PDA

View Full Version : "Happy Ending" A Bernie Hipos Film

Bernie Hipos
02-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Here's my short film for lovefest '08, it's actually my first time making a film. I posted some pics here for behind the scenes and a screen grab. As you can see i used an old fishing rod given to me by my friend as my boom pole and it worked like a charm. Anyway, goodluck to all. Cheers!

Here's our movie poster. Hope you'll like it.
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/29727/1202529919.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/29727/1202530648.jpg
as you can see here our DIY boom pole with audio technica AT875R shotgun mic. it's a fishing rod folks...

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/29727/1202530826.jpg
screen grab of the main character

Mark Harris
02-08-2008, 05:24 AM
Welcome to the fest!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-08-2008, 05:33 AM
Cool! I love new entries.

Cheers,

Mark Harris
02-08-2008, 05:47 AM
Michael Anthony Horrigan<----Watch out for this guy...

Ted Arabian
02-08-2008, 05:55 AM
Hey Crazy! CONGRATS on your entry and first film!

Welcome and Good luck!

-Ted

Zak Forsman
02-08-2008, 06:05 AM
nice rod.

Zak Forsman
02-08-2008, 06:06 AM
sorry, that sounded kinda weird. nice pole.

Mark Harris
02-08-2008, 06:07 AM
I take it back.

Zak Forsman<-----watch out for THIS guy.

Bernie Hipos
02-08-2008, 07:59 AM
thank you guys!

Kholi
02-14-2008, 12:26 AM
HAPPY ENDINGS -- THOUGHT TYPENESS! From... THE MIND!

Sometimes I actually do more "thoughts" than a review. As your first film, I think that thoughts are more appropriate than an actual review because they're more prone to help.

I think that you're working with content that you have knowledge about. Does it come from family background? You know, deep down, what you have to do. Don't be afraid to mimic things from your favorite movies like camera placement, blocking, etc.

It's a good way to learn! I'm not going to gripe about anything, but I am glad that you got out and did it because honestly (as much as I yap on these boards) the only way to learn how to do it is to do it.

Exhibit again! And thanks!

Hunter Hampton
02-14-2008, 11:43 AM
You put forth great effort. Im sure you know some of the problems and I also know that you can learn from your mistakes. I dont need to talk about that.

I really liked the culture in this film, the mixing of language. The asian market. And those kabobs looked really dang good! I could tell that you dont make films all of the time, and thats ok! Keep making films. When you do your next film, you will see a major improvement on all of the technical details and also more freedom to focus on direction.

Thanks again for posting your film, especially your first. It takes guts.

wcs
02-14-2008, 06:47 PM
I definitely think there's certainly something in the premise, but the story just needed some time in the gym to lean itself up.

What I got was that the central story was a guy who was tempted by society and status, but couldn't shake his love for a girl. It's a good premise, but your script focused on the character who doesn't change, the girl who never faltered in her love. If the ending has been something like "and then she says too late and walks away", then the audience would have known why we were watching her life. Time brought her strength to quit this guy. It doesn't need to have a sad ending, that's just an idea.

I'm curious as to what you were saying with the language switching? I'm not saying it was bad, just that it slightly confused me.

Technically I wasn't too disappointed. There were some issues, but when you're presenting a simple story about love too much flash can be distracting. Often times it's best to do what you did, turn on the camera and let them act.

Keep it up, man.

Bernie Hipos
02-14-2008, 09:17 PM
>kholi, hunter richards and wcs

Hey guys thanks, I didn't know that you guys posted about this...lol, been busy watching all the films. Anyway, this is my first short and really there's a lot of things to work on like my audio and some stuff like blocking and camera movement. It's been really great that I was able to share this film to all of you, Thanks again for taking time to watch. Cheers! :happy:

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Obviously there were a lot of technical issues but not terrible for a first timer.
You will learn from this experience and I expect to see you in the next fest! :)

The acting seemed pretty good as did some of the camera work. Especially considering that this is your first short.

Kudos!

Bernie Hipos
02-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Obviously there were a lot of technical issues but not terrible for a first timer.
You will learn from this experience and I expect to see you in the next fest! :)

The acting seemed pretty good as did some of the camera work. Especially considering that this is your first short.

Kudos!

Hey man, thanks for that appreciate it. I'll tell my actor and let her read this, you made her happy. :)Cheers!

Arrik
02-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Hey Bernie,

My father is pinoy, but unfortunately, I can't understand Filipino. Though I could definitely relate to the culture and the actors. FYI all, that half filipino half english talk is authentic. It just how they communicate many times. Same with some spanish people, no?

That said, I thought the intro didnt need that strong sephia tone. Didnt seem like it was a flashback from the present or anything like that. Simply seemed it was something that happened first, followed by a subsequent scene. Now if the following scene pictured her recalling that moment, then it might warrant its use. I only mention it because I thought it was distracting for your story is all.

Last thing. It was also distracting that the girl's kabob was down to the last bite but the guys was still almost untouched. IMHO, I think next time you should switch it so your girl doesnt look too hungry, unless you want her to :)

I'm glad you were able to submit, and I appreciate you stickin to your roots. Keep it up, homie...

Bernie Hipos
02-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Hey Bernie,

My father is pinoy, but unfortunately, I can't understand Filipino. Though I could definitely relate to the culture and the actors. FYI all, that half filipino half english talk is authentic. It just how they communicate many times. Same with some spanish people, no?

That said, I thought the intro didnt need that strong sephia tone. Didnt seem like it was a flashback from the present or anything like that. Simply seemed it was something that happened first, followed by a subsequent scene. Now if the following scene pictured her recalling that moment, then it might warrant its use. I only mention it because I thought it was distracting for your story is all.

Last thing. It was also distracting that the girl's kabob was down to the last bite but the guys was still almost untouched. IMHO, I think next time you should switch it so your girl doesnt look too hungry, unless you want her to :)

I'm glad you were able to submit, and I appreciate you stickin to your roots. Keep it up, homie.

Hi Arrik,

Thanks for taking time to comment, appreciate it. hahaha i didn't notice the kebob (we call it barbecue in the Philippines) lol. Good to know that your dad is Filipino. Regarding the movie, we were supposed to use the english language but you know, I guess we'll be more convincing if we use our native language called Tagalog. I totally agree with what you said regarding the sepia tone of the movie. I was having problems with the editing process and color correcting the clips. Also, I had a terrible audio on that scene because we don't have much crew to help us out during the shoot to hold the boom mic, that's why I end up using the sennheiser g2 lapel mic.

Gohanto
02-15-2008, 01:02 AM
This is your first short? Wow, way better than my first attempt. A little practice will serve you well, but I think this is a very well put together first short. I especially liked the pan up establishing of the building. Just looked very nice.

And also, for being your first short, its quite amazing that you're one of the very few people here who didn't have to cut your film down to 5:59 on the dot just to be legal. Congrats on that.

Tom Marshall
02-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Bernie, I haven't had a chance to watch your entry yet, but thought I'd point out your signature banner - it looks like you had spell check turned on and some of the words didn't pass spell check. :)

Mark Harris
02-15-2008, 04:02 PM
This was a nice film for your first film. I LOVED that this was a genuinely international entry. I know in HorrorFest we had a Greek dude put up his vampire flick all in Greek. Not sure how many others we've had this year.

I'm sure you know about or have heard about the issues, so I won't really go into them here.

What I liked too was how you allowed them to pass in and out of English mid-sentence, so seamlessly. Which is very much on the money for a lot of people who've moved here from non-English speaking countries. In NYC, you hear it all the time. So I loved that you let that little detail just be there. Gave it a realism that I think some of us might have missed.

Keep it up! Get into the next fest!

Bernie Hipos
02-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Hey Gohanto, thanks for that man, I really appreciate it. Yup we had a very long script before and I guess we managed to cut it down to less than 6 minutes.
To Tom, hahaha I didn't notice that lol. 4real is basically the name of our production company in the Philippines, my friend told me maybe we can change it to 4reel as in reel of a film. Hehehe...
To Mark thanks to you, we tried our best to translate it in detail. I'm happy because everyone here is helping each other improve which is really awesome. This is the best forum ever! Cheers to all.

Chris Messineo
02-15-2008, 07:06 PM
First, congratulations on completing your first short film.

Story wise, it was sweet. I wish it had taken place over a shorter period of time and had really focused on the pressure, pain, and loss he felt in having to break up with his true love. More conflict and less phone conversations.

Technically, the sound was a little rough, but I thought you did a good job for your first film.

Bernie Hipos
02-16-2008, 08:36 AM
First, congratulations on completing your first short film.

Story wise, it was sweet. I wish it had taken place over a shorter period of time and had really focused on the pressure, pain, and loss he felt in having to break up with his true love. More conflict and less phone conversations.

Technically, the sound was a little rough, but I thought you did a good job for your first film.

Hi chris thanks for the compliment, really appreciate it.:)

kurtmo
02-16-2008, 10:08 AM
The film was OK. I think the script held this one back. I wanted to be shown the story, but I felt like the dialog was "telling" the story almost like a narration. The emotion level was too mellow. I wanted Gaby to be more in love and more upset and more angry. Same story went for the leading male. I think the story was there, but you need to get the viewer behind the characters or angry with them. Thanks for sharing and good luck on future films!

Shawn Philip Nelson
02-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Yeah! We finally have a bilingual entry, I love that!

I agree with the previous poster that when you only have 6 minutes, it's better to set the story in one timeframe.

Now a silly question, where they speaking spanish? It sounded like Spanish to me but they didn't look Spanish.

Keep going!

Zak Forsman
02-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Now a silly question, where they speaking spanish? It sounded like Spanish to me but they didn't look Spanish.

Keep going!

the characters were filipino. they were speaking tagalog.

Bernie Hipos
02-17-2008, 06:29 PM
the characters were filipino. they were speaking tagalog.

hahaha zak is right it's tagalog our native language. thanks for your comment shawneous. Cheers!:happy:

Brian Parker
02-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Good job on your first film Bernie. It looks like everybody has pretty much said what I was going to say but I wanted to stop by and leave a comment saying that you're off to a good start. Keep going.

Bernie Hipos
02-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Good job on your first film Bernie. It looks like everybody has pretty much said what I was going to say but I wanted to stop by and leave a comment saying that you're off to a good start. Keep going.

hey champloo thanks a lot! appreciate it!

KenV
02-18-2008, 04:15 AM
I thought this was Filipino, you must be from the inner bay area, . . . maybe not.

Bernie Hipos
02-18-2008, 04:55 PM
I thought this was Filipino, you must be from the inner bay area, . . . maybe not.

hi ken, we are from miami area here in florida.:dankk2:

Ted Arabian
02-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Hey Bernie, just got to see your film. Nice work.

Your opening sequence was by far my favorite! I enjoyed the cinematography and the color. And you started out with a really nice story filled with conflict.

However, I felt that the rest of the film was forced. The conflict was there but it had to be told to use in words. I would really liked to have witness this conflict.

Nice job on showing your characters 3 years later. Gaby, in particular, looked great as she had "moved on."

There is a nice message here to your film that could have blossomed nicely with some different choices, in my opinion. The writing seemed to repeat itself at the end. I would like to have seen the guy become everything that Gaby had always wanted. I just felt that we were being told this story instead of being shown this story.

Nice job. I am glad that you submitted your film!

-Ted

Bernie Hipos
02-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Hey Bernie, just got to see your film. Nice work.

Your opening sequence was by far my favorite! I enjoyed the cinematography and the color. And you started out with a really nice story filled with conflict.

However, I felt that the rest of the film was forced. The conflict was there but it had to be told to use in words. I would really liked to have witness this conflict.

Nice job on showing your characters 3 years later. Gaby, in particular, looked great as she had "moved on."

There is a nice message here to your film that could have blossomed nicely with some different choices, in my opinion. The writing seemed to repeat itself at the end. I would like to have seen the guy become everything that Gaby had always wanted. I just felt that we were being told this story instead of being shown this story.

Nice job. I am glad that you submitted your film!

-Ted

hi ted, thanks a lot...that was a very nice review. hope to submit more films in the coming fests...i enjoyed this fest a lot.:dankk2:

Ted Arabian
02-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Hey Bernie, i was just flipping through your thread and I see that this is your FIRST FILM!!!

Wow! I am very impressed. Good for you. You did a very commendable job here.

I certainly look forward to your future work.

Keep it up!

Best,

Ted

Bryce A
02-20-2008, 01:36 AM
So it's a love story, but what seperates it from the rest is that it exists in the larger context of the characters' cultures/ethnic identity/so on. I'm sure it was something that you were goin for or at least came about naturally. Anyhow, loved that aspect. You know you have some technical work to do and that will come with time. Just keep making films.

mentatDUKE
02-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Congrats on your first film. It's pretty ambitious due to the scope and number of locations. Most first-timers stick to one location due to fear. I know that's what I did. Ha.

Keep making more. You have a unique voice.

Slimothy
02-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Bernie,
Dude, I wish you could see my first attempt......Or maybe I don't, lol.

My step mother is Filipino so I have to show her this, she'll love it. Great job on completing your film as the first couple of attempts I made were pretty much not worth finishing, if ya know what I mean. That is something I definitely can't say about this.

A few technical clean ups could make this a pretty solid little piece, good job.

Bernie Hipos
02-21-2008, 10:01 PM
hey guys, thanks for all your great comments. i really don't know what to say, it's really an awesome feeling...

My step mother is Filipino so I have to show her this, she'll love it. Great job on completing your film as the first couple of attempts I made were pretty much not worth finishing, if ya know what I mean.

hey man thanks for that, it's nice to know that your step mom is Filipino, I think she'll be proud if she'll watch it. Thanks again.

Jack Daniel Stanley
02-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Most of the images are nice and have a natural unforced feeling to them and the world felt pretty real.

I feel for you with some of your sound problems in the beginning especially and throughout. Gotta fix that with some ADR. Audio is 60% of what you see and much more important to overall perceived quality than video.
Story was ok but not overly interesting.

I appreciated the simplicity and enjoyed it. Great first effort.

:beer: