PDA

View Full Version : Quip - a Jonathan Coy film

Lawsuit_Boy
12-13-2007, 05:05 AM
Information and poster are on their way. :) This is my first dvxuser fest entry,
so I'm pretty excited.

EDIT:

We're shooting on a dvx-100a, no 35mm attachments.

Story: A battle with cancer lost. A love life on the rocks. God-awful timing on both parts. Nicole Andrews
and Mike Carrington are on their absolute last thread in their relationship. Will Mike be able to confess
his numerous errors in the relationship and begin to find a balance between Nicole and himself, whatever that may
happen to mean?

In writing the script, I based it, in parts, on the real life events of a close friend and the awful roller coaster
he and his girlfriend went through as the girl's mother battled cancer (and eventually lost), her moving on to
college in another city, and their constant internal struggle because of a dramatic difference in social class.

UPDATE: It looks like "Quip", after shooting about 70% of it and having the music half-way done, may not have a final realization. Some unique circumstances have left us probably unable to finish shooting the rest of the film. It looks like I may be dropping out of this fest. :(

Lawsuit_Boy
12-13-2007, 05:05 AM
bts goodness + screens. :thumbsup:

edit: a couple early screens before official first shoot, un-graded.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Lawsuit_Boy/quip_2.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Lawsuit_Boy/quip_8.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Lawsuit_Boy/quip_19.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Lawsuit_Boy/quip_22.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Lawsuit_Boy/quip_3.jpg

Chris Messineo
12-14-2007, 06:41 AM
Welcome to your first Fest. This is my first entry as well.

Robbie Comeau
12-14-2007, 07:27 AM
Make that three...My first as well :)

I'm excited as well...Get some more info up, and good luck!

Dustin R. Rogan
12-14-2007, 08:18 AM
technically my first fest (as writer/director) i've been in 2 others as actor/boom/producer/editor but never writer/director...so good luck with you're first of many to come!

Zak Forsman
12-14-2007, 08:48 AM
lots of firsts! This us my DVXfest "debut" as well.

Lawsuit_Boy
12-14-2007, 09:22 AM
Wow, lots of debuts! Looks like this is going to be a very fun fest. :)

I'll have some more information about the film up within the day, a poster ASAP, and screens. Shooting begins in a couple of days, and I'm definitely excited. :)

Rick Meyer
12-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Nice Grabs Lawsuit...DVX?

Matty_g
12-16-2007, 09:47 PM
That first grab is pretty wonderful.
Looking forward to it.

Lawsuit_Boy
12-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks Matt :) Yeah, that first day we were just running tests, but there's a chance I'll use the footage because the weather was just breathtaking.

Lawsuit_Boy
12-17-2007, 08:42 AM
Nice Grabs Lawsuit...DVX?

Thanks rlm. Yep, dvx.

Zak Forsman
12-17-2007, 08:45 AM
gorgeous, man.

Lawsuit_Boy
12-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Thank you, Zak. :)

Also, new grab up from today's shoot.

Luis Caffesse
12-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Awesome frames, Jonathan.
Looking forward to seeing them move
:thumbsup:

Lawsuit_Boy
12-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks, Luis. Glad you're looking forward to it. :)

tmnt
12-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Nice grabs. Good luck!

Mark Johnson
12-19-2007, 09:13 AM
So this is a comedy, right?

just kidding. It looks fantastic. Love the old blacktop highway shot.

Lawsuit_Boy
12-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Too obviously a comedy, eh? haha, thanks for the feedback Mark and tmnt. :thumbsup:

Lawsuit_Boy
12-21-2007, 08:04 PM
couple new grabs up.

Luis Caffesse
12-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Love the wallpaper
:)

So are these from your 'official first shoot'?
How far along are you on this now?

Lawsuit_Boy
12-21-2007, 08:43 PM
haha, yeah. I chose that room because it has this odd "doll house" quality to it. The dining room shot is from our first shoot a few weeks ago, and the outdoor one is from today. We've got about 25% of the film shot. Tomorrow's going to be a BIG day. Lots to get done.

Jason Ramsey
12-22-2007, 10:55 PM
Hey, man. I'm trying to get caught up on everyone's threads (it's going to take a while).

Just wanted to tell you that it sounds intriguing. I'm interested to see how you play this thing out, being that you have a personal attachment to the content and all.

Good luck to you.

Later,
Jason

Lawsuit_Boy
12-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Jason. It's coming along very smoothly so far. I'm pretty happy with the direction I decided to take this project in. We're re-shooting some photos the day after Christmas, so I'll have a poster up in a matter of days.

Lawsuit_Boy
01-12-2008, 09:00 AM
top.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Nice grabs!

Cheers,

Mike

Zim
01-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Good luck. My first fest too. Good or bad mine is getting uploaded!!

Chris Messineo
01-20-2008, 12:54 PM
I love the grabs you have so far and I'm psyched to see what you were able to do without a 35mm adapter.

I just read that you might not get it done in time, but I hope you make it.

Lawsuit_Boy
01-30-2008, 11:31 AM
OK everybody, I have a quick question...

I feel very strongly that my film "Quip" could have been a very pleasant contribution to the festival had we had the time to finish it. My proposition: since it was almost completed, would anyone like to see the rough cut with a few bits and pieces missing? If so, I will try my hardest to get whatever else I can touched up, mark the missing shots in the edit, and upload it. Anyway, good luck to the rest of you! I look forward to seeing these puppies! :thumbsup:

Luis Caffesse
01-31-2008, 07:38 AM
Damn - I was really looking forward to this.
Are you sure there is no hope of picking up the pieces you still need?

I'd love to see a cut - but I'd rather see you finish it out.

mentatDUKE
01-31-2008, 07:47 AM
Hi Lawsuit Boy, I'm liking the grabs. Great outdoor environments. They establish a nice mood for me. I hope we get to see your film in some form. Good luck.

Lawsuit_Boy
01-31-2008, 08:25 AM
Damn - I was really looking forward to this.
Are you sure there is no hope of picking up the pieces you still need?

I'd love to see a cut - but I'd rather see you finish it out.

I would love to try to pick up the pieces, but being at a different branch of my university now, which is only a 25 minute drive from where we were shooting most of the film, it still puts a huge damper on the project. And I told my composer that if he wanted, he could finish up the music, but I wouldn't be using it. So, chances are, it was all mapped out in Sibelus, but not performed/recorded. So there is little chance of music.

I also need to do more ADR work, because A) we picked up a good portion of bad audio on set, and B) i'm unsatisfied with the lead performance and his V.O.

Lawsuit_Boy
03-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Hey everyone. I'm going to be posting my LoveFest entry "Quip" on the net within the day. The reason being that a lot of people were curious to see my entry, only I couldn't finish it by the deadline. There are still shots missing and a few test shots left in the rough cut. The audio was never fully mixed and the music that was written by our composer was never performed and recorded.

I'll have the video edited with letters at the bottom of the screen that will correspond to the lettered notes written in this post, so you'll know what should be between specific shots.

Once again, this isn't so much a display for all to see (even though it is), but a chance for those that were already interested to see what I was doing.

So sit tight, and I'll have the video up.

EDIT: Video uploaded. A little generational loss, so it's a little washed.

http://blip.tv/file/732869?filename=JonCoyLawsuitBoy-Quip216.mp4

Also, the file is about 90mb. I had it around 46mb for the Fest, but then I made it bigger with a higher bit rate to show everyone. I hope that size is ok with everyone. Now, for the undone:

A, Here, a shot is missing that shows the two main characters, driving separate cars out of a cemetery. A few cars pull out of the cemetery and turn left (right screen). The lead (Mike) looks at the car behind him in his rear view then turns right(left screen). The next car pulls up, the other lead, (Caroline), and watches Mike drive up the road. she turns left (right screen).

B. This shot has a large continuity error because it was one of the first test shots I did with my dvx attached to the hood of my car.

C. This one needed to be redone because originally, the camera was supposed to move in front of the car, simulating the main character's POV, and then in the same shot it moves off to the side to a more objective audience POV. After that, the steadicam follows the character into and around the house. Had to cut it down though. (And the wind made the steadicam almost uncontrollable).

D. Here, Caroline watches her father and younger brother pull into the driveway. (All shots of family approaching/entering the house weren't shot).

E. A shot was missing right before this shot in which her little brother waves hopefully at her; a bitter-sweet moment in which she realizes that her family will survive, but the brother can't fully grasp that their mother has died.

F. Caroline watches the rest of the family arrive. After this shot, a wider shot reveals the family walking past her car, all staring at her, making her uncomfortable.

It would have looked something like:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Lawsuit_Boy/quip_16.jpg

G. Right before this close up of Caroline in thought, she sees her dad greeting the rest of the family, and then waving her in, telling her through his action, "It's ok. Come be with the family."

H. Here, a piece of dialogue is missing, it is: "Spotting UFO's..." It ties into him lamenting about he and Caroline's inside jokes (although this scene and most of the voice over was eventually rewritten because it got a little clunky, and my lead actor ended up getting nervous and wooden. He claimed to get "stage fright").

I. This is a test shot. She's supposed to leave the room angrily and grab her jacket off of the chair as the camera dollies back.

J. I and J were originally going to be composited into one seamless shot. Two of the same camera moves at two different times. I wanted a seamless blend from Mike's flashback/remembrance to present time where he sits on the couch. Would have been cool. :(

K. This is another test shot. The camera should start back further and already be in motion when we cut to the shot. It moves in on the car as she gets out and follows her in as she storms into the house, furious and bawling. ALSO: right before this, we were to see Mike in his dining room tearing up a few photos of him and Caroline, tearing some film out of the CAMERA that was seen earlier in his bedroom, chopping them up, tossing them on the floor, and sucking them up with a vacuum. This would be done with lots of quick jump cuts.

L. Test shot of her coming in. A guitar is to sit at the bottom of steps, and she falls onto the stairs, shocked and trying to restrain her crying fit.

M. He needed to be taking a final deep breath, mustering courage, and picking up the phone to make his call to Caroline, to say all of these things to her, and is surprised by a knock at the door. I was too busy worrying about everything and getting him to work on time and forgot to have him make that simple gesture. (Also, the steadicam stuff was my first time using a glidecam 2000 pro).

And there you have it. Like I said, the audio has NOT BEEN MIXED, so it's pretty off. And I wanted to re-record the VO because we got a bad recording the first time, and I didn't like the way he did it because he said he got nervous. You can tell. And of course, no music because I told my friend/composer to only perform and record the music he wrote if he really wants to, because I won't be able to use it. To give you a hint: it was sort of a cross between the softer, more contemplative pieces in There Will Be Blood by Johnny Greenwood and the main themes to A Clockwork Orange. Let me know what you think of the direction this was going in.

Lawsuit_Boy
03-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Tip top.