PDA

View Full Version : JVC HD200U Pros/Cons?

mdslammer
01-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Gentlemen,

With the new price drop for the JVC GY-HD200U ($5,499.00 @ B & H), I'm seriously considering purchasing this camera.

Does anyone have this camera (or have you used it extensively)? If so, can you please tell me how you like it, any drawbacks with this camera, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Mark Dalzell / Sin City Productions
Las Vegas, NV

Capt Quirk
01-30-2008, 07:10 PM
I can't give any HD200 specifics to you, but when dealing with JVC, go for the extended warranty. You'll likely need it. Other than some defects, I like my HD100. I just really wish they had an affordable rear focus control. You can buy them for most any other camera pretty reasonable, but the price shoots up towards $800 for the Fuji lens.

mdslammer
02-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Capt Quirk,

Thanks for taking time to reply. Could you possibly be a little more specific when you say "You'll likely need it. Other than some defects".

What issues have you had with your HD100?

Thanks.

Mark

Barry_Green
02-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Click on Capt Quirk's name and go to his profile, then click on "find more posts by" and you'll see his history with dealing with JVC.

Capt Quirk
02-01-2008, 02:30 PM
I think that's Barry's way of politely asking that I not rehash all of it :)

Barry_Green
02-01-2008, 03:27 PM
No, I was just trying to save you the effort. If you want to summarize here to save Mark the effort of searching, you can do that as well. Feel free to proceed as best you can to assist one of our members in making their $6,000 decision.

Capt Quirk
02-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Cool. The first camera I bought, had an odd glitch, every few minutes, there was a splash of red that filled roughly 11 frames. This happened throught several tapes, and the camera was replaced almost immediately. The replacement cam worked great... until about 6 weeks out of warranty.

The flip out LCD just stopped working, you could almost make out an image if pointed at full light. After hours of trying to speak to a tech, I would be happy to talk to anyone that wouldn't immediately send me into another queue hell. I was even given a separate number to reach JVC Pro, which turned out to be a phone sex recording. Long story short, it turned out to be a loose connector, and they originally wanted $180 to fix it. But I got them to cover it under warranty, since the cam had less than 50 hours on it... after almost 2 months, it was resolved. Whew!

Long story even shorter, I think the cam has wonderful capabilities right out of the box, but there are bugs in some. If you are lucky, they will manifest early, and JVC will jump on it under their "Satisfied Customer" program. After that, it becomes a real struggle.

mdslammer
02-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the in depth description Capt Quirk. I'm going to check out an HD-250 next week at a local dealer.
I'm not interested in the 250 but it's identical in size, weight etc. so I can see how it feels and if I really like the
camera enough to purchase it. I will bring these issues to their attention.

**Do you still have your HD-100, is it fixed, are you happy with the end result the camera produces, did you get a rear focus control
and is there any footage of yours that I could check out?**

Barry, thanks for being supportive. The reasons I'm considering the JVC HD-200 are, the price drop for one, it's the only
pro camcorder I know of (under 10K) that has not only an LCD but interchangeable lense, and
I've seen footage from the HD-110 from a fellow student at CSN and it looks spectacular. I only wish the HVX-200 had interchangeable lense.
Thanks to you both for your time and expertise.

Best.

Mark

lawriejaffa
02-02-2008, 08:50 AM
I think the HD110 or 250 (wowee) are such pretty camera's, very beautiful aesthetically (ok if that sounds weird) and im not surprised they like so many in their range produce great images - though the ergonomics and look rank very very highly in my book.

Capt Quirk
02-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Right now, the HD250 is a great deal, pretty much the same price as what I spent on my HD100 last year. Bastidges. In the end I got my cam back, it is fixed, although I haven't used it lately. My PC is going south, and I can't capture anything right now. I don't have much up right now, but if you don't mind a crappy flash compressed version, http://video-alchemy.com/florida.swf .

mdslammer
02-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Capt,

Nice promo for Florida. Good production value, nice shots, music was very appropriate, nice cutting.
I'm sure the uncompressed footage is even more appealing. Thanks for the link.

lawriejaffa, thanks for taking time to post and your comments as well.

Best.

Mark / Sin City Productions
Las Vegas, NV
www.markdalzell.com

Barry_Green
02-02-2008, 11:03 AM
, it's the only pro camcorder I know of (under 10K) that has not only an LCD but interchangeable lense, and

That's about to change. Well, first there's the XL-H1, so don't forget that, but also Sony's about to introduce two HDV models that have interchangeable lenses -- using, IINM, the same lens mount as the JVC. I think their price points are supposed to be $7k and $10k. And they'll have rolling-shutter CMOS sensors so... bah. But, just letting you know there's more models coming in that price bracket.

Then, of course, there's NAB in April. If you don't have to buy now, don't buy now, wait and see what fun stuff is coming out -- Red Scarlet, perhaps? But if you do need to buy now, the HD200 is the only one at its price point that looks like it does, and has an interchangeable lens.

mdslammer
02-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Barry,

As usual, always great advice. I used the XL-H1 for a class last year and though it was a really nice HD camera,
it doesn't have a traditional LCD screen but it does have a 2.4 viewfinder. This isn't a really big deal seeing I try
and use a monitor for most shoots but there's always the run and gun or hand held style where a true
LCD screen helps.

I'm not really a Sony guy but I will investigate the models you listed. Haven't found too much on Red Scarlett other
than they will be previewing it at NAB in April.

I'm not in a rush and I plan on attending NAB seeing it's in my (and formally yours) backyard. I was just doing some investigating before hand.

Again, thanks for your time and help.

Regards.

Mark

marco0782
02-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I messed around with the new Sony HVR-Z7U at Sundance and it was pretty impressive. The camera body is TINY and it comes with a compact flash recorder in case you don't want to record to tape. Also the LCD screen and viewfinder are super high-res. The LCD is comparable to the EX1's screen but the viewfinder is significantly better than the EX1's.

As Barry said it is a CMOS, and 1/3" to be exact so I don't think it has as much sensitivity as the EX1.

mdslammer
02-04-2008, 11:25 AM
marco,

Does the Sony HVR-Z7U have interchangeable lense feature?

I'm not quite sure about the CMOS either.

Mark

Barry_Green
02-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Z7U has interchangeable lenses and rolling-shutter CMOS sensors. Also is HDV tape, but with the ability to also record to CompactFlash.

dustino
02-22-2008, 07:09 AM
I am so glad that this forum exists. I was very close to investing in a Z7U, even though I'm always skeptical Sony to be honest, before reading this thread. I was willing to live with the shortcomings of HDV but was totally ignorant of the rolling shutter issue on CMOS sensors. AAARGGG! I read Barry's article on the matter and, once again, DVXuser saved my ass. Thanks!

Still hunting for the perfect HD camcorder under 7K. I'll continue the broken record by stating my fear of P2 for a documentary workflow (at least not a low budget, often one man band doc). I think the HVX is a phenomenal camera, and I would love to stay in the Panny family, put I just don't think P2 is for everyone. Wish I could wait until NAB, but I have to make a purchase within the next week or two.

Again, though, thanks for this forum. That rolling shutter stuff sounds like a potential nightmare for my shooting needs and I was "this close" to making the purchase.

Tangles
03-24-2008, 10:40 PM
I think the JVC's had a few problems with the 101's. I had my camera replaced 3 times first up. After the 111's came out, nothing has gone wrong. They run perfectly. JVC are pretty good to deal with. Better than some I've dealt with. The replaced it under warranty when it was 6 weeks out of it? That's good customer service. May have taken a while, but you saved nearly 200 bucks. I'd definatly buy more JVC's if I had the cash. I'd even frame one. Hopefully they can bring out a 1080p one soon, cause that would be INSANE!

Evro
04-01-2008, 05:01 PM
In terms of a professional camera feel, ergonomics & handling the JVC Pro HD series simply has it all over the competition. Not only do these cameras sit properly on your shoulder but you also have a real ENG lens in your hands, not servos linked by "soggy lettuce" as Barry G. puts it. However if you are willing to sacrifice ergonomics and JVCs superb 24P film look, then you can go for the Canon XL-H1/XH-A1 which have the best resolution & colour rendition IMHO. As far as Sony goes; after playing with the PMW-EX1, I found it to be very plastic in it's feel and construction and I doubt it would hold up to regular abuse shooting weddings.

Among my ageing fleet of DVXs, I have two Canon XH-A1s & a JVC 200U, all cams are great at what they do, which one is right however depends on personal preference. Otherwise just get several models and you have all bases covered.

Good luck!!

FourFourtyNine
10-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Dell : JVC America JVC GY-HD110U 1.11MP Professional Widescreen HD Camcorder w/Fujinon ProHD Lens : Digital Cameras & Digital... (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Camcorders/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A1193281)

I got my DVX100B from Dell around two years ago. I was thinkin on jumping on this, but hearing about there glitches and the fact that it's out of stock... I dunno 'bout that...

They are also selling the XH-A1 but its more expensive than B&H is selling it for... ????

I know the A1 doesnt record on Vegas 8, but does anybody know is the JVC can?