PDA

View Full Version : EX1 and Brevis

thefilmaddict
01-27-2008, 10:04 PM
I shot some footage today using the EX1 and the Brevis35 adapter with the flip module.

I was pleased with the results. I can't post full resolution, but you can watch a H264 Quicktime version at:

http://www.morrisbrothersfilms.com/ex1andbreavis.html

ryan brown
01-28-2008, 10:07 AM
49 views and zero responses?

Looks fantastic to me. Good choice of not too shallow DOF...

RichardVClark
01-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Cool. I'm still trying to find a good PP that will give my EX1 more of a film look

lawriejaffa
01-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Yah its cool and pretty but all soo philip bloomish ;)

I want to see some EX action scenes! These slow melancholy pans of old men and empty swing parks makes me feel like im back at film university watching student arthouse films!

The footage itself is lovely tho!

thefilmaddict
01-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the comments!

I am still getting the hang of the Brevis. I am not ready for an all out action shoot (not yet)!

To be compared to Philip Bloom is a compliment. I think he does some great stuff.

I shot some more stuff today. I will put some of it up soon. I will try to make a bigger file for better viewing.

lawriejaffa
01-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Well it was really a criticism (phils stuff looks great - no doubt) but how many EX vids of shots on the sticks and ultra slow pans do we need ;)

Lets see some movement and action! Spice it up a bit etc :) Oh and congrats on the Brevis I have one too, love it to bits - a great and easy to use tool (well maybe not to master!)

thefilmaddict
01-28-2008, 03:38 PM
You have a Brevis, that's great! So when are we going to see some action footage from you? I can't wait!

lawriejaffa
01-29-2008, 11:12 AM
touché!

thefilmaddict
01-29-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm joking. I would love to see some action shots myself, but action flicks take more time and require actors (and planning). I shot scenics because its a way for me to get familiar with my equipment. No one stands around over my shoulder. I can take my time and the subject is not running around. I think that it does take a very good camera person to run around and shoot moving objects that they can't control with limited depth of field. Those guys that shot/shoot documentaries on film are very good. Most video cameras stay sharp when you are zoomed out.

I will say that the Sony LCD is great. I think that I nailed the focus every time just using the LCD. It's pretty sharp. It makes you more mobile IMHO.

thefilmaddict
01-31-2008, 06:31 AM
I posted a bigger file.

Lenilenapi
02-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Pretty nice looking stuff Thanks
I'm curious - how far zoomed in on the EX are you and what fstop do you have on the EX?

I'm curious about soft cornering on adapters with the EX and this stuff looks by & large pretty sharp. A little vignetting on the left in at leats one shot but not all of them.

I'm just about to try some tests myself.
No snow here though - just tons of rain !

Lenny Levy

AndrewGentle
02-05-2008, 11:20 PM
A little vignetting on the left in at leats one shot but not all of them.

Yeah, I noticed that too, how come it was purple? You'd think it would just be black.
Great work, it reminded me of Bloom's work too!

-Andrew

philip bloom
02-09-2008, 04:38 AM
very nice stuff

thefilmaddict
02-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

I've shot with the Brevis twice so far. It's quick and easy to use and it works great with the EX1.

Both times I got a little vignetting in the corners of the image, but it does not show up on the Sony LCD screen or on any of my HD TV's. It doesn't bother me that much because my main audience does not watch my material on the web. The best way to view high resolution HD footage is on a big screen tv. It looks amazing on my 50 inch.

To get rid of the crap in the corners, I would have to do more tests and figure out how much further I need to zoom in to get a clean image for the web OR just crop my files for the web or blow them up slightly. Sorry, but I was not smart enough to record my zoom settings. I will take better notes next time. If anyone out there owns an EX1 and a Brevis and knows the magic zoom number, please share.

I used my 55mm nikon lens again. I like it, but I want to get an 85mm next. Does it make sense to get a wide angle lens or should I just shoot my wide shots with the stock lens?

kubalsky
02-10-2008, 03:37 AM
Beautiful footage. Thanks for sharing. Its inspiring to see such cinematic depth produced with these adaptors.
I look forward to getting either a brevis or letus for my ex1 when my credit card recovers.

Noel Evans
02-10-2008, 06:59 PM
These slow melancholy pans of old men and empty swing parks makes me feel like im back at film university watching student arthouse films!

The footage itself is lovely tho!

Heh, Im guilty at times also. But it is a good way to test a new set up, or just practice basic composition.

I thought the brevis looked pretty good, seemed sharp enough, but hard to tell. Try shooting some people, playgrounds are a bit boring to watch.

thefilmaddict
02-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Noel,

You are a bit boring to watch!

thefilmaddict
02-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Just kidding.

philip bloom
02-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Heh, Im guilty at times also. But it is a good way to test a new set up, or just practice basic composition.

I thought the brevis looked pretty good, seemed sharp enough, but hard to tell. Try shooting some people, playgrounds are a bit boring to watch.

unless you go for the eerie look, swings swinging without people, roundabouts spinning. very effective.

Noel is actual not boring to watch, I subscribe to his webcam. Bit raunchy for my tastes but as long as it makes him money!

thefilmaddict
02-11-2008, 03:57 PM
I'll take your word on that, Mr. Bloom.

When I try to go to Noels website I get:

This Account Has Been Suspended

Where do I see his wild side?

philip bloom
02-11-2008, 04:09 PM
oversubscribed i expect! You should see what he can do with balloon animals!

by the way "Does you dog bite"? Name the film

thefilmaddict
02-11-2008, 04:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXn2QVipK2o

philip bloom
02-11-2008, 04:37 PM
just testing. it's my fav clouseau gag from my favourite clouseau film

thefilmaddict
02-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Peter Sellers was brilliant.

Perhaps even insane.

They don't make them like that anymore.

Here is an action clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO2RK34DhOQ&feature=related

Sorry I did not shoot it on the EX1!

I can only shoot graves, playgrounds and rail road tracks!

philip bloom
02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
i met him as ak kid! Massive lifelong goon fan. dream come true. he was on holiday in south of france. not very friendly!! still love him. Learnt a wise lesson that day. Never meet your idols. Only Harrison Ford withstood it for me!

thefilmaddict
02-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Very cool!

I am jealous.

The Pink Panther films were a unique mixture of adult and silly humor (the early ones anyway).

He was the perfect man for the role.

thefilmaddict
02-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Next you are going to tell me that you met Kubrick and Hitchcock!

Dennis Wood
02-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Every time I see some of the EX1 footage like this I'm utterly impressed with how sharp it is. Is this in Canada by any chance? That snow looks mighty familiar.

Matt Jeppsen over at FreshDV just put part 2 of their review up on the web, and it looks like Z71 to Z75 is your sweet spot. Once you go beyond that the charts show increasing edge softness. We've got a tuning guide for the EX1 being updated over at the Cinevate forum "hot off the presses" section which may help with your image tuning.

thefilmaddict
02-12-2008, 05:15 PM
I love my Brevis. Thanks for your help.