I almost have my short finished.

Title: Eggagement
Starring: Dave Keslick and Meg Peck
Written, Directed, Edited by: Andy Olson
DP: Everett Aponte
Sound/AD: Charles Sweatt
Music: Robert Sudall

http://cromagnumfilms.com/images/eggposter%20copy.jpg
Hopefully, I'll get a poster up soon and maybe some frame grabs.

Good Luck to everyone! This is going to be a pretty good fest from the look of it.

Best Regards,
Andoguru

Zak Forsman
02-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Eggagement? Is that some kind of yolk?

Zak Forsman
02-08-2008, 02:23 PM
I'll be here all week, folks. Try the veal.

andoguru
02-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks, Zaks. That's a good one.

Jason Ramsey
02-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Welcome to the fest, man. I enjoyed your Hallows entry quite a bit, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Best of luck to you.

Later,
Jason

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Great!
Glad you could make it.

Cheers,

andoguru
02-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks a lot, Jason. I'm happy to see you've got yours uploaded and ready. Congrats. I'm glad you liked "Meat" and thanks again for all you're doing for this site. It's amazing how effective these dvxfests are at motivating filmmakers to get going and do something...I know it's worked for me.

Thanks Michael. HV20's unite! Looking forward to some nice camera shots and impressive dolly shots from you.

Laters,
Andoguru

andoguru
02-13-2008, 06:28 PM
I put up a poster...I guess I'm a little late.

I didn't know we were going to get to watch all the Lovefest films tonight, but I'm not complaining!

Happy viewing everyone.

Hans Moleman
02-14-2008, 12:02 PM
I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. wow.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-14-2008, 12:09 PM
I enjoyed this one as well. Love the poster BTW!

Pretty well acted, well scripted, and decently shot.
Loved the ending as well.

Cheers!

Mike

andoguru
02-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks, Hans. I'm glad you liked it.

andoguru
02-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for watching my film, Kyser.

The ending was somewhat scripted but also a stroke of good and bad luck. Those cops are real cops and there were about 8 more outside as well surrounding the house. We had shot one of the scenes with the ski mask and a neighbor saw the ski mask but not the camera and called the cops on us. They came into the house guns drawn. Luckily noone go hurt and my DP was smart enough to turn on the camera with his nose since we were all handcuffed so we have footage.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks for watching my film, Kyser.

The ending was somewhat scripted but also a stroke of good and bad luck. Those cops are real cops and there were about 8 more outside as well surrounding the house. We had shot one of the scenes with the ski mask and a neighbor saw the ski mask but not the camera and called the cops on us. They came into the house guns drawn. Luckily noone go hurt and my DP was smart enough to turn on the camera with his nose since we were all handcuffed so we have footage.LOL! Seriously? I'll have to go watch that part again. :D

Jason Ramsey
02-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Hey, man. You're making a name for yourself with these quirky, kinda off the wall stories.

Thanks for putting this in the fest.

You do a good job of finding solid actors. In "Meat", I thought you had the strongest acting in HallowsFest. this fest, you had some strong performances as well.

It's a very nice, unique piece and it has it's own little feel going on with it.

Don't have too much more to say. I enjoyed this piece for what it was.

I thought he was going to kill himself with that grappling hook, especially on the first throw... geez! :)

I really liked the shots at 3:40'ish with him punching the buttons on the calculator.

The male in this gave a very strong performance.

I'm enjoying your work, man. Keep it coming.

Thanks for sharing.

later,
Jason

andoguru
02-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Yeah, the cops told us that if we had been shooting a scene with a gun...they might have shot us.

It was pretty crazy but ended up being kinda of funny in the end. The neighbor had called 911 and said "There's a man in a ski mask with a grappling hook going into my neighbor's house." I guess this gave the police a reason to enter unannounced with all their guns out.

bosindy
02-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah, the cops told us that if we had been shooting a scene with a gun...they might have shot us.

It was pretty crazy but ended up being kinda of funny in the end. The neighbor had called 911 and said "There's a man in a ski mask with a grappling hook going into my neighbor's house." I guess this gave the police a reason to enter unannounced with all their guns out.

So thats how you get your extras. With uni's as well. Had some laughs in this one, good job

andoguru
02-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks Bosindy. Yeah, if you need cops for free just pretend to do something suspicious and then light the front doorway and point the camera and wait.
If would have been great if we had gotten some footage of the gun play.

Thanks for watching my film, Jason. Yes, the actors did very well and with only a day of rehearsal though that was more of my own fault. I'm glad you liked the grappling hook stuff...it always makes me laugh when watching it. Your comments mean a lot and really appreciate it what you've said.

Thanks guys.

Chris Messineo
02-14-2008, 08:11 PM
This was a lot of fun.

It had two great scenes: the montage after he hears about the $10,000 and the grappling hook fiasco.

Also, the music captured the tone perfectly.

MDCFILMS
02-14-2008, 09:18 PM
That kiss in the middle was the greatest. The best thing EVER! The story was eh. BUT THAT KISS DESTROYED!

andoguru
02-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks for watching, Chris. My composer did really well and this was the first time he'd ever composed for a short film as well as my first time having a composer so it was a good experience and yielded a pretty good sound track as well.

I do like that kiss as well. It's pretty crazy and really sets up the next scene right after because it lends to the whole outrageousness of it. Thanks for watching, Mdc.

Noel Evans
02-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Isnt it amazing the varying views that you get. I thought your actors were so so. I thought it was very funny. You really didnt have to add those last frames with subs though. Framing needs a touch of work.

kurtmo
02-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Fun film! I liked the dialog and the phraseology. This was just plane fun. Nice camera work. Cool use of zooms. And I thought the camera work was well balanced between zooms, pans and static shots as well as closeups, mids and framing shots! Kissing through the ski mask? “I’m going for a walk.” And where did you get your folding ninja grappling hook? Gotta get me one of those! Nice comedy!

Ted Arabian
02-15-2008, 10:05 AM
HAHAHA!!!! What a fun film!

Good for you for having so much fun with this. I really enjoyed it.

You were very true to your film. Everything worked. Especially the Egg Drop Soup! LMAO!

Great work with the adding machine text. Really enjoyed that.

I enjoyed it all. The performances were perfect.

You really did a great job with this!

Congrats!!!

-Ted

andoguru
02-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Thanks for watching, Ted. It always feels good when someone enjoys my film. I'm glad you liked it.

Thanks Kurtmo. I thought that some of the words I made up might just come across as mistakes like the title, but I glad it worked for you. My actor actually is the one that had the grappling hook and I just had to put it in the film. Another funny thing about the grappling hook is that on the box it says "Do not use without professional training from an expert!" Grappling hook expert...is there such a thing.

Hey Noel Evans. Thanks for watching. My actors did a pretty good job with what I gave them and with the one day of rehearsal, but that comes down to my fault. I do agree though that audiences have a wide array of different points of view, but that is one of the little charming things about film is that everyone can see things differently be it good or bad or sad or happy if you know what I mean.

Thanks again.

Kholi
02-16-2008, 11:28 AM
EGGAGEMENT - Eggciting short with a great message!

It's crazy the things that other writers will write about or tackle. I, personally, would have never thought to write on such a personal subject just because I've never dealt with the material in real life before. I think it's pretty dang great! And, I love the message at the end.

I really don't have a lot to say about this on the opposite side of great. I think the pacing went on and off but it wasn't distracting enough to call it an "issue" or anything like that.

Thought the acting fit the overall piece, nothing too over the top that wasn't within context.

Perhaps just a few lingering moments which all have to do with editing. For instance, in the beginning during the adding bills sequence there's a linger moment where he's fidgeting with the tape spew. I know he's supposed to be frustrated, just felt like it was a long moment.

Other than that, I think this one was really great.

Be careful when using real props, though! At any given moment your actor could've been seriously hurt! If there's no one around, devise a way to keep him out of harms way and still achieve your funny moment. I'd hate to hear a tragic story of a guy that got brained by a grappling hook. =P

andoguru
02-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks, Kholi for watching. I glad you enjoyed it. I remember the grappling hook scene feeling dangerous...but the actor felt pretty safe and said he wasn't really coming close to himself. For some reason looking through the camera the high shutter speed made it appear more dangerous because when I watch without the camera it the hook was pretty far away from him. Movie Magic I guess.

Thanks again.

Mark Harris
02-16-2008, 09:33 PM
this was a ton of fun. I thought the actors and script made it really cook. The tone was loose and lighthearted throughout and the pace was spot-on I thought. I forgot about all technical stuff and just watched.

Maximus
02-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Good job! Light hearted fun, unique premise, great twist at the end.

Blaine
02-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Well, you definitely see the world in a different way...:grin:

I love the humor you bring to the fest. I loved your use of stills in this. The choices were spot on. Personally, I liked the cards at the end as they added to the humor. I never felt like you were putting a ribbon on it, just going for a couple more laughs.

Good job. You have definitely raised my expectations for your work in future fests. :happy:

Brian Parker
02-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Good film. Nice script with interesting subject, good actors and good delivery. I agree with Blaine in that the stills were pretty great. Good job!

andoguru
02-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks Mark. I'm glad you were into the story.

Thanks for watching Maximus.

Thanks Blaine. I appreciate your comments. The different weird stories are usually the one's that interest me so I try to stick to what I like.

Thanks Champloo. Its a pleasure to have someone enjoy my work.

smashedburrito
02-19-2008, 06:17 AM
Yes!! I was hoping you would enter love fest.

I really dug it. Really quirky, funny, great ending.

I love your work. Keep it up.

Will Clegg
02-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Hey Andy,

This was definitely one of my top 3 in the fest. Like someone said before, I didn't even think about the technical aspects of the film, as they were all in place. I just watched, laughed much, and enjoyed. Well done. My favorite line was definitely "I'm going for a walk," as he gets in the car.

Marlon Ladd
02-19-2008, 08:33 AM
I thought this film was really funny too. You did have several good shots in here; the calculator, some of the car stuff. The guy trying to throw the rope up to climb over the building was hilarious and the ending showing what happened to all the people involved had me really laughing. A good and funny story. Nice work!

andoguru
02-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks, Smashedburrito. Wow, that really means a lot to me. I'm glad you liked my short film. It's great to hear people enjoying my work so much.

Thanks, herbalmedia. Amongst so many great films that really nice of you to say. That "I'm going for a walk." line always makes me chuckle too. Thanks for watching.

Thanks leenewton. It was a pleasure to make you laugh. Thanks for taking the time to watch my film.

Sincerely,
Ando

jmc
02-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Great entry; very funny. You really did a great job of keeping the zaniness from going too far over the top. It was funny and came out nicely.

Some of the pacing seemed off, most particularly at the beginning when she enters with a bunch of shopping bags and he doesn't react to it until she says she's been shopping. But overall, it was a very nice job, and a very enjoyable film!

And I'm glad you guys weren't shot up over a LoveFest entry! :thumbsup:

andoguru
02-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks for watching, JMC. I'm glad you liked it. I was trying to create sort of a slightly abnormal pace for the film to give it a feel of being a little odd overall. I might have pushed it a little too far in parts, but it was a good learning experience.

It does feel good to not get shot up by the police, but I have to admit the crew and I felt the police took it a little far coming in with guns drawn when they could easily tell we were just filming a movie since they had us surrounded and were looking in the windows. It happened so quick, 4 cops (1 for each of us) came in and we were handcuffed. They searched the house...then the guy in charge started to chuckle to himself since he knew what was going on.

I have video of the whole ordeal but I don't know if I can post it because of legal reasons.

Thanks.
Ando

mentatDUKE
02-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Andy, this was a wacky, fun film. I liked the jump cuts, especially when he got in his car and drove off. The subject matter was dealt with in a novel, humorous way. I like the interaction between the husband and wife. Women be shoppinnnn.... :)

The turn of events at the end was delightfully absurd.

Not bad.

Ted Arabian
02-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Hey Andy, I was just enjoying your film again and then went back to read some of the posts in your thread... WHEN THIS CAUGHT MY EYE!!!

The ending was somewhat scripted but also a stroke of good and bad luck. Those cops are real cops and there were about 8 more outside as well surrounding the house. We had shot one of the scenes with the ski mask and a neighbor saw the ski mask but not the camera and called the cops on us. They came into the house guns drawn. Luckily noone go hurt and my DP was smart enough to turn on the camera with his nose since we were all handcuffed so we have footage.

OMG! That is outrageous!!! I can't believe it.

So, is the still of the guy in cuffs from the actual incident OR did these cops pose for that shot after the ordeal was explained?!?!

That is so crazy!

I got stopped by a cop during the shoot of Spymaster. I had a camera mounted on the outside of the vehicle shooting the driver and passenger. I stopped the camera but at one point during the stop, I decided to reach into the vehicle and turn the camera back on. It was priceless!

Pretty damn funny that your DP had to do this with his NOSE! Because her was in CUFFS!

That is too funny of a story. I am glad that it wasn't more "serious."

Wow.

Oh! By the way... I thoroughly enjoy this film! Really well done.

I tried to click on the "Meat" link. Doesn't seem to work. Do you have a link that you can pass on to me? I'd like to see it.

Looking forward to seeing more of your films!

best,

Ted

andoguru
02-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks Mentatduke. I was struggling to decide whether to play this wacky idea as more straightforward or a over the top. It turned out to develop into a mixture or being straight forward to begin and then quickly getting crazy. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for watching my film a second time, Ted! Yeah, that picture at the end is real, with real cops and real handcuffs. I'm the guy standing to the right with my back to the camera. The cops didn't know the camera was running which good since they just went about their business. The last thing they said before they left was that they might have shot us if we had a gun in the scene we were shooting...so I guess things could have been worse.

Here's the link the Hallow's Fest "Meat (http://www.dvxfest.com/allhallowsfest/loader.php?id=2048)" page....I'll post it on my site later as well.

Thanks.

Rodney V. Smith
02-21-2008, 04:52 PM
THANK YOU for not letting him get away with attempted robbery. The cards were a nice touch to wrap this movie up and were appropriately hilarious.

Funny movie you got there, good acting, over the top in the right places. It makes me want to get out there and try my hand at comedy again, so a real inspiration.

andoguru
02-22-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm glad you like it puckthemad. I had originally thought of him getting away with the attempted robbery because he became a donor at the place, but I thought it ended better with him getting caught. Especially after the cops in real life went all gunho after just seeing a ski masked person with a grappling hook.

Grappling hooks are intimidating I guess...

Laters.

Curugon
02-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah, that picture at the end is real, with real cops and real handcuffs.

Fantastic, man. I've had cops draw their guns on me while filming too, so I can relate... although I wasn't nearly as ingenious as to roll the camera!

Overall this was a hilarious film. It had a real distinctive personality - you seem very comfortable with comedy, keep it up.

I would recommend another edit where you tighten it up like crazy. The first 20 seconds is spent on the calculator - definitely not needed, the message can be got across in half the time easy. Same goes for all the scenes - they can all be infinitely improved with a little tightening and turn a really good short film into a great one.

Kudos!

Bryce A
02-23-2008, 11:48 PM
So my initial reaction was a forehead slap. This was followed by a "wtf this is ridiculous". But, as I'm sure was your intent, I say all this in the best way possible. This is easily the best comedy in the fest. I reeeally dug it.

My beefs are the lighting and the camera work. I thought both were a bit bland at parts. But, it didn't keep me from loving the piece. Great job....

...now to find that Spermerica Bank.

andoguru
02-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks for watching, Curugon. I actually had the film a little tighter but decided to slow it down just a little because it was hauling butt from the onset and seemed rush, but I guess it depends on who's watching. I personally love stuff that moves really fast, but others I showed it too couldn't keep up. Maybe, I'm reinvestigate it.

Hey Bryce A. I'm glad my film caused such a dramatic reaction. I actually spent a lot of time of lighting and used a HD Tv - that was calibrated - to do the lighting. We got things to look pretty good on set, but I've realized that everyone's computer monitors are different so getting the film to look right. I tend to mess with my player's contrast brightness settings when I watch people's movies online to account for the randomness of monitor types. Any tips on how to get the lighting better? Thanks again for watching my film.

Jack Daniel Stanley
02-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Heheh … read the title so many times just as ENgagement … didn’t see the pun until I read the title.

Lots of nice comic cuts and bits like the zoom in on “where are they!”

Charming cast. Excellent timing.

Nice :beer: