PDA

View Full Version : THE TRAGEDY OF MISTER GEPPETTO - A film by J. Anthony Gonzales (cinealma)

cinealma
11-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Cine Alma Pictures presents

The Tragedy of Mister Geppetto
A film by J. Anthony Gonzales

First concept poster:

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1196200074.jpg

cinealma
11-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Bts, Notes, Etc.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Looking forward to seeing your work again.

Cheers,

Mike

Tom Marshall
11-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Reserved.

Very intriguing, John... :happy:

cinealma
11-14-2007, 05:27 PM

Indeed. :happy:

Marlon Ladd
11-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

deedive
11-22-2007, 03:44 AM
:) good, another one in the works...

Herman Witkam
11-22-2007, 03:56 AM
Much looking forward to it :)

Dustin R. Rogan
11-22-2007, 07:50 AM
good luck!

cinealma
11-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks, guys. Working out a couple of ideas, hoping to shape them into something.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-23-2007, 09:32 PM
it's on now biotches. :beer:

cinealma
11-25-2007, 09:45 PM
it's on now biotches. :beer:

Yo, yo, yo baby! :happy:

cinealma
11-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Story idea locked and loaded. And away we go...

(First concept poster added to post #1).

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Great poster!

Tom Marshall
11-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Story idea locked and loaded. And away we go...

(First concept poster added to post #1).

Whoa... Deja Vu... :cheesy:

cinealma
11-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Whoa... Deja Vu... :cheesy:

Wait... they must have changed something. :undecided

Chris Messineo
11-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Definitely intriguing. The poster looks like something off a Criterion DVD. :)

Tom Marshall
11-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Wait... they must have changed something. :undecided

I posted the same response in the 4th post of the thread and was... nevermind... :D

cinealma
12-06-2007, 11:10 AM
A friend of mine, John D'John, thought it would be a good idea to do a number of interviews "for the record" while I work on my next project. This basically is to cover my work on the Pathomania feature, but I thought it might be nice to do some Q&A about this project as well. I will post his transcriptions when I get them in lieu of keeping a thread journal or the like. So, without further ado...

INTERVIEW #1 - December 2nd, 2007 - Camarillo, CA

JD: Congratulations on the "Creative Vision" award for Pathomania during the last DVX User Film Festival.

Gonzales: Thanks. My wife told me that if I was ever going to win anything for one of these contests, that was going to be one. (laughs)

JD: So what did you win?

Gonzales: A neat little LED light set-up made for video cameras. I don't actually own a video camera, so I'll keep it in my kit and use it as an inky or something. It's a nice little kit. Very generous prize.

JD: How is the feature coming along?

Gonzales: Which one? (laughs) Um, well, I believe you are referring to Pathomania, right?

JD: Yes.

Gonzales: Welp, I just finished making the upgrades to my computer. For the DVX fest, I did the film in standard definition. But for the larger project, I am going to be working in HD.

JD: 720 or 1080?

Gonzales: I haven't decided yet. I still have some system tests to do.

JD: Get that render farm powered up!

Gonzales: Uh, no. Still ghetto. Now it's just ghetto HD. (smiles)

JD: And you will be finished...

Gonzales: I am shooting for Fall 2008. But time will always tell.

JD: So let's talk about some of your other projects.

Gonzales: Ok, but this could take all night. (laughs)

JD: Well, then, let's narrow it down to this Lovers Festival thing.

Gonzales: Love Fest.

JD: Yes, the DVX User Love Fest.

Gonzales: I'm working on a film called "The Tragedy of Mister Geppetto".

JD: A Pinnochio movie?

Gonzales: (laughs) The obvious question. This is not an adaptation or anything like that. It's more like my own Pinnochio story. Character names and some of the overall ideas are the same, but the story and the theme is much different.

JD: Darker?

Gonzales: Of course.

JD: So what's it about?

Gonzales: It's about the fragility of a child's love for a parent. I feel that it is a very fine line you walk between being the greatest parent in the world and being the worst-- in the heart of a child, I mean.

JD: You are a parent yourself.

Gonzales: Yes. I have five kids.

JD: All boys, no less.

Gonzales: Right. The youngest, who are about to turn two, are twins.

JD: The ER twins.

Gonzales: Yep. I was upset that they got into IMDB before I did. And their resume, like, takes up the whole damn screen. (laughing)

JD: Ok, so back to the film. Is this going to be a narrative piece or more experimental?

Gonzales: There is a straight forward story. Very little dialogue, but definitely a story you can grasp onto and follow.

JD: I know you have a love for black and white films. Will this one be in black and white?

Gonzales: I haven't decided yet. But if I do color, it's going to be very muted. Something like what the Polish brothers did with Northfork.

JD: Are you using a Panasonic DVX again?

Gonzales: Another undecided. That's my fall back camera. Right now it's down to three different cameras: a 35mm handcranked Russian camera, Super-8 or the DVX. The first two is all about budget.

JD: Wow, 35mm handcranked. That seems a little crazy.

Gonzales: Yes, well... And if I can only get my hands on an anamorphic lens.

JD: Do you have a cast in place?

Gonzales: Mostly. Paul Whitehead will be playing Geppetto and some of my boys will be in it. There are a few smaller bits that need to be filled but I have people in mind.

JD: Paul is in a lot of your films, correct?

Gonzales: Yes, he's like my Johnny Depp is to Tim Burton. (smiles) He's really a terrific actor. I was very fortunate to have our paths cross. I hope to have a very long and continued working relationship with him.

JD: Quickly, let's get a little more info about you.

Gonzales: Ok.

JD: Born and raised?

Gonzales: Born in Los Angeles. Raised all over Southern California. Junior High and High School I lived in Burbank.

JD: They have a nice mall.

Gonzales: Wasn't there when I was growing up. We used to have to take the bus to North Hollywood or Glendale in order to go see a movie.

JD: Who are your influences?

Gonzales: Oh, one of those kind of questions. Well, let me see... I'll stick to film and give you some filmmakers whose work inspires me. First off the top would definitely be Bergman. Fellini, of course. Godard. Cassavetes. Scorsese. Does this list sound pretentious?

JD: No, not at all. Not coming from you. I've seen your DVD collection.

Gonzales: Two films that gave me that kick in the ass to really want to make films were Spike Lee's "She's Gotta Have It" and Jim Jarmusch's "Stranger Than Paradise". Robert Rodriguez's "El Mariachi" made me believe I could do it.

JD: Any more "greats"?

Gonzales: Tarkovsky. Polanski. Spielberg to some degree I guess.

JD: What about obscure or niche directors?

Gonzales: I'm a big Almodovar fan. Mike Leigh, especially "Life is Sweet" and "Naked". Figgis interests me in some strange way.

JD: What about David Lynch?

Gonzales: I think that goes without saying. But I feel he transcends film. A true artist and a true original.

JD: I agree. I look forward seeing the film.

Gonzales: Thank you very much.

JD: Thanks for the interview and we will talk again soon.

Gonzales: You got it.

Brandon Rice
12-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Cool interview John!

Robbie Comeau
12-06-2007, 11:57 AM

What's that mean? Dd he write it?

r

cinealma
12-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Cool interview John!

Thanks. I hope to use these interviews as kind of my "production diary". I usually start one out but then it kind of gets away from me.

What's that mean? Dd he write it?

r

No, Tom didn't write the project. He's just some obsessed fan.:laugh:

Cheers!

Robbie Comeau
12-06-2007, 04:56 PM
No, i mean Very intruiging?

r

Robbie Comeau
12-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Cause tommyinla quoted you saying "Reserved"
but you never wrote that?

r

Billy Pilgrim
12-06-2007, 05:04 PM
And if I can only get my hands on an anamorphic lens.

I own two anamorphic scope lenses.

Can't wait to see this. After Pathomania, I'm most looking forward to what you have to offer.

cinealma
12-06-2007, 07:25 PM
No, i mean Very intruiging?

r

Cause tommyinla quoted you saying "Reserved"
but you never wrote that?

r

Oh, I see what you mean. No, he doesn't really know anything about the film right now. "Reserved" was just the "reserved" in: I'm reserving these spots in this thread for BTS and stuff.

I own two anamorphic scope lenses.

Can't wait to see this. After Pathomania, I'm most looking forward to what you have to offer.

Thanks, Matt. What do you use your scope lenses with?

Billy Pilgrim
12-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks, Matt. What do you use your scope lenses with?

DVX. One of them is too small to use with the DVX though, as it's meant for 16mm cameras. The other is made for 35mm cameras, and is marginally bigger, but still kind of a pain to use. Some shots in the art of suicide were shot with the lens (when he's writing the suicide note, the film noirish blinds shot, and a couple others).

cinealma
12-06-2007, 08:32 PM
DVX. One of them is too small to use with the DVX though, as it's meant for 16mm cameras. The other is made for 35mm cameras, and is marginally bigger, but still kind of a pain to use. Some shots in the art of suicide were shot with the lens (when he's writing the suicide note, the film noirish blinds shot, and a couple others).

Very cool. How do you rig it up to the DVX? I'll have to go back and look at your film now, of course.

Billy Pilgrim
12-06-2007, 08:49 PM
It's screw-mount, so I just have a couple of step-rings.

Here's a couple of pictures:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Billy_Pilgrim/The%20Art%20Of%20Suicide/mewithcameraanamorphic1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Billy_Pilgrim/The%20Art%20Of%20Suicide/mewithcameraanamorphic2.jpg

cinealma
12-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Love the set-up (and you're green screen wall). I went back and watched The Art of Suicide again. Focus looks great. Is it a pain in the ass to work with? Oh, and what kind of lens is it?

Billy Pilgrim
12-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Love the set-up (and you're green screen wall). I went back and watched The Art of Suicide again. Focus looks great. Is it a pain in the ass to work with? Oh, and what kind of lens is it?

Actually, I shot that in my friends "studio" which is a house that is used as a studio, and has a wall painted green, since they do a fake daily show type of news show, and do a lot of chroma key shots.

It's kind of a pain, but not so bad. Focusing is a little harder to do, and since I have to zoom in so far to get rid of the vignetting, I'm fairly limited as to how I can shoot.

The lens is an Optivision XW 5000. I bought it at a local camera shop. I went there to just get the step rings, and when I told the owner what I was doing, he went in the back room for a couple of minutes, and came back with the lens. Turns out he sells film equipment to Indian Filmmakers on the side. I got my first lens (Sankor 16c) from ebay. They have some pretty good anamorphic lenses once in a while. I got most most of my information on shooting anamorphic DV from this (http://owyheesound.com/anamorphic.html) website.

cinealma
12-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Just a quick update...

We are shooting for three days next week, 12/26 - 12/28. Still working to get everything together. Stressing out but somehow it always works out.

Cheers!

Marlon Ladd
12-24-2007, 06:29 AM
Nice, in depth interview. 5 kids?! Wow! Do your thing, John! I like the concept of this film too. Good choice.

Tom Marshall
12-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Some obsessed fan? After all we've been through? :cry::cheesy:

And what's this that I get no mention in your interview? :huh:

Brandon Rice
12-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Good luck with your shoot today!

Kyle Stebbins
12-27-2007, 02:17 AM
Some obsessed fan? After all we've been through? :cry::cheesy:

And what's this that I get no mention in your interview? :huh:

It's the Mustang, man. - and the fact that you starred in one of those movies that GOLDEN helped produce...

Tom Marshall
12-29-2007, 12:31 AM
It's the Mustang, man. - and the fact that you starred in one of those movies that GOLDEN helped produce...

So it's the whole competition thing? :violent5:

cinealma
01-02-2008, 10:50 AM
You guys crack me up. Hey, Tom, I thought you were going to sell that Mustang so you could buy yourself some calf implants?

cinealma
01-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Here's the second interview I did with Mr. D'John last weekend.

INTERVIEW #2 - December 30th, 2007 - Ventura, CA

JD: So what are we doing today in Ventura?

Gonzales: I'm scouting a few more exteriors for this film. Ventura was once upon a time a small oil town, so there lots of interesting buildings and such in the western part of the county.

JD: How did the shoot go last week?

Gonzales: It didn't. A few things came up that prohibited us from shooting, so I've moved the date back to MLK weekend. It's only going to give me three weeks to post for the DVX User deadline, but what are you going to do?

JD: So the usual jam and cram?

Gonzales: Yep.

JD: You've decided to shoot on dv, now. Correct?

Gonzales: Yes.

JD: I know you were hoping to shoot on film.

Gonzales: Well, things happen, you know. I, uh-- let's just say I don't want to venture into the unknown with this film-- especially with only three weeks for post.

JD: But I saw that Super 8 camera sitting on your shelf, begging to be used. And that Konvas with the handcrank--

Gonzales: Shh. Let's not talk about those. That's for-- something else.

JD: Any other news about the film?

Gonzales: Well, let me see. I think I've settled on an actual title of the film.

JD: I like "The Tragedy of Mister Geppetto".

Gonzales: Yes, well, I stole that from another film idea I have and I like it better for that other film.

JD: What's the new title?

Gonzales: Wood Heart.

JD: Ok. I like that one too.

Gonzales: Well, I'll let it soak up the juices in my head for a bit and see if it sticks.

JD: I also hear that this is going to be a silent film, like from the nineteen-twenties.

Gonzales: Rumors. Yes, well-- we'll see.

JD: So you aren't denying it?

Gonzales: One never knows, does one?

JD: Indeed.

We drive down a small street off the main avenue in Ventura. Gonzales pulls the car over across the street from an old, weathered warehouse. He doesn't say anything. He sits and stares at the structure for about ten minutes and then writes something down in a little wire-bound notebook. I take a peek over and I can see a couple of storyboard frames and some chicken scratch around them. He closes the notebook, puts the car in gear, and we drive off.

JD: Did you find something?

Gonzales: There's no sun on this street. Hills on both sides here. I'll have to come back in the morning and see what it looks like.

JD: I like the padlocked door.

Gonzales: Yes, that was interesting. And all the textured grays are peachy. Oh, did I tell you I got my new fog machine?

JD: No.

Gonzales: I got it pretty cheap from some "old stock" warehouse in Simi Valley. It's like a bazillion watt continuous model. Only thing is it didn't come with intstructions. I assume you just pour in the juice and let her rip. I guess I should test it out, huh?

JD: That sounds about right.

Gonzales: There's a great taco place down Main Street. Let's go.

JD: I'm hungry.

Gonzales: Me, too.

JD: Anything else?

Gonzales: Yes, one more thing for this interview.

JD: Yes?

Gonzales: Tom Marshall!

Brandon Rice
01-02-2008, 10:57 AM
HA HA! Classic... good interview man!

Ted Arabian
01-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Hey John, GREAT THREAD! I love the interviews!!! I have only read the first one and was just getting to the 2nd one but by dinner is ready to come out of the oven and my wife is starving! I am going to have to get to the rest of it later. (I know, too much information!)

But really great to read through that first interview. I learned a lot about you. Some of it I suspected... like your choice of directors and such but some of it I had no idea. 5 boys, huh? Wow! That is a lot of boys! You can almost fill a baseball diamond in your house! (well, not IN your house... well, maybe you could! I've never been to your house so I don't know.)

Okay oaky... my wife is starting to get really impatient!

Talk to you later!

-Ted

Jason Ramsey
01-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Looks like another very interesting bid from you, John. Much looking forward to it.

Later,
Jason

Ted Arabian
01-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Gonzales: Yes, one more thing for this interview.

JD: Yes?

Gonzales: Tom Marshall!

LMAO!!!!

Great job, John!

Really looking forward to this.

Marlon Ladd
01-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Any updates?

cinealma
01-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while. Long story short, I'm out of the fest with this project. Good news is that this project has grown into a feature length endeavor. First three days of production this past weekend went well; just a few hiccups, but nothing major. I'm very happy with what we've shot so far. We're shooting again this weekend. I'll post some grabs soon.

Cheers!

Marlon Ladd
01-28-2008, 05:35 AM
That's too bad about the fest., but great that you're turning it into a feature. Keep us posted!

Ted Arabian
01-28-2008, 05:59 AM
Good news is that this project has grown into a feature length endeavor.
WHOA!!!! CONGRATS JOHN!!!!!

That is EXCELLENT news!!!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-28-2008, 06:05 AM
Loved Pathomania! So I can't wait to see a feature from you.

Cheers,

Mike

Luis Caffesse
01-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Damn - best of luck on it!
Keep us updated as things go on.

:thumbsup:

Mark Harris
01-28-2008, 07:20 AM
THANK GOD we don't have to compete against John in this fest. Whew!...er, I mean, bummer dude...but, um, good luck with the feature version...

Jack Daniel Stanley
01-28-2008, 08:47 AM
no fest? sucks.
feature? awesome
now post some effin' grabs dood!

cinealma
01-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Hey, thanks guys. I truly appreciate all the support and I feel extremely fortunate to be part of this community.

We finished up days 4 and 5 this past weekend. We're about 1/2-way through. Everybody on this project has been great. Two fellow DVXUser's are onboard: Tom Marshall and Max Wilson.

The title will most likely change and the story has changed "a bit" as well.

Now, I'm not a big "behind-the-scenes" and footage guy, mainly because I cringe when I see "grabs" that are not finished (CC, VFX, etc.). However, I feel comfortable enough to at least post a few. :beer:

The following grabs are just a quick-and-dirty B/W conversion and are 16:9, not framed for final aspect ratio.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1201595538.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1201595584.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1201595638.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1201595678.jpg

Rare BTS grab: Gonzales directs! (left-to-right: Sam P. Whitehead, Gonzales, Michael Goldstyn, Ramnick Velji.)

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1201595701.jpg

I will start a new thread very soon over in the "User Films" section.

Thanks again!

Cheers. :beer::beer:

Ted Arabian
01-29-2008, 02:49 AM
Very cool, John! Thanks for sharing the grabs. I really like that first image a lot. Also neat to see you on the set directing.

Looking forward to the continued updates on this project!

-Ted

cinealma
01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks Ted! Good luck on your LoveFest entry.

Marlon Ladd
01-29-2008, 11:00 AM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/13091/1201595678.jpg

Loved the lighting on this shot. Cool.

Ted Arabian
01-30-2008, 06:26 AM
I appreciate that!

I shoot tomorrow!!!

mentatDUKE
01-31-2008, 08:28 AM
cinealma, congrats on the feature news. I'm loving the way this looks. Reminds me of your HorrorFest entry (same actor too right?).

Sign me up for a DVD.

Good luck.

Tom Marshall
02-01-2008, 09:51 PM
This project has been great to be a part of... esp when we're trying to get the lighting for one shot just right and it isn't working for some reason then you happen upon something and the actors are going nuts because the director and the DP (ok, I'm not really a DP) keep tweaking the lighting for an hour and a half and... :)

John's got a great vision for this piece. I think people will be in for a nice surprise when it hits the theaters... :thumbsup:

Maximus
02-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Good luck with the feature. Many of us hope to take that leap someday. Look forward to seeing it!

cinealma
02-04-2008, 12:46 PM
cinealma, congrats on the feature news. I'm loving the way this looks. Reminds me of your HorrorFest entry (same actor too right?).

Sign me up for a DVD.

Good luck.

Thanks Mr. Duke. Yes, Sam P. Whitehead was in CFWB:N9. Well, he's been in most of my films at this point. He's a great collaborator in this whole crazy filmmaking thing.

Again, thanks for the support. I appreciate it.

cinealma
02-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Loved the lighting on this shot. Cool.

Thanks. Hey, that's one I lit, too! We don't need no stinkin' DP! :grin:

Good luck with the feature. Many of us hope to take that leap someday. Look forward to seeing it!

Just do it, I say! I just finished up day #6 of shooting. The most shooting days I ever did was on CFWB:N9, which was 2-1/2 days. Although I haven't slept much over the last couple of weeks, it's been a blast.

Thanks again for the support!

cinealma
02-04-2008, 12:52 PM
This project has been great to be a part of... esp when we're trying to get the lighting for one shot just right and it isn't working for some reason then you happen upon something and the actors are going nuts because the director and the DP (ok, I'm not really a DP) keep tweaking the lighting for an hour and a half and... :)

John's got a great vision for this piece. I think people will be in for a nice surprise when it hits the theaters... :thumbsup:

Thanks Tom! Honestly, it's a pleasure to have you working/acting on this project. It's always great to find people who can put up with my crap. :happy:

Oh, if it hits theaters, I'll be surprised all right! :shocked:

Cheers! :beer:

Matty_g
02-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Very nice imagery John.
Same old culprits!
Looking forward to it.

cinealma
02-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Very nice imagery John.
Same old culprits!
Looking forward to it.