PDA

View Full Version : Is my Z1u backfocus out?

NewYorkLion
01-25-2008, 09:05 PM
OK,

I'm just curious. Am I the only Z1u owner who's focus sucks on that camera? I'm used to broadcast lenses and the DVX/HVXs where you can push all the way in, pull your focus, the pull out and you are fine anywhere within your zoom range once you have that critical focus.

However, with my Z1u, that is not the case, If i zoom all the way in, focus, and pull out, I am not sharp.

whatsupwiththat? Is that all Z1Us or just mine?

-C

Andreas
01-26-2008, 12:45 AM
Your camera is fine. FX1,Z1 lens does not have backfocus capability, that's all.

best
Andreas

NewYorkLion
01-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Andreas,

I dont think you understand my question. All lenses, even internal ones, need to have a back focus. Sure, on the Fx and z1 you can't actually adjust it, that doesnt mean it isn't there.

My question is weather or not other Z1u owners have the same problem that the camera doesnt remain in focus throughout the range of the zoom, even after you've pushed in and pulled a nice sharp focus.

Andreas
01-27-2008, 01:06 AM
I understand your question and I answered it the best I can. I am sorry to say that you are completely wrong. Not all lenses keep the focus through the entire zoom range. That's a fact. That's not a malfunction, but a choice that the manufacturer made to keep the cost low.

best
Andreas

Huy Vu
01-27-2008, 02:47 AM
I understand your question and I answered it the best I can. I am sorry to say that you are completely wrong. Not all lenses keep the focus through the entire zoom range. That's a fact. That's not a malfunction, but a choice that the manufacturer made to keep the cost low.

No, actually you're wrong. It is critical that cameras with these type of fixed lens have back focus, and the FX1 does indeed have it. I should know, the FX1 was my previous camera. Once you zoom in, focus and zoom out, it stays in focus through the entire zoom range.

It is true that not all lenses have back focus, such as some SLR zoom lenses. But I believe that most, if not all prosumer fixed lense camera have this feature.

Andreas
01-27-2008, 05:18 AM
I own FX1E and once you zoom in , focus and zoom out, your focus is ruined. This argument remind me a thread (several years ago, probably in dvinfo, do a search) where people posted several charts to prove the existence or the lack of focus in Z1. In my opinion all of them appeared soft. Reviews of the camera used to mention the lack of it. Anyhow if the results of your camera suits your needs all is fine. But all that past noise on the issue tells me that there is indeed a problem with Fx1 Z1, backfocus (a term that is not 100% correctly used, but anyhow). For instance I have never heard someone posting doubts in HVX backfocus capabilities before.

Andreas