PDA

View Full Version : Article: Indi Snap Flex Trac Dolly

Jason Adams
01-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Read the Full Article Here (http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/IndiSnap)

Huy Vu
01-16-2008, 12:15 AM
I've been using the Flex Track system and I'm very happy with it. It does take a bit of fiddling around to set up but it's a great product at a solid price point. Performed wonderfully on my last short film. I'm actually considering ordering the pocket dolly version of this as well. I gave some of my thoughts as well as some sample footage on this system earlier in this thread, just to supplement some of what Jason said.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=112606

LuckyStudio 13
01-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Due to the design, don't think this dolly can be used outdoors in an even or uneven ground at all ?

Jason Adams
01-16-2008, 05:49 PM
I have used it on gravel and grass with good results

Huy Vu
01-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Due to the design, don't think this dolly can be used outdoors in an even or uneven ground at all ?

It works outdoor, although not on all surfaces and setup time maybe longer. Grassy areas and excessively bumpy surfaces won't work. You can see some shot of the dolly in action outdoor here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFdpyFWRJnM

and there's also some outdoor footage in the thread I posted.

Jonathan_P
01-16-2008, 07:38 PM
How difficult is it to lay the track at a particular radius of curve? Does it want to bend to a certain radius? How difficult is it to keep the two pieces of track parallel when they're in a curve? Thanks!

Huy Vu
01-17-2008, 12:24 AM
How difficult is it to lay the track at a particular radius of curve? Does it want to bend to a certain radius? How difficult is it to keep the two pieces of track parallel when they're in a curve? Thanks!

The track does have a certain stiffness to it but if with a little bit of fiddling around you can get it to any shape you with and it won't snap back except at the very ends where the tubing naturally wants to bend, in which case sandbags come in handy. I don't know of anyway to precisely set it up at a certain radius (like 1 m or something like that); I supposed you can sketch out a precise arc but most of the time I eyeball the track and test for the degree of curvature I need.

Once the inner track has been set up in the shape you want, you'll have to guesstimate where the outer track goes and roll the dolly over a few times. Inevitably, you'll have to make some adjustments to keep the dolly from popping off the track. But once this is done the arc of the dolly wheels will keep the tracks parallel in shape.

ifownlee41nite@mac.com
01-17-2008, 12:37 AM
I own it and it hasn't let me down. It is a light weight compared to the bigger boys, but it does get the job down very well for a fraction of the price. If you order 1 just make sure you do it well in advance. My man up in Canada is a one man show so it takes him a little time to get it ready and shipped. He will come through for you though. Great asset to this forum and independent.

realogist
11-25-2008, 03:02 PM
anyone know what kind of rubber it uses?
I have already purchased a dolly wheels and board with rotating wheels in prep to use with a flexible track, so I'd like to keep my wheel and just buy the rubber tubing.

Apparently the hardware stores and home depot do not sell such tubing. And any rubber tubing I find online are all industrial stuff. Wondering if anyone had any recommendations of good place to buy good tubing for doing dolly work.

thanks