PDA

View Full Version : Tetris For Two - A Short By Ryan Thomas and George Manatos

RyanT
01-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Update: New grabs and production stills!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/rtk9r2/TetrisForTwo-8.jpg

Synopsis
When a socially awkward college student stumbles upon a way to eavesdrop on his video game loving neighbor, he must find a way into her heart before she catches him in the act.

Could Tetris be the fix all for this relationship, or will he get an S-shaped piece in the back?

Cast

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/rtk9r2/140524-1.jpg
Peter - Peter Lynch

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/rtk9r2/154201-0.jpg
Natalie - Marion Dunham

[He made us sign some sort of Non-Disclosure agreement about his looks and stuff, I don't know. Strange guy.]
"Gill" The Fish - As Himself

Crew
Director - George "Geooooooooooorrgeeeeeeee!" Manatos
Director of Photography - Ryan "Baby Legs" Thomas
1st AC - Huy "I barely know this guy" Vu
Gaffer - Daniel "Lt. Dan" Juenneman
Key Grip - David "Coach" Taylor
Grip - Scott "Hurrah for the internet!" Brackett
Sound Recordist - Alan "I love the movie Enchanted" Chang
Capture Tech/Assistant Editor - Adrienne "Mad Dogg" Garcia
Still Photographer - Mia "Da sis" Thomas

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee10/huandoan/Tetris%20For%20Two/IMG_1970.jpg

Grabs!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/rtk9r2/Still2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/rtk9r2/Still6-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/rtk9r2/Still5-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/rtk9r2/Still7-1.jpg

:cool:

Luis Caffesse
01-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Nice poster!
:thumbsup:

Jason Ramsey
01-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Nice Tagline!

Luis Caffesse
01-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Nice comment Jason!

Jason Ramsey
01-24-2008, 06:38 PM
You too, Luis!

Luis Caffesse
01-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Awesome.

Hopefully Ryan wasn't about to jump back in here and 'reserve' a spot for his BTS stuff.
:)

RyanT
01-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Who said anything about a movie?

I just wanted to make a cool poster. :)

EDIT: I hit the image limit on my first post... :(

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee10/huandoan/Tetris%20For%20Two/IMG_1505.jpg
Our funny snorri-cam

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee10/huandoan/Tetris%20For%20Two/IMG_1695.jpg
Jose, our AD, standing in for a moment. He's really thrilled to be with us.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee10/huandoan/Tetris%20For%20Two/IMG_1705.jpg
We enjoyed stuffing so many people into small spaces.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee10/huandoan/Tetris%20For%20Two/IMG_1828.jpg
Dan, our gaffer, always dresses accordingly.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee10/huandoan/Tetris%20For%20Two/IMG_1675.jpg
I am in action. Ever so awkwardly of course.
I have 213 pictures. I'm sure a few more of them will find their way over here.

Luis Caffesse
01-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Hahahah alright - should we change the title of this thread then?
:evil:

EDITED TO ADD:
Okay okay, I changed it back.

RyanT
01-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Hah, after we finish up with auditions (Next tuesday) then maybe I'll think about upgrading this project from just making a cool poster to making a cool movie.

Let me just say though that Mac Classic Aquariums will be present in this film. Potential for awesomeness? I'd like to think so.

Chris Messineo
01-24-2008, 07:13 PM
I love the poster and the tagline - looking forward to the film.

Yorigos12
01-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Wow. Looks like a great premise. Tetris and Mac Classics are like pb and j. Eternally delicious.

Robert Eldon
01-25-2008, 07:19 PM
This could be interesting.

RyanT
01-26-2008, 12:16 AM
I've added the synopsis if you guys want to check out what this movie is actually about.

GameraCamera
01-27-2008, 12:45 PM
i love how your movie poster lists the crew and not actors GO CAMERA AND LIGHTING!

Jack Daniel Stanley
01-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Nice quirky/hip concept.
I'm into it :beer:

Kyle Stebbins
01-27-2008, 03:33 PM
This is rad. The poster design is f---ing cool and your premise is definitely interesting as hell.

Looking forward to this!

Robbie Comeau
01-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Poster is the best!

RyanT
01-27-2008, 11:06 PM
i love how your movie poster lists the crew and not actors GO CAMERA AND LIGHTING!

Haha, actors....good one man.

RyanT
01-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Oh man. I have just secured the rights to the album of a lifetime.

Everyone will be blown away by the awesomeness of this soundtrack. Is it against the rules to share a sample piece with everyone? I know showing stills from the film is against the rules, but what about music?

Kyle Stebbins
01-28-2008, 07:50 AM
I think you'll be all right.

Ted Arabian
01-28-2008, 07:52 AM
People have posted music clips for other fests.... cue that baby up! Let's hear it!

RyanT
01-28-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm thinking of using this song once it starts to pick up as the final song in my film....

Listen here. (http://www.pleasesendhelp.com/music/Colugo/Music%20for%20people/12%20Reprise.mp3)

All the music is done by this guy named Chris Penrose and is extremely enjoyable. There is little more really to say.

RyanT
01-29-2008, 01:08 AM
Auditions tomorrow. Maybe I can finally put some actors on the poster soon. Wooooooooooo!

It also looks like it will rain this weekend. But only on saturday, so I may switch my day of exteriors to sunday and do the interiors on the rain day. Goooooooooo pre-production!

RyanT
01-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Sorta just finished up with casting. I've got a big to do list and I'm checking things off one at a time.

I just spent 40 dollars at a fish store though...ouch. Gill and Gill Jr. (His understudy) have been acquired though.

seunosewa
01-31-2008, 12:18 AM
I don't like the logline. Feels contrived; like you wrote it after the script.

RyanT
01-31-2008, 12:48 AM
I don't like the logline. Feels contrived; like you wrote it after the script.

Well hopefully then you'll like the script much more, as that's where our real effort has been going. Only time will tell for that one though.

mentatDUKE
01-31-2008, 08:01 AM
Ryan. Tetris is probably the greatest puzzle game ever. Looking forward to seeing how you use it in your story. Good luck with production.

RyanT
02-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Shooting tomorrow....:cry:

We tried to put our camera system together tonight, only to realize that we were missing the 82-72mm step down ring to fit the letus onto the HVX. Something like 20 phone calls later we tracked one down and hopefully it'll show up tomorrow morning. Otherwise, it looks like we'll be shooting our entry on the XH-A1 and the letus. I'm crossing my fingers that we get that step down ring though.

I've finally got the shot list, blocking, as well as the shooting schedules down for tomorrow, so I'm starting to feel a bit better about things. We'll be shooting in the rain though, so I've got the biggest piece of clear visqueen I could find, as well as a bunch of C-Stands and sandbags. Basically, our circus tent making skills will be in full effect tomorrow.

We'll take a bunch of BTS shots too, so look forward to grabs and photos from the shoot tomorrow night.

andreww
02-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Production stills, c-stands and xh-a1's, oh my!

Brandon Rice
02-02-2008, 11:43 AM
I love the poster, and the overall vibe of this thread! Looking forward to your short

RyanT
02-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Haha, filmmaking.

Got the HVX going, that was a nice little surprise.

Just finished up shooting today and we got almost everything we wanted. We're going to go back tomorrow to finish up shooting one of the final scenes, getting CU's and inserts. I'm also thinking about how to speed things up tomorrow and there's a possibility that we'll sort of combine a few scenes, definitely shave like an hour and a half off our shooting schedule.

A friend of ours came along and shot a whole hell of a lot of production stills. I'll try and post those along with some grabs as soon as I get my shooting schedule for tomorrow figured out.

That's all for now. Got a bunch of kooky shots with the 24mm as well as the century wide angle on the HVX. Gotta say...letus extreme <3

sokitumi
02-02-2008, 07:34 PM
woo..! just got back a bit ago from ryan's shoot pt. 1... gotta say, he put together a mean little crew for this one. i think you'll appreciate that when you see what grip and camera were up to. ryan's the first random dvxuser i've gone off and worked for, and after a year of pretty boring editing work it was cool to be on a well-run crew. definitely psyched for tomorrow and the final product.

seunosewa
02-03-2008, 05:20 AM
Nice. Looking forward to the result.

smashedburrito
02-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Hey Ryan, Andrew told me you shot some mean stuff yesterday. I'm pumped to see it.

RyanT
02-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Well, the hard parts over guys. Just finished shooting today and wooooooh. We were like a well oiled machine. I tried to do some things different to keep things running as fast as possible, and I also had a friend of mine come and AD for the day. We ended up finishing under schedule and although we cut a scene, I think the idea of the film is still quite the same.

Got some grabs...I'm starting to CC them in photoshop just a tiny bit, so I'll probably keep adding to that first post throughout the night. Keep an eye out.

smashedburrito
02-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Sweet grabs Ryan. I can't wait to see this one.

RyanT
02-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Production stills!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Nice grabs! Nice equipment...

Good team as well.

Looks like you guys had fun.

Cheers,

Yorigos12
02-04-2008, 04:19 PM
How do we see the production stills?

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Check the first page.

RyanT
02-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Yeah guys, check the first page. 3rd or 4th post down.

RyanT
02-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Just finished the first cut and there is a god. It clocks in at exactly 6 minutes. :grin:

Alan H. Chang
02-05-2008, 02:04 AM
6 minutes?! wow! It seemed like somewhere between 6:30-7:00 minutes long assuming you had to cut, cut, and cut. I'm surprised.

andreww
02-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Length nerds.

RE1000
02-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Can't wait to see this, Ryan.

RyanT
02-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Length nerds.

80's nerd.

Then again, who am I to speak? I'm making a movie about tetris.

Marlon Ladd
02-05-2008, 02:21 PM
This movie sounds real old school. Love the title. Looks like it'll be pretty funny. . .er, uh, this is a comedy, right?

RyanT
02-05-2008, 02:38 PM
This movie sounds real old school. Love the title. Looks like it'll be pretty funny. . .er, uh, this is a comedy, right?

Basically, it'll make you giggle inside, then leave you off warm and fuzzy.

seunosewa
02-05-2008, 11:42 PM
(that means it's not a comedy but a 'feel-good' story!) :)

RyanT
02-06-2008, 12:01 AM
(that means it's not a comedy but a 'feel-good' story!) :)

I don't know about that...gosh. This is tough. Lets just call it a tour de force and be done with it. That sounds like it'll work! :thumbsup:

Jason Ramsey
02-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Looking pretty good, man. So how far from finished are you?

later,
Jason

RyanT
02-06-2008, 02:01 PM
I've got a little bit more cutting to do, then tomorrow we're going to get a few pickups...try and fake some stuff...see how that works. By friday I (hopefully) should have a finished cut with sound design and sweetened audio and all those sorta fixin's.

Anyways. I am most likely wasting time. Time for some more editing...

andreww
02-06-2008, 07:40 PM
ryan's imdb page:

STARmeter: 30% since last week why?

lolzerz

RyanT
02-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Sucker. Now that you've let out the word my starmeter is going to skyrocket. Next thing you know I'll have my own show on VH1 or something. Ryan's Road to Love they'll call it. Basically, move over flavor flav.

I just showed a cut of my film to my sister, who is basically my audience(16 year old girl), and she says after I make a few changes she would give it an 8.5/10. I'd like to think of this as a good thing.

P.S. Anyone need the best AC ever?

RyanT
02-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Some more production stills for you....

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee10/huandoan/Tetris%20For%20Two/IMG_1506.jpg
Alan...our sound guy. He thinks he's hot stuff. Chances are he is.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee10/huandoan/Tetris%20For%20Two/IMG_1861.jpg
Our ever so awesome macintosh classic aquarium.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee10/huandoan/Tetris%20For%20Two/IMG_1969.jpg
Our lead Pete and 1st AC Huy about to snuggle up together on the bed. Pete needed the company in this scene.

Then the grab from that last still....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/rtk9r2/Still1-1.jpg

Fun fun. I'm pretty close to a picture lock...sorta kinda. Pick ups are on saturday. Hopefully everything can get as done as I'd like it to by sunday. Saturday is probably going to be a late night. :)

andreww
02-08-2008, 10:07 AM
that fish tank might be the sexiest thing i've seen in love fest to date, oh baby.

smashedburrito
02-08-2008, 01:59 PM
that fish tank might be the sexiest thing i've seen in love fest to date, oh baby.

You said the same thing about my cameo you two timing...

RyanT
02-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Shot the pickups today, picture lock is done. Titles are being worked on now, as well as sound design and audio sweetening. I'm going to try and finish up recording some audio tonight, and do color correction as well. Then tomorrow hopefully we'll put it all together and be one big happy crew. I'm hoping for not too many kinks along the way...we'll see though.

:)

RyanT
02-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Alan, who's doing the post audio work is making me so nervous. I think he's finally gone off his rocker.

To be honest, I have no idea what he's doing, and all he's telling me is that he's being really "creative".

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Regardless of what I just said, I trust you Alan. Wherever you are.

Alan H. Chang
02-10-2008, 11:06 PM
LOL :violin:

RyanT
02-11-2008, 02:10 AM
So....I had my DVX laying around as I was frantically talking to Alan and just sorta freaking out about having enough time to compress, so I did what any normal filmmaker would do. I sat my camera on my table and left it recording as I continued to pee my pants on whether or not it would upload in time.

My sister came by and tried to talk to me about it logically, using math and stuff like that...but psh, I just wrote whatever she said off as pessimism.

My film is uploading now though, so it looks like this story will have a happy ending. (Knocks on wood.)

Basically, prepare yourself for the best BTS video ever, and of course a story that makes sense!

bosindy
02-11-2008, 08:28 AM
glad you git it uploaded, I was following your trials and tribulations last night.

andreww
02-13-2008, 10:07 PM
MAN THIS SHAAT WAS OFF THE HOOK! RYAN YOU ARE THE BOMB DIGGITY BOMB! bump.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-13-2008, 10:38 PM
This was pretty good. Really well shot, you have quite the eye. I have to say, the acting took me out of it a bit (male lead) but not enough to dislike it.

I like the moment that you created.

Well crafted and well written.

Cheers,

RyanT
02-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed it michael, I'll be checking out your film quite soon.

Three skinny pieces in a row to those of you who can find the camera.

smashedburrito
02-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Ryan, that movie looked really sweet man. Also I dug the music, it fit the piece really well and was real different sounding. The things that took me out of it were the acting and some of the story. I think you needed a few more minutes to establish your characters, the listening device, things like that. Otherwise I really enjoyed the look and sound of this piece.

Looking forward to the next one.

RyanT
02-14-2008, 07:52 AM
So...I'm going to take a wild guess at what's going on. You just watched the film. You're like, alright, alright, cool. But that music...man, you just can't get enough of that music!

This is where the ever so talented colugo comes in. A friend of mine stumbled across this album and said that I had to listen to it, he had never been so happy while listening to music before. Plus, it's called Music For People. I'm people...so it's music for me. It all made sense. Also, this is all free. He just wants you guys to listen, so no need to feel like you're killing his first born child downloading this album.

http://www.pleasesendhelp.com/music/Colugo/Music%20for%20people/cover.jpg (http://www.pleasesendhelp.com/music/Colugo/Music%20for%20people/Colugo%20-%20Music%20for%20people.zip)
(click the photo to download)

It contains such classics as "Rub-a-dub-dub, three men in a briefcase", "I was eating some delicious oats, but they're all gone now and it's making me very happy indeed" as well as "Hey little boy would you like ten oranges". (Haha, I kid you not. These are the names of some of the songs. I know. Crazy.)

It's a great little album, even if you don't like electronica. I suggest you all check it out.

RE1000
02-14-2008, 07:52 AM
That came out real good, I really enjoyed that. You got my vote.
Snorri Cam shot ftw!
Best Soundtrack Ever? I think so....

Also, I liked the creative audio, props to your audio guy, Alan right?

Btw, how long have you had that Mac Aquarium? That thing is amazing! I might have to do that to my G5 when it's done, but it just wont be the same...

mentatDUKE
02-14-2008, 04:38 PM
This was a fun film that jived with a lot of my sensibilities. Im a sucker for nerdy chicks that like video games (Mario Kart instead of Tetris though). Defintitely my kinda movie.

The beginning worked really well for me, but things started to fall apart once she was in his apartment and stormed off. What was she mad about? What did she see or discover that pissed her off? I didn't quite get that.

Also, the slipping on the pen didn't work for me either.

I liked a lot of the ideas in this. Just a few things kept me from really connecting with the piece. I hope to seem more from you guys anyway.

RyanT
02-14-2008, 05:00 PM
The beginning worked really well for me, but things started to fall apart once she was in his apartment and stormed off. What was she mad about? What did she see or discover that pissed her off? I didn't quite get that.

She ended up seeing the device that he had used to listen into her conversations as well as heard her friends voice coming out of it. I guess that audio could easiliy be confused with you just being able to hear the other side of the conversation on the phone.

Thanks for the comments though. Hopefully a little bit of audio tinkering may help that part start to work better.

Gohanto
02-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Nice work, chicks who play video games always add a plus to any film. I really liked the story you had, and the ending was very well done. Kinda like the Jerry McGuire line but done in a very original way that fit perfectly.

The sound design was one of the stand outs of the film, however I think if you would've played this back in the room and outside so the reverbs would've matched the location it could've worked a little better and been more natural. Just a little too clean to think it was actually being played in the room.

Acting was okay, didn't distract, but both the actors seemed a little uncomfortable on camera. But like I said, it wasn't distractingly so, just something to work on in the future imo.

Another thing I noticed, you may have wanted to show the actor how to at least begin to solve a rubiks cube correctly. Something I doubt many people would notice, but since its solved in the opening shot and based on the character you setup I would think he would be able to solve it. The first step you do is to make a cross of the middle pieces on one side, then the corners on that side, then work your way down to the middle level, and finally solve the last side. EXTREMELY MINOR note, but something I thought worth pointing out. (That overhead angle looked cool though)

The tilt down when he walks up the stairs onto the pencil looked excellent.

Very nice work overall.

Alan H. Chang
02-14-2008, 05:23 PM
The sound design was one of the stand outs of the film, however I think if you would've played this back in the room and outside so the reverbs would've matched the location it could've worked a little better and been more natural. Just a little too clean to think it was actually being played in the room.

What do you mean playing back in the room and outside?

Gohanto
02-14-2008, 05:28 PM
I believe Walter Murch calls it worldizing sounds. Basically design it however you like, then take a pair of good speakers to a location acoustically similar to the setting, then play the sounds back and re-record them. That way the natural reverb is heard. You can get similar results with a lot of work in post-sound controls, however that's just my preference. American Graffiti and Walk the Line are both well known for doing this.

Alan H. Chang
02-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Yeah, Walter does that.

Now I understand what you were referring to.

RyanT
02-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Another thing I noticed, you may have wanted to show the actor how to at least begin to solve a rubiks cube correctly. Something I doubt many people would notice, but since its solved in the opening shot and based on the character you setup I would think he would be able to solve it. The first step you do is to make a cross of the middle pieces on one side, then the corners on that side, then work your way down to the middle level, and finally solve the last side. EXTREMELY MINOR note, but something I thought worth pointing out. (That overhead angle looked cool though)

Do you mean show him solving it in the first scene?

If so, we actually had a scene right before we start the film where he solves the rubicks cube, then says "a minute 30, beat that gil". But...I don't know, acting wise it just wasn't there, so I ended up cutting it. Maybe I can find a way for him to solve it without saying the line though, because you're the second person to mention that.

That's how walter started out though, didn't he? He was the guy who had to go out to those locations, play the sound and record it himself. I always tend to do it in post, but I've sort of been thinking about trying that myself. Seems like it may end up being much more natural and organic.

Matthew R. Rodwell
02-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Fantastic job! The fall was a little corny, but everything else was great ;p Oh, and I really liked the use of Tetris sounds for the soundtrack, very cool

KenV
02-16-2008, 04:07 AM
I liked the concept of this movie, but I felt you could have done alittle more, but time restrictions suck. I'm not gonna say great score, but rather great soundtrack, since you were using "premade" music. Colugo has gained another fan here. Audio levels, alittle hot, but sounded great overall.

Again I really like the concept.

Goodluck to you all,

KenV

Alan H. Chang
02-16-2008, 05:04 AM
I find the last song to be hot, but it was beyond my control. It's hard judging all these movies, even harder than the last fest. So much quality everywhere!

Glad you enjoyed it. I also love the soundtrack, sounds very organic and original.

Chris Messineo
02-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Great title and I love the last shot.

This was a wonderful quirky little romance. I really liked the characters - I thought both actors were great.

I really liked the look and mood of this story. Very well done.

RyanT
02-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Gohanto, I just realized what you were talking about and you know, you're definitely right. I should have showed him how to at least begin to solve it. It may be a little detail, but, then again...nothing is too small to look over. Thanks for the comment.

kurtmo
02-17-2008, 07:57 AM
That was unique. I thought the cinematography was well done. I think some of the details of the plot were a bit hard to follow. I liked the aquarium and the weird umbrella. Quirky stuff adds character. The closups on the balcony as he was walking around were too close. Seems like it was overused or maybe used at the wrong time. I’m not an expert, but it seems like its best to go that close to build some emotional point.
Still, it was a fun film. And the actors did a nice job. Thanks for posting!

Ted Arabian
02-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Hey Guys! Well done on your film.

I enjoyed this tale. It was cute and quirky. I loved the characters.

I felt the story had a few holes in it. Such as, I didn't get why she stormed out of his apt. I am assuming it was to do with that antenna but it wasn't very clear.

Also, I thought that they lived in the same apt. complex? What was with the google maps line? Confused me again.

I liked that this guy, who obviously knows how to solve the Rubix cube is so flustered that he can't! Nice touch. One of those things that shows the inside of a character without a single word.

Music was awesome.

Nice lighting and camera work. You have some great shots here! Loved your use of placing items in the foreground.

Your characters were fun and I enjoyed watching them. Too bad it is a 6 minute time limit because I would love to see how their relationship grows. And your actors did a nice job bringing them to life.

You guys did a great job here!

Congrats and best to you!

Look forward to more of your work.

Nic Aragon
02-19-2008, 04:49 PM
yay! :)

this was a fun one! anything with Nintendo somehow in it is fun to me especially

Bryce A
02-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Nice. It's got quirk, but not the quirk-for-the-sake-of-quirk that seems to be taking over (insert own references here). It works well for a short, in that the quirky aspects seemed to be impetus for the story, but don't get drawn out or over stay their welcome. The music was great and the camera confident. All in all, Tetris rocks, so you get added points just for that.

Alan H. Chang
02-19-2008, 10:16 PM
AHHH! Ryan! Ryan! What happened?! :crybaby:

Why is the soundtrack so hot???

Alan H. Chang
02-19-2008, 10:20 PM
:violent5:

What happened to the stereo image???

:furious3:

RyanT
02-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Alan, what are you talking about? The image looks fine. I mean, I did a little bit of color correction, but like...I don't know what you mean.

Alan H. Chang
02-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Hey Ryan,

Sorry about those icons. The soundtrack turned out very hot; the signals were a little above normal. I was referring to the stereo image of the sound.

RyanT
02-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Hey Ryan,

Sorry about those icons. The soundtrack turned out very hot; the signals were a little above normal. I was referring to the stereo image of the sound.

Haha, alan. I was kidding.

Was it just the soundtrack, or the overall mix?

I enjoy ruining your day though, you know that, right?

Alan H. Chang
02-20-2008, 10:42 PM
It's the overall mix that turned out very hot.

KenV
02-21-2008, 01:43 AM
But Colugo still rocks, . . ., who is he/she, and do they have a myspace, because they deserve their credit

Colugo
02-21-2008, 06:02 AM
Hello! I guess I'm a little late to the party, but here I am.

I really love the film, you all did a great job. It's especially weird hearing my music in this context, and a few little flaws that I didn't notice before jumped out at me while I was watching. I think it sounds good overall though and the music tends to fit the scenes pretty well.

Thanks for introducing me to DVXFest; there's lots of great films being entered here. I hope you guys win!

KenV: My MySpace page is easy to remember :)
http://www.myspace.com/colugo

Alan H. Chang
02-21-2008, 06:55 AM
Mad props to you Colugo! The music is so abstract and organic.

Brian Parker
02-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Nice film. Liked the cc and lighting. Music was interesting and fitting as well. Did a good job of telling a story in the alotted time. Nice work.

Luis Caffesse
02-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Really nice job on this one.
I enjoyed your variation in shots throughout - the wides from across the complex, CU on his face as he walks around, seeing him through the blinds from inside her apartment - all well done. The close on him may have bit a bit too distored for my taste...but overall I liked it all.

The story has a really nice sweet feel to it.
Nicely constructed - I liked the way you got her in the apartment, the way she discovered his eavesdropping, and the way he wins her back.

The card was great - whats funny is I'd seen the graphic on the poster but it never ocurred to me that it would be what was on the card. I guess that means I was engrossed in your story.

When he slips and falls, I was a bit thrown the first time I saw it (no pun intended) - only because he didn't seem to take a step or anything, he suddenly slipped - and when he hit the ground I feel you could have really used a nice 'thud' sound effect or something. That would really sell it.

The music worked great and really complimented the mood of the story in general - so nice work there.

The final shot of the card I woudl have loved to have been just a little closer to it - I have a hard time making out the writing, then again I'm watching a QT File on my computer, so that could be the reason.

But overall - really nice.
This is the kind of film that leaves you in a good mood at the end - which I enjoy.
Simple, sweet, and well told.

Hat's off.

(now next time you have to do something incredibly dark, just to even it out)

Jack Daniel Stanley
02-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Hah hah, interesting opening and sound design.

I want that fish tank.

Is the occasional electric hum part of the sound design? It didn’t seem s much part of the sound design as the rest.

The end was sweet.

My only problem was that I didn’t get at all what she saw at his place that made her call him a creeper and then leave. Which was a problem because that conflict is what drives the rest of the movie.

On the whole, very fun quirky and watchable piece. I enjoyed it.

The music was awesome. I thought I was going to read that Ben Gibbard had scored it :) Who did it someone named Culogo ? Awesome.

:beer:

RyanT
02-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm going to see what I can do after the fact to make it more clear what made her walk out of his apartment, as I've said before.

The reason the electronic hum didn't seem like so much of the sound design as the rest is because it was done about 5 minutes before it was uploaded. I'm quickly learning about time management with these fests, haha, now I know waiting until the last minute is probably not the best idea.

And yeah Luis, my next film is going to be just like. :violent5:

Haha, actually, I don't know about that. I'm so glad I did this fest because I'm quickly realizing how awesome romantic comedies are. Anything else now just seems like a downer.

RyanT
02-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Did anyone notice the main characters salute to dvxuser with his HVX200 shirt? Or did that pass everyone up?

Anyways, I would just like to make an announcement that at approximately 8:33PM on Friday, February 15th. Gil and Gil Jr. jumped out of their fishbowls and to their death as I attempted to change their water. They were fiesty little guys, but we will always remember them.

Alan H. Chang
02-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Did anyone notice the main characters salute to dvxuser with his HVX200 shirt? Or did that pass everyone up?

Anyways, I would just like to make an announcement that at approximately 8:33PM on Friday, February 15th. Gil and Gil Jr. jumped out of their fishbowls and to their death as I attempted to change their water. They were fiesty little guys, but we will always remember them.

How did that happen? Poor little guys!

RyanT
02-25-2008, 04:08 PM
I put them in a little bowl while I made the water switch on their fishtank. I guess I filled it way too high because when I came back they weren't in the bowl anymore. I looked all over, only to find them floppin' on the floor. I tried to do everything I could to bring em back, and for a little while I had some hope that they'd make it...but...no. Just too much for them.

Alan H. Chang
02-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Eeeeek! You should add this to the film:

In Loving memory, Gil and Gil Jr.