots.

Congrats to you. Thanks for sharing your film.

Best, Ted

Luis Caffesse
02-15-2008, 11:39 AM
The voiceover, the music, the titles, the shots and cuts - all reminded me of Wes Anderson's work.
And I mean that in a good way. I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned that yet, actually.

I enjoyed the tone at the start of the piece, but I have to go with Ted on this one, as it went on I was confused as to what kind of film you were trying to make. I wasn't certain how to take some of the material. I love seeing stuff that attempts to combine and meld genres, as it's not an easy thing to do. So I applaud you for that. But in the end this didn't seem to combine genres as much as it seemed to switch.

I will respectfully disagree with Ted on the titles though - they worked for me and kept a bit of that opening feel that you had going in the first few minutes.
I actually dug them a lot.

The opening showed a lot of promise, but honestly for me it got dragged down a bit by the scene in the Pastor's room.

Overall - I really liked the style you had going - and I'm looking forward to seeing more from you in the future.

Brian Parker
02-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Great film. Loved the CC and cold/warm duality of the shots. I liked the narrative ans everything seemed to flow. I think I get where you were going with the scene with the pastor and I can tell you from experience, it's hard to convey a message without being heavy handed but I like where you were going with it. Nice work.

tmnt
02-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Agree with some of the others that the film didn't quiet know what it wanted to be.

Those dollies were nice and so was your shot selection. Nice work.