PDA

View Full Version : in OUR BLUE LITTLE WORLD - a kyle stebbins film

Kyle Stebbins
11-24-2007, 10:02 PM
in OUR BLUE LITTLE WORLD
a kyle stebbins film

http://www.kylestebbins.com/BlueLittleWorld.jpg

Actors from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
They are the following...

Mikal Hanna
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v72/1/81/513126029/n513126029_65930_9240.jpg

Logan Pietz
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v133/175/87/1024380083/n1024380083_30151972_7015.jpg

and
Jarrod Homer
http://photos-083.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v55/175/87/1024380083/n1024380083_30070049_9645.jpg

Brandon Rice
11-24-2007, 10:43 PM
whoot! Kyle!

tmnt
11-24-2007, 10:45 PM
That's one very nice poster, Kyle.

Kyle Stebbins
11-25-2007, 03:31 AM
thanks brandon, tmnt...

this is a film that i've written for a screenwriting class at my university. i'm really happy with how it has turned out and i'm ready to turn it into a film.

i will post a short summary of the plot tomorrow, sometime during the day. until then, i want to express my gratitude for the compliment on the poster. i delayed hanging with some buddies of mine for about an hour because i wanted to perfect the poster. -- i still notice a few errors, and i can assure you i will be correcting them tomorrow.

thanks so much for the comments. it feels great to finally enter a fest again!
kyle

ps. we're shooting hvx!

Mark Johnson
11-25-2007, 04:26 AM
Kyle, that is a gorgeous poster. What's the story about the pic? Did you take it out there on the plains? If so, when?

I am so pleased to see that you are going to be entering this one.

Chris Messineo
11-25-2007, 04:58 AM
I like the poster a lot as well. The title sounds intriguing.

Kyle Stebbins
11-25-2007, 12:00 PM
The picture was taken in my home town of Lincoln, Nebraska on a large dam that was built next to Holmes Lake. A friend of mine that goes to Stanford University told me she used the photo to illustrate just how flat everything was 'back home'. I found that extremely amusing because the photo really does articulate this well.

I appreciate all the compliments on the poster. I only wish I could design them as well as the uber-talented Eric Diga... anyone seen him lately?

My story centers itself around a young man from a middle-class family living somewhere in the heartland. He shares a passions for music with his father (almost synonymous to the relationship I share with my own father).

This will be the tale of loss and recovery, sadness and jubilation. A tragic event occurs that shakes this young man's life and causes him to lose his foothold in everything he used to know. His best friends have become enemies and he deals with his problems upfront, alone.

IOBLW will use music, and it's inexplicable power to heal, as it's vehicle to accelerate the film to it's final conclusion, heartwarming or otherwise. Either way, I hope that the film reaches out to anyone and everyone who might have shared a similar experience or know someone who has. This is written from the heart, and I want to use the short amount of time we have to create this film to its fullest.

I will post images and artwork that have inspired me soon.
Thanks for sticking around! =)

ALSO - if you ever make it to Kansas to see the family again, Mark man, you're welcome to stay here and help work on the set. Maybe we can watch a rerun of the Kansas-Nebraska game? Wouldn't that be fun?

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Yup! Very nice poster. The synopsis of the story sounds good as well.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Mike

Mark Johnson
11-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Kyle, I am very excited about this film given my familiarity with you and your own musical talent as well as your father's proclivities. I think this has the potential to really be an important piece of work for you. I am going to make every effort to come see you guys in Nebraksa, for sure.

Kyle Stebbins
11-25-2007, 05:33 PM
I appreciate that, Mark. I do connect a lot with this piece. I've got a feeling, however, that I'll be exceeding the 6-minute time restraint, and I'm also concerned about only having a couple months to shoot and edit.

One of the scenes involves a large talent show with bands and a crowd. I'm working on snagging a time slot at a local theatre in town called The Joyo. It's a run down, rustic building that still houses some great entertainment. In fact, a buddy of mine is a member of a local improv troupe that has regular performances there. Definitely worth checking out if you're ever around these parts.

Here is a picture:

http://www.agilitynut.com/06/9/joyo.jpg

I will try to snap a photo of the inside once I'm able to secure the location. It's going to work perfectly if everything falls into place.

Mark Johnson
11-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Damn, Kyle, that is simply amazing! When do you think you will be shooting? I would sure love to coordinate a trip to the midwest that would let me help out.

This site never ceases to inspire me and it really does represent the best of what the internet can be. I've always liked your camera work and editing. You simply have to shoot this, my man.

cinealma
11-25-2007, 09:44 PM
I absolutely love the local, Kyle. Where did the other pics go?

Oh, and BTW, Rocky Horror at midnight in small town Nebraska? That's gotta be interesting.

Cheers! :beer:

Jeffrey Hamlin
11-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Cool Poster...

Your movie sounds interesting. Good luck.

Kyle Stebbins
11-25-2007, 10:05 PM
I absolutely love the local, Kyle. Where did the other pics go?

Oh, and BTW, Rocky Horror at midnight in small town Nebraska? That's gotta be interesting.

Cheers! :beer:

Oh, not sure what you mean by 'other pics' but thanks for the post! There's a funny story behind that...

My parents actually met at the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I've never seen the movie at Joyo at midnight. However, if a certain Mr. Mark Johnson comes into town and stays with me, I will definitely make a point to bring him there.

cinealma
11-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Oh, not sure what you mean by 'other pics' but thanks for the post! There's a funny story behind that...

My parents actually met at the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I've never seen the movie at Joyo at midnight. However, if a certain Mr. Mark Johnson comes into town and stays with me, I will definitely make a point to bring him there.

Hmmm. Maybe that's another thread. :embarasse

Hey, that's cool about your parents, I can't stand it.

Well, if things work out and the two of you get to that show, please do spill the details.

Kyle Stebbins
11-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Oh believe me. The Rocky Horror show is DEFINITELY one of my least favorite films of all time. Almost rock bottom.

They met there because of some friends who, more or less, set them up on a 'date.' -- At least that's my knowledge. I know my dad lurks around on the boards here... maybe he can shed some light on that.

We're actually working diligently to start a company called Stebbins Digital. We want to offer various creative services and film standard events like weddings, sports, etc. Also work with web design, graphic design, and filmmaking. He and I share a lot of the same thought processes which really makes us a considerably cohesive team.

ANYWHO -- if Mark and I make it to the midnight showing, there will definitely be quite a story to tell. =)

StefanHaynes
11-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Your premise is Sundance-able. And so are your filmmaking abilities. Which basically means, DVXuser will only be the first step in this film's run.

If you'd like, I'd be more than glad to offer any assistance I can with the script, help with the cuts, flesh out the subtext, etc... I just love to read scripts, and write them, as you know.

ydraig@msn.com

Stefan

Kyle Stebbins
11-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks, Stefan. You know I'll be using your help.

Just emailed the owner of the Joyo theatre. Hope to get a response in the next couple of days. If the Joyo falls through, I sent an email to my aunt earlier this morning inquiring as to whether or not a local university's small theatre would be open to a film shoot. She is best friends with one of two directors in the school's theatre department. - The school is Nebraska Wesleyan and the theatre is called McDonald Theatre. It would be equally as perfect, but much newer and less dilapidated (I'm kind of excited about the Joyo's roughness).

Either way, it is time to expire. Goodnight!

Tom Marshall
11-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Kyle! Glad you've decided to enter this one. Looking forward to hearing more about it. :beer:

Kyle Stebbins
11-26-2007, 08:03 AM
thanks, tommy!

Marlon Ladd
11-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Good luck, man. Poster's really cool!

Kyle Stebbins
11-26-2007, 04:51 PM
thanks, lee. much appreciated.

Alex Jeffery
11-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Well, I've had the pleasure of reading the script, and I can already tell you that this will be tough competition for all entrants involved. :thumbup:

Slimothy
11-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Glad you're jumpin in Kyle. Also, I heard you on the dvxtalk radio thingy the other night. You sound like a lady killer through the airwaves. Those chicks in Nebraska don't know what they got comin to em.

Kyle Stebbins
11-26-2007, 08:31 PM
i'm a master of disguise. the internet broadcast added fifty pounds.

Mark Harris
11-27-2007, 07:10 AM
good luck Kyle. It's shaping up to be a fun fest. Good to see how many folks are jumping in.

Kyle Stebbins
11-27-2007, 03:07 PM
agreed. i saw you were getting in on the fun as well. you can't help but be excited about this fest.

big news! i got my dad onboard. he began writing a song for my mom several years ago (when they were young birds in love) :2vrolijk_08:

i've asked him to incorporate a few things into the lyrics and he's nearly finished writing music for the film. -- he's also been signed on to play the part of Michael Charter, the father in the film.

big news!
kyle

Blaine
11-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Good luck with this one, Kyle. :beer:

Kyle Stebbins
11-27-2007, 03:42 PM
thanks, blaine. if it beats yours in the competition, i get to keep your corvette.

Geoff_R
11-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Cool poster, Kyle. Looking forward to your film.

Chris Messineo
11-27-2007, 04:55 PM
big news! i got my dad onboard. he began writing a song for my mom several years ago (when they were young birds in love)
That is very cool.

Kyle Stebbins
11-27-2007, 08:34 PM
its going to be perfect. got the script critiqued in my screenwriting class today. its in a very good spot right now. looking forward to confirming these locations and recording my dad's song...

Mark Johnson
11-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Hey Kyle, are you going to use that sprinkler head as a thematic object in this one like the Corsairs?

Kyle Stebbins
11-28-2007, 08:29 AM
http://alexjeffery.net/corsairs_banner.jpg

Excellent question, Mark.
We've actually decided to film the movie through the eyes of the sprinkler head.
While most of the scenes will look something like this...

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/grasses/photos/white_grass2.jpg

... I think the film will still retain a positive, organic texture that will appeal to moviegoers young and old. Even the hot-head dude-bro that lives next door.

Alex Jeffery
11-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Nothing will ever be as good as Corsairs. Period. :beer:

Kyle Stebbins
11-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Nothing will ever be as good as Corsairs. Period. :beer:

It's safe to say that Robert will never live this one down.

I've nearly secured the Wesleyan McDonald theatre for the shoot.
Mi papa has already began working with me to assure that his band's gigging dates won't conflict with our shoot dates. So far we are rolling along smooth.

The script has entered it's final stage and I am going to PM it to a couple dvxusers to get final critiques. Looking forward to passing this stage in the process! Everything else is much more fun, as I'm sure most of you agree! =)

Lawsuit_Boy
12-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Great poster, Kyle! Dad writing some music, good script on hand, sounds like you're on a good track. :thumbsup:

Herman Witkam
12-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Looking forward to it, Kyle - And great poster!

Kyle Stebbins
12-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Looking forward to it, Kyle - And great poster!

Thanks, Herman. Looks to be a very promising fest! Glad to see you're working on a couple films again... youre very talented.

Kyle Stebbins
12-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Great poster, Kyle! Dad writing some music, good script on hand, sounds like you're on a good track. :thumbsup:

Well, I certainly hope so... it's a long journey, a rather difficult piece as it stands.
We'll churn something out! ;)

Kyle Stebbins
12-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Signed on three very talented actors from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
They are the following...

Mikal Hanna
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v72/1/81/513126029/n513126029_65930_9240.jpg

Logan Pietz
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v133/175/87/1024380083/n1024380083_30151972_7015.jpg

and
Jarrod Homer
http://photos-083.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v55/175/87/1024380083/n1024380083_30070049_9645.jpg

Jarrod Homer
12-03-2007, 12:01 PM
This is going to be ridiculously fun! Thanks for letting me be in your film man!

ExtremeSleuth
12-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Can't wait to see the film Kyle. The way you've described it sounds like its going to be great. Best of luck to you!

Kyle Stebbins
12-03-2007, 05:00 PM
This is going to be ridiculously fun! Thanks for letting me be in your film man!

And when we're finished with this one, I've already got plans for another.
I think you'll really enjoy them both, but the second one... whew... it's got Homer written all over it.

Kyle Stebbins
12-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Can't wait to see the film Kyle. The way you've described it sounds like its going to be great. Best of luck to you!

thanks, zfarms. it's been quite a journey so far.

the script's revision process has been nearly completed, and we're almost ready to start shooting. -- still trying to secure a theatre/recital hall.

kyle

Mark Johnson
12-03-2007, 05:46 PM
http://r33b.net/

Logan Pietz
12-03-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm excited to get to work, Kyle.

So...um...you're paying us, right? ;)

Kyle Stebbins
12-03-2007, 09:12 PM
So...um...you're paying us, right? ;)

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Jarrod Homer
12-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Righteous!

haha

Kyle Stebbins
12-04-2007, 07:40 AM
http://r33b.net/

Truer words have never been spoken. Thanks, Mark.

Jarrod Homer
12-04-2007, 06:08 PM
I think that toad just stole a part of my soul. I don't have that much left as it is.

Mark Johnson
12-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Kyle,

Your guy Jarrod has a really strong resemblence to Mcauley Culkin.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/10478/1196882386.jpg

Luis Caffesse
12-05-2007, 12:16 PM
That's just creepy

Jarrod Homer
12-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Hahaha

I'm sad to say that it's not the first time I've heard that.

Mark Johnson
12-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Kyle:

To you, your family and all your Nebraska crew, I just wanted to tell you I've been thinking of you after hearing of the tragic shooting today. I hope and pray you and your families are safe.

Mark

Kyle Stebbins
12-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Kyle:

To you, your family and all your Nebraska crew, I just wanted to tell you I've been thinking of you after hearing of the tragic shooting today. I hope and pray you and your families are safe.

Mark

Thank you, Mark. The incident has really shaken things up around here. I've got a lot of friends and family in Omaha, as do several people I know from Lincoln. I've been to the Westroads mall many many times in my life. Identities of those killed are still secret, so I can only pray that it was no one I know.

My condolences go out to those who lost loved ones today. The event was nothing more than a selfless, cold, indecent act by a 20-year-old boy who's perception of life was horrible skewed.

Thanks again for the kind words, Mark.

Jarrod Homer
12-06-2007, 01:17 AM
My condolences go out to those who lost loved ones today. The event was nothing more than a selfless, cold, indecent act by a 20-year-old boy who's perception of life was horrible skewed.

My feelings are mutual.

Rick Meyer
12-07-2007, 12:25 PM
That IS a great looking poster. Look forward to seeing this....

btw, how did you get Mark Ruffalo to be in this?:laugh:

Kyle Stebbins
12-08-2007, 05:13 PM
That IS a great looking poster. Look forward to seeing this....

btw, how did you get Mark Ruffalo to be in this?:laugh:

Hahaha! Mike is an uncanny lookalike with an equal talent.
Thanks for the compliments on the poster!
Kyle

Kyle Stebbins
12-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Just signed Mark Johnson on board to help with some select VFX shots. I'm very excited to work with him again because Mark's talents are unreal and he's always a great guy to bounce ideas off of.

He's going to play an integral role in the production of this film, and I'm glad to have him on the team.

Jarrod Homer
12-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Awesome!

Kyle Stebbins
12-10-2007, 07:37 PM
jarrod! how did everything go the other night? i left a few BL's for you but fled with whatever was left. the incident down the street concerned me a bit.

we're going to start shooting very soon!
kyle

Jarrod Homer
12-10-2007, 10:10 PM
It was good, no problems at all.

Let me know once you figure out the shooting schedule cause I'll have to figure out the whole work situation. But all the same I'm pumped!

Kyle Stebbins
12-11-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm glad you brought up scheduling...

Alex Jeffery has just been brought on board as producer for In Our Blue Little World.
Alex has been a very good friend of mine over the past year and a half. We share an affinity for filmmaking and a similar viewpoint on many things in this world. He's a wonderful person and a very talented individual. He will be taking on the daunting tasks of scheduling, scouting, and overall management of the production. His role will be a sort of jack-of-all-trades.

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v71/132/65/1319220102/n1319220102_30182022_269.jpg

Mark Johnson
12-11-2007, 06:06 PM

Alex Jeffery has just been brought on board as producer for In Our Blue Little World.

As you know, I am an Alex Jeffery fan. I have such fond memories of a year ago when both of you came out to Cali to shoot with us and I still remember how cool it was that he got to play a firefighter in our film. You guys are awesome and I am pretty certain I'll be able to swing through Nebraska over the break.

Kyle Stebbins
12-12-2007, 01:02 AM
As you know, I am an Alex Jeffery fan. I have such fond memories of a year ago when both of you came out to Cali to shoot with us and I still remember how cool it was that he got to play a firefighter in our film. You guys are awesome and I am pretty certain I'll be able to swing through Nebraska over the break.

It was a great experience for the both of us (especially navigating our way through north hollywood and the LA union station. We met a couple that rode with us on the subway and told us what direction to head in. Before we knew it, Bullis was before our eyes.

I think Alex got a bit more worried that I did. I recall telling Homer that he needed to be there with us... he calls it 'urbexing' - urban exploring.

I look forward to you coming to the midwest, Mark. I'm really getting upset with UNL's school of music. It is becoming a pain in the neck to reserve a recital hall. -- I'm unable to get a hold a man who seems to be the one and ONLY man I NEED to get a hold of. -- if that makes any sense.

Anywho, I watched American Movie again with my pal Anthony. Loved it even more. Also, I just opened up a Netflix account... first movie on the list? Jesus Camp. The second, Rushmore. -- I think this is the beginning of a long, healthy relationship. Netflix makes everything so simple and there's a ton to choose from.

kyle

Blaine
12-12-2007, 01:17 AM

Alex Jeffery has just been brought on board as producer for In Our Blue Little World.Producers are asses....uh...er...I mean, Producers wear glasses...:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

EDIT: Sunglasses.

Mark Johnson
12-12-2007, 04:22 AM
Hey Kyle, one thing I like about Netflix too is the instant viewing you get each month. When we were stranded overnight in Washington we got some coffee and pulled up Netflix so we could watch some cool documentaries. I'm amazed at the quality of the streaming.

Alex Jeffery
12-12-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm really getting upset with UNL's school of music. It is becoming a pain in the neck to reserve a recital hall. -- I'm unable to get a hold a man who seems to be the one and ONLY man I NEED to get a hold of. -- if that makes any sense.

Glad to be onboard. Kyle, I'm still willing to look into getting the Howell if you want. If we schedule enough in advance (and before they start putting up sets for next semester's main-stage), we should be able to get it. After all, this is "supposed" to be the school of Theatre AND Film...

Kyle Stebbins
12-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Hey Kyle, one thing I like about Netflix too is the instant viewing you get each month. When we were stranded overnight in Washington we got some coffee and pulled up Netflix so we could watch some cool documentaries. I'm amazed at the quality of the streaming.

I noticed the instant viewing feature on the site, but wasn't sure how it worked as far as how many views I got with my chosen package. -- Glad to hear that the streaming quality is high. It needs to be, in my opinion.

Feel free to tip me off on good movies whenever you get the inclination. I love special interest and documentaries, but I'm always open to watch anything and everything.

kyle

Kyle Stebbins
12-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Glad to be onboard. Kyle, I'm still willing to look into getting the Howell if you want. If we schedule enough in advance (and before they start putting up sets for next semester's main-stage), we should be able to get it. After all, this is "supposed" to be the school of Theatre AND Film...

Alex, this is perfect timing. I just got in contact with Ron at the School of Music. He says the schedule is pretty tight for the space we're looking to use, but he asked me to give him an idea of when we'd like to shoot and he'd see what was open.

I'm VERY interested in using the Howell theatre. I think it would almost fit the scene better. -- Can you look into that? I think you might want to get in touch with Todd.

I'd like to shoot in the middle of January... as soon as you get back from Arkansas. Do you want me to leave this project in your hands? Let me know.

ALSO - It sounds like Mr. Johnson will be making his way to the midwest over our winter break to visit his family in Kansas and will try to stop by Lincoln (or so) to hang with us. Problem is, you'll be in Arkansas! :embarasse

Long live the hypnotoad!

Alex Jeffery
12-12-2007, 02:34 PM
I'm VERY interested in using the Howell theatre. I think it would almost fit the scene better. -- Can you look into that? I think you might want to get in touch with Todd.

Yeah, I'll try to talk to him tomorrow. Let's see, I get back the 10th and school doesn't start til the 14th, so we could use that weekend to wrap that scene if you want? I'll see what works best with the main-stage schedule.

P.S.-- Will you design me a poster for Molly?

EDIT: I'll see if Nate could come down to storyboard the fight scene the weekend we shoot and see if he'll bring the crane.

Jarrod Homer
12-12-2007, 02:54 PM
I recall telling Homer that he needed to be there with us... he calls it 'urbexing' - urban exploring.

I don't think you quite understand the concept but all the same I do wish I was there.

I"m getting more excited by the minute to do this thing!

Kyle Stebbins
12-13-2007, 12:53 AM
I certainly dont! =)

Kyle Stebbins
12-13-2007, 11:26 PM
UPDATE: While I'm not completely certain, I feel I should make it known that there is a good chance this film will be submitted into the fest for exhibition purposes only. The script delves into the ten page realm and is showing little sign of being reduced. I am still shooting to finish the film before February and may or may not put together a 6-minute cut just so we can qualify for the fest.

Either way, we're about to embark on an interesting, fun, tiring, intense production and, thanks to careful planning, everything should pay off.

Cheers!

Luis Caffesse
12-13-2007, 11:40 PM
I htink you're making the right move - let the story be the length it needs to be.
If you wind up with a great film that happens to be over 6 minutes then the Fest has still served its purpose.

Best of luck!
:thumbsup:

Mark Johnson
12-14-2007, 03:29 AM
UPDATE: While I'm not completely certain, I feel I should make it known that there is a good chance this film will be submitted into the fest for exhibition purposes only.

You have too much hardware anyway. Besides, any awards would be hollow and demeaning when compared to what will always stand as your true Opus Magnifique: THE CORSAIRS.

Chris Messineo
12-14-2007, 06:38 AM
UPDATE: While I'm not completely certain, I feel I should make it known that there is a good chance this film will be submitted into the fest for exhibition purposes only. The script delves into the ten page realm and is showing little sign of being reduced. I am still shooting to finish the film before February and may or may not put together a 6-minute cut just so we can qualify for the fest.
I fear the same thing may happen to us and our script is only 6 pages. :)

Either way, I'm looking forward to your finished film.

Kyle Stebbins
12-14-2007, 08:25 AM
I think you're making the right move - let the story be the length it needs to be.
If you wind up with a great film that happens to be over 6 minutes then the Fest has still served its purpose.

Best of luck!
:thumbsup:

Yeah, this script has been through some relatively hardcore revisions because it is my final assignment in my screenwriting class here at UNL. I feel like it's the first script I've ever written that has the right ingredients - conflict, obstacles, and an overall plot that tells a story and doesn't just beat around the bush and then roll credits.

Kyle Stebbins
12-14-2007, 08:26 AM
You have too much hardware anyway. Besides, any awards would be hollow and demeaning when compared to what will always stand as your true Opus Magnifique: THE CORSAIRS.

The man has a point.

Alex Jeffery
12-14-2007, 02:36 PM

Quoted again for truth. Right on the nail, Mark.

Kyle Stebbins
12-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Nice banner, Alex. ;)

Update on Howell?

Kyle Stebbins
12-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Just got finished editing a short music video for a buddy of mine. It was a final project in one of his film studies courses at the university. We shot it on the HVX with a blue screen. The result was a wacky, poorly composited, goofy video that will probably confuse you. The premise is two american rockers (though they don't dress as such) help teach a german rocker about american comedy (sitcoms, movies, the likes), and they do so through parodies of various rock tunes.

The music is all original and I played the drums on the entire track. I shot it, edited it, and helped out with the music.

I'll warn you. The compositing is poor because I applied it in FCP. I am the world's worst FX guy, so, keep that in mind. Also, a bunch of us worked on this to help out a friend with his class. We didn't get paid, and it will probably be evident when you watch this film, which I will post in just a bit here on this thread.

In any case, here is the poster I threw together. It should give you a relatively good taste of what it's all about.

http://www.stebbinsdigital.com/TheRockstitutes.jpg

Zak Forsman
12-17-2007, 08:09 AM
kyle, i really dug "Another Day" during dramafest and i'm really looking forward to this one. best of luck!

Kyle Stebbins
12-17-2007, 08:21 AM
kyle, i really dug "Another Day" during dramafest and i'm really looking forward to this one. best of luck!

Thank you, Zak. I really hope that I've matured a BIT as a filmmaker since I made Another Day. I think I have.

Either way, I'll let you be the judge of that. =)

BTW - Your title is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Great design concept. I'm greatly looking forward to your film.

Alex Jeffery
12-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Post a link to the video, Kyle!

Kyle Stebbins
12-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Post a link to the video, Kyle!

Man, I don't know why I'm even showing this on here... hahahahahahaha

http://www.stebbinsdigital.com/TheRockstitutes.mov

There you go. Enjoy! =)

Alex Jeffery
12-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Wow, lol. That was awesome. Who is the other guy? The opening shot looked really good.

ON TOPIC:

I am pleased to announce that we have secured the Howell theatre for Saturday January 12th to shoot one of the film's most epic scenes. More later.

Kyle Stebbins
12-17-2007, 02:26 PM
I am pleased to announce that we have secured the Howell theatre for Saturday January 12th to shoot one of the film's most epic scenes. More later.

Whoa! excellent news!!
I need to go scope that place out a bit more in depth now.
We need to check with actors and such.

i will make you an officer on the facebook group, alex.

kyle

Alex Jeffery
12-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Ok cool. I booked us from 2-7 pm. I figure that should be plenty if we're well storyboarded and such. I calculated set-up and strike into that for the instruments and everything.

MOVIE MASTER
12-17-2007, 03:47 PM
This film looks LOVELY!

Tom Marshall
12-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Man, I don't know why I'm even showing this on here... hahahahahahaha

http://www.stebbinsdigital.com/TheRockstitutes.mov

There you go. Enjoy! =)

Wow, Kyle... very... umm... avant garde... :grin:

And you did a great job on the compositing... they weren't transparent ALL the time. :thumbup:

Kyle Stebbins
12-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Wow, Kyle... very... umm... avant garde... :grin:

And you did a great job on the compositing... they weren't transparent ALL the time. :thumbup:

I think I gave enough of a disclaimer, didn't I? :crybaby:

What was our line from Chilis? South African?
Hmm...

Tom Marshall
12-17-2007, 08:12 PM
I think I gave enough of a disclaimer, didn't I? :crybaby:

What was our line from Chilis? South African?
Hmm...

We should have gotten that on tape... I don't think anyone would believe us if we told them what you said. That's the funniest thing I'd heard in a while. :beer:

Kyle Stebbins
12-17-2007, 10:38 PM
We should have gotten that on tape... I don't think anyone would believe us if we told them what you said. That's the funniest thing I'd heard in a while. :beer:

Well, I hope we can share moments like these again very soon. That was freakin fun

Alex Jeffery
12-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Let's record some tracks soon. Which brings up another topic. Do you want to shoot live music on set, or do like most musicals and play pre-recorded tracks for the musicians to match up to?

Kyle Stebbins
12-18-2007, 09:45 AM
We've secured the UNL Howell theatre to shoot our film's final scene which takes place at a Battle of the Bands. We have called on the Johnny Carson school of theatre and film to help cast many many extras to fill the seats for the shoot.

Anyway, I don't have any recent photos of the building (as it was actually JUST renovated) HOWEVER, I do have this very very old one that I think you'll enjoy.

http://www.unl.edu/finearts/images/carson/TemplePast.jpg

More photos of the interior coming soon!

Mark Johnson
12-18-2007, 09:52 AM
We've secured the UNL Howell theatre to shoot our film's final scene which takes place at a Battle of the Bands. We have called on the Johnny Carson school of theatre and film to help cast many many extras to fill the seats for the shoot.

Oh, man, being able to get those extras and having that location ... well, I'm just completely stoked over this project Kyle. Now, please ... please ... do not f*ck it up.

Kyle Stebbins
12-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Oh, man, being able to get those extras and having that location ... well, I'm just completely stoked over this project Kyle. Now, please ... please ... do not f*ck it up.

Have I given reason for such an inclination?

My biggest concern is the production time. We don't start shooting until January 12th, and this film has a healthy number of scenes and locations! I'm worried that total production time will travel beyond and cross into February.

Mark Johnson
12-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Have I given reason for such an inclination?

Just busting your balls, boy. ... We can't let you getting all talented and cocky on us. Besides, the unknown circumstances of your birth resulted in a congenitally enlarged head already. We must carefully monitor you and prevent cause for further head swelling.

Kyle Stebbins
12-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Just busting your balls, boy. ... We can't let you getting all talented and cocky on us. Besides, the unknown circumstances of your birth resulted in a congenitally enlarged head already. We must carefully monitor you and prevent cause for further head swelling.

Haha!!!! :kali:

;)

Alex Jeffery
12-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Do you want to shoot live music on set, or do like most musicals and play pre-recorded tracks for the musicians to match up to?

Quoted for lack of answer.

Mark Johnson
12-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Say, are you guys going to shoot live music on the set or possibly play pre-recorded tracks for the musicians to match up to?

Jarrod Homer
12-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I vote for live. But either way I'm game, cause thats just how it is.

Mark Johnson
12-18-2007, 01:51 PM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/10478/1198014662.jpg

Mark Johnson
12-18-2007, 02:01 PM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/10478/1198015211.jpg

Kyle Stebbins
12-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Oh, we're definitely going to NOT shoot live music. Can you imagine how much of a pain in the arse that would be?? No, we're going to prerecord the track and then have the actors mimic playing the instruments.

Live music = way more time than we have. Sorry, Homer!

Kyle Stebbins
12-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Mark, no one denies your alpha male persona.

Alex Jeffery
12-18-2007, 03:18 PM
http://www.alexjeffery.net/mark.jpg

Kyle Stebbins
12-18-2007, 03:19 PM
yes, alex. yes.

Mark Johnson
12-18-2007, 03:57 PM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/10478/1198022081.jpg

Kyle Stebbins
12-18-2007, 04:04 PM
So adorable it needed to be posted twice.

;)

Jarrod Homer
12-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Hahaha that's hilarious!

"stupid world isn't even blue"

Classic.

Kyle Stebbins
12-19-2007, 08:49 AM
Jarrod, let's spread the word to ALL of our friends in town that we need them on January 12th, 3:30pm, at Howell theatre. WE NEED AN AUDIENCE!! =)

Mark Johnson
12-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Jarrod, let's spread the word to ALL of our friends in town that we need them on January 12th, 3:30pm, at Howell theatre. WE NEED AN AUDIENCE!! =)

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/10478/1198084225.jpg

Jarrod Homer
12-19-2007, 10:52 AM

I can do that.

Kyle Stebbins
12-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Any members in the Lincoln, NE area??? If so we could definitely use you on January 12th!!!!

NateCaauwe
12-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Hey I might be bored that day. We can just clone me :tongue:

Zach Janky
12-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Stebbs, count me in for the 12th.

Alex Jeffery
12-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Haha, yeah! Let's clone Nate.

Kyle Stebbins
12-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Haha, yeah! Let's clone Nate.

reminds me of the end of A Beautiful Mind where the audience was cloned about 20 times or so... maybe more, i don't remember.

Wild Imagination Films
12-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Mirrors Kyle, it's all about the mirrors.

Jason Ramsey
12-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Man. I've been so bad about keeping up with everyone's threads, now they are all getting to long to read from scratch.

At any rate, I've read through some of your 13 page thread, Kyle :)

Just wanted to say, I enjoyed your synopsis in post #7 (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1107897&postcount=7) You piqued my interest with that. Sounds interesting, and sounds like you have a very strong vision for the story that you want to tell.

Have you mentioned what camera you will be shooting on?

Good luck to you, man.

Later,
Jason

Kyle Stebbins
12-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Jason - thanks so much for stopping by! It's never too late to catch up on everyone's threads. When you get a chance swing by Tim, Mark, and Blaine's thread... always crazy stuff going on over there.

Sorry for my brevity. I gotta jet. Will post more soon!

Kyle

Kyle Stebbins
12-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Just last night my dad played me what he has written so far for In Our Blue Little World. The song has a heavy Paul McCartney vibe and I think it's going to be perfect for the film. We're also going to record him playing a couple other originals to use for the film's soundtrack and score.

I'm so excited because this is all original music and is a "film debut" of sorts for my father. I will post some recordings on here soon. Here are a few pictures with him and his band:

http://www.stebbinsdigital.com/band1.jpg

http://www.stebbinsdigital.com/band2.jpg

http://www.stebbinsdigital.com/band3.jpg

His band is called The Dubious Brothers and Sister Red.
A tentative site (still in progress, obviously) that I've designed for them is here:
http://www.thedubiousbrothers.com

Jason Ramsey
12-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Now, I'm looking forward to hearing that. That's pretty kick-ass that your dad is doing the music for your film, Kyle... Rock on.

My actress came up with a song that we recorded on a whim at the end of our 2nd day of shooting. I thought it was so perfect, I ended up using it in the cut of the film.

Looking forward to some links to the music.

Later,
Jason

Jarrod Homer
12-24-2007, 07:20 PM
That's pretty kick-ass that your dad is doing the music for your film.

Kyle's dad is one cool guy I tell you what!

Kyle Stebbins
12-24-2007, 07:26 PM
thanks, homer. mark johnson will be sitting in on keys with them this new years eve. should be fun! he really knows how to tinkle those ivories.

Mark Johnson
12-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Kyle, I'm so honored to get the chance to sit in with your dad and especially looking forward to getting the chance to hear you playing with your band New Years Eve too. Your dad is an inspiration to me and the relationship you have with him is what I can only hope I have with my son when he gets to be your age.

Kyle Stebbins
12-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Kyle, I'm so honored to get the chance to sit in with your dad and especially looking forward to getting the chance to hear you playing with your band New Years Eve too. Your dad is an inspiration to me and the relationship you have with him is what I can only hope I have with my son when he gets to be your age.

Well, I think you're brewing a bit more recklessness in your son every time you allow him to shoot nerf darts at your friends. :laugh:

He and I are excited to have you in town. I hope our band can carry at least an hour's worth of tunes... I'd say we're rather ill-prepared, myself. In binds like this we consider ourselves a "jam band".

Merry Christmas DVXUSER!

Tom Marshall
12-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey Kyle, that's freaking cool that your dad is doing some scoring for your movie. You going to add something to the mix or let him do it himself?

Kyle Stebbins
12-25-2007, 12:37 AM
Hey Kyle, that's freaking cool that your dad is doing some scoring for your movie. You going to add something to the mix or let him do it himself?

I plan on recording bits and pieces of original music he'll play on acoustic guitar. Once I've got that down I will probably add topical instruments as the deadline nears. All part of the final polish.

Thanks for the comment, Tommy. When do I get to ride in your blue '03 mustang convert??

Kyle Stebbins
12-27-2007, 02:08 AM
recording of the song "in our blue little world" will begin in the next couple days. As for now, were just looking forward to seeing that a certain Mr. Mark Johnson has a wholesome, well-intentioned time in the Midwest. I'm going to try and make sure we snap some photos of the old man wailing on the old yamaha motif es-8. I'm really looking forward to hanging with the guy for a day or two.

Anyway, I hope you all had a stellar Christmas and that the family didn't drive you TOO mad...

Kyle Stebbins
12-27-2007, 02:11 AM
tom! Good move on changing your name. Seems like its a popular fad. Anyway, merry christmas. I wonder how celebrating went over in south Africa!?!.

Tom Marshall
12-29-2007, 12:19 AM
Ha, yeah. I figure it's finally time for me to take this filmmaking thing seriously, hence the name change... a new me, if you will. My lovefest entry might suck, but I need to start shooting as much as I can and live with it if it does suck. It can only get better (I hope). Yeah, Christmas went well in South Africa... wish you could have made it over there... next time, man... :beer:

Kyle Stebbins
12-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Yeah, Christmas went well in South Africa... wish you could have made it over there... next time, man... :beer:

Man I wasn't thinking when I said all that at Chili's. Eh, what're you gonna do?
Snowfall here was pretty nice for Christmas. You definitely don't miss out on the icy precipitation if you spend the holidays in Nebraska.

Anyway, you're Mustang wouldn't handle well on the slippery hills so be glad you're out there in the sunshine state!

Tom Marshall
12-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Man I wasn't thinking when I said all that at Chili's. Eh, what're you gonna do?
Snowfall here was pretty nice for Christmas. You definitely don't miss out on the icy precipitation if you spend the holidays in Nebraska.

Anyway, you're Mustang wouldn't handle well on the slippery hills so be glad you're out there in the sunshine state!

I've heard that about Mustangs - they don't do so great on icy roads... it would kind of be cool to get an old beater Mustang and just do as many 720's as possible in the middle of the street... :evil:

Kyle Stebbins
12-31-2007, 01:55 AM
well, i can't say i wouldn't enjoy doing that... but if it were MY mustang... heh, that's a different story. A buddy of mine actually just bought a red '06 mustang convertible. he's in the army, gets paid handsomely, and is one of the coolest kids i know.

anyway, his car rules.

on another note, we're awaiting mr. johnson's arrival! he's set to show up lincoln some time tomorrow. i'll probably be putting hours on the clock at the bank when he pulls in but i'm excited to see him when the evening shows up.

we'll be sure to put some photos up.

also, he doesn't know this yet, but if he's got some time i think it would be fun to make a little short film during his stay. we can shoot it on the dvx i've got here, and i think it would be a cool souvenir for mark to take home with him when he leaves The Good Life. anyway, stay tuned and HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!

Wild Imagination Films
12-31-2007, 09:05 AM
I think it's really cool to see forum members getting together to work on things. I also think your relationship with your dad is really great. My dad and I get along pretty well but he isn't into making films. We play guitars occasionally, but mainly he is attentive and supportive of what I'm doing. I shot video of his train layout so he could finally see what it would look like if he were the engineer of one of his trains. He watched it for days.
Happy NYE to you guys in the frozen land and everyone else reading this.

Jarrod Homer
12-31-2007, 11:38 AM
on another note, we're awaiting mr. johnson's arrival! he's set to show up lincoln some time tomorrow. i'll probably be putting hours on the clock at the bank when he pulls in but i'm excited to see him when the evening shows up.

You should give me a ring when he gets in, I'd like to meet the guy.

I hope everyone has a Happy New Years! I know I sure will.:beer:

Kyle Stebbins
12-31-2007, 06:35 PM
http://www.stebbinsdigital.com/johnsonarrives.jpg

Kyle Stebbins
01-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Johnson has left Nebraska!

In case you missed it in the massive thread, here is a picture of us at Mulligans:

http://www.stebbinsdigital.com/mulligans.jpg

It was great to have Mark around for a the short time he stayed. From what I heard, he played a mean keyboard at the Lincoln Country Club on New Years Eve. We're planning on having him back again for New Years Eve so he can have a reprise with my dad's band.

Pretty rad stuff.

Anyway, the shoot date is drawing closer and closer. January 12th is going to hit me over the head like a ton of bricks. I've almost finished story boarding, we have yet to officially record the song, school is going to start in less than two weeks, and i'm crossing my fingers that enough extras will show up.

Ah the glamorous life of the independent filmmaker.

Off to watch Dig, a Johnson-endorsed documentary about the Dandy Warhols...

Kyle Stebbins
01-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Mark, you left your firewire cord for your external hard drive here... want me to mail it to you?

Kyle Stebbins
01-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Here are some photos of my father diligently working on his recording of "In Our Blue Little World".

http://www.stebbinsdigital.com/dad1.jpg

http://www.stebbinsdigital.com/dad2.jpg

Alex Jeffery
01-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Awwwesome. Can't wait to hear it!

Tom Marshall
01-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Kyle, your dad looks like a pro... :beer:

Alex Jeffery
01-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Duuuude, let's meet up tomorrow and figure out this shoot on Sat.

NateCaauwe
01-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Hey so when's this shoot going down? If we can make it back to Norfolk before 5 than several of us will probably show up.

Alex Jeffery
01-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Ah snaaappp, we start at like 3, so.... blast.

Kyle Stebbins
01-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Nate... we shoot from 3:30-7... actually, it should be finished well before 7... at least i hope. -- I could REALLY use a crane... and your expertise, but alas, it sounds like you probably won't be able to make it back to Norfolk in time. Ah well... do what you can.

I can't wait to post pictures of this set up. I'm using 4 lighting instruments from my dad's old band stash and we're shooting in a newly remodeled auditorium theatre on our campus. It's just going to be totally perfect and we'll even get a few takes of my dad playing the song up on stage too.

Stay tuned for BTS and more cool stuff!
kyle

Kyle Stebbins
01-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Some raw screen grabs from our shoot today!

http://www.kylestebbins.com/blueworld/1.jpg

http://www.kylestebbins.com/blueworld/2.jpg

http://www.kylestebbins.com/blueworld/3.jpg

http://www.kylestebbins.com/blueworld/4.jpg

http://www.kylestebbins.com/blueworld/5.jpg

http://www.kylestebbins.com/blueworld/6.jpg

http://www.kylestebbins.com/blueworld/7.jpg

Kyle Stebbins
01-12-2008, 07:43 PM
and more grabs...

http://www.kylestebbins.com/blueworld/8.jpg

http://www.kylestebbins.com/blueworld/9.jpg

http://www.kylestebbins.com/blueworld/11.jpg

http://www.kylestebbins.com/blueworld/12.jpg

http://www.kylestebbins.com/blueworld/13.jpg

Kyle Stebbins
01-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Please let me know your thoughts and opinions on the grabs. They are raw, straight from the HVX at 720p.

Also... upon reviewing the footage we realized that our lead actor's voice was actually being RECORDED while we shot him mimicking my dad's song (which was being played over the PA). It turns out he didn't know the words quite as well as it seemed! The end result was uproarious and I would really like to share it with you here... We all laughed like little children after we saw it.

This IS ACTUAL footage but keep in mind that I am NOT A COMPETING FILM.
I am an exhibition film -- In Our Blue Little World will be almost 13 minutes long and will not be finished by the Love Fest deadline. However, I plan to submit what we have so far, and will probably include a little blurb of me on camera explaining things.

Anyway, count that as my disclaimer. Here is the link. Please, enjoy!!!

http://www.kylestebbins.com/Mikal_Singing.mov

NateCaauwe
01-12-2008, 10:12 PM
That first shot of Mikal is awesome, and hilarious video! :grin:

Mark Johnson
01-13-2008, 10:57 AM
OMIFRIGGINGOD ... that had us rolling on the floor Kyle. Tim and I are out here at Dennis and Suzanne's and we're going to play this for everybody. We used to do that in my band (record somebody's mike as a separate mix and play back to show how sh*tty they sound ... Hilarious).

Can't wait to here the "real" song as its too faint behind this clip to make out much. Give everybody our congrats for getting the shoot done, man. How many extras did you have for your audience?

Kyle Stebbins
01-13-2008, 02:03 PM
the extras we're great! -- we just got a little bit jipped on them. we only had about 10 but we made it work.

how are things on your end? do tell dennis and suzanne hey for me.

Mark Harris
01-14-2008, 06:03 AM
I think you did pretty good with the extras. Next time, maybe get one or two closer to the camera, that helps block out the space and make it feel a little more like a crowd. But the grabs look pretty good. My fav is the one with the guy in the glasses with the light blazing behind him.

Can you post 720 versions of the grabs? Always curious how dark stuff like that looks at full res.

Kyle Stebbins
01-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks, Mark. I thought about throwing a few people closer to the camera... and in retrospect, i should have at least tried it... anyway, i was worried it would have the reverse effect and make the audience look sparse.

ah well, audio FX is going to fix that.

also, for you netflix users out there... have you heard the good news!?
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/01/13/netflix-subscribers-get-to-watch-as-many-online-videos-as-they-w/

Tom Marshall
01-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks, Mark. I thought about throwing a few people closer to the camera... and in retrospect, i should have at least tried it... anyway, i was worried it would have the reverse effect and make the audience look sparse.

Hey Kyle, just fix it in post, man... You can clone people no problem. Simple visual effects tricks... Wait, I now remember seeing your greenscreen work. Just leave it the way it is. No one will notice... :beer:

Kyle Stebbins
01-14-2008, 07:43 PM
hahahaHAHAHAR...

yeah, i'm the worst. i leave that stuff up to the big guys.
although someday i'd love to learn.

when you comin to the frozen land to party with us midwesterners, tom?

Tom Marshall
01-14-2008, 11:33 PM
VFX isn't the most exciting stuff in the world, trust me! I'm halfway done with a sky replacement right now... it's all node-based stuff. I'd much rather be acting or directing...

I'll make it out there one of these days... I'll have to bring my guitar with me, unless you guys have an extra one layin around.

Kyle Stebbins
01-16-2008, 02:26 AM
between tony and me (and the rest of our band)... we could scrap up probably around close to 10 guitars... i think you'd be alright.

i'm going to be moving to a new place soon, you'll have to christen the couch when it happens...

i'd love to see some vfx work from you, tommy

Mark Johnson
01-17-2008, 08:02 AM
between tony and me (and the rest of our band)... we could scrap up probably around close to 10 guitars

Only problem is the 10 guitars are 2 old Harmony's and 8 of these fine instruments:

http://www.fatmonsterfilms.com/cheapguitar.jpg

Actually, I found that image on a guitarist forum under a thread titled "Worst Guitar you Ever Owned." The guy who posted this image had a hilarious description as follows:

The WORST I ever owned was this one:

"Burswood 30" guitar. Classic style wood body, maple neck and fingerboard. Built in amplifier. 21 frets, pick ups, volume control. Headphone jack and nylon strap. Batteries required."

My father saw this in a store and thought it would be a great novelty gift for me. i did not find it novel. Ask me any question about this guitar and my answer will be "like ass".

e.g. "How did it sound?" "Like ass" or "How did it intonate?" "like ass"

Ted Arabian
01-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Hey Kyle! I'm back, baby!

Gotta catch up on your progress... point me to the grabs, man!

-Ted

Kyle Stebbins
01-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Only problem is the 10 guitars are 2 old Harmony's and 8 of these fine instruments:

Hahahaha!!!! I showed this to ol' daddo, and he got a kick out of it. Good stuff, man.

Unfortunately, that is the new model. You can only get ours at Toys R Us and any Target outlet... makes them more rare and collectible.

I kid.

--------

TED!!!!! YEAH MAN!!! Welcome back!!! The grabs are just one page back, I believe. I'm gonna hop over to your thread and see what you've got cookin' -- welcome back, dude!

Tom Marshall
01-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Yeah, but you can crank 'em up when you have a good amp... :thumbsup:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/17011/1200636767.jpg

ugafan
01-17-2008, 10:40 PM
especially an amp that can do this...
http://www.mentalfloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/SpinalTap_Edith_503.jpg

Tom Marshall
01-17-2008, 10:42 PM
EVH style...

Mark Johnson
01-17-2008, 10:48 PM
http://www.archivisuals.com/SpinalTom.jpg

Kyle Stebbins
01-17-2008, 11:05 PM
GOD i love this place.

"why not just make ten the highest?"

anybody... anybody??

Tom Marshall
01-17-2008, 11:08 PM
These go to eleven. :thumbsup:

Mark Johnson
01-17-2008, 11:33 PM
These go to eleven. :thumbsup:

LMAO

Kyle Stebbins
01-18-2008, 06:59 AM
haha... close, but i believe the line is "because 11 is higher than 10" ;)

Tom Marshall
01-18-2008, 09:30 AM
I got it from the imdb page.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0088258/quotes

:cool: (http://imdb.com/title/tt0088258/quotes)

Luis Caffesse
01-18-2008, 09:32 AM
"Well that's 1 more, isnt' it?"

:)

Kyle Stebbins
01-18-2008, 01:11 PM
hahahahaha.

tom man, have you not seen spinal tap!?!?

Kyle Stebbins
01-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Next shoot = a studio, girls smoking joints, guitars, a drum set, and a lot of yelling.
stay tuned

ugafan
01-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Next shoot = a studio, girls smoking joints, guitars, a drum set, and a lot of yelling.
stay tuned

your film sounds way more fun than mine. in it, i spend half my time standing in front of my oven baking cookies. :grin:

Kyle Stebbins
01-20-2008, 12:01 AM
your film sounds way more fun than mine. in it, i spend half my time standing in front of my oven baking cookies. :grin:

Idea:

Mail me a box of your homemade cookies. If they're good, I will mail you back a screenwriting book I used for one of my classes last semester. Yours to keep.

Jarrod Homer
01-20-2008, 12:38 PM
stay tuned

Alright! Thats what I'm talking about!

Chris Messineo
01-20-2008, 01:39 PM
I love the "concert" grabs. The lighting is very moody and it makes me want to see the film.

Kyle Stebbins
01-20-2008, 03:53 PM
I love the "concert" grabs. The lighting is very moody and it makes me want to see the film.

Hey thanks, Chris. Stage lighting always looks cool on camera. The microphone stands have a reflective nature and it really adds to the beauty of the shot.

I want to mention, again, that this film will not be complete by this fest's due date. At least I don't think it will be. I know it's a big let down for someone to jump into a fest and then announce that my plan is not to compete with the other entries...

anyway, i am going to submit what is finished and maybe a blurb about what is to come. -- i feel like im betraying lovefest, but my project has evolved into something much deeper, longer, and more emotionally connected to the relationship i have with my father. it is for this reason that i am spending more time on the film. i hope you all understand.

:kali::love4:

Chris Messineo
01-20-2008, 04:33 PM
i feel like im betraying lovefest, but my project has evolved into something much deeper, longer, and more emotionally connected to the relationship i have with my father. it is for this reason that i am spending more time on the film. i hope you all understand.

It doesn't sound like you are betraying anyone. In fact, just the opposite. It's great to hear how passionate you are about this film. I'll look forward to watching it whenever it is ready.

Kyle Stebbins
01-21-2008, 11:58 AM
thanks, chris. you the bomb diggity.
new penciled in shoot date. TODAY!

Kyle Stebbins
01-21-2008, 07:38 PM
just finished our second shoot. i'll throw some grabs up on the thread a bit later into the evening. (or tomorrow)

Mark Johnson
01-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Kyle, I wish more entrants would follow your example and go "exhibition only."

Mark Harris
01-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Kyle, I wish more entrants would follow your example and go "exhibition only."

Hmmmm, not a bad idea.

Glad the project sounds like it is taking off, Kyle. Run with it.

Tom Marshall
01-21-2008, 10:04 PM
hahahahaha.

tom man, have you not seen spinal tap!?!?

Yeah, I've seen it, but I saw it a looooong time ago... it's been at least 15 years...

Blaine
01-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Okay, Stebbs, those concert grabs intrigued the f*ck out of me! I'm really looking forward to what you come up with!!! :thumbsup:

Did I see Wesley in one of those shots?

Kyle Stebbins
01-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Okay, Stebbs, those concert grabs intrigued the f*ck out of me! I'm really looking forward to what you come up with!!! :thumbsup:

Did I see Wesley in one of those shots?

Thanks, Blaine. I miss working with you guys out in sunny California, but circumstances called for me to stick around in the frozen land and keep going to school :thumbdown ;)

Yep, daddo is in there. We've got a sneaky way of bringing him into the final scene that I think you'll enjoy. We're working with Nate Caauwe, a good friend of ours from northern Nebraska, who specializes in visual FX. Check out his site here: http://natecow.com/

Thanks for the comments on the grabs, Blaine. I wish we had half the help you do out there, but alas, I'm left to work with the Likes of Alex Jeffery and Mikal Hanna. :evil: Ha!

Only kidding.

- and Mark, why do you say that? Worried too many people will hurry through their production and churn out half-finished crapola?

Mark Harris
01-22-2008, 08:47 AM
- and Mark, why do you say that? Worried too many people will hurry through their production and churn out half-finished crapola?

Not like it hasn't happened before.

But more because I have serious doubts about being able to come in at 6 min myself and maintain the film I want to make...

Kyle Stebbins
01-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Oh sorry Mr. Harris... I shouldve clarified that one. I was asking Johnson why he said that he wished more people would go exhibition only. -- But you bring up a good point. The deadline is nice because it gets people out there, working their butt off. -- At the same time, however, if it lights too big of a fire under their ass then, without the help of experienced professionals, films get submitted that aren't worth their weight in pennies.

Ted Arabian
01-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!! :grin:

OMG! That clip is hysterical!!!!!!!!

Nice grabs, Kyle. Very clean looking.

Didn't realize that your film is a non-compete entry. Too bad but then again... that's okay! We just get to see more of your work!

Thanks for sharing that clip... a freakin riot!

Mark Johnson
01-22-2008, 05:30 PM

No, ... worried too many people will turn in work that is better than ours!

Kyle Stebbins
01-22-2008, 06:37 PM
No, ... worried too many people will turn in work that is better than ours!

Touche!!

Kyle Stebbins
01-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!! :grin:

OMG! That clip is hysterical!!!!!!!!

Nice grabs, Kyle. Very clean looking.

Didn't realize that your film is a non-compete entry. Too bad but then again... that's okay! We just get to see more of your work!

Thanks for sharing that clip... a freakin riot!

Mark, I'm sitting in a very boring geology class right now. -- I'm going to go check out your Metamorpheses grabs in just a minute here...

Glad you liked that clip. It was an absolute riot with my father, he found it hilarious. Mike is such a great sport about it, too. I think he might let me throw it on youtube. =)

Mark Johnson
01-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Dan Latham - Prescott Gazette: "This is no Corsairs but it appears to be an honest effort."

Barbara Ulther - Topeka Capital Journal: "Some call this a student film. I call it a film made by students."

James Presley - Ovid Nebraksa Times: "Today's film-goer is left with essentially two choices - either go see an effects-driven big budget thrill ride ... or see a quiet little crappy film like Our Blue Little World. Give me the film with heart, please. I'll go see Cloverfield every time."

Brandon Rice
01-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Kyle... I don't know if I told you this or not, but your grabs do look nice... I remember seeing them awhile back, and I just went back and looked at them again... How many extras did you have in the crowd? Looks like a nice sized crowd... looking forward to this film... especially since it's musically driven... big fan of those types of movies.

Mark Johnson
01-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Bill Stebbins - American Family Agent - Lincoln: "What the hell are they teaching my nephew at that gol-darn cow college?"

Andrew Gross - Ellinwood Leader - "Comparing this to The Corsairs is akin to comparing a dream of the shadow of smoke to a ham sandwich."

Ted Arabian
01-23-2008, 06:11 AM
Mark, I'm sitting in a very boring geology class right now. -- I'm going to go check out your Metamorpheses grabs in just a minute here...

Glad you liked that clip. It was an absolute riot with my father, he found it hilarious. Mike is such a great sport about it, too. I think he might let me throw it on youtube. =)
Um... my name is "Ted"

:grin: :beer: :thumbsup:

Alex Jeffery
01-23-2008, 02:56 PM
I'll change my Sig when you put up new grabs, Kyle. :-)

Mark, scary news: I've heard through word of mouth that Robert Reed is writing a romantic comedy version of The Corsairs for LoveFest. He's not filming it, but just entering the screenplay itself in an attempt to knock us all out of the water.

Mark Johnson
01-23-2008, 03:31 PM
I'll change my Sig when you put up new grabs, Kyle. :-)

Mark, scary news: I've heard through word of mouth that Robert Reed is writing a romantic comedy version of The Corsairs for LoveFest. He's not filming it, but just entering the screenplay itself in an attempt to knock us all out of the water.

By Grapthar's hammer! The Corsairs wreak havoc wherever they tread. As a peripatetic plague, they lurch through the miasma of pusillanimous pretenders. Sowing fear and loathing into the hearts of faux film makers everywhere. Aye, Alex, I cower here with my own talismans of poor protection in the hopes that Nebraska's berserkers are not unleashed within the fest of love.

Ted Arabian
01-23-2008, 04:11 PM
:huh:

Kyle Stebbins
01-23-2008, 07:53 PM
:huh:

Seconded. But to a less degree.

I do appreciate it for what it is on a topical level.
(Good word choices)

Tom Marshall
01-24-2008, 11:16 AM
... fear and loathing ...

Sort of like, "Fear and Loathing in Nebraska"?

Kyle Stebbins
01-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Things have been on a lull lately thanks to my onslaught of classes.
I'm concerned with our production during this busy time.

My classes are harder, more intense, and are really wearing me out. I need all the time I can get to study and then when I'm not doing homework I'm working a couple jobs.

We'll see what happens over the next few weeks, but I do know one thing for sure: I will not cut ANY corners on this film even if it means I'll have less to show when the due date comes for LoveFest.

Alex Jeffery
01-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Not to mention Mike is directing a show that I'm in now for the next month... Yeesh. Weekends are still relatively free though.

Is the next scene on the schedule still the basement scene with the girls?

How's Yimmy Yohn's?

Mark Johnson
01-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Is the next scene on the schedule still the basement scene with the girls?

Yowsuh! I think I've seen this scene before .....

Kyle Stebbins
01-26-2008, 01:56 PM
How's Yimmy Yohn's?

Hey man, JJ is treating me well. It's easy money. -- The only downside is that I know it's going to tack on miles to my car. Ah well, our delivery radius is so small that it almost makes it worth it.

I probably average around $14/hr. We'll see how tonight goes. Saturdays, I hear, mean big $$.

I've almost got my dad convinced he needs an iMac. He gets to stressed out when he's working on his PC's trying to edit multimedia and burn discs... I try to tell him that Macs can do everything he wants straight out of the box. -- I think he's finally taking it all into consideration. Good for him! Great for me!! ;)

Yeah, everything is just so go go go nowadays. I felt so uncomfortable shooting a few days ago because I knew we were being rushed. I don't want to feel that way with this project because I dont NEED to.

:violin:

Anyway, Mark, if you want to fly in and help shoot the basement/girl scene, please... be my guest! The couch is ALWAYS awaiting you with open arms. ;)

PEACE

Mark Johnson
01-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Anyway, Mark, if you want to fly in and help shoot the basement/girl scene, please... be my guest! The couch is ALWAYS awaiting you with open arms. ;)

can I borrow one of the girls from the basement scene?

Kyle Stebbins
01-28-2008, 07:53 AM
I'll send along some contact information ;)

Mark Johnson
01-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Where's the new grabs?

Kyle Stebbins
01-29-2008, 04:29 PM
en route!

Ted Arabian
01-30-2008, 06:19 AM
Hey Kyle, how's the film coming along???? I've been busy with my set, lights, rehearsal, shot list, configuring new camera set-up for dolly.... Haven't been able to follow many of these threads lately.

i hope that you are plugging along!

-Ted

mentatDUKE
01-31-2008, 08:31 AM
Hey Kyle. Good looking cast and location. Looking forward to this. I wonder what the title means....

Good luck.

Robbie Comeau
02-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Your sig says you have new grabs, yet you don't...I want to see some! Please!

Kyle Stebbins
02-04-2008, 07:52 AM
the sig is from awhile back. truth be told, things have really grinded to an unforeseen halt. my days last from 9am to 11pm and outside of that i really don't have much time for making a movie. i've got homework and other things that occupy all my time.

it's really a pain, but i've got no other choice at all. i need the money so i have to keep working my two jobs, even if it means i can't shoot films as often as i used to be. =(

I'll be throwing a quick piece together to submit, though, so stay tuned nonetheless.

Sorry Robbie!

Zak Forsman
02-04-2008, 07:57 AM
sorry to hear that kyle. things will turn around eventually if this is what you were meant to do. looking forward to seeing what you piece together.

Tom Marshall
02-04-2008, 09:47 AM
the sig is from awhile back. truth be told, things have really grinded to an unforeseen halt. my days last from 9am to 11pm and outside of that i really don't have much time for making a movie. i've got homework and other things that occupy all my time.

it's really a pain, but i've got no other choice at all. i need the money so i have to keep working my two jobs, even if it means i can't shoot films as often as i used to be. =(

I'll be throwing a quick piece together to submit, though, so stay tuned nonetheless.

Sorry Robbie!

Oh man, that's not good... you need to simplify your life. Get rid of the car and buy a bicycle. Get rid of the house and get a nice big cardboard box. Then you can go out and shoot stuff more often... :thumbsup:

Kyle Stebbins
02-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Just finished the edit of the final scene. Prepare to at least see THAT for my submission =)

Robbie Comeau
02-05-2008, 05:23 PM
That sucks.

Looking forward to seeing what ever you have ready :thumbsup:

Kyle Stebbins
02-07-2008, 06:26 AM
Against my father's wishes, I will probably be uploading the final scene that takes place in an auditorium. (from the grabs)

i think hes just nervous about his song getting out there... he'll forever and always consider it a "rough cut" but i'm here to tell you that the song is perfect and pretty flawless.

i think it's no wonder that he shares a birthday with Vienna Teng.

Robert Eldon
02-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Kyle,

I was looking forward to finding out what 'Our Blue Little World' was all about. It'll be cool to see what you have, but will you explain the title anyway?

Thanks,

RobertE