pmark23
02-10-2008, 01:03 AM
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9025/pmark23minoguespacepostke1.jpg

pmark23
02-10-2008, 01:04 AM
Done and uploaded. It is ON!

Simon Höfer
02-10-2008, 05:33 AM
Congratulations! Looking forward to you entry :)

Mark Johnson
02-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Man, I am SO into any film that has anything to do with Kylie!!!!!!!!

dvpixl
02-10-2008, 08:34 AM
love that poster. looks intriguing. sci fi?

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Post some grabs!! :)

Mark Johnson
02-10-2008, 09:26 AM
MINOGUE SPACE GRAB EXCLUSIVE!!!!!!:

http://www.ultra-celebs.com/pictures/kylie-minogue/kylie-minogue-018.jpg

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-10-2008, 09:29 AM
^ That's what I'm talking about!

pmark23
02-10-2008, 04:13 PM
It's "A multidimensional love story".

pmark23
02-10-2008, 04:15 PM
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/491/image4wb2.jpg

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7940/image5gj4.jpg

Zak Forsman
02-10-2008, 04:17 PM

your mise-en-scene has a very markian, some might say, harrisesque quality.

pmark23
02-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Equipment:

HVX200 w. mattebox
recorded to four 16-gig P2
Vinten Pro-10 tripod

3 150W Dedolight
1 650W Dedolight
2 1K broads
1 100W practical (in above stills)

Fog machine

"Kylie" love doll (just kidding.)

Edited on Vegas with Raylight.

pmark23
02-10-2008, 04:30 PM
your mise-en-scene has a very markian, some might say, harrisesque quality.

That shot was the hardest to conceptualize, but the easiest to stage and shoot -- which was good because the fog was very smelly and irritating.

Mark Johnson
02-10-2008, 05:29 PM
It's "A multidimensional love story".

More Kylie and less multidimensional stuff please.

pmark23
02-10-2008, 08:19 PM
It's well known by physicists that the more multidimensional you get, the more Kylie you get. That's where they get the saying: "It's Kylies all the way down."

Mark Johnson
02-10-2008, 09:24 PM
It's well known by physicists that the more multidimensional you get, the more Kylie you get. That's where they get the saying: "It's Kylies all the way down."

Funniest, most clever post of the whole night!!!!!!!

Danielleus
02-10-2008, 09:32 PM
The shot's lovely. Can't wait.

pmark23
02-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Turns out that the .mp4 couldn't be read by some Quicktime versions, so I spent the last, oh, NINE HOURS trying to get a quality render using Apple's h.264.

My eyes are bleeding.

Jack Daniel Stanley
02-11-2008, 10:52 AM
So you in? The title grabs and premise have me intrigued.

pmark23
02-11-2008, 04:27 PM
I damn well better be in after all that! :beer:

DJ Lewis
02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
What's the deal with your approval status?

pmark23
02-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I was being a smart-ass about the camera requirement, and had to point it out to them -- it's already been okayed, the list just hasn't been updated yet.

I'll explain it in detail when people get a chance to see the film.

Marlon Ladd
02-12-2008, 06:20 AM
Very cool grabs.

pmark23
02-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Over the next few posts I'll go over some of the production details.

STORY:

The script was written around 2005 as an exercise. It took only a couple hours of actual writing, but many hours of thinking and dozens of pages of notes.

I wanted to accomplish two things in just a few pages: Write about a very large and encompassing subject in as few words as possible, and write a dialogue scene that let pure exposition carry the story.

The theme was about love -- love that conquered not just time but space.... and beyond! I'm a huge fan of "Space Opera" (a genre sadly overlooked by the film and print community), so wrote in that form.

The notes on backstory and how their world operates were very long and detailed, and it was a challenge to condense it into a few minutes on screen. Fortunately many of the concepts are ideal for film and a lot was told with just a shot of an object and some sound effects, or a glance from an actor.

How did Kylie Minogue get in there? It was obvious from the start that any story dealing with fractured spacetime and multidimensional beings would have to include Kylie. To not do so would have been naive.

pmark23
02-13-2008, 04:42 PM
DIET:

This is something that took me a loooong time to figure out.

I mostly do documentary and corporate shoots, most of which involve long journeys to very remote and difficult (and dangerous) environments. Shoots become very stressful, and health (particularly the stomach) can suffer. I'm sure all of you know what I mean!

I've found that in order to keep up energy levels, the best way was to follow an almost all-protein diet. During the day I eat only meat (well cooked) and/or eggs, and veggies, in several small meals. Starches and sugars are completely shunned until evening. This means no juices or colas, no rice, bread, potatoes or pastas. I eat whatever I want during the evening meal (as long as there's no shooting that night), which is when I load-up on carbs.

The human body can extract a huge amount of energy from small amounts of meat (the fattier the better! MMMMmmmm!), so you don't need a lot of food in your stomach. If you're accustomed to eating a lot, your stomach may be giving you signals that it wants to eat -- but this is easy to ignore when you're busy.

Even when I'm not running around in with camera equipment and stuck in an editing bay (like the last week), I've found this diet enables me to concentrate for very long periods of time without feeling tired and wanting to nod-off after lunch. The editing for Minoque was very intense -- 5 10-hour days.

I also try not to drink too much water, drinking only what I need (which outside in 45 degree weather is usually a lot!). Too much tends to make you "water dumb" and loose concentration easily. You can see this in the glazed, vacant expressions on the People Who Carry Water Bottles.

pmark23
02-13-2008, 05:44 PM
The Shoot:

The main part of the shoot (80% of the script) takes place in one deceptively simple scene.

After scouting several locations we found this teacher's lounge which seemingly ideal for our purposes.

Of course (as always) despite wandering around the building and asking everyone about any potential noises that could disturb shooting, we ended up with a dancercize class going on next door! I had a brief discussion with the instructor, and well, they'll never find her body.

We brought a dolly and a couple different set of tracks. I had planned several shot to be moving shots, but in editing the locked shots or simple pans were MUCH more effective.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3103/feb2008002gj2.jpg

The room had peachy-tan walls (if they were white I wouldn't have shot in there). The room was very bright during daytime. However at night when we were shooting it was very difficult to get a good light level in the room. We had two 1K broads, three 150W Dedos, and a 650W Dedo -- and unless there was a Dedo shining directly into their faces we could barely get close to even 70 IRE.

Behind the bar was a 1K broad lying on the floor, with several screens and an ND gel to cut down the glare. It was bouncing off the ceiling in the bar, and illuminating that corner. There were a couple folds of Opal on it for diffusion. You can see how bright the room is by how dim the Christmas bulbs are -- they're usually quite bright on their own.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/5808/feb2008009vt0.jpg

The other side of the room had a 1K broad pointed at the ceiling over the actors with no filtering. The 650 Dedo was put in wide position, and shone through an Opal for diffusion. I was going for a hard silver highlight on the actors face, which is why we needed so much fill.

The 150W Dedos were used as eyelights, hairlights, and accent lights. Because we only had three we had to keep relighting as we changed camera position.

In truth the lighting was an almost-disaster. We didn't have enough lights, and not enough people. I would have liked another hour to get the lighting right, but we simply didn't have time. Argh!

I put the mics on stands because there was little movement. The two actors sitting together shared an AKG C1000 hypercardioid, while the one sitting along got a Sennheiser something-or-other. The room had a terrible echo, and the Dedos buzzed like poo, but everything cleaned up well in the edit. I could have made sound a bit better, but didn't have the time (but in general it's quite good.) No ADR was necessary.

The actors memorized their lines a few minutes before saying them. They had freedom to change the lines as needed to make them easier to say. I told them to be aware of the way they deliver a line, and body position, because there was nobody to keep an eye on that (except for me, and I was busy with many other things and likely to forget). All in all they were great and editing was a breeze because of that.

The actors were from a local theatre troupe. It was very hard to get them to not overact their parts (even though this was a scene that needed over-the-top acting). I wanted subtle eye and body movements to tell the story -- and it did. I was able to cut out several lines from the script because they acted the line instead.

I don't have any set stills of this setup, but it was quite simple.

The desk lamp had a 100W (or 150W?) Par spot bulb with a piece of opal wrapped around it. That was it!

A fog machine was off-camera to the right, spitting and hissing poisonous smoke into the face of the actor (non-union). An accomplice held the remote for the fog machine.

The room was a former dance-hall they were in the process of tearing down. The table was in a far corner, and camera was pointing down the empty hall. All lights were off, except for the practical. I gave the actor a black hoodie to wear. The table cloth should have been black as well, but my wife made a dress out my blackout cloth (wtf?), and I could only find dark purple -- which ended up looking awesome.

The ending scenes were shot in the hallways of a local university, while classes were in session so there would be nobody in the hallways (except for freakin' guards and their freakin' jangling keychains!) This part of the shoot also went well, except for the lack of power. We were only able to use fluorescents, and couldn't really get a high enough light level. However it looks dreary enough for its purposes so in the end came out well.

HBlack
02-13-2008, 07:32 PM
I like the aesthetics of it. The smoke struck me as being too heavy, but the introductory shots stayed interesting despite being relatively long, which says something about their quality. The dialogue really lost me when they started talking about the space stuff initially, and it took a bit for me to lose that sense of confusion. Ending left a bit to be desired, in that it didn't tie things up enough for my tastes. Acting was good throughout, except for the "where is her mind" girl near the end. The man and woman with the funky shirts fit their roles nicely.

pmark23
02-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Cool. Thanks. I had the actors bring a bunch of shirts so I could pick and choose. I picked the funkiest ones for the interdimensional beings, and a plain boring drab looking one for the earthling.

Kholi
02-14-2008, 12:55 AM
MINOGUE SPACE -- Big ol' Story in a lil tiny space

That's hard to do. REALLY hard to do. I had a glance at your production notes VERY briefly before I posted this and you pretty much told me why I was confused. It's a great experiment, to write about something so massive in so few pages, but with the little information alloted it's nearly impossible to really understand and it might leave some in a place where they don't want to understand. Most of the time we, as filmmakers, only get one chance and we have to make the best of it on all fronts.

Sound's a strong point for sure! I'm in headphones (as always with these fests) and I think the sound levels were fine. The dialog at the beginning was really hard to understand. I know that it's supposed to be recorded, however, the distortion might be a lil thick.

It's so contained and most of the shots are so tight that you don't notice the walls, that was a good choice. I think the excessive white/peach colored walls are DANGEROUS.

It's lit, I can see a lot of detail. What happens if you take one of the several different plot devices in the short and turn it into one all its own? Does it work? Just a question to get the mind stirrin'. Something to use for the next short is what I'm gettin' at.

Thanks for puttin up!

pmark23
02-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the 'view.

The story is based on two separate feature-film ideas -- one a modern-day "space opera" to out-do all space-operas (the few that there are). The other a quiet and moody Kaufmanesque story about a guy who could take over people's minds but is too timid to do anything purposeful with his powers. I mashed the two together into 7 pages.

Arrik
02-15-2008, 08:27 AM
This was my PM to pmark23. I have to watch the film again to validate my thoughts on it, but I laughed a few times during this thing. It so weird, its great. I love your main actors. I think your title is amazing. I love how my writer looked at me when i told him to watch "minogue space." He didnt dig it as much as I did. He didnt take very well to the confusion, but I think that the confusion adds to the hilarity. I guess the problem with this kinda a flick (for festival purposes) is its so left field that it isnt a safe play. That said, I'm glad you entered.

Hey there,

I wanted to post my thoughts, but I wanted to clarify something first. I loved your film. At first I was like WTF, but then I went with the flow. I thought it was HILARIOUS. But, based on anothers serious review, I was wondering, was it not intended to be funny? It seemed as if you were trying to go with left field, kinda spoofy, overly serious about something comical kinda humor. If this was a serious flick and im totally off-base, Im sorry. I have been drinking a little.

Let me know whats your stance, so I know whether my post will be accurate to your intention.

Ted Arabian
02-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Hey pmark, Congrats on your film!

I must say that I was confused through most of it... but it tied together nicely at the end.

A very interesting and unique film, to say the least. You have a very creative mind for sure. I would like to see you put some of that creativity in the shots. Not that there is anything wrong with what you did... but for such an interesting piece, I wanted interesting footage. Just my opinion.

I don't know what the future holds for our clothing... but I hope that I never own a shirt like that guys! :grin:

Well done!

Best,
Ted

Mark Johnson
02-15-2008, 09:14 AM
This is what makes these fests so vibrant and valuable. Man, when people stretch and experiment it just totally motivates me. I remember awhile back when the infamous MovieMaster appeared on the scene. Nobody was ever sure whether he was a tongue-in-cheek creation or the real deal. Suffice it to say that most of us who saw it will not forget his "flying tupperware" scene. In the end, no matter what you thought of his film or even him, you had to appreciate him.

So, here this little piece of space-time shows up and completely puzzled me but made me really glad you entered. I'd love to see you devote some serious time to preproduction and let some of this creativity flow in a bit more channeled and directed approach. Good job, man.

Cliff Wildman
02-15-2008, 09:57 AM
if you're goal was to make me feel like someone zonked me on the head and it transported me back to the acid days of the 60's... you succeeded :)

surreal, bizarre, risky and creative. keep that up and keep honing the skills!

had to come back and add --- have you ever seen the jimi hendrix movie, "under the rainbow bridge"?

I don't know why but this keeps coming back up in my mind as far as the feel here. if you haven't seen it, check it out!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Crazy!
This was actually really cool! Trippy... but cool.
Very interesting style. In a couple of shots it looked like somebody stepped in front of a light or something, not quite sure.

This was good though. I loved the payoff!
Nice work!

Cheers,

Mike

pmark23
02-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks everyone.

Hopefully the confusion is Lynchian! If your reaction is a laugh and a "WTF?", then I consider that a success. :)

They key shot is when it appears to cross the line for the guy's monologue (when the music starts). The shot actually pivots on the younger girl, so isn't technically crossing the line, but you're following the guy so it isn't obvious. It's meant to show induce the same confusion the girl is facing. I put a light on her face so she's lit a bit brighter than the others. There was another shot pivoting back to her, but I cut it in order to get some time. It was tricky to plan and I'm still not sure it worked as intended.

There are a couple points that could have used tracking shots -- should have used them. I also wish we could have spent more time on lighting.

Chris Messineo
02-15-2008, 08:36 PM
"Will it hurt?" "Very much."

This definitely felt very Lynchian - well done.

The young actress has a wonderful face.

This whole piece felt very surreal and while I doubt I understood it all, I really enjoyed it.

Gohanto
02-15-2008, 08:47 PM
If your reaction is a laugh and a "WTF?", then I consider that a success.

If that's your goal, then it did certainly work perfectly for me. I liked the music and the story was one of the more unique ones I've seen. Acting was a little bit stiff, but the dialog was kinda unnatural by its nature which I'm sure made it difficult. It wasn't overly distracting though.

The opening shots were very interesting and nicely done. And the costume design was very interesting.

jmc
02-15-2008, 09:33 PM
This is so close to brilliance, I had to come comment as soon as I finished watching. I love space opera, and I really like when the story leaves you a bit confused about what their talking about, since you really would be confused if dropped into another dimension.

That said, however, I think that the beginning is too confusing and could have been streamlined to serve the same function with less confusion. There are little things here and there that bring the quality down a little, but when the music starts and he talks about the places he's been...that was amazing. Great musical choice. And the ending is just great!

Blaine
02-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Well, this was definitely out there. I am really not sure if I liked it or not. Probably going to have to view it again to find that out.

I'm not a fan of Lynch and this does have a Lynchian feel...good for you, bad for me. You obviously got what you were going for, so I give you kudos for that.

kurtmo
02-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Nice shirts.

Zak Forsman
02-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Nice shirts.

haha! best. review. ever.

pmark23
02-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks again everyone for your comments.

The re-edited version is much clearer with just a minute added. It'll be on Youtube shortly.

Jorg and his gang (http://sonicunion.com/index.php?id=12) did a great job on the soundtrack and ambience.

And yeah, the shirts made it. :)

Mark Harris
02-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Okay, I have been holding back on this one, and finally, I give up. I don't know if it's genius or idiotic. Some aspects of it I took as mistakes, like the performances, but on second viewing I could not tell if what I thought were mistakes were actually on purpose.

I LOVE the idea of trying to encompass huge stories in small spaces. To me, it's one of the biggest writing challenges, but if you get it, it is wonderful. Because it means you can depend on your IDEAS to sell it.

And again, I cannot really tell if i think your writing worked, or did not work. I watch it once and say: "no way." Then I watch it again and say: "way."

So congrats on a short that made me keep coming back to try to work it out. I think this one and Michael Horrigan's are the two best for thought-provoking-ness, not only in the content, but in the storytelling. I watched both over and over and waited to post until I thought I had something intelligent to say.

Clearly in this case, I did not wait long enough. But thanks so much for putting it in. I will likely watch it several more times over the next week.

pmark23
02-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the great review. You know those films that you watch and don't really understand until you sit down with your friends afterwards and start discussing it? There (hopefully) should be enough glimpses of the story to piece together the overall story and have it make sense. As mentioned before, I have pages and pages of back story, but whether it worked or not is up to the audience so I love getting feedback from people who get it. And if you don't get it I need to hear that too so I can do better next time.

Early Cronenberg, Dario Argento, and Lynch are great at doing this and were influences for this film.

Herman Witkam
02-18-2008, 05:49 AM
Cool sound design. Reminded me of the three mentioned above, and Tsukamoto.

I really liked the tape machine sequence, but the narrative in the next scene seemed too fragmented and far-fetched. If in the Lynchian universe, seeing a film is more about the experience than the narrative, then I think the film succeeded.

Brian Parker
02-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Wow, trippy. Very interesting. The whole thing painted a very abstract picture where we're put in a place that our mind has to fill in the blanks. In trying to picture where they came from I find myself thinking of some strange society. It also prefaces an imensely larger piece or concept.

I'm rambling now but I love things that force the viewer to think or be creative themselves as well. Nice short.

pmark23
02-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks. When writing I had in mind the Zen concept of whitespace, where you leave lots of empty space for the mind to fill.

RyanT
02-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Where do you find shirts like that?

I really don't know what to make of this, but I'm leaning towards the awesome side. I really seemed to like it...and I can't exactly tell you why.

Some shots were soft and had a bit too much headroom on others, but then again...whatever. You had something really cool going on there and you rocked it pretty hard. I was just hoping you'd end it with "where is my mind" by the pixies. Then again, you can't have it all.

Really cool film man, I enjoyed it a lot. You are one strange guy.

mentatDUKE
02-21-2008, 01:08 AM
This was a pretty creative short. Not your typical plot or storyline, but the dialogue was clever and the acting was good. The film was essentially a conversation, but you were able to keep it interesting by giving the characters something cool to talk about.

I like the ending. She was catatonic, but the audience actually may not feel sorry for her. Heck they may even be happy for her. She got to go to Minogue Space. Lucky!

Good job on this. Definitely memorable.

pmark23
02-21-2008, 01:35 AM
The "real" version ends with "Can't Get You Outa My Head" by Kylie Minogue fading up from the background as the camera tracks in. I couldn't afford the billion-or-so dollars to license the track, so you'll have to go to YouTube to see the "proper" version (in a day or so). :-)

Jack Daniel Stanley
02-22-2008, 12:16 PM
This some really innovative and original work. Nice to see someone with a clear and unique voice in their writing.

Here's some thoughts as I watch it a second time through:

Interesting scoring.

Love love love the dissolve from space to the overhead lamp. One of the things that’s so cool about it is that it looks like a rocket thruster for a moment before it becomes clear what exactly we are looking at.

The premise is of course very original and out there which I like. I felt at times in the scene the drama was forced “goddamnit I did it all for you” and at other times underplayed “we’ve been looking for you for centuries” … did she just realize at that moment who he was? She seemed pretty nonplussed.

The cut out of the music s pretty nice with the girl’s what the hell are you talking about.

The girl is pretty good actually. On the whole the mom is as well, though as I mentioned the looking for you for centuries bit was off the mark … though I think this may have been hindered more by the staging shot / shot choices than the acting. The dad however, was not very believable and seemed forced throughout to me.

I love the concept of the title and the writing around its explanation. This is really out of the box creative writing and it’s smart, fun and refreshing.

The ending was weakened a bit for me by the acting of the Asian doctor. Just did not seem believable to me.

I wish some of the shot choices and staging were more representative of the scale or stakes of the story … as the opening and the second shot with the smoke and the tape were … rather than played out completely as a domestic drama. That’s part of it sure, and that’s an interesting juxtaposition you were exploring. But having huge revelations play out without a blocking change can be tough.

So I think you have a very interesting short and some really original writing here. Very inventive and enjoyable. I hope to see more of your work in the future. If you have some other work online, please direct me to it.

:beer:

hoz
02-24-2008, 10:02 AM
whoa what a story.

really liked the originality. too cool for going where you did, and you are too brave to even suggest that there might be a place filled with kylie minogue music. that idea is even crazier than the man's shirt. you filled your story with a ton of stuff.

like other posters, i am not sure if it was somewhat bad acting or if the acting was performed like that on purpose. i got no clue, the couple could act any which way and really, it could pass. still, i think the man was too stiff. the woman was good. the younger woman was okay too until she asked about what it might be like, i think i would've liked to see her not believe them so quickly. she was kind of like our stand in to this whole thing. give her a little more fight. the ending was cool though.

other than that i didnt like the tape scene too much, if you were going to show something outside of the couple's dialogue i would've liked to see the couple somewhere acting out something odd. that should'nt be too hard to do. seeing them buying groceries would be a scene i'd love to see.

cool stuff. thanks!

pmark23
02-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks! The actors were all theatre actors from the local community theatre. None had done a film before.

Marlon Ladd
02-24-2008, 06:29 PM
I really liked the story and how it came together at the end. Very creative. The only problem I saw was that the acting was really good for the young girl and the woman too, but the male actor didn't seem to really get into the flow until the end. He didn't seem very believable at the beginning. Other than that, like I said, he seemed to get into it better towards the end and was able to pull it home. What an engaging shot of the girl at the end. Good job.

pmark23
02-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. This was an awesome fest!