PDA

View Full Version : Finally some HPX 3000 Footage for you all

Spinflight
01-29-2008, 03:23 AM
Shot this at the P2 First Hand Seminar at Birns and Sawyer in Hollywood tonight. The Camera is simply amazing. The AVC Intra Codec is extremely clean. Full Raster 1920x1080. Very noise free. Lens was a 28mm DigiPrime. Not sure what the gamma or gain setting was.

Imported the clips into FCP using Log and Transfer. Transcoded on the way in to Apple's ProRes HQ. FCP 6.0.2 can't seem to edit in native AVC intra yet. (Or maybe I missed something.)

Some color correction was done in FCP just using the 3-way. Brought down the saturation a bit and brought the highlights and midtones up. The blacks down a smidge.

If you're a die hard Panasonic fan, you'll love this camera. Buy one of these and make yourself a movie.

The music bed is a song called "No Air". It's a song we recorded with Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown.

Enjoy.

stream: http://www.spinflightstudios.com/hpx3000test

download: http://www.spinflightstudios.com/hpx3000test/panasonic_hpx3000_test.mov

(92.7 Megs)

Noel Evans
01-29-2008, 03:51 AM
Hi mate. Have you got a direct link I can dl from? May also save your bandwidth also. Cheers

Spinflight
01-29-2008, 03:53 AM
Link updated.

Kaku Ito
01-29-2008, 05:57 AM
Looks very impressing.

I wonder if new HPM110 will have function to record from 2100 and 3000 to do variable frames.

Brad Neal
01-29-2008, 06:04 AM
Man, that is some clean footage. I could see no noise in those really low light shots.

Did you just bring your own P2 card and shoot to that?

How much card space does that beast gobble up per minute? I'll bet it's a ton.

Thanks for sharing.

-Brad

dolph2000
01-29-2008, 06:35 AM
did you use fixed lens

Kholi
01-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Ouch man wtf This footage BURNED me.

Omg. Please, higher resolution? 720p at least? Megaupload.com

This stuff is SO clean.

Is the actual Intra footage cleaner? I do see noise in the darker shots, but not sure if that's because you moved it to ProRes(HQ) or what?

Spinflight
01-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Man, that is some clean footage. I could see no noise in those really low light shots.

Did you just bring your own P2 card and shoot to that?

How much card space does that beast gobble up per minute? I'll bet it's a ton.

Thanks for sharing.

-Brad

I had five 4 gig cards in it. The camera showed I could record for 25 minutes in high quality AVC intra.

Spinflight
01-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Ouch man wtf This footage BURNED me.

Omg. Please, higher resolution? 720p at least? Megaupload.com

This stuff is SO clean.

Is the actual Intra footage cleaner? I do see noise in the darker shots, but not sure if that's because you moved it to ProRes(HQ) or what?

It might be the ProRes but not sure. I'd love to edit this in it's native codec to see the difference. Some of it might be the web compression. The footage straight out of the camera on the big 50 inch monitors was so clean I wasn't used to seeing images like that. This camera shook me.

Spinflight
01-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Looks very impressing.

I wonder if new HPM110 will have function to record from 2100 and 3000 to do variable frames.

I'm wondering that myself. That deck paired with any sub $8,000 camera spitting out HDSDI might be a deadly combination.

Seamus McFlannel
01-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Looks great. Thanks for posting, it's nice to finally see some HPX3000 footage.
Since I'm used to the HVX, I'll probably use this for my next feature (I'll rent ) as opposed to the Red.

aravance
01-31-2008, 01:22 AM
How did you use a 28mm DigiPrime? Did you have to use the Angenieux HD lens adapter?

Spinflight
01-31-2008, 02:50 AM
How did you use a 28mm DigiPrime? Did you have to use the Angenieux HD lens adapter?

No need. You're probably thinking of the Master Primes.

Noel Evans
01-31-2008, 04:09 AM
spinflight images were tack sharp. The Zeiss glass looks nice. Id love to see some images coming from the Digizoom. Ive seen the Fujinon HAe10x10 (10-100) Super Cine zoom in action, which was pretty nice also.

Tim Pipher
01-31-2008, 10:26 AM
Here's more HPX3000 footage:

http://www.digitalcinemasociety.org/Popup.php?video=HPX3000segment2.mov

Trapp
02-01-2008, 01:33 PM
I would love to know how to get that kind of quality....very nice.

k2director
02-20-2008, 01:51 AM
Who knew a bunch of middle-aged guys could look so damned good!

I thought the HPX3000 had the same sensitivity as the HVX200 (or in that neighborhood....and the HVX is often reviled for its low sensitivity). That showroom seemed pretty dim, shouldn't there have been more noise?

tommetass
02-28-2008, 08:46 AM
That looked really nice:)

I'm wondering though.. is this 24p? and what shutter setting is it?

1/24?

Filip Staresinic
03-01-2008, 04:21 AM
I wonder why would anybody buy HPX3000 for 40K for film purposes when there is RED?

TimurCivan
03-01-2008, 05:21 AM
Yes... Yes i would.

the HPX3000 presents a flexible camera solution.

You can shoot a film, them turn around and shoot ENG, an event, or ( overkill) a wedding. ITs a flexible broadcast camera. Good for narritive, and ENG. Red is a "digital film" camera.

Filip Staresinic
03-01-2008, 05:37 AM
Yes... Yes i would.

the HPX3000 presents a flexible camera solution.

You can shoot a film, them turn around and shoot ENG, an event, or ( overkill) a wedding. ITs a flexible broadcast camera. Good for narritive, and ENG. Red is a "digital film" camera.

Yes, In this case I agree with you, that's why I said 'for film purposes'.

Charlie Anderson
03-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Imported the clips into FCP using Log and Transfer. Transcoded on the way in to Apple's ProRes HQ. FCP 6.0.2 can't seem to edit in native AVC intra yet. (Or maybe I missed something.)
I'd be interested to know how you transcoded on the go, I'm working on a feature in april with the HPX3000 and I get to handle all the P2 transfers.

My initial idea was to just copy the cards over and transfer later, but I might actually be able to capture on the fly.

Shoot me an email if you get a chance, would love to pick your brain about this:
charlieanderson@stratatekstudios.com

Thanks!

Spinflight
03-15-2008, 03:09 AM
I'd be interested to know how you transcoded on the go, I'm working on a feature in april with the HPX3000 and I get to handle all the P2 transfers.

Thanks!
FCP will allow you to pick in your preferences which Prores it will transcode to when you import from the cards. Regular or HQ. As far as I know it won't import in its native acquisition codec at the moment.

Jan_Crittenden
03-15-2008, 03:58 AM
I wonder why would anybody buy HPX3000 for 40K for film purposes when there is RED?

You would do this because 1. in order to get a fully working Red, you will spend about the same amount, 2. the workflow is an established workflow, 3. the need for color correction is limited as much can be done on the camera, so if you do not have the budget for CC @ $400 per hour, this is a good choice, 4. It is a CCD not a CMOS imager so if you want to do motion tracking, the geometry of objects will be very predictable. 5. It is a self-contained unit that allows for 1080P/24PN.

There are probably others but those are the first off the top of my head.

And these web images don't even begin to show how beautiful this footage is.

Best,

jan

Seamus McFlannel
03-15-2008, 06:05 AM
Jan,
Thanks for your comments. I'm looking at the HPX3000 for an upcoming feature. (I just finished a feature on the HVX200, and it looks great)
But why doesn't Panasonic post some full size footage somewhere? The tiny clip posted in this thread looks good, but it doesn't really give a good example.
Thanks,
Seamus

luthervig
04-05-2008, 08:36 PM
WOW!! Beautiful! I'm a director so my "DP Talk" is rusty so forgive me in advance. My feature is going into prep. And up till now I was planing on shooting on the HVX200 with a 35mm adapter. But now I don't know. How did you feel about the lens you were working with? It seems like you were able to pull off shallow depth of field really well. How does the AVCI 100mb/sec DVCPro codec bode for desktop (at home) posting? My main concerns are the best possible aquistion while still being able to post completely at home with the latest greatest MAC. Any info is greatly appreciated!

MDCFILMS
04-06-2008, 04:10 AM
That footage was hilarious. That guy waving, and that one white headed old guy with the crazy back lit hair.

Erik Olson
04-06-2008, 08:17 AM
You would do this because 1. in order to get a fully working Red, you will spend about the same amount, 2. the workflow is an established workflow, 3. the need for color correction is limited as much can be done on the camera, so if you do not have the budget for CC @ $400 per hour, this is a good choice, 4. It is a CCD not a CMOS imager so if you want to do motion tracking, the geometry of objects will be very predictable. 5. It is a self-contained unit that allows for 1080P/24PN.

There are probably others but those are the first off the top of my head.

And these web images don't even begin to show how beautiful this footage is.

Best,

jan

Yap. Background plates in a rolling shutter could be a real bear when you start panning the camera and your tracking markers start to lag. Which they will.

e

dantewaters
05-22-2008, 09:56 AM
You know I really don't like to limit a camera and say that it can only do this.... (not saying you guys have said that), but at the end of the day it's all about your work flow.

I suppose to term would be it works best in this arena. It's kinda like saying a 40D is mainly for anything but print or posters (where that could be true due to it's image sizes), that does not mean it can't be pushed and then perfected. All in all like and things are what we make them out to be.

Yes, In this case I agree with you, that's why I said 'for film purposes'.