PDA

View Full Version : "LAST CHANCE" a J.K. Sweeney film

P!body
02-10-2008, 09:12 AM
We're back up with a better video file. Thanks Larry R for all your help!

Anyone seen the film yet, any questions, comments, thoughts, hate mail?

_____

Hey guys, head here right now I think there is something up with the file that's being hosted. If it is messing up for you, you can check out what I have on my site.

http://thepcompany.com/Videos/p!body_lastchance.mov

Thanks!

_____

Just making my last minute thread for the fest.

"Last Chance" was the kernel of something a little bigger in scope, but due to people, real life relationships, and a busy schedule card, it was pushed onto the back burner more than a few times. Finally we decided to shoot yesterday, edit last night, and upload this morning. It's a simple scene that worked under the confines of our self-imposed 24 hour timeline.

So often, it's hard enough to come out and just "do something" (especially from us procrastinators). That's why I dig DVXfest's so much. Not too much pressure, but another venue to produce for in order to get a solid review of your film for what it is from your peers... emotionally as well as technically. I'm going to enjoy hearing from you guys, and I hope you enjoy hearing from me.

So here's where it all begins. Thanks again guys.

http://www.thepcompany.com/images/p!body_lastchance.png

andreww
02-10-2008, 11:12 AM
mmmm i like this already.

Rodney V. Smith
02-10-2008, 02:55 PM
i think you deserve the award for best procrastinator. its got me really interested.

P!body
02-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks Andreww and PuckTheMad.

I think the film itself certainly suffers a bit from the lack of time. We literally shot it all within a 2-3 hour window on Saturday (as our actress had a previous engagement later that afternoon). It would have been preferable if I had the time to more fully work with the actors, but all and all they give a set of really honest and awkward performances which really works for the characters in this very simple short.

But with the minimal time, the minimal takes and handling all technical hats of the film myself- I'm really proud of what we churned out. I hope you guys enjoy it too.

Danielleus
02-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Sounds awesome. And always nice to hear someone without a full blown crew. Good luck. Can't wait.

Danielleus
02-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Here here. I agree whole-heartedly.

P!body
02-14-2008, 01:58 AM
hey dudes,

Something seems bunk about my video file, "last_chance_p!body.mov".

I've downloaded it a handful of times so far and each time the thing has the same glitches. It's really choppy and seems like there's some kind of error when watching it. The file seems to have developed an issue in between me uploading it and it being put up for download.

I'm curious who I should contact or PM. Or maybe find out if I can re-upload it. Any ideas?

I'll host a link to it on my server and post it in my thread for the time being.

http://thepcompany.com/Videos/p!body_lastchance.mov

Thanks for the help.

Ted Arabian
02-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Help! P!body, I just checked out your film and I am confused! Are the two in this film getting married to each other? I don't think they are but I was confused by the line, "We are not supposed to see each other before the wedding..."

I liked your location and the beautiful day you got to shoot. Very pretty images.

I didn't care for the handheld camera work. I found it distracting for me with this story. I suppose if something was done with it... like quick glances back and forth and some focusing shots... but for something that was pretty static, I would like to have had the camera still.

I really like moments between two people who reflect on the past and such... makes for an interesting story.

Loved the line... "that's not too creepy!"

Congrats on your film!

-Ted

Chris Messineo
02-15-2008, 08:02 PM
There are moments here that are quite lovely.

However, I wish you had found some ways to tell your story through visuals and not just rely on the dialogue between these two.

I think if you open it up a bit this could be very interesting.

Gohanto
02-15-2008, 11:22 PM
I liked all the colors here and the dialog between the two certainly holds my attention. Many moments had very authentic, naturalistic feel to them like the "star trek" line. I do wish something more had happened though.

One thing I didn't really like was the jump cutting around 3:06. Really distracted me.

Performances were pretty good, but considering you only had a few hours to do this it is actually pretty impressive.

P!body
02-16-2008, 01:54 AM
I donít want to be too self-deprecating about the film, but thatís definitely a direction I would love to expound upon. In my opinion within the circumstances that it was shot, Iím so super pleased with how it turned out. The fact that it is even the faintest bit meaningful still gets me. It was literally almost one take per shot. So again I love it for what it is.

I donít want to say that excuses any and everything, but hopefully gives some set-up to the viewing experience,

I always joke with my filmmaking friend that you know when you are out of time when you say, ďScrew it, weíre going handheld- itíll be faster!Ē I think it is, but overall was an unnecessary visual element. If the handheld were subtler it might work, but holding a DVX with and M2 on this small rod system was really awkward- and I didnít have a monitor- so I was coasting through with a flipped LCD. Ideally I would have had more than a single shot on a tripod, but Iím no expert. Despite being a general fan for anything shaky-cam, (OMG BSG) it definitely wasnít an overall dramatically motivated choice. I love to do visual storytelling, but again time necessitated to drop my previous ideas for something a bit more streamlined.

I really enjoyed letting these characters have this last moment of reflection and regret. The two individuals here are each othersí exís, but they were in a sense ďthe one(s) that got away. So to see this sad moment when they decide to assume that they have reached a point of no return- despite their unspoken/spoken feelings. I was hoping the visual cue that they werenít the ones getting married was that she wasnít wearing a wedding dress. I hoped their lines about the hypothetical marriage were clearer. But I feel itís obvious that they were so close as characters that it may be a bit confusing on whether or not they actually would be getting married. But I think the end goes back and sums it all up ok- even if that aspect of the journey is a but jarring.

Thanks for the comments. I havenít had anytime to check out many of the other films yet. Iím going to be playing catch up this weekend. Wish me luck.

Brian Parker
02-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Nice film. I think it was a cook poignant concept and that the two actors pulled it off. They felt very natural and seemed comfortable around each other, yet had that air of uneasiness that this kind of situation would bring. Very simple shoots but that's the way it should be. You did a very good job of telling a story anc conveying emotions during this small piece of the lives of these two people. Good job.

mentatDUKE
02-21-2008, 11:23 AM
This was a cool film. The writing was pretty strong. You were able to construct a believable history between the two characters. The actor's performances helped sell this fact also. Did the actors know each other? Do they date in real life? Their chemistry seemed really natural.

Funny dialog.

The camera work was ok. Maybe I need to download a more recent version of the file?

Cool film. Atypical.

tmnt
03-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Great writing and luckily, your actors pulled it off. Perphaps you could have staged it differently just to break up the scene. Maybe one characters is seated, the other comes over stands, they talk, helps the other person to their feet etc. Once again, great writing and well done.