PDA

View Full Version : CARRY-ON - A Caffesse/Wildman Film

Pages : [1] 2

Luis Caffesse
01-01-2008, 04:21 PM
LOVEfest viewing is now open!
WATCH "CARRY-ON" HERE (http://www.dvxfest.com/lovefest/loader.php?id=90030)

http://www.pitchproductions.com/pics/carryon-poster.jpg

Keeping my new years resolution (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=119527&page=2).
I'm throwing my hat in the ring.

Luis Caffesse
01-01-2008, 04:23 PM
A film by Luis Caffesse & Clifford Wildman

Starring Anne Nabors & Scott Bate

Production Journal

You know - I started writing about this project and wound up with an incredibly long post that would probably take all of you longer to read than it would to watch the film itself when its done. So I did what anyone would do - I deleted it.

Suffice to say - things are getting done.
:)

Actors are locked down.
Script is not finalized yet (but being worked on)
Locations are being nailed down (hopefully today)

Shoot dates will be January 19th and 20th for the bulk of it, with the possibility of picking up some things in the week after.
So far we have a couple of DVXUsers onboard who have offered to help out - which is great.

As small milestones occurr I'll update this thread.
For now - I'll just say that its interesting working in a new way.
This piece is being put together as much by writing as it is by improv (Zak, I'm looking in your direction)
We're doing what we can to give the actors some freedom - and its yielding some interesting results that we're both fairly excited about.
More details on the approach and how the piece came together later...

I kind of feel like I'm flying without a net - but it's definitely going to be a fun ride.
Stay tuned....

GRABS:

This is the first frame of the first thing we shot for this film.
http://www.pitchproductions.com/pics/res.jpg

Actual production grabs coming this Friday, February 1st
:thumbsup:

....and here they are:

Straight from the camera, these are from the first scene of the film.

http://www.pitchproductions.com/co/CO-grab1a.jpg

http://www.pitchproductions.com/co/CO-grab2a.jpg

http://www.pitchproductions.com/co/CO-grab1c.jpg
Yes, that's right, we've decided to think outside the box and use a coffee shop as one of our locations.

Luis Caffesse
01-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Some teaser BTS pics for you:

Prepping to take the first shot of the day:
http://www.pitchproductions.com/co/CObts-01.jpg

Obligatory gear shot - complete with the oft sought after shallow depth of field:
http://www.pitchproductions.com/co/CObts-02.jpg

And finally - a shot of me on set:
http://www.pitchproductions.com/co/CObts-03.jpg
Personally, I think that's my best side.

Jeff Anderson
01-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Sweet - I really like the little wooden people picture. Looking forward to more.

Mark Harris
01-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Holy Frijoles!!!!!

Kyle Stebbins
01-01-2008, 04:45 PM
that poster is slick, luis. i'm glad to see you jumping in!

Zak Forsman
01-01-2008, 04:50 PM
NOW we're talkin'!!! glad to see things have changed since we last spoke about it.

jpsheets
01-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Excellent! Looking forward to seeing it!

best,

JP

Billy Pilgrim
01-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Awesome. I've never seen anything by Luis, so I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Tom Marshall
01-01-2008, 09:51 PM
I never thought I'd see Luis join in a fest... wait... when did you get your yellow name? Did someone blackmail you? Was this part of some deal? :huh:

Cryogenic Filmworks
01-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Looking forward to it.

Luis Caffesse
01-01-2008, 11:14 PM
that poster is slick, luis. i'm glad to see you jumping in!

Wow - praise from Caesar!
Hopefully our film can live up to our poster.

I'd always said I would never 'officially' enter a fest unless I'd actually already shot the film - but I just couldn't wait on this one that long. We've been planning it since the fest was announced, but I wasn't sure all the pieces were going to come together. We still haven't shot, but I'm confident we'll get it together -

My only concern now is whether or not this is actually a '6 minute story'
We'll see.

Billy Pilgrim
01-01-2008, 11:38 PM
when did you get your yellow name?

When Hudson peed on it. Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk! Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all night.

Matthew R. Rodwell
01-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Luis, if you need a hand with anything just give me a call

555-555-5555

Luis Caffesse
01-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Thanks Matt - but are you sure you want your phone number out there like that?

Edited to add -
Nice, you edit your post, and now it seems like I'm actually funny.
Go ahead and PM me your number - I didn't copy it down.
Thanks.

Matthew R. Rodwell
01-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks Matt - but are you sure you want your phone number out there like that?

Good point, keep forgetting about the mass loads of sexual preditors on here *points to the guy sniffing the lock of wookiee hair*

Marlon Ladd
01-02-2008, 05:50 AM
Cool, Luis. Glad you jumped in. Don't worry, I haven't filmed anything yet either. We got time.

Jason Ramsey
01-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Luis....

Awesome, man. Glad to see you throwing your hat into the ring.

Judging from your stump the chef stuff (which is all I've ever seen of your work), I'm betting this thing will have a high production value at the very least.

Good luck to you.
Later,
Jason

Brandon Rice
01-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Oh wow! I just saw this today! Can't wait to see what you cook up dude!!

Kyle Stebbins
01-02-2008, 10:02 AM
My only concern now is whether or not this is actually a '6 minute story'
We'll see.

My script? 13 pages long.

Am I competing? Heh. Probably not.

Is your concern that you don't think your story is cohesive enough to be spread over a 6-minute time span without becoming dry, broken, or redundant?

Luis Caffesse
01-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Is your concern that you don't think your story is cohesive enough to be spread over a 6-minute time span without becoming dry, broken, or redundant?

Quite the opposite.
Being a 'Love' themed fest - I'm worried about not giving the story the time it needs to have any sort of impact. I know we can get all the information across in 6 minutes - but will anyone care like they might if it were told in 9 minutes?

I guess we'll see.

Our script right now is... well... I'll update on that later today.
Our writing process has been interesting this time around - we're trying some new techniques that we've never done before... thanks mostly to the people on this site that have inspired us to try some new things.

I'm still wrapping up things from the holidays - still have a friend in from out of town who is leaving later today. As soon as things calm down here today I'll update this thread with some actual information.

Simon Höfer
01-02-2008, 12:27 PM
What a start into a new year! Really looking forward to your entry :)

Luis Caffesse
01-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Judging from your stump the chef stuff (which is all I've ever seen of your work), I'm betting this thing will have a high production value at the very least.

See - this is why I didn't want to start a thread....
I haven't posted anything yet and you're already raising the bar on me.

For those of you who don't know, by the way, Jason's film would make Kubrick himself cry with envy at the mastery of the film language.
It is a force to be reckoned with. A 6 minute film school onto itself.

Let's see you live up to that!

...by the way, thanks for the compliment.

Jason Ramsey
01-02-2008, 12:58 PM
punk! :beer:

later,
Jason

Drew Ott
01-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Luis, I'm anxious to see if this film is going to be as good as you say it will be.

Only joking, of course.:)

Marlon Ladd
01-02-2008, 02:37 PM
See - this is why I didn't want to start a thread....
I haven't posted anything yet and you're already raising the bar on me.

For those of you who don't know, by the way, Jason's film would make Kubrick himself cry with envy at the mastery of the film language.
It is a force to be reckoned with. A 6 minute film school onto itself.

Let's see you live up to that!

...by the way, thanks for the compliment.
Hilarious!

cinealma
01-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Glad to see you putting something together, Luis. Piece of crap or cinematic ecstasy, I look forward to it nonetheless.

Stephen Mick
01-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Having met Luis, all I can say is the guy oozes talent from every pore. I don't think it's overselling this project to say that it will be a cinematic touchstone for this and future generations.

Rumor has it that Helen Mirren has a supporting role and that John Williams and Gustavo Santaollala are angling to score the film.

Good luck, LC!

Zak Forsman
01-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Having met Luis, all I can say is the guy oozes talent from every pore.

that's pretty disgusting. must smell like wet dog.

Luis Caffesse
01-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Updated the Production Journal - kind of.

Stephen - as I was reading your post I thought "wow, that's a hell of a complim... oh...wait... "
Nice.

Luis Caffesse
01-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Well... after going back and forth all day, I think we just finished up the final revision on our script.
I'm happy with it - I think we've got something solid that will hopefully be a bit different from other entries.
I can at least tell you this - its different from most of the things we've done in the past.

I'm worried we're pushing it trying to fit this into 6 minutes, but it sounds like many are in the same boat.
That doesn't really make me feel too much better about it though.
We'll see.

Tom Marshall
01-05-2008, 07:12 PM
6 minutes is a tough time-frame to write for, that's for sure. Glad to see you're near a final draft though. :thumbsup:

Luis Caffesse
01-06-2008, 11:14 AM
6 minutes is a tough time-frame to write for, that's for sure. Glad to see you're near a final draft though. :thumbsup:

Man, it really is.
What's funny is I've watched these fest entries for a long time...and always thought the biggest problem was
that people were trying to tackle stories that were just too 'big' for the time limit.

We came up with what we thought was a very simple and quick story to tell ....
Then you start writing and realize that 6 pages isn't much room.
And ideally you would want a script that is closer to 5 pages.

Right now our draft is at 6.5 pages.

We're doing another rehearsal this weekend.
I'm planning on actually shooting it (very roughly) to see how the pacing goes.

Matthew R. Rodwell
01-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Just find some talented professional auctioneers that can spitout about 250 words a minute, they will get that dialog moving right along, heck you might even have a couple minutes to spare.

Don't like that idea huh? Well just do what your doing but in post speed up the footage till it fits and tell everyone to slow it down before they watch it, otherwise they will think its another Alvin and the Chipmonks promo.

I'm sure you guys will do fine, besides this is the most anticipated short of 2008, they were even talking about it on 101X this morning on my way to work :D

Wild Imagination Films
01-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I heard they were shutting down I35 and Mopac for Luis to be able to film the dramatic chase scenes.

Luis Caffesse
01-06-2008, 11:48 AM
I heard they were shutting down I35 and Mopac for Luis to be able to film the dramatic chase scenes.

Nah.
The city offerred...but I like to 'keep it real.'
We get better performances that way.

Of course if I were you I'd stay off the freeway that day.

kurtmo
01-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Good luck on the time issue. It can be rough.

After a real struggle to get under 6 minutes on my last fest entry, I decided to keep the my script tight and the story straightforward. Should end up just over 5 for my film.

Of course, I didn't think 6 would be an issue last time either...

Luis Caffesse
01-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Sent the script off to the actors (and a few others for feedback) Sunday night - looks like overall we're getting a good reaction to it.

One location is still iffy - but everything else seems to be locked in place.
Still trying to figure out the logistics of the schedule - having to work around business hours and day/night. It could be a little tricky, but hopefully everyone is up for it.

Final rehearsal is this Saturday.
Shoot is definitely nailed down now for the 19th and 20th.
We're hoping to get everything in those two days.

I have to say - this has been a blast so far.
It's been too long since I worked on something just 'for fun' (so to speak).

Robbie Comeau
01-08-2008, 09:58 AM
My auditions are this saturday, think of me :)

Ha ha, looks like you're doing pretty good then.

It's both our first time Luis, so lets have fun with it.

Luis Caffesse
01-08-2008, 10:01 AM
It's both our first time Luis, so lets have fun with it.

I can't possibly express how wrong that sounds.

Mark Harris
01-08-2008, 10:08 AM
I can't possibly express how wrong that sounds.

LOL.

Robbie Comeau
01-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Wow, you know what I mean. Lol

Tom Marshall
01-08-2008, 12:50 PM
I vote Robbie for dvxuser mascot...

Robbie Comeau
01-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Yes!

Jeff Anderson
01-08-2008, 01:05 PM
oh no... well, you'll need to get a cape. and a mask. get on it.

Robbie Comeau
01-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Funny thing is, is I'll actually do it...

Jeff Anderson
01-08-2008, 04:03 PM
do what? Dance around in a cape and mask and travel from dvxuser meetup to dvxuser meetup doing backflips and what-not? I do a mean triple how-now-brown-cow-what-not. You should see it :)

Tom Marshall
01-08-2008, 04:04 PM
I think we should be able to light him on fire to kick off meetings... what do you think?

Matthew R. Rodwell
01-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Luis, the animal trainer called me about the 13 white tigers, where did you want them delivered? I personally think you could pull this scene off with 10 but who am I to object. This is going to be amazing!

Jeff Anderson
01-08-2008, 04:09 PM
I think we should be able to light him on fire to kick off meetings... what do you think?

I'm in!!!!

Luis Caffesse
01-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Luis, the animal trainer called me about the 13 white tigers, where did you want them delivered? I personally think you could pull this scene off with 10 but who am I to object. This is going to be amazing!

Don't question my vision.
Have them delivered behind the 'Red Lobster' - they can leave the cages next to the Winnebago with the cracked windshield.*

*that's not a prop - that's my home

Tom Marshall
01-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Hey Luis, you should put como in your short... he'll let you light him on fire. :thumbsup: Jeff and I can supervise...

Jeff Anderson
01-08-2008, 04:33 PM
yeah I'm a trained firelighter - I can get just about anything to catch on fire. Tom, can you put fires out? We probably should have someone around that has done that before.

Tom Marshall
01-08-2008, 04:38 PM
No, I'm usually one to start the fires... we'll have to find someone to actually put it out. Either that or pray for rain when we do light him on fire... :)

Blaine
01-08-2008, 04:41 PM
I know someone that can do a rain dance.

Tom Marshall
01-08-2008, 04:44 PM
I know someone that can do a rain dance.

Good enough! :grin:

Jeff Anderson
01-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Ya know I lit some nachos on fire (tried to melt the cheese with a small torch) and put the fire out by beating it with an oven mitt the other day... I'm pretty sure we could scale this up to just hitting como with something til the fires out...

como- make sure that mask and cape isnt nylon or polyester. Nomex would be a good choice.

Luis - Tom and I will be in need of a couple silver space suit things in order stay safe. And steaks. Raw's fine. You may want to park your house a little extra farther away for this one.

Zak Forsman
01-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Hey Luis, you should put como in your short... he'll let you light him on fire. :thumbsup: Jeff and I can supervise...

there we go!! next go round -- ComoFest! everyone is required to feature a caped Como "prop" in their shorts.

(yeah, i know how that sounds)

Zak Forsman
01-08-2008, 04:51 PM
I already have my title: "Teh Comophobe"

Jeff Anderson
01-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Como in your shorts is creepy. Como on fire in your shorts is also creepy, however Tom and I available to light Como on fire in your shorts. Please supply steaks for us to enjoy after you are done having Como in your shorts.

DevonKrain
01-08-2008, 04:56 PM
You guys are silly. I think Como and Hunter are in each other's shorts already. How much to get Hunter in my shorts?

Jeff Anderson
01-08-2008, 04:58 PM
on fire or not?

DevonKrain
01-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Oh.... I think he's already on fire.

DevonKrain
01-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Polluting a mod's Lovefest thread is fun, but not recommended.

Luis Caffesse
01-08-2008, 05:12 PM
That's solid advice Devon.

DevonKrain
01-08-2008, 05:15 PM
uh-oh.... dad's here.

Sorrrrrryy.

Luis Caffesse
01-08-2008, 05:18 PM
uh-oh.... dad's here.

Ha.
Yeah I know - I used to be cool... I used to be about the music.... my early stuff was better.
Old age will do that I guess.

Zak Forsman
01-08-2008, 05:19 PM
http://www.sacredsites.com/shop/images/dvd-book/flow-cvr.jpg

Jeff Anderson
01-08-2008, 05:20 PM
sorry luis we'll be in our rooms thinking about what we did... How's the short coming btw? See - we're right back on track :)

Jeff Anderson
01-08-2008, 05:21 PM
http://www.sacredsites.com/shop/images/dvd-book/flow-cvr.jpg

I dont understand it, but I know enough to be afraid of it...

Zak Forsman
01-08-2008, 05:23 PM
http://beyondcreativity.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/flow_1.jpg

DevonKrain
01-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Are you saying Luis has "healthy hands"?

Mark Harris
01-08-2008, 07:55 PM
I vote Robbie for dvxuser mascot...

Does that mean you're stepping down, Tommy?

Ooooooooo, sizzle!:)

Marlon Ladd
01-09-2008, 06:36 AM
That water looks real swimmable right now.

Jason Ramsey
01-11-2008, 07:23 PM
The Comophobe.... that's your new name, Zak :)

How's it coming with this Luis... You gonna be shooting this with your new adapter, I would assume? What lens?

Later,
Jason

Luis Caffesse
01-12-2008, 12:29 AM
First off... I LOVE Zak's new name.

Things are going well on the short.
We're meeting with the actors tomorrow to do some rehearsal now that we have a 'final' script. I put final in quotes because we're still open to some improv and adlibs - we'll see if anything new finds its way in tomorrow (or anything old finds its way out).

As far as using an adapter...shhhhhhhhh
We'll see.
I'm a bit aprehensive actually - I usually like going into a shoot confident that I know my gear inside and out. We got a Letus Extreme just a few days ago - and we're shooting next week. If we shoot with it, we'll be using a Nikon 50mm 1.8 for the bulk fo the shoot. There is a possibility we'll rent some other lenses if we go that route.
I'm 90% sure we're going forward with the adapter... I'd just hate to have some great performances ruined by focus issues (and I'm not exactly set up fully with a monitor, follow focus, etc etc etc).

But - techy stuff is for Sunday - I'm not going to worry about it now (says the guy who just finished posting Letus res charts in the '35mm Adapter' forum).
Tomorow its all about performance.
I'm really looking forward to seeing our actors tackle this one - so far we've all been on the same page it seems, and it really feels good when you feel like everyone around you is 'making the same movie' so to speak.

I'll update more as things progress.

ugafan
01-12-2008, 04:52 PM
"carry-on"

let me guess...two people accidentally pick up the other's baggage. am i close?

Luis Caffesse
01-13-2008, 09:37 AM
"carry-on"

let me guess...two people accidentally pick up the other's baggage. am i close?

That all depends on what you mean by 'baggage.'

Luis Caffesse
01-13-2008, 09:46 AM
Had our final rehearsal yesterday with our two main actors.
It could not have gone better.

It's great to work with people that are serious about their acting and can really get into the project. I just hope that we can do them justice and capture what I see in person from them onto the little screen.

The best thing that came out of yesterday - for me anyhow - was some serious hope that this story is going to be under 6 minutes long. I was sweating it for a while...and had finally told myself I was just going to worry about making the best short we could make without worrying about the length. Well, after what we did yesterday I'm pretty confident that it won't be too much of a problem - it'll still be tight...but not impossible.

We ran through the script a few times, just doing read throughs and giving some minor direction to get the tone we were looking for. After a few runs of that we actually did an entire 'mock shoot.' Shooting in my house, we set up one corner of my living room as one location, the entry way as another, and used my backyard as another.

This is the first time I've ever tried that - and actually this is the first project where we've recorded the rehearsals at all. I have to say, it's been very eye opening.
It's helped not only in pacing, but in trying to find the right level of emotion for each scene, as well as with shot selection.

Well - at least I think it's going to help.
I guess we'll see when the entire piece is actually done.

Shoot is moving forward for the 19th and 20th
We've found our last speaking role just yesterday, so the entire thing is now 'officially' cast.
One location is still up in the air - but hopefully it will all fall into place.

I have to tell you - this beats working on promos, commercials, etc etc any day of the week. I'm glad I finally got off my ass to put something together - and it's thanks to these fests that I'm doing it.

Brandon Rice
01-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Rock on bro! Can't wait to see it! :thumbsup:

Drew Ott
01-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Good luck Luis.

With me around you're going to need it.

Tom Marshall
01-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Good luck Luis.

With Drew around you're going to need it.

artofsuntzu
01-15-2008, 02:46 PM
... actually this is the first project where we've recorded the rehearsals at all.

Looking forward to your short.

Care to share any stills from the rehearsals so far?

Luis Caffesse
01-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Looking forward to your short.

Care to share any stills from the rehearsals so far?

Trust me - they aren't much to look at.
I'll gladly post anything and everything from behind the scenes after the short is finished - but for now I'd rather wait.
I want to try to put our best foot forward - and a wide shot with available light of two actors sitting down isn't all that exciting.

But - when it's all said and done I plan on putting up some BTS stuff showing our workflow with the actors.
That's only if the short isn't horrible - of course.

I may put up some grabs after this weekends shoot -
Speaking of which - got some great news today.
We're moving forward shooting this with a 35mm adapter - and I was able to secure a set of Nikon mount Zeiss primes.

Now if this thing looks bad I only have myself to blame.

artofsuntzu
01-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Trust me - they aren't much to look at..

Thought I'd ask. You never know. Our most memorable/shocking moment came during a taped rehearsal that I'm still not allowed to show publicly.

Simon Höfer
01-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Really can't wait to see this one :) Keep it flowing!

Luis Caffesse
01-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Well - locations are all locked, actors are all set, we're getting close.
Revised and locked the script a few days ago.
Spent last night scouting the locations with a DP friend of mind who is helping me in coming up with simple lighting setups that my feable mind can handle.
It's almost starting to feel like a 'real' production now.

Put together the schedule breakdown for cast and crew last night -
(speaking of which, Drew did you recieve that? Let me know)

About to head out soon to pick up some last odds and ends - and see if I can't figure out a way to fashion some snoots for my soft lights.

Doing some last minute camera/lighting tests later today (once I pick up the lens package we'll be using).

At this point - I just pray the weather cooperates with us.
It's looking pretty nasty here today.
But if all goes well (which it rarely does) by Sunday night this thing will be in the can
(or on the drive, to be more accurate).

ugafan
01-18-2008, 01:13 PM
good luck luis. you're one of the funniest guys on dvxuser so i'm expecting a good showing here. :beer:

Marlon Ladd
01-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Yeah, don't stress too much, Luis. It's seems to be comin' together for you. Can't wait to see some grabs.

Kyle Stebbins
01-18-2008, 01:21 PM
At this point - I just pray the weather cooperates with us.
It's looking pretty nasty here today.

You're down in Texas, right? Did you get hit with snow over the past two days like us?

Stephen Mick
01-18-2008, 01:28 PM
You're down in Texas, right? Did you get hit with snow over the past two days like us?

Nope, that's why we live in Texas. :D

Luis Caffesse
01-18-2008, 02:35 PM
good luck luis. you're one of the funniest guys on dvxuser so i'm expecting a good showing here. :beer:

This may not be what you expect.

(unless you expect something completely unrelated to my being funny - in which case you'll be pleased).

Nope, that's why we live in Texas. :D

Nice.

ugafan
01-18-2008, 05:22 PM
This may not be what you expect.

(unless you expect something completely unrelated to my being funny - in which case you'll be pleased).

ah man, i was hoping you would do do a comedy. either way though, i'm sure it will be good.

Zak Forsman
01-18-2008, 05:32 PM
hey uga, funny or not, you can go ahead and laugh at mine. i don't care.

Kyle Stebbins
01-18-2008, 06:35 PM
hey uga, funny or not, you can go ahead and laugh at mine. i don't care.

Amen to that.

Jack Daniel Stanley
01-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Hey I didn't know you had a film / thread.
Lots to look forward too this fest :beer:

Luis Caffesse
01-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Hey I didn't know you had a film / thread.
Lots to look forward too this fest :beer:

No film yet...just a thread.
If all goes well after this weekend, I'll soon have both.

Luis Caffesse
01-18-2008, 08:14 PM
ah man, i was hoping you would do do a comedy.

Who knows - maybe it is funny.
You tell me.
I feel like I've lost all perspective at this point.

Wild Imagination Films
01-19-2008, 02:51 AM
Luis,
Last week short sleeves this weekend, !?!?!?!?!? so much for the Texas winter factor huh? Good luck with your shooting. Hope you're indoors. We won't be.

Luis Caffesse
01-19-2008, 05:30 AM
Luis,
Last week short sleeves this weekend, !?!?!?!?!? so much for the Texas winter factor huh? Good luck with your shooting. Hope you're indoors. We won't be.

I wish we were indoors as well.
Most of today is exteriors (including our shoot at midnight, which is technically tomorrow).

Alright, I'm off - if all goes well we'll have about 75% of this thing shot in less than 24 hours.

Stephen Mick
01-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Just wanted to report that we're at the first location and, despite the laughter of our photographic crew and the buses driving by, all is good.

Can anyone out there stop the traffic on Duval?

--SM

Mark Johnson
01-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Just wanted to report that we're at the first location and, despite the laughter of our photographic crew and the buses driving by, all is good.

Can anyone out there stop the traffic on Duval?

--SM

On my way.

Kyle Stebbins
01-19-2008, 11:54 AM
i'll grab my bicycle and speed south. be there in 3 weeks.

ugafan
01-19-2008, 10:30 PM
so how did the big day go luis?

Drew Ott
01-20-2008, 02:01 AM
so how did the big day go luis?

Luis will answer this too modestly so I'll jump in and say it went quite well.

I'm just getting home from our night shoot (4:00 am here) and we just have one more scene tomorrow.

Luis Caffesse
01-20-2008, 02:01 AM
Just got home.
Dumping footage right now ... it's now 4am.
Needless to say I'm exhausted - but thanks to our incredible actors & crew we were able to get everything done and stay relatively on schedule.

It was freezing, and we just finished shooting a night exterior scene starting at about 1am until around 3am. But - no one complained - and I think we got some good stuff (about to check it out now before crashing).

Alright - I've got to get some sleep.
I'm starting to realize why I had never made a film for a fest before.

Luis Caffesse
01-20-2008, 02:02 AM
HAHAHhahahah Drew.
That's classic.

Of course we both got online once we got home - I mean, what else would we do?

Mark Harris
01-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Just got home.
Dumping footage right now ... it's now 4am.
Needless to say I'm exhausted - but thanks to our incredible actors & crew we were able to get everything done and stay relatively on schedule.

It was freezing, and we just finished shooting a night exterior scene starting at about 1am until around 3am. But - no one complained - and I think we got some good stuff (about to check it out now before crashing).

Alright - I've got to get some sleep.
I'm starting to realize why I had never made a film for a fest before.

ha ha, welcome to our world, Luis...

Chris Messineo
01-20-2008, 01:24 PM
I was absent from the boards for a bit and totally psyched when I got back to see that you have a film in LoveFest. I just read the thread and it sounds like things are going great.

Best of luck with it - I'm really looking forward to checking it out.

Luis Caffesse
01-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks Chris.

Packing up gear right now and about to head out the door for what should theoretically be our last piece of shooting.
God willing by about 11pm tonight we'll be wrapped -

(keeping fingers crossed)

I'll post again tonight.

Luis Caffesse
01-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Whew.

We wrapped about an hour ago!
I'm dumping the last of the footage into the computer right now.
It was a hell of a weekend - and luckily, other than the cold, there weren't any real obstacles along the way.

I can only hope that everything came out as well as I think it did - if so, I think we got some great stuff this weekend.
And there is no way we could have done it without the cast and the crew that we had (I know, I know, EVERYONE says that).

But I actually mean it.

Alright... I'm off to review some footage.

Jack Daniel Stanley
01-20-2008, 11:12 PM
congrats on the wrap ....

we expect grabs forthwith.

Chris Messineo
01-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Great news on the wrap. It sounds like all of your prep paid off.

As Jack said, some grabs would be cool.

Brandon Rice
01-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Hey man! Props on finishing up! Can't wait to see some grabs, and obviously the final film!

Kyle Stebbins
01-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Cool, dude! Congrats!! Waiting patiently for the grabs........

Luis Caffesse
01-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Damn - looks like everyone wants grabs....
I'm going to hold off on grabs for right now until I have some time with the footage -
being my first fest here, I want to put our best foot forward.

That and I like keeping a bit of anticipation.

I'm about to post some BTS pics on the first page.
Just a little something to at least prove to you guys that we actually did shoot something.

I'm starting to think it woudl have been a good idea to get a shot of me on set holding that day's newspaper... like a hostage.

Mark Harris
01-21-2008, 02:50 PM
lame. make with the grabs already.

Wait, is this movie based on the KANSAS song?

Simon Höfer
01-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Nice BTS shots... but hmm, I reall want to see the wookie :D

And where are the grabs? Man, you should have a look at these guys thread. (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=115553) They really do deliver... and fast! :D

Just kidding :P Really looking forward to it. Seems to be really promising!

Jeff Anderson
01-21-2008, 04:30 PM
BTS is looking good Luis! Any troubles with the Letus since it was relatively new?

Luis Caffesse
01-21-2008, 04:52 PM
As far as I know - no trouble at all.
We'll see after I get really go through the footage with a fine toothed comb.
I mean, the only 'problem' was focus - but that had nothing to do with the Letus - and everything to do with the fact that I didn't have an on camera monitor. So all I had to go off of was the HVX viewfinder and LCD.

Yeah, I know.

But no - the Letus was great (so were the Letus rails) - no complaints at all.

Jeff Anderson
01-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Cool just curious how easy it was to "adapt" :)

Luis Caffesse
01-21-2008, 04:59 PM
It's not completely easy - I'll tell you that -
But it had nothing to do with the adapter itself - more to do with the lenses.
Using the DVX and then the HVX we get so used to just setting up and zooming in to get the the shot - but working with prime lenses (which is all we had) it becomes a bit more difficult...well, not more difficult really, but different.

Other than that - it was really just a matter of getting used to checking focus, zoom setting, etc before each shot - I'm sure it will be second nature in no time.

Jeff Anderson
01-21-2008, 05:09 PM
True, I never thought about not being able to zoom in to check focus since you are using primes... So was this enough to make a monitor your next acquisition?

Blaine
01-21-2008, 07:02 PM
I believe there was a Wookie sighting in that first shot as well...:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Luis Caffesse
01-21-2008, 10:37 PM
I believe there was a Wookie sighting in that first shot as well...:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Must be a hoax.

Luis Caffesse
01-21-2008, 11:18 PM
True, I never thought about not being able to zoom in to check focus since you are using primes... So was this enough to make a monitor your next acquisition?

Well, it wasn't so much the issue of not being able to zoom in to check focus (though that takes some getting used to as well, because it's second nature to zoom in - focus - then zoom out). What I meant was that it takes some getting used to working with prime lenses as opposed to a zoom lens.

We were lucky in that I was able to borrow a set of Zeiss primes - so we had a good range. We had a 25, 35, 50, and 85. I can't imagine shooting with only a single 50mm lens - which is what I was going to do until I was able to secure the lenses we wound up using.

I realize it may sound amateurish to say it took some getting used to - but with the stock lens I'm just used to setting the camera up in the ballpark of where I want it, and being able to zoom in a bit here and there if need be - or zoom in in the middle of a take if I see something interesting going on (or vice versa). Now with the Letus you do have some wiggle room - I need to zoom in to about 24.6 to clear the vignetting on these Zeiss lenses - but I can zoom in further without catching any grain. But it's nothing like having the full zoom range we're used to with the HVX.

So, that took some getting used to - putting a lens on there, looking through the viewfinder and realizing, "okay - that's my field of view."

As far as focus goes - I pretty much knew going into this that it was going to be an issue - and did my best to keep it sharp. I'm sure I"ll be cutting around a lot of soft stuff, and in certain scenes I'm okay with using a soft take if it means getting a better performance. Yes - a monitor is ideal, and I'd LOVE to get one soon. But I'm not sure how quickly I'll be picking one up - mainly due to cost, unfortunately.

Jason Ramsey
01-22-2008, 12:54 AM
I can't imagine shooting with only a single 50mm lens

Hey, man... don't knock the one lens people.... Some of us live in the middle of nowhere and can't go borrow a set of Zeiss glass from our friends :evil:

Seriously, though... Congrats on the wrap. Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Luis. I'm excited. Mod Squad first time fest entries in the house! We should start our own special club, man.... and you can let me borrow those lenses :)

Later,
Jason

Luis Caffesse
01-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Hey, man... don't knock the one lens people....

Dont' get me wrong - I didn't mean it as a 'knock' - I was just saying I can't imagine shooting what I shot with only a 50mm in the same way I would say I can't imagine shooting it all with available light. I'm not saying it can't be done - just saying it would have been much more difficult. In some of the locations we shot - we would have been stuck with only having a close up on the talent, for example - because we wouldn't have been able to get back far enough.

Besides, I have a sneaking suspicion that you did just fine with the lens you had.

artofsuntzu
01-22-2008, 09:03 AM
... and I like keeping a bit of anticipation.

Well it worked. I loved the BTS and can't wait for the grabs.

Cliff Wildman
01-22-2008, 03:11 PM
yeah luis, i can't wait for the grabs either. what gives!? i would post some, but the wookie would eviscerate me. :kali:

very fun shoot. still recovering. can't wait to get it out there!

Luis Caffesse
01-22-2008, 03:18 PM
still recovering.

Yeah, we aren't 18 anymore.

Well... except for Drew... who is not 18 yet

Dan Vance
01-22-2008, 04:24 PM

Oh, Waah...
:crybaby:

Kids.

Luis Caffesse
01-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Oh, Waah...

Kids.

Hahaha.
Hey, I'm not complaining - just stating a fact.
I am not 18 anymore.

Mark Harris
01-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Well, I'll hand it to you Luis, no one knows how to procrastinate posting grabs better than you...:)

Blaine
01-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Oh, Waah...

Kids.
http://dvxuser.mikkowilson.com/banhim.jpg:grin::grin::grin:

Brandon Rice
01-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Grabs!

Kyle Stebbins
01-22-2008, 06:42 PM
http://dvxuser.mikkowilson.com/banhim.jpg:grin::grin::grin:

I just laughed out loud in my geology class.
It was tough to hold it in, this is hilarious. I love John Cleese!

Luis Caffesse
01-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Well, I'll hand it to you Luis, no one knows how to procrastinate posting grabs better than you...:)

I've been meaning to respond to this with some witty remark.
I'll come up with one later.

Robbie Comeau
01-23-2008, 08:55 AM

Well... except for Drew... who is not 18 yet

Or me ;)

Hows the film coming Luis?

Zak Forsman
01-23-2008, 10:32 AM

yes, choose your words carefully. you wouldn't want to post the first thought that "grabs" you.

Marlon Ladd
01-23-2008, 11:49 AM

We're waiting.....Is that too much pressure??

Luis Caffesse
01-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Hey - it's 'LoveFest'.... can you blame me for playing hard to get?

Ted Arabian
01-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Hey Luis, congrats on entering the fest. I have seen your furry face many times on dvxuser, but not here in the festival section. Is this your first or am I mistaken?

Either way, best to you!

Looking forward to seeing your work!

-Ted

Luis Caffesse
01-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Is this your first or am I mistaken?

Yup, this is my first.
Be gentle.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Robbie Comeau
01-24-2008, 09:45 AM
CAFFESSE will your wife be helping you out on this one?

Luis Caffesse
01-24-2008, 09:53 AM
CAFFESSE will your wife be helping you out on this one?

Both my wife and Cliff's wife were indispensible during the production on this
(as well as during the prepro and writing stages).

Actually the BTS stills on the first page were all taken by my wife.
Cliff's wife also took a bunch of photos, but I haven't seen any of those yet.

And, as always, they are our sounding boards during the editing process.
So yeah, most definitely - we couldn't get anything done without their help and support.

We're both incredibly lucky to have wives that support such ridiculous endeavours.

Ted Arabian
01-24-2008, 09:58 AM
We're both incredibly lucky to have wives that support such ridiculous endeavours.

Aren't we all!

Mark Harris
01-24-2008, 10:19 AM

Where do you find these crazy broads? Hook a brotha up!!!!

Robbie Comeau
01-24-2008, 10:26 AM

*Female ;)

Luis Caffesse
01-24-2008, 10:29 AM

I can't remember the website off the top of my head, but as soon as I find it I'll make sure to send it your way.

Jared Meyer
01-24-2008, 10:51 AM
I can't remember the website off the top of my head, but as soon as I find it I'll make sure to send it your way.

Oh snap!!!! He's still got it.

That really made me laugh. :laugh:

Marlon Ladd
01-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Yeah, I second that.

Marlon Ladd
01-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Oh, did you say what kind of camera you were using, Luis? Cool BTS BTW.

Luis Caffesse
01-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Oh, did you say what kind of camera you were using, Luis? Cool BTS BTW.

No I didn't.
But I figured you would all recognize the sexy backend of the HVX in those BTS shots.

Marlon Ladd
01-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Yeah, that was. . .s-e-x-y! My DVX has got a bigger a$$ though. LOL.

Luis Caffesse
01-26-2008, 12:17 AM
Quick update:

In the throes of editing...and I'm pretty optimistic that we're not going to have an issue with the running time
(knock on wood with fingers crossed).

I have so far cut 3:27min - and that represents the first 4 full pages of the script.
The script is about 6.5 pages (maybe a little bit more).
So while it'll be tight, it looks like we'll be coming in just at (or under) the limit.
(as long as things keep going at this pace, of course)

whew.

Of course, I'm probably the only one who was losing sleep over this.

Now all we have to worry about is making the deadline....

Brandon Rice
01-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Any grabs?

Robbie Comeau
01-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Good job Luis.

Post some grabs if you may,

Thanks.

Luis Caffesse
01-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Update -

JUST finished the first rough cut.
I just cut it as written - not worrying about the length....

Pleased to see that it came in at 5 min 54 seconds.
How's that for writing it close?

If anything - our final cut will probably be a little shorter... but not by much.
The thing is still very rough right now - audio is all over the map - some cuts are definitely in need of some tweaking, etc etc etc. But - I'd say we're 50% of the way there in at least having our rough cut done (and on schedule also).

No grabs yet.
You guys are just going to have to hold tight.

Deadline we set for ourselves is Tuesday night for the final picture lock - then we'll move onto audio and color work.
That's when you might see some grabs...

Then again - I can't help but think...we're talking about a 6 minute short....
...how much of it do you really want to see before you just watch the thing?

(then again, I'm the kind of guy who won't even look at a movie poster - much less a trailer - if I think I'm going to want to see the movie)

Blaine
01-28-2008, 12:31 AM
Good on ya, Luis!

Jack Daniel Stanley
01-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Update -

JUST finished the first rough cut. After FINALLY getting of Skype with Jack by pretending that my girl friend was making me quit chatting. Sheesh ever get that guy going? "blah blah blah, me .... blah blah blah me, but enough about me, what do you think about me"

whaaaaa! :badputer:

:grin:

Update -
No grabs yet.
Then again - I can't help but think...we're talking about a 6 minute short....
...how much of it do you really want to see before you just watch the thing?
Uhm like a couple of grabs you stingy bastard! :)

Luis Caffesse
01-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Hahahahaahaaaa
Awesome.

By the way, it was my wife - not my girlfriend.
Don't ever get those two confused - trust me, it's a recipe for disaster.

We went out last night (pretty much immediately after I bailed on you)
Got back around 11:30, at which point I went back to editing until about 2:30am
I'm about to go back now to see if what I cut even made any sense.

(fingers crossed)

Jason Ramsey
01-28-2008, 09:06 AM
yah. and post some grabs, fool.

Later,
Jason

Cliff Wildman
01-28-2008, 01:17 PM
i just have to say it's pretty damn funny to have the rough cut come in under 6 minutes.

there was a lot of tossing and turning, sleepless nights, and concern we wouldn't make it and would have to enter a non-competitive entry or hack something together under the time limit. either would have sucked.

whew... i'm glad we cut that chase sequence out. that would have put us way over the top. of course, we could never find a horse a boat and a three-man bicycle to make it happen if we DID want it anyways. at least all three on the same day.

Luis Caffesse
01-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Yeah, you were right.
Sometimes these things just work out.

Luis Caffesse
01-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Care to share any stills...
Can't wait to see some grabs.
we expect grabs forthwith.
some grabs would be cool.
Can't wait to see some grabs
Waiting patiently for the grabs........
make with the grabs already.
where are the grabs?
can't wait for the grabs.
i can't wait for the grabs either.
no one knows how to procrastinate posting grabs better than you...:)
Grabs!
Any grabs?
Post some grabs if you may
a couple of grabs you stingy bastard! :)
post some grabs, fool.

I'm getting the feeling that maybe people want to see some grabs.
Call it intuition.

So for now, I've posted a grab of the first thing we shot for the film.
Consider it a teaser grab.

You've worn me down....more production grabs coming at the end of this week.

Mark Harris
01-29-2008, 08:54 AM
You must drive both your wife AND your girlfriend crazy.

Marlon Ladd
01-29-2008, 08:54 AM
LOL. Luis, how'd you do that?? I call that pressure.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Son of a .....!!

:D

Mark Harris
01-29-2008, 08:56 AM
All I gotta say is this film better be the best fucking film I've ever seen.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-29-2008, 09:02 AM
All I gotta say is this film better be the best poo pooing film I've ever seen.

I can see it now...

FADE IN:

A rather large fellow is sitting in a Lazy boy, shirtless. He's trying to get some lint out of his bellybutton. His wife walks by, hands him a beer, and removes the lint for him.

Large Shirtless Fellow: Thanks, Honey.

Wife: No problem, Dear.

Roll credits.

Now that's love.

Luis Caffesse
01-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Alright - who leaked the script??

Mark Harris
01-29-2008, 09:07 AM
I can see it now...

FADE IN:

A rather large fellow is sitting in a Lazy boy, shirtless. He's trying to get some lint out of his bellybutton. His wife walks by, hands him a beer, and removes the lint for him.

Roll credits.

Now that's love.

I'm just trying to figure out where you hid the camera in my apt to see all that. Creepy...

Zak Forsman
01-29-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm just trying to figure out where you hid the camera in my apt to see all that. Creepy...

belly button cam...

http://www.blackwidowav.com/kx141cleanhand2s.jpg

Mark Harris
01-29-2008, 09:17 AM
belly button cam...

http://www.blackwidowav.com/kx141cleanhand2s.jpg

Oh, is that where that goes? I was WAY off...

Okay, sorry Luis, no more thread-jack with stupid shit. Or maybe I should jack this thread until you post some grabs...

ugafan
01-29-2008, 09:23 AM
I can see it now...

FADE IN:

Roll credits.

now that's filmmaking! :beer:

Mrs. Caffesse
01-29-2008, 01:44 PM

Actually, Mrs. Wildman and I are old friends, we used to work together at the Crazy Broad Saloon. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU)

That's where we met the loves of our respective lives.

BTW, y'all should just give up the "grabs" grubbing.

you have a better shot at winning the lottery.

Marlon Ladd
01-29-2008, 01:52 PM
OMG! Another Caffesse! LOL.

Okay, here's the plan:
1. Find Luis
2. Hit 'em upside the head
3. Grab the "grabs"
4. Run
5. Post 'em up.

Who's in??

Stephen Mick
01-29-2008, 02:02 PM
You're forgettin' about the dogs, Lee. The Caffesse's got two Rott-Pitt-Mastiff mixes, and they're the one guarding the grabs!

Count me out.

--SM

mrs.wildman
01-29-2008, 02:11 PM
alright - mrs.wildman in the hizzouse.

although my husband seems to be more of a lurker than a poster on here, it's my pleasure to take his place and tell you how awesome the mister's are. and how much awesome-er the short is. and also tell you how the more you ask for something (grabs) the less likely you are to get it - didn't your mothers ever teach you that? lay off on the grabs - they'll just spoil the surprise.

ok running to hide under the desk so i'm not strangled by the mr. for making an appearance here and playing mom.

oh - for a limited time only, i'm also accepting financial bribes if you want me to set you up with single friends.

Marlon Ladd
01-29-2008, 02:54 PM
You're forgettin' about the dogs, Lee. The Caffesse's got two Rott-Pitt-Mastiff mixes, and they're the one guarding the grabs!

Count me out.

--SM
Oh shiiiiiiiiii.....!

Luis Caffesse
01-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Here's a couple of photos my wife took of them recently:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2217/2217417374_2b458b8303.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2231/2229270238_f606d13a36.jpg

Think you can deal with that?

Stephen Mick
01-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Nothing some tranquilizers buried in some ground meat can't solve. :D

-SM

Simon Höfer
01-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Now I am scared O_o

Even this dog would run away seeing your monsterdog:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_uvgPtkOqSac/RpK32fdmTdI/AAAAAAAABuM/X4FmpS3tKHU/s320/muskelhund.jpg

Wild Imagination Films
01-29-2008, 03:10 PM
You haven't seen what they can do. It's... just too terrible to think about.(sob)

Luis's_Girlfriend
01-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Actually, Mrs. Wildman and I are old friends, we used to work together at the Crazy Broad Saloon. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU)

That's where we met the loves of our respective lives.

BTW, y'all should just give up the "grabs" grubbing.

you have a better shot at winning the lottery.

You leave these boys alone, missy!

And as for you, LUIS, whatever happened to that big insurance policy and that "accidental" fire, and you and me stealing away and sipping margartias on the beach in Mexico for the rest of our lives?

I HATE YOU YOU TWO-TIMING CREEP.

P.S. - You know that thing I do with a Bowling Ball? You'll NEVER see THAT again!

...now, where is that big handsome hunk of man, Mark Harris...?

Zak Forsman
01-29-2008, 04:29 PM
haha! don't make me bring M. Night back for a battle of the multiple accounts!

Jeff Anderson
01-29-2008, 04:36 PM
lol! this thread has become very special.

Luis Caffesse
01-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Wow, I don't think the story in our film can compete with the drama unfolding in this thread.

Mark Harris
01-30-2008, 05:34 AM

Mother-fucker. I just rickrolled...by a GIRL! I'm losin' my touch!

Mrs. Caffesse
01-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Mother-poo pooer. I just rickrolled...by a GIRL! I'm losin' my touch!

awesome. that made my day.

Dan Vance
01-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Okay, but seriously now...

What kind of bribe amounts are we talking about here?
I'm in.

Luis Caffesse
01-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Hahahha.

Alright - quick update:

I think we might have a locked edit (finally)....
still not 100% but at least the changes left to do now are pretty minor.

Audio is still a complete mess - haven't touched it at all.
As soon as we lock the picture I'll move on to that.

All in all I'm pretty happy with how it's looking.
I watched it with a fellow DVXUser yesterday - and caught some spots where it seemed to be dragging - tightened it up a bit since then...
now we're down to a lean 5:34min (plus credits).

I just sent a roughcut to another member here...we'll see what the feedback is like and go from there.

(members are kept anonymous to protect them from the DVXuser papparazzi)

Robbie Comeau
01-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Good to hear Luis.

Audio isn't my greatest strength, but it turned out great for my fest. I didn't have to adjust it to much, only in a couple of scenes.

So audio was great for me!

I hope you can clean up the audio, it's a major key as you already know...

Have fun :thumbsup:

Luis Caffesse
01-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Yeah - our audio is going to be rough.
Exterior dialogue scenes near a busy street - so plenty of traffic sounds cutting in and out right now....

... we'll see how well that goes.

Mark Harris
01-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah, same here. With our limited(no) budget, I did not have a sound man. Fortunately, Jack was on top of it most of the time. But I have one guy I work with whenever I can afford him and he shows up and you just never think about sound again. It's always perfect. But considering I made this film for like $200(no joke), there was no budget for it.

So I feel yer pain...

Wild Imagination Films
01-30-2008, 09:40 PM
What's audio?

Luis Caffesse
01-30-2008, 10:27 PM
What's audio?

Huh??
Sorry - could you speak up? ... I can't hear you over the traffic noise.

Luis Caffesse
01-31-2008, 12:01 AM
Got some more feedback tonight - seems like the cut is at least playing smoothly
(whether or not its any good is another issue entirely)

Haven't gotten much reaction to the content of the piece yet -
but then again so far everyone who has viewed it has also been familiar with the script.
That that there is anything shocking the story - or anything like that - but most people already gave me feedback on the script itself.
So I'm assuming they simply feel there isn't much left to say about the content.

I've got a couple of people left who don't know anything about it - and as soon as the audio is smooth then I'll be getting some (hopefully) unbiased and honest feedback on the whole.

The great thing that came out of this last piece of feedback was a final decision on a couple of edits at the very end of the film.
We were playing around with two different versions -
and the only detailed feedback I got back on the flm concerned the edits at the very end not being smooth enough.

So - that made our decision pretty easy.
God willing this thing will be locked down as of tomorrow morning (I want to sleep on these last couple of tweaks)
If all goes well tomorrow I start audio - then some CC work.

And yes, at the end of the week - I'll put up some grabs.
Don't worry - I haven't forgotten.

(Don't expect Lawrence of Arabia)

Blaine
01-31-2008, 12:35 AM
And yes, at the end of the week - I'll put up some grabs.
Don't worry - I haven't forgotten.

(Don't expect Lawrence of Arabia)You da man!!!

Mark Harris
01-31-2008, 03:24 AM
(Don't expect Lawrence of Arabia)

Are you saying your lead actor won't be orange?

Marlon Ladd
01-31-2008, 06:13 AM
Glad to see you makin' progress. Audio can be tough sometimes, but don't sweat it. I'm sure you probably won't have to do as much as you think.

Luis Caffesse
01-31-2008, 06:16 AM
Are you saying your lead actor won't be orange?

No, I'm saying my lead actor won't be Peter O'Toole

mentatDUKE
01-31-2008, 07:59 AM
Hi Luis. Glad to hear everything is coming together. I'd love to be able to test audience a film one day. I never have the time.

Hope the audio comes together. Good luck.

Luis Caffesse
01-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi Luis. Glad to hear everything is coming together. I'd love to be able to test audience a film one day. I never have the time.

Hope the audio comes together. Good luck.

Thanks.

Working on it right now... looks like it might be okay.
We'll see.

I'm hoping to have a cut that's watchable by the end of tomorrow.
Hopefully I can make that deadline.
I don't want to be one of the many rushing to upload at the last minute.

Zak Forsman
01-31-2008, 08:15 PM
it's Friday somewhere in the world. give up the goods!!! and by goods i mean 'grabs!!

Luis Caffesse
01-31-2008, 09:13 PM
it's Friday somewhere in the world. give up the goods!!! and by goods i mean 'grabs!!

Damn... and I didn't think anyone was paying attention.

I guess I need to figure that out...hmmmm
Well, it's still Thursday here so I've got some time.

kurtmo
02-01-2008, 04:16 AM
Glad it's all coming together. Looking forward to this.

Luis Caffesse
02-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Alright - I threw up some grabs from our first scene.
Clearly no CC work on those or anything of the like.

Just two people talking.... not much to see here folks.

kurtmo
02-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Someone should do a survey on coffee shops as locations. Nice shots!

Jeff Anderson
02-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Looks great Luis! After seeing those I have really high expectations now - really I do.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Sweet grabs! Nice framing....

Luis Caffesse
02-01-2008, 07:32 AM
It's simple - but the idea was to go for a 'natural' look.
I'm no DP (and don't pretend to be) but we did the best we could.
You can see the setup for that second grab in the first BTS shot in the post below it.

Just a couple of Flo lights as key, a reflector for some fill, and the backlight is that new Coollights HMI 150watt with a little CTO on it.
(thanks for Drew Ott for lending his Coollights gear to the shoot).

I should mention that fellow user Stephenmick also was invaluable - lending us his Arri kit as well as his shoulder rig for this.
They were used in other parts of the film.

Charlie Anderson
02-01-2008, 07:33 AM
Someone should do a survey on coffee shops as locations. Nice shots!
Man I wish I knew the secret to getting coffee shops as locations, I've been trying to get one for a music video for 3 months now! sheesh!

Mark Harris
02-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Jeeze Luis to hear you talk, I was expecting some really crappy stuff. Those look nice!

Luis Caffesse
02-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Jeeze Luis to hear you talk, I was expecting some really crappy stuff. Those look nice!

Hahahhaah.
Thanks, Mark.

Well, a lot of it is in trying to keep it simple and staying within my comfort zone.
Most of the work I've done in the past where I have to light my own stuff has been talking head interview type situations.
So... a couple of simple OTS shots was probably within my reach.

The stuff that really impresses me is the nice wide stuff that you guys have going on (like those bar shots through the window you posted).
Going in on a close up doesn't seem that tough to light. But lighting up a room like that and really creating depth with the shadow and light,
that's where I think you can really see someone's talent coming through (Timur, I'm looking in your direction)

Mark Harris
02-01-2008, 07:43 AM
What did you shoot in? 1080 or 720? can you post a full res grab when you get a sec? Which adapter is that?

Luis Caffesse
02-01-2008, 07:46 AM
It's the Letus Extreme.
We shot 1080, but I'll be mastering it on a 720P timeline.
(and I don't want to hear any guff about it)

Sure - give me a second and I'll put up a link to a full res grab.
I should say that any softness seen in the grabs is full my doing, and not a fault of the adapter. We got the Letus about a week before the shoot, so I'm not very experienced in working with it. We also shot with no monitor - so I had nothing to go off of but the HVX LCD screen (which is already inadequate for focus on its own in my opinion, much less with an adapter).

We had just about the best glass possible on the adapter given the nikon mount - a set of brand new Zeiss lenses (thanks to yet another gracious user on the site).

So let me see if I can find a point where I'm actually in focus.
When it's sharp...it's really sharp.
And when it's not.... it's my fault.

Mark Harris
02-01-2008, 07:48 AM
That's what I wondered. There seemed to be just a teeeny tiny bit of softness that might be chalked up to JPEG compression. No worries.

Luis Caffesse
02-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Nope - I would chalk it up to me. Either that, or motion blur.
These are pulled form the middle of a dialogue scene and they're moving around a bit.
That might play a part in it too. Either way - from what I've seen it's definitely not the fault of the adapter.

Here is a full res grab of her (http://www.pitchproductions.com/co/CO-grab2afull.tif)

Seems to be a lot of pixelation on it for some reason, and I'm not seeing that in FCP.
Not sure what's going on there (exported as uncompressed TIF).

Mark Harris
02-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Yeah, looks nice. I love the natural look. Can't wait to see it.

Robbie Comeau
02-01-2008, 10:14 AM
O..M..G...

Those grabs are stunning. Framing is spectacular!

Brandon Rice
02-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Those grabs are great!

Luis Caffesse
02-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Wow, thanks guys.

Como - about the framing - that's actually part of the reason I want to master this thing in a 720P timeline, it'll give me a little wiggle room with the framing so I can fix some head room issues and stuff. We'll see though... I might change my mind and decide it's not worth the trouble.

I've been working on the audio for the first scene since yesterday - it's only a minute long and I just finished the first pass at it. I think it's at least 'listenable' now...
I'm hoping the rest of the short will be much faster audio-wise seeing as the majority is interiors (with relatively no audio issues to deal with, like traffic).

Marlon Ladd
02-01-2008, 01:15 PM
YEAH! Luis posted grabs! LOL. They look really good. Could you post a few more? LOL. I'm just kidding. I need to post some my damn self - oops, did I say that out loud?

Blaine
02-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Nice, Luis. NOW, I believe it's real. Kick some ass with it!!!:happy:

Luis Caffesse
02-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Kick some ass with it!!!:happy:

Seeing as you have your own film... does this mean you're challenging me to a fight?

(cue Rocky theme)

Jack Daniel Stanley
02-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Luis in fight:
http://www.floridatoday.com/blogs/talktome/uploaded_images/cowardly-lion-771226.jpg

Luis Caffesse
02-01-2008, 04:58 PM
alright...that's it...
put em up, Jack

put em up

Jack Daniel Stanley
02-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Jack in fight:
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/3/8/5/3853d32219ebcc6f7916ddd43a66f590.gif

http://nobodyjacksstride.ytmnd.com/
http://nobodyjacksstride.ytmnd.com/

Luis Caffesse
02-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah - you look like you're going to cause some real damage....
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/resources/2007/07/jack_fat.jpg

Jack Daniel Stanley
02-01-2008, 05:32 PM
ROFL :grin:

Robert Eldon
02-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Screen grabs look great! Was it a challenge working with all of those windows?

Luis Caffesse
02-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Screen grabs look great! Was it a challenge working with all of those windows?

Thanks.

The windows weren't a problem at all - only because our shots didn't require them to look one way or another.
I used a polarizer to cut the distracting reflections in the OTS shots, and kept the reflections in the wide only because I prefered the way it looked.

But, you can see in our OTS grabs that the windows are barely discernable - so not an issue at all.

Blaine
02-01-2008, 10:15 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j50/Tamora_1337/roflmao.jpg
Jack looks fit as a fiddle in that pic.

ugafan
02-02-2008, 12:44 PM
some behind the scenes footage of luis having fun on set...

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t1WGfj5FoY)

Luis Caffesse
02-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Awesome.

Jack Daniel Stanley
02-02-2008, 01:16 PM
hahah that was awesome, good find ug.

kurtmo
02-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Man I wish I knew the secret to getting coffee shops as locations, I've been trying to get one for a music video for 3 months now! sheesh!

I sweet-talked the mgr into my coffee shop location. Then after she thought about she back peddled and I had to go the chains regional mgr. After they read my script got an email back stating "we'd love to have you film at one of our shops."

We basically got two hours to film. It was tight, but we got it done!

Luis Caffesse
02-02-2008, 03:40 PM
My secret was going to same place virtually every night for going on ten years.
About a week or two before shooting I asked the manager if we could shoot there -
He said "do whatever you want. I'll just give you the keys."

Well....apparently someone forgot to tell the owner. Or they told him and he forgot.
Not a huge deal - except that the owner gets text messages sent to his phone everytime the door opens while the place is closed. Well we were shooting after hours, and next thing I know (at nearly 3am) the owner comes driving up.

What's funny is you'd think he'd be mad, right?
I was prepared to apologize and ask him to please just let us get our last couple of shots.

Instead he sees me with the shoulder rig - and says "Oh - hey, if I'd known it was you I wouldn't have worried. I guess we just had a miscommunication here. Take your time, stay as long as you need."

Couldn't have been nicer.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Instead he sees me with the shoulder rig - and says "Oh - hey, if I'd known it was you I wouldn't have worried. I guess we just had a miscommunication here. Take your time, stay as long as you need."

:thumbsup:That's awesome!

:beer:

Luis Caffesse
02-03-2008, 12:21 PM
UPDATE:

Well...it's been a rough few days, but I think I'm just about finished with the audio.
Dialogue is at least cleaned up - still need to properly tweak our music and background sounds - but the dialogue was about 95% of the work on the audio...ugh.

We'll see.
I hadn't planned on working on this today (audio should have been done yesterday).
But hopefully by getting after it today I can get back on schedule - it took us one more day than planned to get a final picture edit, so I've been a day behind for a bit.

Tomorrow starts the more fun part for me...color work.
Nothing drastic planned - but I'm looking forward to it because I'm going to use this project as my first test run using Apple's Color (at least that's the plan anyhow).

If all goes according to plan (which it never does) we should have a final version of this thing by the end of Wednesday. That's the goal I've set anyhow, figure it leaves me a couple of days for any unforseen things that might crop up.

But all in all I have to say, I'm pretty happy with this short so far.
And I think that's just about the strongest statement I've ever said about anything I've made.

Zak Forsman
02-04-2008, 08:10 AM
luis, thanks for the update. glad youre happy with it. what are you using to do the color grading?

Luis Caffesse
02-04-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm going to attempt to use 'Color' - I've played around with it a bit, but never used it full on for a project so I figure this is as good a chance as any to try to learn the workflow.
We'll see how long it takes me to tear my hair out and go back to doing it all in FCP instead - but for now, that's the plan.

Charlie Anderson
02-04-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm going to attempt to use 'Color' - I've played around with it a bit, but never used it full on for a project so I figure this is as good a chance as any to try to learn the workflow.
We'll see how long it takes me to tear my hair out and go back to doing it all in FCP instead - but for now, that's the plan.
color is awesome :)

Zak Forsman
02-04-2008, 08:38 AM
me too. I'm using Color like a madman. I have very few complaints.

Jack Daniel Stanley
02-04-2008, 09:02 AM
...Instead he sees me with the shoulder rig - and says "Oh - hey, if I'd known it was you I wouldn't have worried. I guess we just had a miscommunication here. Take your time, stay as long as you need."

"I loved it in Austin
I wanted to stay
Cheap rent and Lone Star Beer
Lots a' places to play"
- Dead Milkmen "6 Days"

http://www.actionext.com/names_t/the_dead_milkmen_lyrics/six_days.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000003BFL001010/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_010

Wild Imagination Films
02-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Luis, Don't I know the location you shot at? It's looks sort of familiar.

Luis Caffesse
02-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Hehe.
Yeah, big surprise there, right?

Well, my first foray into 'Color' was rather uneventful today.
A lot of time was spent playing around, trying to figure out what I was doing.
By the time I figured out what I wanted to do my computer decided not to cooperate with me. The strangest thing happened - everytime I tried to render something my computer would go to sleep. Isn't that bizarre?

Long story short - I'm defragging the system drive right now, which means no more work until tomorrow. Hopefully it stops acting up after this.

So - this has put me a bit behind schedule again - I'm not sweating making the deadline...but I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to be able to put as much detail work into the final color/sound as I wanted. In the end the story is king anyhow, right?
I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Mark Harris
02-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Devote your life to it for the next 5 days Luis!!!!! Where is that Mrs Caffesse to crack the whip when you need her?

Looking forward to it.