PDA

View Full Version : GHOSTS FOR HEROES - Geoff Reisner

Geoff_R
02-05-2008, 08:16 PM
NOW AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING...
This is a non-compete entry.

LINK:

CLICK TO VIEW: GHOSTS FOR HEROES (http://www.rawimagefilms.com/qtmovies/ghosts/ghosts_dvxuser_version.mov)

http://www.rawimagefilms.com/graphics/ghostsforheroes/dvxuser/ghostsforheroes_poster_dvxuser.jpg

This film is about life, death and love.

Geoff_R
02-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Reserved for BTS & UPDATES...

Film is up. I'm done with it for at least a few weeks, then I'll come back to it. Color correct, sound design, mix, rescore, etc. But I think the basic cut will stay the same unless no one gets the story or something.

Almost there...just working on one last musical track. Should be uploading sometime late Thursday night or Friday morning if all goes well. Really wish I could have made in on time for the launch of all the other films at least but I've got to put other work in front of my personal stuff for the time being.

Had to spend the day catching up on work. Still working through the score but other than that, the film is basically done. I didn't upload because the score wasn't ready and I just don't like the idea of the film being up there in a manner I don't intend. Music has always been incredibly important for me and it's especially true with this piece. There isn't very much dialogue or sound effects to carry the 'sound', it has to be done through the music.

What I've learned, it's ridiculous to try and make a movie in a very short amount of time. A little bit of time can go a long way towards allowing something to develop, to bloom (mostly relating to editing and scoring)...BUT on the other hand, no matter how little time you've got or when the idea hits, it's best to get out there and make the film. I hate even thinking about the fact that I almost didn't make this at all due to the short amount of time...that'd have been a huge mistake. So yea, if I get an idea for the next fest even 12 hours before the deadline. You can bet your @$$ I'm going to do it.

02.10.08 / 6:30am - Post Update...
Rough cut done. Definitely the best thing I've done so far. Now to just get it under 6 mins. Might go NC if it doesn't work the way I want it too. Gotta keep cutting, need a pic lock by 10am to send to Anthony.

02.09.08 - Production Wrap-up...
So it turns into a two-day shoot...thank you traffic! Thankfully my actors were able to make it out again this morning and afternoon to finish up. Overall, I'm satisfied with the production footage and glad I finally made another film. It's been almost a year since I've directed something narrative. Lots of fun on set, felt like we were shooting a comedy when this is absolutely not so. Made some mistakes, learned a lot, and tried my best to not cut corners. Didn't get any behind the scenes stills (no one around to take any) but made sure to get some production stills so I can at least get a poster together. Time to start cutting.

02.06.08 - Possibly second guessing myself... :/
Trying to cast a movie in one day...a little irritated because I would have liked the opportunity to rehearse at least once with my actors prior to shooting. Setting up some auditions for tomorrow at a local starbucks. Just a meet and greet. If they seem like they can act, they're in for the role. Locked the one major location and during the afternoon tomorrow, scouring downtown LA for alleys and a some other key exterior locations. I wish Doc would show up in his Delorean and take me back 1 week or so to prep and shoot this thing. Since I'm in the twisted mindset of wishing for things. Why not have Doc show up with a Delorean and a RED package loaded with build 15...

Dreams...just dreams...

02.05.08 - Idea
Although I had been tinkering with some other idea the past week, a new one crept into my head today and I must make this one instead. I'll be locking actors and what little locations I need tonight and then shoot on Thursday and Friday. I'll edit on Saturday. I figured the best motivating factor at this point and time was to make a thread.

Almost midnight now, just finished first draft of script. Perhaps a tad bit too long, but I'll make it work in the edit.

Luis Caffesse
02-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Damn.
Didn't you do enough for this fest already?
:)

Glad to see you joining the party...

bosindy
02-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Well this fest is shaping to be an all star collection. I love your work, glad to see you are in.

Kholi
02-05-2008, 08:21 PM
:2vrolijk_08:

Geoff_R
02-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Damn.
Didn't you do enough for this fest already?

Glad to see you joining the party...
Thanks Luis. I haven't directed anything in almost a year and I can't afford to get rusty in that department. :)

Geoff_R
02-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Well this fest is shaping to be an all star collection. I love your work, glad to see you are in.
Thanks. Wish you could have made it out to the WTHL shoot. We had a great time on that set.

Geoff_R
02-05-2008, 08:25 PM
:2vrolijk_08:
You busy on Thursday and Friday?

Kholi
02-05-2008, 08:27 PM
You busy on Thursday and Friday?

Shooting with Geoff Reisner. :DD Send me an email with the title "LOL like, let's shoot!" and all the infos!

Robert Eldon
02-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Geoff, you sly dog! Love the title. Very intriguing. Looking forward to seeing this!

Mark Harris
02-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Noice!!!!!

Beat Takeshi
02-05-2008, 09:36 PM
I truly love your work homie. Can't wait to see this one.

Matty_g
02-05-2008, 09:38 PM
damn Geoff, good luck!

Geoff_R
02-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys, glad to be making a film again finally! I think I'm going to need that luck, Matty...I just wrote in a hospital scene...now to find a hospital for free...

Matty_g
02-05-2008, 10:01 PM
If I had more time I could help you out with that Geoff
:/

Blaine
02-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Damn, Geoff. I know a couple of hopital standing sets that could have probably been had for a "reasonable" price with enough notice...

Good luck on this...just not TOO MUCH good luck...:cheesy:

Kholi
02-05-2008, 11:31 PM
BPress WESTSIDE production...

What?

Geoff_R
02-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Dude I just sent you the script. Go read it.

Geoff_R
02-05-2008, 11:34 PM
This may end up being a Cine-V production...but I'll consider some Bpressage' for some of the more harsh scenes :)

Geoff_R
02-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Damn, Geoff. I know a couple of hopital standing sets that could have probably been had for a "reasonable" price with enough notice...

Good luck on this...just not TOO MUCH good luck...:cheesy:
I think I'm going to have to guerilla the hospital. I can be inconspicuous when needed.

Jason Ramsey
02-05-2008, 11:51 PM
I like Cine V.... and D....

Welcome to the fest, man.

Later,
Jason

Ted Arabian
02-06-2008, 04:35 AM
Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!! Geoff is in!!!!!

Dude, I am a huge fan of your work! Looking forward to watching ALL of your entries!!!

Love the title!

Good luck!

-Ted

dvpixl
02-06-2008, 04:39 AM
This may end up being a Cine-V production...but I'll consider some Bpressage' for some of the more harsh scenes :)

funny stuff.

mentatDUKE
02-06-2008, 06:34 AM
Geoff, you are quite the swashbuckler for entering the game with gusto at this stage. I can't wait to see what you end up creating. I know you can pull it off.

Good luck!

Kholi
02-06-2008, 09:13 AM
=( But, I don't have a Cine-V KrEw hat..

Fiiinee.

Mark Harris
02-06-2008, 09:18 AM

Fiiinee.

LOL :):)

Slimothy
02-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Geoff, is this the idea that you mentioned the other day?

Geoff_R
02-06-2008, 02:42 PM

Fiiinee.
We can make them...we'll just use printed stickers and slap them on a plain hat. That's how ultra low budget peeps roll.

Geoff_R
02-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Geoff, is this the idea that you mentioned the other day?
No, something entirely new. I think this is the fourth or fifth idea I've had for this fest. All the other ones were so-so...not interesting enough to make me drop everything else I was doing in order to actually go do it. I'm really meticulous on scripts, especially when I'm the writer. I only wish I had come up with this one a week ago rather than yesterday.

Edgen
02-06-2008, 04:28 PM
wowwa.. pulling in clutch. :) Looking forward to seeing your entry Geoff.

/j

Brandon Rice
02-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Just read the script Geoff... wow... can't wait to help you out on this!

Marlon Ladd
02-07-2008, 05:47 AM
Good luck Geoff. Don't worry, you're not the only one that'll be filming and editing this weekend. We can get 'er done, just won't be alot of sleep involved.

Geoff_R
02-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Good luck Geoff. Don't worry, you're not the only one that'll be filming and editing this weekend. We can get 'er done, just won't be alot of sleep involved.
Yea, sleep has always been overrated...

Geoff_R
02-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Little update here; finished casting/auditioning throughout various starbucks in the SFV this morning, location scouted this afternoon, grabbing some lights from the generous guys over at Fat Monster films later tonight, and picking up props at Wal-mart in a little bit. Still need some kind of revolver or six-shooter gun...very important! Anyone have one? I don't care if it's real :)

Brandon Rice
02-07-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm super excited about this man!

Mark Harris
02-08-2008, 05:26 AM
Little update here; finished casting/auditioning throughout various starbucks in the SFV this morning, location scouted this afternoon, grabbing some lights from the generous guys over at Fat Monster films later tonight, and picking up props at Wal-mart in a little bit. Still need some kind of revolver or six-shooter gun...very important! Anyone have one? I don't care if it's real :)

Ah shoot, man, if I'd known sooner, I could have FED-EXed you a couple of super real prop revolvers I have...

Geoff_R
02-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Just wrapped a little bit ago. Shot about an hour and a half of footage; underestimated the time it would take to shoot... Lots of little scenes in many different locations, lots of sitting in traffic. Small cast and crew made it easy to move fast. Many thanks to the crew, Damien and Kholi, for their time and hard work. Shouldn't be difficult to edit, shot only what I needed on most occasions.

Kholi
02-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Hurry up and cut! :D

Mark Harris
02-09-2008, 06:09 PM
lots of sitting in traffic with Kholi? Mods, is there a prize for patience?

Slimothy
02-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Congrats on the wrap Geoff. Time for the fun part.

Geoff_R
02-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Hurry up and cut! :D
It's taking forever to scan in... I got 13 4GB MXF rolls... I'm getting tired as heck just sitting here converting.

Geoff_R
02-09-2008, 06:24 PM
lots of sitting in traffic with Kholi? Mods, is there a prize for patience?
We made Kholi ride with one of our actors :) Haha...Kidding Kholi...Kidding. Don't hurt me! I'm fragile.

Kholi
02-09-2008, 10:16 PM
We made Kholi ride with one of our actors :) Haha...Kidding Kholi...Kidding. Don't hurt me! I'm fragile.

Snap. Hater Senses tingling! :D Can't wait to see what comes out of the 13 4Gb Reels, though.

Brandon Rice
02-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Awesome work Geoff! Wow... only an hour and a half of footage! Nice!

Geoff_R
02-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Awesome work Geoff! Wow... only an hour and a half of footage! Nice!
Yea, this was one of my most conservative shoots for sure :) Hopefully this helps me cut faster and get Anthony a picture lock by at least tomorrow morning so he can start scoring. Thank goodness he works well under pressure.

Mark Harris
02-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Where it's at, boyzzz?

Geoff_R
02-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Where it's at, boyzzz?
Not done but going to upload anyway...

Danielleus
02-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Make yer poster, man. After Heritage I am SOOOOOO looking forward to this (and whatever you do). Just please finish on time. PLEASE!!!!!!!!! Good luck.

Geoff_R
02-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the support dude. Unfortunately, I won't be entering the 'competition' aspect of the fest, I'll be onboard as an NC. I need another day or two to work the score and some sound elements. Should hopefully get the poster up by tomorrow night.

Jack Daniel Stanley
02-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Glad to hear we still get to see it!

Geoff_R
02-12-2008, 04:32 AM
Poster...

http://www.rawimagefilms.com/graphics/ghostsforheroes/dvxuser/ghostsforheroes_poster_dvxuser_small.jpg

I'm hoping to get this uploaded by Thursday or Friday. We're working on the score this week and I'll probably recut a little bit now that I don't have the six-minute time constraint.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-12-2008, 05:12 AM
Nice looking poster! :thumbup:

Ted Arabian
02-12-2008, 05:15 AM
Hey Geoff, I am glad that you are still submitting your film even if it is NC. I love your work and look forward to see this. Plus the entries that you shot. Curious, how many did you shoot? I know you did WTHL. Any others?

Geoff_R
02-12-2008, 05:25 AM
Hey Geoff, I am glad that you are still submitting your film even if it is NC. I love your work and look forward to see this. Plus the entries that you shot. Curious, how many did you shoot? I know you did WTHL. Any others?
Unless someone who hired me was lying about their intentions, only two :) WTHL and Ghosts for Heroes.

Both were HVX/SGpro/Nikon. With WTHL, we went for a more polished look and feel; sticks, dolly, occasional crane and a decent grip and lighting package. With GFH, nothing but hand held lit by either natural light or the one light + stand I'd use. Very different approaches, each with their own respective pros and cons. With WTHL, it looks better technically. With GFH, since I'm also directing, being hand held allowed me to use the camera in a much personal and intimate manner. Had I shot GFH with the mindset of being technically proficient, the story would have lacked. With WTHL, this wasn't an issue because all I have to do is provide the image while Tim took care of the directing.

Marlon Ladd
02-12-2008, 05:33 AM
Nice poster. Love the color, Geoff. Can't wait to check it out.

Ted Arabian
02-12-2008, 05:37 AM
Very cool insight.

I tell you, I love managing my own camera but I find it so hard to direct at the same time!!! When I am behind the camera, all I look for is framing and focus. The director in me cannot see beyond the basic acting elements. Thankfully, I hired some pretty good actors this time around.

Jaime V
02-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Man that poster looks really great. It's even more impressive you put this together in such a short time frame.

Looking forward to see it!

Slimothy
02-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Great poster Geoff. Is that an actual grab from the film?

Mark Johnson
02-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Really nice poster, Geoff. My t-shirts all have the same wrinkles as the one shown. Did you pinch one of my tees while you were hanging out at Fat Monster?

Geoff_R
02-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Great poster Geoff. Is that an actual grab from the film?

I wish... (Red) but no, it's a just a still referencing a particular scene.

Geoff_R
02-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Really nice poster, Geoff. My t-shirts all have the same wrinkles as the one shown. Did you pinch one of my tees while you were hanging out at Fat Monster?
One?! I think I went through at least a few drawers. I managed to scam some nice button ups, sweaters, and of course some socks.

Mark Johnson
02-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Damn, I use those socks to clean the aquarium. Why I oughtaa.... You're a Koo-Koo DP, Geoff.

Brandon Rice
02-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Wow Geoff awesome poster! Also, give me a call when you get a chance. thanks man.

Jack Daniel Stanley
02-12-2008, 11:10 AM
yeah nice poster, impressed by how clean it is while still being evocative.

Danielleus
02-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Man, you get around. How many are you working on in this fest? And is that the guy from Heritage? I like him. He's good.

Can't wait to see it. Obvious, I expect nothing but the best from you.

Good luck meeting my expectations.

P.S. What does Tim Hyten look like?

jojopop
02-12-2008, 01:17 PM
That poster rocks. I really like the color scheme and the simplicity of it.

Looking forward to the flick!!

Geoff_R
02-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Man, you get around. How many are you working on in this fest? And is that the guy from Heritage? I like him. He's good.

Can't wait to see it. Obvious, I expect nothing but the best from you.

Good luck meeting my expectations.

P.S. What does Tim Hyten look like?
Just the two films on my banner, WTHL and GFH. Yea, same actor, Chris Jennings. He's one of the most talented actors I know, able to pull off just about anything. Hopefully, this one exceeds your expectations :)

And as far as Tim goes...that's a heavily guarded secret. Tim has gone to enormous lengths to protect his identity but I'm sure there's a few pics of him scattered amongst the 1000+ responses in the WTHL thread.

Danielleus
02-12-2008, 02:21 PM
HA! Found a pic. Or at least some kind sir posted one for me to see.
Yes, the resemblence is uncanny.
With regards to my expectations, well, let's just so I expect nothing but to have you exceed them. If that makes sense. Not sure it does. Oh well, good luck.

Matt Harris
02-12-2008, 07:18 PM
killer. poster.

Beat Takeshi
02-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Cool ass poster homey.

Geoff_R
02-12-2008, 08:40 PM
The actual picture for the poster is quite funny. We took it right outside her apartment and it's one of the rare few where someone isn't smiling, laughing or doing some crazy thing.

Danielleus
02-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Enough of this poster talk. Yes, the poster is awesome. Yes, I love the look.

But let's talk about that title. Awesome. Evocative, yet makes me think of war. AND I have no idea what this film is about. Love it. Can't wait. Top of my list.

Please don't blow up my computer with your awesomeness. That's all I ask.

P.S. Nice title.

Luis Caffesse
02-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Where is the film, Geoff?
I was looking forward to this one.

I know you said it was going to wind up being a NC - but I don't see it on the list anywhere.

Brandon Rice
02-15-2008, 06:43 AM
Geoff told me he was working on getting it up last night.

Luis Caffesse
02-15-2008, 06:45 AM

It's only 8:45am and already that is the quote of the day.
:thumbsup:

(Sorry... I have the sense of humor of a 10 year old.)

Ted Arabian
02-15-2008, 06:47 AM

It's only 8:45am and already that is the quote of the day.
:thumbsup:

(Sorry... I have the sense of humor of a 10 year old.)
OMG... that is too funny.

Mark Harris
02-15-2008, 06:55 AM
That almost beats TheComo:

You really came on my hard, Kholi...

Brandon Rice
02-15-2008, 08:10 AM
oh gosh, I never meant it to... well... nevermind.

Matty_g
02-15-2008, 08:35 AM
hahasdkhskhsahahhaha

Kholi
02-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Lmfao. I dunno, I don't think it beats Como's line.

Mark Johnson
02-15-2008, 09:28 AM
OMG, this film is amazing. The cinematography took my breath away. By far the best short I've ever seen.

... Ok, Geoff. I've got my comments ready, now where's the film?

Geoff_R
02-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Lol...funny stuff...but yes...where is the film?

Rendering on a little ibook right now...

Ted Arabian
02-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Hey Geoff... sorry that you couldn't get it up last night.

Uh.... I mean...

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-15-2008, 10:13 AM

Uh.... I mean...LOL! :grin:

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Can't wait to see this one actually. I'm really looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Mark Johnson
02-15-2008, 10:23 AM

Uh.... I mean...

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! Best post of the morning.

Geoff_R
02-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Oh, I'll get it up by at least this afternoon :) I also can't wait to start looking at films. I haven't seen anything yet...I'm forcing myself to finish the film first, then I'll sit back and start soaking up the films.

J.R. Hudson
02-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Really looking forward to this Geoff !

Mark Johnson
02-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Oh, I'll get it up by at least this afternoon :) I also can't wait to start looking at films. I haven't seen anything yet...

Be sure and take a look at WTHL. It's no CORSAIRS but the cinematography is adequate.

Brandon Rice
02-15-2008, 11:02 AM
lol. He would know ;)

Brandon Rice
02-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Looking forward to another Reisner short!

Geoff_R
02-15-2008, 02:01 PM
NOW AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING...
This is a non-compete entry.

LINK:
http://www.dvxfest.com/lovefest/loader.php?id=90053

GHOSTS FOR HEROES (http://www.rawimagefilms.com/qtmovies/ghosts/ghosts_dvxuser_version.mov)

Crew:
Writer/Director/Editor/DP - Geoff Reisner
Producers - Geoff Reisner & Damien Jackson
Original Music - Anthony Shamal Perera
Camera and Lighting assistant - Kholi Hicks

Cast:
Chris Jennings - Jack Williams
Chantel Rose - Avery Williams
Ron Vesci - Officer Shaw
Cody Cowell - Detective Key
Harry Wiliams Jr. - Detective Burrs
Photographer - Damien Jackson

-

I've been told this story is a little ambiguous. In some parts, it is deliberate, while in others, I may have not expressed things properly. I had some voiceover work which I removed at the last moment. The VO made it easier to understand the story, motivation, reasons, etc, but I felt it to be a better film without it. I'm curious to see what people think regarding his motivation only because I've seen it now 20+ times and can no longer be objective.

The film is almost done. Still needs color correction, some minor vfx possibly, score needs a little tweaking, sound mixing (especially in first scene...), etc. But I'm satisfied enough with it at this point to post it up for viewing. I'm glad I didn't rush it and upload the film just to be a part of the competition. I ended up recutting a bit and then spent the rest of the week working on the music with Anthony. Even with those extra days, this is now my fastest film ever made. It's also probably the cheapest, as we stole every single location.

I've uploaded the film to my server at rawimagefilms and hopefully I can get it mirrored onto the fest servers by this evening.

For those who have been waiting for the film. Thank you. You motivated my recent 'work through the night schedule' which allowed me to get this done. Thanks to the gang at DVXuser for throwing these fests and forcing me to make a film every now and then. Hope this one doesn't let down.

LINK is going to a straight quicktime file so let me know if you have problems viewing.

Luis Caffesse
02-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Where is it?

Darn...didn't mean to post this yet...still need about 10 mins on the upload....

Be patient.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Darn...didn't mean to post this yet...still need about 10 mins on the upload....I was wondering... :D

Zak Forsman
02-15-2008, 02:14 PM
okay, that's 10! let's see it!!

Geoff_R
02-15-2008, 02:22 PM
OKAY, finally up...Larry will be mirroring it soon.

Kholi
02-15-2008, 02:34 PM
I think I'm gonna get rid of my last name. LoL

Just be: Kholi

Good job on gettin' the short up, Geoff. Another piece to add to the portfolio. =D Watchin' soon.

Edit: Oh and... dang... listen to that SOUND. Cough cough Can we get a sound credit please? :D

Just kiddin'!

Slimothy
02-15-2008, 02:40 PM
SPOILERS BELOW:

I wish this could have been in the fest man. I liked the way you told your story in a non linear fashion. I thought the editing was really strong and the shots looked cinematic as they come. I really actually can't figure out how you pulled it off in such a short time period. Actors were all great.

Question: Why did the guy bring the gun with him in the first place? It seems as if it's presented that the cop happens to notice him, but if he brought a gun did he intend to commit suicide by cop?

You rock Geoff. We need to get together again.
Tim.

Kholi
02-15-2008, 02:46 PM
I can't believe you actually went into the hospital and did that. You're crazy.

Ready to shoot? :D

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-15-2008, 02:52 PM
-

I've been told this story is a little ambiguous. In some parts, it is deliberate, while in others, I may have not expressed things properly. I had some voiceover work which I removed at the last moment. The VO made it easier to understand the story, motivation, reasons, etc, but I felt it to be a better film without it. I'm curious to see what people think regarding his motivation only because I've seen it now 20+ times and can no longer be objective.

I wouldn't dumb it down. I think it is very clear as to what is going on in this movie, especially the motivation.

Extremely well shot! No surprise there... :)
The acting is also very strong, as is the story. I also really love the way that you revealed the plot via the edit. Nice work.

Would have been a definitely been a contender in my books. (Cut down of course.)

Great work!
I'm off to watch it again.

Cheers,

Mike

Blaine
02-15-2008, 02:53 PM
I really liked this one, Geoff. You've had some good entries in the past but I think this one is the best so far. I really can't believe you were able to shoot it that quickly. Very professional! :thumbsup:

SPOILER:

It was definitely Suicide by Cop, Tim. For the life insurance...

Mark Harris
02-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Hey Geoff. Great work, as always. I'll quibble with Blaine about it being your best, but for throwing it together rather last minute...um yeah, it rocks pretty hard.

I like the amount of visual storytelling. The camera work got in the way a little for me. That part of it felt rushed. I guess only because your films are notable for how meticulous you usually are with the camera, this one stands a hair down on that count. That said, even on a bad day, you can shoot the shit out of a film. :)

Your actors and your direction of them were all great.

I would rethink the music. For some reason I have been on a music kick in this fest. Probably again because I have spent so much time watching THE WIRE this year. Super simple, with no soundtrack outside of certain songs at certain times. So it's made me very aware of music sometimes crossing the line into melodrama. There was nothing wrong with the music in itself, but at times it felt a little heavy. Maybe just a tweak to the arrangement would do it. This might be taste, but like I said, I am just super sensitive to that right now. I mean, the soundtrack in your dramafest entry was an example of basically the perfect soundtrack. It was almost a character, but it never beat you over the head, and always knew when to pull back.

Wow, you really shot this in like a day or two? It's pretty stunning how, with such a non-linear time frame, you were able to keep the story specific in your head with that little prep. And with Kholi in the car in traffic. You deserve a patience award.

Kholi
02-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Hey Geoff. Great work, as always. I'll quibble with Blaine about it being your best, but for throwing it together rather last minute...um yeah, it rocks pretty hard.

Wow, you really shot this in like a day or two? It's pretty stunning how, with such a non-linear time frame, you were able to keep the story specific in your head with that little prep. And with Kholi in the car in traffic. You deserve a patience award.

Hey man! >=\

By the way, Blaine is right. There's some stuff missin' hence VFX, etc.

I personally can't believe how well it came together, and I was there.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-15-2008, 03:12 PM
This thread has to have 5 stars.

Cheers,

Geoff_R
02-15-2008, 04:06 PM

I like the amount of visual storytelling. The camera work got in the way a little for me. That part of it felt rushed. I guess only because your films are notable for how meticulous you usually are with the camera, this one stands a hair down on that count. That said, even on a bad day, you can shoot the shi* out of a film. :)

Your actors and your direction of them were all great.

I would rethink the music. For some reason I have been on a music kick in this fest. Probably again because I have spent so much time watching THE WIRE this year. Super simple, with no soundtrack outside of certain songs at certain times. So it's made me very aware of music sometimes crossing the line into melodrama. There was nothing wrong with the music in itself, but at times it felt a little heavy. Maybe just a tweak to the arrangement would do it. This might be taste, but like I said, I am just super sensitive to that right now. I mean, the soundtrack in your dramafest entry was an example of basically the perfect soundtrack. It was almost a character, but it never beat you over the head, and always knew when to pull back.

Thanks for the indepth thoughts, Mark. Yea, the music for me is the one area I'm still going to be playing with. My composer didn't have a lot of time to work on it this go around and so I ended up making a few bits and pieces of the music myself. This is probably why it sometimes sounds like two different movies. heh.

We shot a full day friday and then did the downtown LA pickups on Saturday morning. No one cared that I had guys running down an alley away from a bank. We must have done 10-15 takes of that run.

Brandon Rice
02-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Great stuff man :thumbsup:

Jared Meyer
02-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Great camerawork, Geoff, as always. You have a pretty solid style and I think I could pick your work out of a crowd. This looks great, as did WTHL and WTTP. All very similar lighting and mood. I enjoy this "look" quite a bit.

The story was interesting, and I liked the way it was told nonlinearly.

Actors were great, but I think the roles might have been miscast. It was very difficult for me to buy any real sense of financial desperation from this young, attractive, well dressed couple with no kids...:) If they had been in their 40s or 50s or even much older, or were clearly on the brink of poverty and starvation, I think the story would have had a lot more impact.

I liked how you were creative in suggesting bigger setpieces, but I think ultimately the story strained the limits of your actual production value. Exteriors of the bank and hospital as well as three plainclothes cops in the right place at the right time started to make me too aware of the budget of the short.

I think you said this was a last-minute project for you, done in a couple of days? That right there makes this a pretty impressive piece of work. I hope you're proud of it.

Thanks for sharing this as a non compete, I'm really glad you finished it. Look forward to more from you. :thumbsup:

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Actors were great, but I think the roles might have been miscast. It was very difficult for me to buy any real sense of financial desperation from this young, attractive, well dressed couple with no kids...:) If they had been in their 40s or 50s or even much older, or were clearly on the brink of poverty and starvation, I think the story would have had a lot more impact.

I believe they were now in financial crisis due to her current medical condition. He obviously felt that they didn't have the money to handle the costs of her ailment/treatment. Probably didn't have any coverage since they are so young and the illness was unexpected and sudden.

I'm sure Geoff can explain it better.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-15-2008, 05:11 PM
BTW, I love the cops choice of words. Almost baiting him on even though he didn't know what he was intending to do. At least that's the way it seemed.

"Come on nice and fast. Let's make this easy.. let's make this simple. Come on! Come on!"

His reaction to this was perfect. Was this done intentionally?

Mike

Geoff_R
02-15-2008, 05:31 PM
BTW, I love the cops choice of words. Almost baiting him on even though he didn't know what he was intending to do. At least that's the way it seemed.

"Come on nice and fast. Let's make this easy.. let's make this simple. Come on! Come on!"

His reaction to this was perfect. Was this done intentionally?

Mike
Part script, part improv. That was one really long take and I'd throw out suggestions and ideas every 10-15 seconds for him to play off of.

Jared Meyer
02-15-2008, 05:33 PM
I believe they were now in financial crisis due to her current medical condition.

Yeah, I did get that but still felt the same way.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I did get that but still felt the same way.Well, if you have a serious illness and zero coverage in the States... I believe you're screwed.

Unless you're wealthy.

Just my 2 cents.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Part script, part improv. That was one really long take and I'd throw out suggestions and ideas every 10-15 seconds for him to play off of.Thanks for the info. Nice work.

Cheers,

Gohanto
02-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Nice worked. Not what I expected and very interesting to watch. I wasn't the biggest fan of the non-linear editing used here. It was unquestionably well put together, but there wasn't really any motivation for the story being told in that fashion. It got in the way of watching the story for me after a little while. In small does it doesn't bother me, but here it was too much in several places where you cut around to several time-frames and I lost focus. It seemed like you wanted to confuse the audience just to add an edge to the story. Probably just my taste though. As I said though, it did look very good and had a professional feel to it.

Acting was very good, and the way you showed the bank robbery was very well done as well. Shot of him on the ground I liked a lot as well.

Excellent work overall.

dvpixl
02-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Geoff, great camera work and lighting. Thanks for putting this out. It made me think of Michael Bay films....

Edgen
02-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Geoff, Damn dude.

Your films always bring me the chills. Thanks for pulling them out once again.

/j

Maximus
02-16-2008, 06:56 AM
Most impressive film of the fest. This is really in another league, not to be disrespectful to the other filmmakers. It was professional in every category: cinematography (duh! parts of it looked like it was shot on 35), acting, music, script, design, editing, and most especially directing.

Although, you're out of the competition, you've now got a film to be proud of. If you don't have an agent already, this should do it!

Great job! :thumbsup:

DJ Lewis
02-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Geoff, dude... when are you opening a school? I've got my tuition check right here.

This was great, but you already knew that. :)

Worked well on every level, just wished you push the financial aspect a tiny bit more, but thinking about it... doing this might have thrown off the ending.

Love it!

Chris Messineo
02-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Wow. That was impressive.

No surprise, the cinematography is wonderful - it does feel like film.

The story, the performances, the edit, and the directing are all fantastic.

Very well done.

Geoff_R
02-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the thoughts and thanks for checking out the film. Glad you enjoyed it.

Matt Harris
02-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Geoff i loved this, i'm most impressed with your story timeline, how it wove in and out of flashbacks. And the editing was great, it had a dreamy quality. All 3 actors were solid
and you really directed this nicely.

Matty_g
02-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Geoff, looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it with some CC!
I still can't believe you pulled off what you did in that amount of time with no permits.
Crazy stuff man. I'm wayyyy too nervous for that kind of stuff.

I also love how you jump in time with straight cuts.

bosindy
02-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Geoff,

You are without a doubt one of the best here with the camera and it shows with this film. Really lovely shots through out. Your two leads gave excellent performances. I absolutely loved the opening.

The non linear story telling became a bit overwrought in spots and it could have had greater impact if it was used to a lesser degree IMO. This is more taste though than anything else and I definitely got a sense for the style you were after.

your work is top notch and I am amazed that you were able to put this together in such a short period of time. congrats!

Jim

Geoff_R
02-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks guys! Yea, the story is a little crazy at some points, Jim. I'm so biased at this point that I cannot view it objectively but I can imagine it being difficult to follow at times with so many different story timelines intercutting. In a sense, it might be taking the viewer out of story and forcing them to think a little too much rather than just enjoying the film. I think it's okay for a short film, but for a long feature, I could see people getting headaches trying to make sense of it all :)

Shawn Philip Nelson
02-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Geoff! Dude, you have been on my short list of "fellow indies to pay attention to" ever since I saw Heritage. Your strides in cinematography are outstanding, I can't wait to see what you do with a Red and being really turned loose on something. It sucks that you're in Hell-Eh cuz I'd be running all my scripts through ya!

Anyhow, to the film at hand. First off, I'm a fan. That said, it shows that you rushed it. Don't get me wrong, the look is good, and I like the concept, but it wasn't polished to where it needed to be. The non-linear didn't work for me so I thought about it. I think if you'd reversed it: have the robbery be the current thread with flashbacks to the couple (instead of flashing forward) it would have made a lot more sense. I would have raised the stakes considerably, such as having him in a tense standoff situation with SWAT outside, etc.

That said, the concept totally works for me, love it! Keep it going dude. Cheers.

Geoff_R
02-16-2008, 11:54 PM
...I would have raised the stakes considerably, such as having him in a tense standoff situation with SWAT outside, etc...
Nice idea, that would have been awesome. I'm picturing how much better his death would have been in that situation, getting shot up by like 4 or 5 SWAT guys...

Thanks for checking the film out, Shawn. Appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Beat Takeshi
02-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Ah was looking for the movie in the zips. It was one of the first I wanted to watch. Downloading now.

Beat Takeshi
02-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Wow, even with all the back flashes and quick cuts I totally got what was going on when I saw the insurance paper. This tugged at my heart the most so far.

Kholi
02-17-2008, 04:27 PM
I would have raised the stakes considerably, such as having him in a tense standoff situation with SWAT outside, etc.

That said, the concept totally works for me, love it! Keep it going dude. Cheers.

I might have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. SWAT vs. a Bank Robber in a non-hostage situation sounds overcooked. Too much for such a personal episode. The insurance paper states (thankfully, without saying) that it's a do-or-die situation and the outcome is a life in exchange or happily ever after. To bring on a slew of tactical forces may serve to remove the invested emotion in this microcosm in exchange for small thrills.

Perhaps, had the story the time and money, still the same one-gun versus robber but a better established point of intervene? SWAT, though, is unrealistic for a non-hostage bank robbery situation.

Geoff_R
02-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Wow, even with all the back flashes and quick cuts I totally got what was going on when I saw the insurance paper. This tugged at my heart the most so far.
Thanks for checking it out, Aram. Glad you enjoyed it.

Danielleus
02-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Hey Geoff,

Sorry for getting to this so late, after you've heard what every one else has to say, etc. AND I'm sorry for reasking questions that other people might have already asked but I just can't go through all 13 (at this count) pages of postings. Please bear with me.

First off, loved it. One of my top favorites. I expected nothing less and sure enough, you delivered. I was just sorry to see it NC. Damn you Geoff, damn you. But pressure of getting it done and all. Totally understand. But still. Damn you.

Otherwise, my only critique is that I thought it could have been shorter. But I only say that because I watched it and thought, "man, is this NC cause it couldn't have been 6 min or were there other issues?" And as I've read it seems like there was tons of time constraints and I think its because of that you weren't able to get it in.

Now, when I say shorter I don't mean that it felt long. Oh, no. But I did watch it again, and again, to see if you could have edited it down to six. And when I did I thought yeah, some of it was a little bit more than needed to be there or stuff that could have gone. It COULD be tighter. Not saying it could be six minutes but I think there are places where a slightly longer take could push the emotion enough so you wouldn't have to do so many shot/reverse shots. It might shave off a second or two here, maybe one or more there.

But this is an observers POV who wouldn't have to re-score it, etc. And that could keep you from cutting it down. Aside from that minor detail I thought the acting, editing, mood, music, sound, story, lighting, etc. (yeah, really the rest of it) was tip top and really great. Welcome back to the directing chair. FOr my money, doesn't look like your gears have rusted at all.

The only technical question I have is what you shot on with what attachments. If you've answered this before please point me to the page and I'll read it. Or just say so and I'd be happy to mine your thread for it.

Anyway, loved it. Can't wait to see more. Too bad it was NC, but congrats on another great film.

Geoff_R
02-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Hey Geoff,

Sorry for getting to this so late, after you've heard what every one else has to say, etc. AND I'm sorry for reasking questions that other people might have already asked but I just can't go through all 13 (at this count) pages of postings. Please bear with me.

First off, loved it. One of my top favorites. I expected nothing less and sure enough, you delivered. I was just sorry to see it NC. Damn you Geoff, damn you. But pressure of getting it done and all. Totally understand. But still. Damn you.

Otherwise, my only critique is that I thought it could have been shorter. But I only say that because I watched it and thought, "man, is this NC cause it couldn't have been 6 min or were there other issues?" And as I've read it seems like there was tons of time constraints and I think its because of that you weren't able to get it in.

Now, when I say shorter I don't mean that it felt long. Oh, no. But I did watch it again, and again, to see if you could have edited it down to six. And when I did I thought yeah, some of it was a little bit more than needed to be there or stuff that could have gone. It COULD be tighter. Not saying it could be six minutes but I think there are places where a slightly longer take could push the emotion enough so you wouldn't have to do so many shot/reverse shots. It might shave off a second or two here, maybe one or more there.

But this is an observers POV who wouldn't have to re-score it, etc. And that could keep you from cutting it down. Aside from that minor detail I thought the acting, editing, mood, music, sound, story, lighting, etc. (yeah, really the rest of it) was tip top and really great. Welcome back to the directing chair. FOr my money, doesn't look like your gears have rusted at all.

The only technical question I have is what you shot on with what attachments. If you've answered this before please point me to the page and I'll read it. Or just say so and I'd be happy to mine your thread for it.

Anyway, loved it. Can't wait to see more. Too bad it was NC, but congrats on another great film.
There was a six minute version of the film in time for the deadline but I wasn't satisfied with the music at that point at all. It still needed a lot of work, so I decided to just hold off from the competition and spend a few days working with the composer on the score. While this was happening, I decided to go through and recut since it didn't matter if it were over 6 mins. I mainly spent time on the ending, giving it more breathing room and extending the credits. I could probably trim a little more and perhaps I will in a few weeks when I go back to finish this up. I just don't have the time right now to do; too many shooting gigs, lots of prep needed.

As for what GFH was shot on/with; HVX with the SGpro 35mm adapter. I was an avid M2 user for the longest time but I'm a recent convert to the SGpro. It's a great adapter, a little less light loss than the M2 and better edge to edge sharpness (IMO). 95% of the film was shot with a 50mm nikon.

Thanks so much for checking out the film :)

Kholi
02-17-2008, 09:29 PM
He really wouldn't switch the 50mm.

Geoff_R
02-17-2008, 09:35 PM
haha...well, we switched to the 24 for like a shot or two....It was hard because those are both 2.8 lenses and I only had one light. The 50 is a 1.4. And yes, perhaps I just really like the look of my 50...

Kholi
02-17-2008, 09:37 PM
haha...well, we switched to the 24 for like a shot or two....It was hard because those are both 2.8 lenses and I only had one light. The 50 is a 1.4. And yes, perhaps I just really like the look of my 50...

LoL I'm just messin' I showed Britney, she said she really likes it. Quote: It's a real movie.

Geoff_R
02-17-2008, 09:40 PM
LoL I'm just messin' I showed Britney, she said she really likes it. Quote: It's a real movie.
Cool man. Too bad you can't shoot with us this week. I got the fat boy sitting on the desk right now....but next week will be going four or five days too.

Kholi
02-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Cool man. Too bad you can't shoot with us this week. I got the fat boy sitting on the desk right now....but next week will be going four or five days too.

Noo waaaaay. I should be up for week after this one!!! What glass you got for it?

UGH. I wish I could come and pull focus for Wes!!! GAHD.

Brian Parker
02-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Great great film Geoff. Completely pro. Liked the casting (the detective had like a young James Woods thing going on) and thought they did a good job. Cinematography, editing, music...all of it, top notch. Well done.

Geoff_R
02-17-2008, 09:47 PM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/9666/1203313543.jpg

Right now just the 18-50 but I did some tests this afternoon, doing lots of 2k, 3k shooting...at 2k we can get the 'perceived impression' of a 100mm. We're trying to get an 85 prime by Tuesday if possible.

Geoff_R
02-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Great great film Geoff. Completely pro. Liked the casting (the detective had like a young James Woods thing going on) and thought they did a good job. Cinematography, editing, music...all of it, top notch. Well done.
Hey man, thanks for checking the film out. I still have a lot of films to get through, I'll be on your thread soon :)

mentatDUKE
02-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Geoff, this was a really great film. It was effective in its puzzle. You had me the right amount of frustrated as I watched, trying to figure out what was going on, then with the reveal, my brain was finally able to say "A-ha!" and breathe a sigh of relief.

Good work. Good storytelling, cinematography, acting, and especially production values. Not one muzzle flash, but you made the bullets "hurt". Well done.

Looking forward to your work with the Red.

Kholi
02-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Dang man. I might have to see if I can get rid of my bulk workload by wednesday so I can jump on for the rest of the week.

YARG

Geoff_R
02-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks for checking it out. We'll see about those muzzle flashes, heh :) might add something for that later on when time suits it. I still haven't gotten around to seeing your films yet, but I will soon.

Geoff_R
02-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Dang man. I might have to see if I can get rid of my bulk workload by wednesday so I can jump on for the rest of the week.

YARG
Yea, let me know dude.

Brandon Rice
02-17-2008, 11:08 PM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/9666/1203313543.jpg

Right now just the 18-50 but I did some tests this afternoon, doing lots of 2k, 3k shooting...at 2k we can get the 'perceived impression' of a 100mm. We're trying to get an 85 prime by Tuesday if possible.

AWHHH yeah!!

Marlon Ladd
02-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Hey, Geoff. I watched your film and I thought it was way cool! This is the kind of movie I'd like to act in. Loved the story and how you intercut it. You packed a mighty punch in these few minutes. There was action, drama and suspense from frame 1 and it switched from fast paced to slow and then back again keeping the audience continually on a quest to try and figure out what's going on. I wish I'd wrote it.

This is definately one of my favorites, because it seems to incorporate several genres at once. Excellent acting, story and camera work. There was just some inconsistent audio here and there, like when the guy gets out of the car with the backpack, the audio seemed to change abruptly. Then, when he was actually driving to get there, there was no audio at all. I don't know if that's what you intended or not (my audio meter was going up and down on bass, but I couldn't hear anything). So, excellent job and BTW your lead actress was FINE! I woulda' did that for her too. LOL.

Also, is Kholi a part of everybody's projects or what? LOL. He seems to be the DVXuser Inside Man with the plan.

Mark Johnson
02-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Also, is Kholi a part of everybody's projects or what? LOL. He seems to be the DVXuser Inside Man with the plan.

Kholi is one of the reasons we live on the West Coast. The guy really is one of the sharper knives in the drawer out here and I only wish we'd see him put in some serious time to shoot an entry of his own. Maybe next fest ???? Lord knows he has enough favors to call in that he can assemble his own dream team crew. I can certainly promise that Fat Monster will be there if he ever needs us.

Same goes for Geoff, of course. Now, that suckah we REALLY owe big time. You just call, big boy, and we are at your service.

Aaron Marshall
02-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Very good production Geoff. Your cinematography always impresses me. It feels like a cinematic experience. You're able to shoot in some of the most mundane settings (apartments) and make it feel rich and exciting. The acting was of a good quality. If there is one thing I would have done differently, it would have been not having the girl wear makeup when she first wakes up in the morning. It really caught my attention, but it's no big deal at all.

I look forward to our future collaborations.

Ted Arabian
02-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Wow. Geoff! I saved your film for last... I always save my dessert for last!

Really well done film. I loved the way you shot this with all of the visual and sound cuts. Very effective.

And you cinematography is incredible. Stunning man. I envy your talents.

Your framing and composition is always perfect. The edits were edgy and carefully executed.

I liked your use of handheld in this. It was always done so well.

The story was wonderful however I thought that the girl had died. I was even thinking as I watched, how wonderful she did of releasing all of the muscles in her face. She looked completely lifeless.

Maybe that is what you wanted us to feel. And maybe any other choice would project the ending for us. Because you certainly got me at the end.

I was sad that this guy died to save his love. It is really touching.

The score worked great. Sound design was nearly flawless. (One tiny glitch at 3:29) I only mention it because the rest was spot-on perfect!

I would like to have known what the girl had fallen ill from. Did I miss this? I had thought that the guy running in the beginning was some hoodlum who took her out... Of course, I later learned that not to be the case.

Geoff, you have some serious talents, man. Really.... outstanding entry. I feel like I am watching you develop before my eyes!

Great, great, great!

Best to you!

-Ted

Marlon Ladd
02-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Kholi is one of the reasons we live on the West Coast. The guy really is one of the sharper knives in the drawer out here and I only wish we'd see him put in some serious time to shoot an entry of his own. Maybe next fest ???? Lord knows he has enough favors to call in that he can assemble his own dream team crew. I can certainly promise that Fat Monster will be there if he ever needs us.

Same goes for Geoff, of course. Now, that suckah we REALLY owe big time. You just call, big boy, and we are at your service.
That's cool that you guys got that west coast connect. I got nada out here, but it's all good. Will probably be moving soon anyway.

Also, I think it would be cool to see a Kholi entry.

Kholi
02-19-2008, 11:42 AM

I'm purposely quoting this so you can't delete it when it comes time.

LoL.

When the time's right, though.

Geoff_R
02-19-2008, 08:42 PM
...Also, is Kholi a part of everybody's projects or what? LOL. He seems to be the DVXuser Inside Man with the plan.
'Inside Man'...Kholi hides on your set till wrap then he sneaks out with all your dailies...

Geoff_R
02-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Very good production Geoff. Your cinematography always impresses me. It feels like a cinematic experience. You're able to shoot in some of the most mundane settings (apartments) and make it feel rich and exciting. The acting was of a good quality. If there is one thing I would have done differently, it would have been not having the girl wear makeup when she first wakes up in the morning. It really caught my attention, but it's no big deal at all.

I look forward to our future collaborations.
Sounds like a good plan, Aaron :) Thanks for checking out the film!

Geoff_R
02-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Wow. Geoff! I saved your film for last... I always save my dessert for last!

Really well done film. I loved the way you shot this with all of the visual and sound cuts. Very effective.

And you cinematography is incredible. Stunning man. I envy your talents.

Your framing and composition is always perfect. The edits were edgy and carefully executed.

I liked your use of handheld in this. It was always done so well.

The story was wonderful however I thought that the girl had died. I was even thinking as I watched, how wonderful she did of releasing all of the muscles in her face. She looked completely lifeless.

Maybe that is what you wanted us to feel. And maybe any other choice would project the ending for us. Because you certainly got me at the end.

I was sad that this guy died to save his love. It is really touching.

The score worked great. Sound design was nearly flawless. (One tiny glitch at 3:29) I only mention it because the rest was spot-on perfect!

I would like to have known what the girl had fallen ill from. Did I miss this? I had thought that the guy running in the beginning was some hoodlum who took her out... Of course, I later learned that not to be the case.

Geoff, you have some serious talents, man. Really.... outstanding entry. I feel like I am watching you develop before my eyes!

Great, great, great!

Best to you!

-Ted

Thanks for checking out the film, Ted! Glad you enjoyed it. As for the girl, I didn't want to expand on what she became ill with; I didn't think it was necessary for the story. I actually had a voice conversation with the male and a doctor on the phone where some more stuff is explained, but took it out last minute. I felt that all we needed to know was that something was wrong and she needed some kind of medical treatment.

Geoff_R
02-19-2008, 08:49 PM
...Also, I think it would be cool to see a Kholi entry.
Second that...more Kholi entries rather.

Ted Arabian
02-19-2008, 09:07 PM
for the girl, I didn't want to expand on what she became ill with; I didn't think it was necessary for the story.

No, you are right... it wasn't necessary. I was just curious. She just seem to take ill so unexpectedly and it was such an integral part of the story.

Again, WOW! Really enjoy your work!

Jack Daniel Stanley
02-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Geoff, great work sir.

Of course this had a great look to it. Also a very nice feel. You captured and represented a lot of moments truthfully and I felt like I was really there. The cast was also great. Each of them had a great look. This is nice bit of run and gun, and like Jason Ramsey’s film, though in different way, should serve as an example to all the filmmakers out there who make more excuses than movies. You just went out and did a bit of a bigger story and pulled it off with nothing but ingenuity and talent.

So I enjoyed it very much. I’m not sure I 100% got the story the first time through, but pretty sure I got there the second time through.

Ok. Here’s my blow by blow while watching the second time.

Nice kinetic opening. I’ve been wanting to do / shoot a chase like this for a while too. Like the opening of Narc. Anyway nice feel to it.

Nice looking actors … not just attractive but interesting on camera. All the handheld stuff inside works pretty well and gives it an intimate feel and isn’t too over the top.
Scene’s played nicely an simply too.

Some CC to whiten the walls in the shot of her on the I.V. drip would be nice to say that it’s the hospital. The warm look suggests it’s there apartment. I’d try to cool that shot off a lot and match it to the hospital hallway.

Maybe if I wasn’t a filmmaker I wouldn’t be having this response but I could tell that if the world ended outside the frame … like the absence of an actor to play the doctor who says “Mr. Williams” … I think this was run and gun? And a very nice job at it, but even getting a crew member or random person walking by to don a lab coat and walk into frame, even if it’s just their shoulder in that frame, helps ground the world in the same reality of the intimate domestic scene in the bedroom.

On the other hand, the bank robbery was “STOLEN” quite nicely. Very effective to just jump past that especially since its not relevant to the story. I might do a bank thing and steal this idea as well. ☺

The black cop. Looks like another detective. But he’s taking notes like a beat cop who’d be securing the scene. So it pushed me out a bit … as in where are the rest of the police. I would not have had the other two plain clothes guys show up and would’ve had police sirens approaching instead. Not much else you can pull off without people cars and costumes.

One thing I’ve always wanted to do … you would have needed at least one police uniform and a couple of white painter suits with respirator masks … is to reposition the same CSI’s in the same shot and then composite the shot together to make a crime scene. Maybe park a dark colored car so it’s front bumper is in the foreground of the shot … dunno.

Again great looking film, great feel to it, and nicely played by the cast.

Geoff_R
02-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Jack, I see what you're saying about the black detective appearing as a beat cop...bad move on my part :) And I wish I had gotten a locked down shot of the final crime scene, it wouldn't have been that hard to move and recostume 2 or 3 actors and then composite them all together (along with one coplike car and using a similar process, make it look like 3 or 4 squads). Perhaps I'll use that technique for the next one.

Good idea about whitening those walls in the hospital scene; it is actually the same apartment; we just ran fish tank tubes with water to simulate an IV drip. A blue/whitish tint would definitely help.

Thanks for the in depth feedback. It's much appreciated!

Jack Daniel Stanley
02-22-2008, 08:58 PM
... And I wish I had gotten a locked down shot of the final crime scene, it wouldn't have been that hard to move and recostume 2 or 3 actors and then composite them all together (along with one coplike car and using a similar process, make it look like 3 or 4 squads). Perhaps I'll use that technique for the next one....

...perhaps we can make a shot like that together one day :thumbsup:

Kholi
02-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Yeah, give us a break: We almost got into a battle royale with some street thugs! (no joke).

=P

Geoff_R
02-22-2008, 09:03 PM
...perhaps we can make a shot like that together one day :thumbsup:
Hey, I'm down for sure :)

Geoff_R
02-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah, give us a break: We almost got into a battle royale with some street thugs! (no joke).

=P
Yea, they wanted to try holding the camera...in the back of my mind I was thinking, "glad I didn't safety tape the 15" steel rods protruding from the front of the SGpro..."

Kholi
02-22-2008, 09:07 PM
I was thinkin' the SAME thing. Ugh. That pissed me off so bad, man. Sign on AIM! And tell me what's up with the shoot!

Bryce A
02-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Hey, just a quick and late review! Liked the piece. I'm sure others have said the cinematography is excellent and so on. Overall it's very competent and very solid. My only beef is the script and the length. It seemed like neither the emotional investment nor the twist justified the length of the film. But that's just me.
Otherwise, the film kicks ass and you know it.

Geoff_R
02-23-2008, 12:52 AM
Hey, just a quick and late review! Liked the piece. I'm sure others have said the cinematography is excellent and so on. Overall it's very competent and very solid. My only beef is the script and the length. It seemed like neither the emotional investment nor the twist justified the length of the film. But that's just me.
Otherwise, the film kicks ass and you know it.
Thanks for taking time to check out the film. Appreciate your thoughts.

jojopop
02-23-2008, 01:47 AM
Geoff, first off, I love the title. I really love the title.

With that out of the way, I gotta say this piece rocked. I'm personally a fan of fractured narratives and oftentimes they can be very difficult to pull off well. Here, though, I was sold. The editing was solid - sucked me in and kept the tension going.

The one thing that actually pulled me out of the pic was the cop giving chase. Something about him seemed off... I'm not sure if it was his performance or his appearance or maybe just a combination of both, but he just didn't work for me.

That aside, great friggin' job. Heritage was a very kick ass piece and I'm glad the ass kicking hasn't stopped.

Geoff_R
02-23-2008, 07:00 AM
Geoff, first off, I love the title. I really love the title.

With that out of the way, I gotta say this piece rocked. I'm personally a fan of fractured narratives and oftentimes they can be very difficult to pull off well. Here, though, I was sold. The editing was solid - sucked me in and kept the tension going.

The one thing that actually pulled me out of the pic was the cop giving chase. Something about him seemed off... I'm not sure if it was his performance or his appearance or maybe just a combination of both, but he just didn't work for me.

That aside, great friggin' job. Heritage was a very kick ass piece and I'm glad the ass kicking hasn't stopped.
Thanks for checking it out, glad you enjoyed it :thumbsup:

flimflamfilms
03-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Ghosts for Heroes definitely deserved the recognition for cinematography. Good story and brilliant images. Cheers.

Geoff_R
03-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Ghosts for Heroes definitely deserved the recognition for cinematography. Good story and brilliant images. Cheers.
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

wicket
05-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Out of curiosity, what was your one light? Did you use a follow focus or were you pulling and hand holding at the same time?

Geoff_R
05-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Out of curiosity, what was your one light? Did you use a follow focus or were you pulling and hand holding at the same time?
arri 650 I believe, maybe a 1k, that plus available light from windows and such. No FF, just pulling focus by hand, something I'm accustomed to.

Troy Ruff
07-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Hey man, it was great meeting you here at AOF. Great job with the camera work, Super.

Good luck

J.R. Hudson
08-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Hey Geoff

I don't know why I missed this one.

Loved it. I realy enjoyed the use of light in your shots; exposures all seemed motivated (using sillouettes) ...

Everything seemed to really come together on this!

Well done !