PDA

View Full Version : Maybe

Zim
01-06-2008, 08:17 AM
If the weather is ok tomorrow we will film the short. Calling for rain, but the heavy stuff might be later in the day.
The two actors are ready. The DVX100b's batteries are charged up. We are ready to do this thing. The weather will make a difference.

I had started this under a different name but that all fell through. So the new short is called : "Maybe"

Zim
01-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Today I'm going to meet with the main actor and I'm going to make a few small changes and get a couple of cut away shots. But so far it is going pretty good. Here are a few pics from monday when we shot the film.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/zimvg/MaybePoster.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/zimvg/RZ1_0856.jpg
Mike running the camera

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/zimvg/RZ1_0864.jpg
Me trying to explain what I want.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/zimvg/RZ1_0862.jpg
our location. 600N 1800E

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/zimvg/RZ1_0853.jpg
Time for a call. "Can you hear me now"/?

Robbie Comeau
01-06-2008, 10:40 AM
I thought you called it maybe cause maybe you'll shoot, or maybe you won't ;)

Zim
01-06-2008, 12:24 PM
yes kind of like the weather forecast...maybe it will rain, maybe it won't. But we are going to try and I can keep my DVX dry.

Zim
01-07-2008, 09:48 PM
We did it!! Man it was windy. I don't know how people record in winds like that.

So sound will be a issue but we will deal with it. Now to just try and edit it down to something that can be watched!!!

Tom Marshall
01-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Congrats on getting the shooting done. :beer:

Zim
01-11-2008, 09:04 AM
It is nice to really go out and do it. A couple of extra shots today and edit it. I added a few pictures at the top of the thread.

tmnt
01-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Nice location.

Abinc
01-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Wow, what a killer location; can't wait to see this!

Jason Ramsey
01-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Cool, man. Glad you got your shots. Good luck to you.

Later,
Jason

Zim
01-11-2008, 11:02 PM
I think I got it done!! It really went together pretty good.

Zim
01-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Wow, what a killer location; can't wait to see this!

We really got lucky with the weather. The wind was bad. But the rain held off until the next day. Probably two inches of rain.
Plus temps in the mid 60's in January in east central Illinois is awesome.

Chris Messineo
01-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Nice BTS shots - I'm looking forward to the film.

Luis Caffesse
01-28-2008, 02:26 PM
So how's it coming together, Zim?
Any updates?

Robbie Comeau
01-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Interested to see on how this will turn out, and how it has the theme of love in it somewhere.

Later,
Robbie

Zim
02-04-2008, 10:17 AM
I walked away from it for about a week. It was driving me nuts. So a made a few more changes yesterday.
The guy who was going to give me some music didn't do it. So I used something else. It works. But it is done. It is a good or as bad as it is going to get!!

So how's it coming together, Zim?
Any updates?

Zim
02-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Interested to see on how this will turn out, and how it has the theme of love in it somewhere.

Later,
Robbie

I tried to tell the story about love and the life of one man. Plus add a camera and do it in three minutes with no real budget!! I think I did it!!

It is based on a friend and how he has dealt with love in his life.

Marlon Ladd
02-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Glad you got it done. Good job!

Danielleus
02-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Congrats on getting uploaded and approved. Now, the waiting begins. Good luck.

Robert Eldon
02-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Zim,

Great location! Congratulations on getting it done! Looking forward to seeing this.

Kholi
02-14-2008, 12:39 AM
MAYBE -- SOME THOUGHTSISHNESS!?

I think so! Just thoughts here.

For me, personally, it's hard to watch the type because it's not my cup of tea. I'm still like fifteen years old on the inside. Must have action! Well, maybe not action but y'know what I mean. So, not to say anything is bad! But to say I'd like to see a full on narrative approach from ya next time, if that's YOUR thing of course.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Just watched this. At first I was like...
"Strong music... wait!? It's gone. Wait! I's back..."

After that I got into what you were doing.
Simple, yet well executed. A little "artsy" but still pretty mainstream in some aspects. I enjoyed it though and that's what counts.

Cheers!

Zim
02-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks . I was kind of stumped and the only thing that came to mind was from a drama classes in college. I thought Waiting For Godot was a reocurring bad dream.

We only had one and a half days to do this. But it was fun and it is my first ever film fest.
We had problems too.
The wind was blowing 40 to 50 mph which meant we could not record dialog outside. The wind was blowing stuff all around getting on the lens. Which ruined a few scenes.
One of the actors backed out. So Mike had to fill in.
The guy who was going to supply the music never did.
The story was changed about a week before the shoot and some even that day.

I'm a rookie so to be honest I'm lucky I even got what I did done.

But this fest is sure a good way to learn. Thanks to all at DVXuser and everyone that helped.

Kholi
02-15-2008, 08:58 AM
That's all it's about, learning. You, me, and everyone else? That's exactly what we're doing. I'm learnin' from you guys just by watchin'.

So don't worry at all. Doing it is the first step and everyone but me pretty much has that down. :D

Ted Arabian
02-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Hey Zim,

A very interesting and poetic film you have.

I will say that, for me, a minimalist film has to be done perfectly because there is so little for us viewers to pay attention to. A great challenge and you handled it quite well.

I think that your shots were nice, for the most part... though I didn't care for the one of the photographer pointing. I would like to have seen an shot that was framed from the guys shoulder with his finger pointed down the vanishing point. (or something like that. It was a bit too comical of a shot after all of the poetry. But that is my opinion.)

I thought that there was some nice, poetic writing but I wanted something more from this guys thoughts.

Great location. Always nice to find a desolate road that stretches to no where.

I don't have a lot to say... there was some nice images here.

Congrats on the film!

-Ted

Mark Johnson
02-15-2008, 10:35 AM
I thought Waiting For Godot was a reocurring bad dream.

:) ... Though sophomoric, one of my favorite moments of humor in college was when I went to take a dump in a public restroom and as I closed the door of the stall I saw: "Godot, .... I was here."

Say, is Zim, by any chance referential to my absolute favorite invader of all time?

Arrik
02-15-2008, 10:46 AM
I think I would have also preferred a full bodied story. Though, for what it was, I think you achieved what you set out to.

I would suggest for the passerby (photographer). It would have made sense if his car was in the shot, to show how he came about there and would have added something to your scene to break up the monotony of the same picture. Maybe gone a little closer for those pointing around shots? Also, maybe wider would have worked better on some shots to established the "nowhere-ness" of where he was. Just some opinions.

It got really windy there huh? I really like the effect it gave. It helped to make a bland landscape seem a bit more extraordinary. I'm sure it messed up any audio you planned on picking up there. Had you known it was going to be windy, you could have exaggerated the look by giving him a lightweight b-down shirt instead of the t-shirt. May have created a more dramatic look..... but then again it might've looked like a backstreet boy music vid depending on the execution. Again, just some ideas.

Glad you were able to complete and compete! Good luck and good job.

Zim
02-15-2008, 11:06 AM
:) ... Though sophomoric, one of my favorite moments of humor in college was when I went to take a dump in a public restroom and as I closed the door of the stall I saw: "Godot, .... I was here."

Say, is Zim, by any chance referential to my absolute favorite invader of all time?

no it is the first three letters of my last name.

dannycoxdidit
02-15-2008, 12:25 PM
While I appreciate the type of thing you were going for, the continued use of the maybe sandwich in between wind-whipped hair and the same four bars of music made this feel more like a commercial for abercrombie cologne. Although, if it were, it would be a very good commercial for abercrombie cologne.

That being said, I think that if you had wanted, you could have made this a little more accessible just by adding a little diversity to the shots or the locations. It sounds like you had some incidentals that may have prevented some of this, which happens... a lot.

Nice first entry and I'm looking forward to what comes next

Zim
02-15-2008, 12:56 PM
It is funny you say that because Cory is a model who works a lot in new york. Cool I got the abercrombie look and wasn't even trying!!!

The story was going to be a lot different. But it all started falling apart. Then half the footage was either ruined by the wind blowing stuff on the lens or just the noise itself.

I really only had one day to shoot. Cory the abercrombie model was leaving for Florida and New York. Plus we had a day the temps hit 70 here in Illinois. Next day it was back in the 20's.

The music is not what I wanted either. But that is what I ended up with. But I wasn't going to let any of that stop me.

What was really good to do was directed other people. I've thought about that before and if I could do it. So for that alone it was worth it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/zimvg/m_9abd068124ab0d357531e2b0d6e9f804.jpg

Chris Messineo
02-15-2008, 08:08 PM
I really liked the opening shot.

The rock music feels out of place in this film.

The landscape is great, but I wish there was a little more story to go with it.

kurtmo
02-16-2008, 10:16 AM
I enjoyed this piece for what it was. I really liked the eye closups. I thought the setting was cool with the wind blowing. The flow and pace was nice.
The photographer pointing didn’t work for me.

Zak Forsman
02-16-2008, 10:55 AM
nice work, Zim. i'll tell you the only ting that tripped me up was the fade out on the music cue everytime we returned to the b&w XCU of your lead. a possible solution would be to do a "ringout" instead of a fadeout. im going to attempt to describe how you would do this...

first, at the point you want to cut to the b&w XCU, put a hard cut on the music too. place a two frame audio dissolve on it to remove any "pop". then, move left on the timeline 6 to 12 frames and set an IN point. then set an OUT three seconds later. now, export an AIFF of just this section of music and empty tracks. now, reimport that AIFF and cut it in on your usic track to match exactly where you had set you IN point originally. last, drop a reverb plugin on this clip and play with what sounds best to you. this is what is called a "ringout". the song just kind of resonates off into empty space instead of fading away. you'll hear this used a lot in studio trailers. that where I learned to do it actually.

anyway, congrats on overcoming all those obstacles and coming away with something to be proud of.

Zim
02-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks Zak. I will make an attempt to try that. I would like to find some people around who edit. I like doing it but I'm sure there are tricks like your talking about that would really help.
Thanks for the tip

Brian Parker
02-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Good piece Zim, kind of poetic. Felt kind of artsy and I don't mean that in a bad way. Great location. Liked the opening shot. Good job.

hoz
02-18-2008, 06:43 PM
cool stuff. maybe. ( just kidding) i liked the look your film had, it was quite close to a commercial as others must've said but it wasn't, it started to grow on me in a good way. you got me in the mood to listen to some leonard cohen. i liked the location too. congrats!

Bryce A
02-20-2008, 02:03 AM
nice work, Zim. i'll tell you the only ting that tripped me up was the fade out on the music cue everytime we returned to the b&w XCU of your lead. a possible solution would be to do a "ringout" instead of a fadeout. im going to attempt to describe how you would do this...

I couldn't agree with ZAK more. I think this would help the film out quite a bt. :D But overall, "Maybe" is just not my cup of tea. Though, I love the location. So, nice scouting!

Marlon Ladd
02-20-2008, 05:50 AM
Great location and you had some good shots in here. The music did seem out of place and continued to come out of nowhere and for me; took away from the drama of the guy being by himself on that road. It was so quiet on his narrative and then, "blam" with the music as if there was alot going on with the scene and then it disappeared. Then again, that may have been exactly what you were going for and that's why we have indie filmmaking. Everybody has a different story to tell in a unique way.

BTW - that wind must have been really crazy. Reminds me of OKC.

Good job.

Zim
02-20-2008, 09:35 AM
One of my plans is to find someone who is good with sound editing. Editing in general. I like messing with it but I would like some help in that area. Well again the music fell through so I had to use some free stuff. The film was going to be a lot different than what I ended up with because of the wind and everything else. But I was glad to get it done and get my first film on a DVX fest. I got some good feedback from everyone here. A all around great learning experience.

(It was a great location. I might use it again for something.)

Zim
02-20-2008, 11:05 AM
I might try and re do this with some other music. I would like the same music all the way through but fade down to a real low volume when Cory is talking. Then come back up again. If i can find the right music I might see what I can do. Maybe.

mentatDUKE
02-20-2008, 12:25 PM
This was an interesting experimental film. Not too many have tried something like this in the fest, so you get points for thinking outside the box and trying something different.

I couldn't really get a handle on what type of tone you were trying to convey. I don't think the imagery and music quite matched with the spoken words. The words were deep and introspective, but everything else was light and fun almost.

Still, this was an interesting film and I think I'll remember it for a while and will definitely rewatch it again soon.

RyanT
02-20-2008, 10:28 PM
This sort of stuff is not usually my cup of tea, but there are definitely a few things that I did like. The closeups of the eye was really nice, and I liked that desolate location you had. That windiness is always nice when you don't have to record audio :)

As others have already said though, the rock music felt a little out of place. I wish you had found a way to make smoother transitions from the man talking to him standing on the road. Interesting film though, nice job.