PDA

View Full Version : A Special Treat - From the "Dream Team" . . .

Larry Rutledge
11-11-2007, 11:18 PM
First let me say congratulations to all the winners, you guys did a great job and deserve the win. Also, let me say great job to every one that entered, win or lose you still went out there and made a film. :thumbsup:

Now, we have a special treat to wrap up this great All Hallows Festival . . . another entry from the crew that brought us "A Little Mouth To Feed".

This entry, Unawakening, was shot on the Panasonic HPX 500 and crewed by Macgregor, Jack Daniel Stanley, John Hudson, Barry Green, and David Jimerson.

To download the film you can either go to the All Hallows download page, or click the direct link here:

Unawakening (http://www.dvxfest.com/allhallowsfest/loader.php?id=41984)

http://frenchquarterfeatures.com/unawakening/UNAWAKENING_DVX_POSTER.jpg
(http://www.dvxfest.com/allhallowsfest/loader.php?id=41984)

Blaine
11-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks to JDS and crew. This is the one I've been waiting for. :thumbsup:

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Heheh thanks Larry.
And thanks for the intersest Blaine.
:beer:

So this is finished. But still a work in progress. Make sense?
Most of the production team has not even seen this "rough cut".

It's hot of the edit bay, so hot Mac and I haven't even discussed the grading at all.

So hopefully you will enjoy and we'll share changes we make in it, if any, at somepoint down the line.

A note on the post fest release ... When it became clear that I couldn't finish our second film until very late in the fest we didn't want to add a total of 16 minutes of viewing time (both films together) when it's a challenge to see all the films before voting closes anyway. So here it is POST fest. We made it for and complied by the Hallows Fest Rules, except for length and upload date :)

More than anything we wanted to share John Hudson's acting cameo debut with you :laugh: He's a scene stealer :grin:

We shot this in two days basically and picked up the traffic scene in a couple of hours on another day. There were a lot of company moves but we wanted to challenge ourselves to work at a fast pace as practice for future projects. Our other piece we took our time with. This one was guerilla style to in the extreme ... I mean stealing a scene in the middle of traffic ... fun :D

Thanks again Barry and David for putting it together.

And thanks Larry R for staying up so late to take care of this when you have to get up so early!

And thanks to Barry_S who happily agreed to accommodate our two purple unicorns in the first place.

Blaine
11-11-2007, 11:58 PM
I like what I've seen so far, Jack. I'll be looking forward to the final cut. Both of your short films were outstanding and while what you've done in the past is very good, I think these are on a completely different level.

J.R. Hudson
11-12-2007, 12:02 AM
I'll be posting my review manana

But I think this is hands down Jack's best work since Odd Squad and this surpasses that completely.

Totally emerged in this film and performances from Shaun, Michelle and Julie that are just made. All of the elements of Film come together in this one; story, cinemaphotography, acting, score, sound design, edit ....

Loved it. Very stoked on this Jack.

Matt Harris
11-12-2007, 12:37 AM
um... awesome? easily the best piece of footage ever to have aired on dvxuser.com.
my girlfiend watched and said "oh no he did'nt". this is getting ridiculous, jack is barred from dvxuser.com. spread your wings butterfly and fly away. All joking aside, i love this film. No negatives, must rewatch and study.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-12-2007, 01:01 AM
lol

these last two shorts are an attempt to spread wings

we put our all into these to "sell" the team at a later date, and to do a couple of other fun business-y things with the shorts down the road too.

But we love the community here and I love making films for these fests almost more than anything else. Seriously if DVXfest was a job, I'd want for nothing in life (already have love, pets, netflix and a couple of pairs of jeans) :)

So it was a great way for us to facilitate doing something to the nth degree that we all love and wish we could do more of with some tangible plans for both films down the line.

Man ... whew ... speaking of Unawakening ... I'm gonna sleep for a long time now :)

mikkowilson
11-12-2007, 02:10 AM
WOW! Great work guys! :shocked:

2 days? Bull.

How much time did you spend in Pre-prod? tell us more about the body! And the one beeing buried too! I presume that was a fake eye?

Excellent work as always. :thumbsup:

- Mikko ... doesn't ever want to cross John in traffic.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-12-2007, 02:26 AM
hahah we shot:
DAY ONE:
- all the the docs office
- all the digging and burying.
- the phone booth scene.

We were gonna get the traffic scene that day but we got out of the docs office too late and lost the light

DAY TWO:
- then we shot everything in the house in one day. 65 shots, about 17? setups, about 6 pages. the cast was there about 12 hours, we were there about 15 hours.

Then we picked up the traffic shot in about 90 minutes on another day.

I don't want to say too much about the body ...

But the eye ... that was compositing ... we had the actor look straight up and open his eye, then he closed them tight and we threw dirt on his face.

In post I put the open eye over the closed eye and feathered the dirt as it came down over it.

Not much time in pre-prod. We spent all our pre-prod time on LMTF. The idea with this one was to do run and gun and have that serve the style. I barely had the shot lists done before each day of shooting since we were in pre-pro for LMTF and that one was heavily art directed.

Mac is a good DP at all technical levels, but this kind of work, this sort of intimate hand held style is his particular genius. So I wanted to come up with a thriller that we could shoot like 18 Seconds.

One thing that helped time a lot was that we ditched the 35mm adpator on day one (after we got out of the docs office). I think you'd be crazy to shoot with an adapter with the HPX except under very specific cirmcustances maybe ... reason being is that it already has SDOF comparible to a 16mm camera.

Will it get so shallow that it looks surreal like 35mm or adaptors, in most instances probably not, but we all know that's kind of a newb thing anyway - shooting all the way open all the time. Real movies just don't do that. So it definitely has enough SDOF to make it look a little more filmmic, but the actors can still shift without going out of focus.

The only thing I didn't like about the HPX was the glass on it, and I don't know what lens it is but ... I've been shooting with $50 and $200 35mm still camera lenses for 2 yeas now and I have never noticed them breathing. This thing breathed so much that the whole frame was different sometimes. I had conceived several shots with rack focus like *SPOILER* racking from her in focus dead hand in the foreground to her living reflection on the TV. But the breathing was so bad it was ridiculous and I had to cut around it.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-12-2007, 02:41 AM
... tell us more about the body! ...
Ah Crap. I forgot to list Mark Johnson as Technical Adviser in the credits.

Barry and David check the credits for any other omissions / errors and I will fix them when I add Mark and then kindly ask Larry to swap them out.

But Mark helped us with some research and details on the corpse.

Luis Caffesse
11-12-2007, 06:07 AM
Just watched it.
Nice work!
:thumbsup:

Mark Johnson
11-12-2007, 06:22 AM
Whoa! I got up early this morning and was rewarded to find this little present! Jack, you constantly are an inspiration to all of us in the trenches.

I've mentioned in previous posts how much I admire your attention to detail and it is very obvious in every frame you shoot just how much planning and preproduction is involved. You have the best work ethic of anyone I know, sir.

What little assistance I was able to give Jack here involved my experience with corpse-rotting that comes from my forensic background. Early on Jack began asking questions about decomposition and the dynamic factors attendant to certain environmental conditions. I found it remarkable, because Jack's interest was NOT simply to come up with an image that looked good for the film ... he was truly concerned about matters such as details affecting skin appearance and how desiccation would affect the jaw muscles etc. etc. Each time I would consider his queries and provide further information there were followup questions and uploaded images and test frames showing how he had altered his prosthetic. It was really remarkable and particularly impressive to me, because he was seeking "authentic" rather than simply "aesthetic."

I recall more than a year ago when we were working on Rekindled that I first realized this guy was OBSESSED because he started sending me lengthy composed articles describing brutal murders that he had me use to mock up newspaper pages and clippings to use for set dressing. Even though only the headlines would ever be readable on screen, Jack insisted that not only would the articles themselves be coherent, but that the remainder of the newspapers be mocked up from actual period papers so that all OTHER articles and advertisements would match the period of our killer's crimes. At first I was kind of amused and thought Jack was maybe a little bit of a fanatic nut job, but as we continued to work I came to realize how important this process really is and how seeking authenticity gives so much weight to the production on the part of everybody involved.

If you can get the special edition of SEVEN there is a wonderful behind the scenes segment about the making of the killer's mad diaries in that film that reminds me very much of Jack's approach. As much as I wish it weren't true, apparently hard work is necessary to create really good films :)

Great stuff here, Jack, and I don't mean to overlook the rest of your brilliant team. This is really what it is all about. I can't say enough to show appreciation for all of you guys and what you've given us this time around.

Erik Olson
11-12-2007, 07:10 AM
Just gave "here's mud in your eye" new meaing. Nice work gents.

e

Drew Ott
11-12-2007, 07:25 AM
I'd love to watch this but I'm at school and they have downloads and volume disabled...

and I don't think this site is allowed. I can't wait to get home.

Robbie Comeau
11-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Props to Mcgregor to the Tremendous cinematographer. The edit was great. The story was nice too. How on earth did you do the shot of the girl doing her hair in front of the mirror, with the lead in the background?

10/10!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Really nice work. I'm going to watch it again before commenting further.
Loved the shot of the guy getting buried!

Cheers!

Mike

preston
11-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Annabel Lee! - Jack, back when you were lobbying for "Poe-Fest", this was the piece I was planning/hoping to adapt. Looks like you beat me to it! If only that house was on the ocean . . .

Great work all around, guys.

Brandon Rice
11-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Jack, nice :thumbsup:

ugafan
11-12-2007, 11:59 AM
very cool! jack, you do realize that now you must do "the cask of amontillado" because that would rock. :)

also, how much would it cost for one of us to rent the dream team for a movie?

David Jimerson
11-12-2007, 12:01 PM

How much have you got?

SimonB
11-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Well, this certainly sets a new standard.:)

Fantastic job. Loved the attention to detail, composition, the hand held touch, and the score as well.

ugafan
11-12-2007, 12:10 PM
How much have you got?

not much. but in my defense, every human dollar equals 7 dog dollars. so the exchange rate isn't very good. :undecided

David Jimerson
11-12-2007, 12:19 PM
This film exceeded my expectations in every respect. In production, I think we were all thinking of LMTF as being the true showpiece of the two -- and in terms of art direction, it probably is -- but as the whole package, Unawakening ended up blowing me away. The acting, camera work, directing, makeup, everything, including the found locations, all conspired to make a pretty kick-ass whole.

Yeah, I was worried we'd get arrested when shooting the phone booth scene, with passersby screaming at us about the lights; I was paranoid that we'd damage the model home in some irreparable way, and that the sound of the gun would have cops all over us; I had all the producer's conniption fits that come with the territory, but hey . . . the results are fantastic.

Very pleased with how this came out. And it's not even done yet.

mentatDUKE
11-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Great job on this guys! Really enjoyable.

David, you mentioned "the sound of the gun". I take it you guys used blanks. How did you manage that situation? (Demolitions guy or just plain being careful?)
I'm very interested in blanks rather than post effects since i like an authentic recoil, muzzle flash, casing ejection, etc. Please do tell.

David Jimerson
11-12-2007, 12:32 PM
It was by no means a functional gun. It was, for all intents and purposes, a starter pistol made to look like a real semi-auto. The barrel was filled in with solid lead. It fired 8mm starter blanks, so you couldn't even fit live ammo into it if you wanted to.

Even so, we treated it, as you always should, as a live weapon. It was loaded only when it needed to be fired for the take.

The lead actor, Shaun, also produces a local web series called "Port City P.D.", and he's the prop master for it, so he handled the gun at all times.

bosindy
11-12-2007, 01:00 PM
very well done. The use of focus and zoom really complimented the leads state of mind. Technically pro in all aspects: writing, editing, acting, lighting. "Norman" was a nod to Hitchcock? I would love to see how you lit the outside shots if you have any BTS?

This film ironically would be well suited for Lovefest as well.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-12-2007, 01:22 PM
This film ironically would be well suited for Lovefest as well.Exactly!

Barry_Green
11-12-2007, 02:15 PM
While we are all justifiably proud of LMTF, I have to say that this is the one that I was looking forward to even more. Jack and I went through the script over and over, trying to make sure that we got what we wanted out of it. Mac did a fantastic job with the cinematography, and we had an even smaller crew for this one. We moved fast, we shot tons, and it really turned out well. The cinematography and art direction aren't as polished as LMTF, of course, but for the time we had and the type of film we were doing, I'm delighted with how this turned out.

Especially that eyeball shot, Jack's compositing wizardry is just awesome.

Glad you guys are liking it, and I'm looking forward to seeing the final version!

Chris Messineo
11-12-2007, 03:00 PM
I really enjoyed this film.

Amazing that you were able to shoot it all so quickly. I love MacGregor's cinematography and I thought the edit was tight.

Very well done.

Marlon Ladd
11-12-2007, 04:07 PM
You can definately tell the style was different from "A Little Mouth To Feed." It's amazing how much you guys were able to do in such a short amount of time, but that's independent filmmaking to the max. We'd all love to have more time, but when you have quality people around you that know what they're doing you don't always need as much time as you think.

I loved the lighting in the background when the guy was burrying the body. I assume that was that the work of a fog machine and gels, but how many lights did it take to light that area?

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Who did the music?

David Jimerson
11-12-2007, 05:31 PM
One light, no gels. :) Details to follow . . .

DarkMatter
11-12-2007, 05:56 PM
To quote Army of Darkness
"You found me beautiful once!"
"Honey, you got real ugly!"

Great stuff guys! :shocked:

So was this your Lovefest short?

Drew Ott
11-12-2007, 05:58 PM
One light, no gels. :) Details to follow . . .

no way...

Kevin Lee
11-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Great Job!

***SPOILER***

But I soooo wanted to see her jump up and come to life in all her uglyness.

Edgen
11-12-2007, 07:03 PM
I really dug the film and story.. beautifully shot. framed, edited.. Thanks for the show.

But, if i had to pick something out, I can't say that I liked the jerky camera movements. It seemed almost too much at times. Overkill in some shots. Especially the in and out focus. Maybe I'm just tainted by all the reality TV shows nowadays?

Ooh.. Music? No credit for the composer? or was it stock library music?

again, thanks for sharing. Now to push that feature film out to the world fellas!

/j

J.R. Hudson
11-12-2007, 07:18 PM
I too have resevrvation on the snap zoom techniques so prevalent in todays work; this film not withstanding but it was so well executed it never detracted from me

I'm fixated on the traditional work

chris f
11-12-2007, 08:08 PM
i really enjoyed this, quite possibly the best overall production from you guys. if someone posted this short saying "check out this new pilot from NBC" i would have totally bought it. great job guys

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-12-2007, 08:41 PM
.... How on earth did you do the shot of the girl doing her hair in front of the mirror, with the lead in the background?

10/10!
It's not that hard. Surely you've stood next to someone who's looking in a mirror and been able to see them and not yoursefl. That's the idea, just keep moving the camera to the side until don't see it while keeping the lens pointed at the mirror.

Annabel Lee! - Jack, back when you were lobbying for "Poe-Fest", this was the piece I was planning/hoping to adapt. Looks like you beat me to it! If only that house was on the ocean . . .

Great work all around, guys.

Yes nice catch there :) Always loved that poem, a profession of love for a dead girl.

very well done. The use of focus and zoom really complimented the leads state of mind. Technically pro in all aspects: writing, editing, acting, lighting. "Norman" ....

Yes exactly. The homage shot inspired by Psycho are the shots outside of the house with the lit window.

This whole thing is sort of a riff on - What if Norman Bates had a lucid moment / was on modern pharmaceuticals. Of course in that he sees his mother as still alive out of guilt and in this own it may be tinged with guilt for killing her but its more from love / a desire to hold on to her.

In a way its where the Poe poem and Psycho meet.

Who did the music?

... Ooh.. Music? No credit for the composer? or was it stock library music?

..../j

It's all stock, hacked and remixed and layered over the top of each other. Used mostly for the sake of time

Video co-pilot has a new sound DVD out that has lots of great horror stings and zingers and some good transitions. Very few of the finished pieces are worth much for scoring, but the zingers and transitions are pretty cool.

HDkilledFILM.
11-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Really, really liked this. I thought that the pacing was good and the lead actor did a fantastic job. Having said that I will say that I liked LMTF more over all and I think it was because of the shooting, I'm a sucker for the old style too. Also the corpse in this one bothered me a bit, well not all of it just the eyes. Depending on the environment that the corpse would be subjected to (heat, moisture, etc..) the skins leathery texture with the eyes remaining is very, very unlikely. (I worked at a morgue for two years) Yes I know that the body looks great on film but with most decomps after the fluids have seeped out of the body the eyes, which are mostly fluid, would have rotted out long before the skin reached this state. Having said all of that I will say that if this film and LMTF were in the running for the fest they should have taken 1 and 2 over all. Great job guys, I can't wait to see a feature!:thumbsup:

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Really, really liked this. I thought that the pacing was good and the lead actor did a fantastic job. Having said that I will say that I liked LMTF more over all and I think it was because of the shooting, I'm a sucker for the old style too. Also the corpse in this one bothered me a bit, well not all of it just the eyes. Depending on the environment that the corpse would be subjected to (heat, moisture, etc..) the skins leathery texture with the eyes remaining is very, very unlikely. (I worked at a morgue for two years) Yes I know that the body looks great on film but with most decomps after the fluids have seeped out of the body the eyes, which are mostly fluid, would have rotted out long before the skin reached this state. Having said all of that I will say that if this film and LMTF were in the running for the fest they should have taken 1 and 2 over all. Great job guys, I can't wait to see a feature!:thumbsup:

Dude. You should have never told me you worked in morgue for two years. 100% chance of getting stupid questions from me in the future via PM.

Re the eyes ... maybe it looks like ther was more there than there was? My tech advisor said that if insects didn't get the eyes they would be dry and have a surface like wax paper with no pigmentation. But it was a tele-colaboration and he never saw what we actually did Part of the corpse was purchased and then retooled by us. The corpse head was intended to be a mask and had hole for the eyes. Eye made eyes for it out of beef jerky wrapped in thin latex.

Not accurate?

Oh well if we missed the boat a bit on that. Few will know. I'm sure you see technical flaws like that all the time with your past experience.

Also for the few shots that you see of that, two are lock down, it would be piece of cake to composite dry holes in there. I am definitely planning on retexturing the corpses skin for the non heavily filtered closeups.

HDkilledFILM.
11-12-2007, 09:09 PM
100% could be accurate however the likelyhood of that amount of material being left IMO would be slim... When we used to get people even a week old in they would have already begun to bloat, turn green, swell and excrete fluid. I know sick, but I love horror movies and the chance to work third shift as a security guard at the morgue was awsome for me (It really helped my effects). I made friends with the now past coroner and he let me watch autopsys etc... Email me if you interested to know more I just don't want to get into that strange grey area here... Having said that it seems that your character was not the preserving type, more the in denial type which would warrent a faster decay and a less orderly breakdown. It's strange but when a corpse begins to go it's much faster than one would think and having a body sit in a heated room allows the natural bacteria a place to not only live but florish. Any who if you ever want to talk bodies let me know and if you ever want and are around the philly area I could arrange a visit for you to my old morgue.-rock-Adam

StefanHaynes
11-13-2007, 10:51 AM
I found it quite enjoyable!

Great work guys. :thumbup:

Duff
11-13-2007, 03:03 PM
I would love to see some discussion on the lighting setups used in this film.

macgregor
11-13-2007, 03:26 PM
I would love to see some discussion on the lighting setups used in this film.

I think Barry Green is preparing something about that.

Isaac_Brody
11-13-2007, 03:58 PM
This is great work Jack. Really solid and gripping. What's nice about this film is there's the right amount of looseness. It doesn't feel overdirected or stagey. I thought LMTF felt over directed whereas this one had air to breathe and the performances are better. Nice work.

HDkilledFILM.
11-13-2007, 04:16 PM
I love that line in LMTF about her Apricot womb, that #%$^ is classic.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Great job on this guys! Really enjoyable.

David, you mentioned "the sound of the gun". I take it you guys used blanks. How did you manage that situation? (Demolitions guy or just plain being careful?)
I'm very interested in blanks rather than post effects since i like an authentic recoil, muzzle flash, casing ejection, etc. Please do tell.

The muzzle flash is, however, post. Even when you work with real guns / blanks, it's likely that you will get muzzle flair every third time or so if a guy is unloading a clip or something. If he's firing one shot and you do a couple of takes at the right shutter speed you might catch one.

But even then they do not look as cool as they do in movies. So yeah we had smoke and a shell eject but basically no flair in camera.

But you can get really good results doing the whole thing in post - you just almost never see it done well. What helps sell this one is of course the practical elements like the smoke and the shell, but then the fake flair has the depth of field graded to match the shot, so it is more in focus by the gun and less in focus closer to camera, and also it was laid on the uncorrected shot in another sequence then that sequence was imported as a clip into the main FCP timeline and then the color grading was layed on top of the flair and the shot as if it had been photographed that way.

This is great work Jack. Really solid and gripping. What's nice about this film is there's the right amount of looseness. It doesn't feel overdirected or stagey. I thought LMTF felt over directed whereas this one had air to breathe and the performances are better. Nice work.

Thanks Isaac. I definitely wanted a formal controlled style for LMTF, almost all locked down, like an old serial in one way, and this one was more about culling through what I had to work with to find the story.

We did try to use sticks or dolly in this one to aid in the unreliableness of our narrator. Meaning parts that we were suggesting as imagined were handheld and all over the place. Parts we were suggesting as real and potential sources of order were smooth or locked down. Of course we were lying and the opposite was true. So the handheld all over the place shots are real and the still or controlled shots are false. So at the end we go from his Martin Sheen Apocalypse now breakdown scene with all the handheld stuff - which is during his only lucid period, back to lockdown at the end when she appears to come back to life / he "unawakes" ... so now that he is back into madness the camera calms down. Madness = calm camera. Sanity = crazy camera.

I love that line in LMTF about her Apricot womb, that #%$^ is classic.
Heheh thanks for mentioning it. Obv. if you write a line like that ostentatious you hope someone will.

mentatDUKE
11-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the info Jack. I take it you brightened up part of his face and hand, allowing us to belive the muzzle flash illuminated him?

Cool stuff. Can't wait to try it.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-13-2007, 06:47 PM
yeah absolutely. there is a mask over his face that brightens with the flare.
So that
+ practical
+ fake SDOF
+ laying it in and doing correctional CC to match
+ doing the final grading over the flattened layer are all in the mix.

I forgot to mention that normally I would never do blank firearms without a safety weapons guy on set. My feeling has always been for an indie shoot its just not worth the risk of using something live without dedicated safety professionals, plus the added high profile of the bang etc.

But when it was explained to us that this gun had a led filled barrel (another reason for limited flash, it flashes to the side) and could not even fire wadding we agreed to take a look at a demo of it and it was completely safe. Just very very loud :)

StefanHaynes
11-13-2007, 08:56 PM
This may have already been addressed, but, I found his voice work slightly, er, amusing (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1301442/)? Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course, just slightly... interesting.

Anyway, I really did like this film. IMHO, it's your absolute best yet: from the acting, to the dialog, to the plot. I thought it was a little needlessly convoluted in a couple of places, but overall, it stayed fairly even thoughout. The ending wasn't a one-trick-pony like (imo) some of your other films have been, and was instead a logical, intelligent way to wrap it up. I'd say for a piece so grounded in realism, the thought of him having lived with his dead wife for so long was a bit hard to swallow (yes, I understand the reasoning), especially considering he still (assumedly) lived an otherwise "normal life." Murder is far from something simple to get away with.

But these are minutia; not vital points. The film is itself is quite excellent, and I really did enjoy it quite a bit. I actually watched it a second time, which is fairly rare for me: you filled it with enough interesting and memorable scenes to warrant at least a second viewing.

Good work.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-13-2007, 09:17 PM
This may have already been addressed, but, I found his voice work slightly, er, amusing (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1301442/)? Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course, just slightly... interesting.

heh heh

Took me a second to realize you were talking about his voice over work and dubbing foreign films and not the way he spoke in this film.

We should all be so lucky. VO work is very hard to get into and pays well for a short time commitment. Those are some pretty big titles too ... going by the measure that I don't follow Japanime much and I actually recognize them.

It's not surprising - he was doing impressions on set all the time, but I didn't know his credits were so long and varied though.

Michele Seidman
11-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Sorry I have been out of the loop. Darn medical tests suck big time...and not my blood...just my strength dag nab it. I am back though....wooo hooo

Totally emerged in this film and performances from Shaun, Michelle and Julie that are just made. All of the elements of Film come together in this one; story, cinematography, acting, score, sound design, edit ....

Loved it. Very stoked on this Jack.

JR....

I have had the good fortune of watching Shaun since he first got to town and dang...he has grown incredibly as an actor. He was so strong in this all the way through. Now I get why Jack wanted the shrink so low key and bland.

And the blood dripping from his mouth gets me now as much as when he did it on set!

Not much time in pre-prod. We spent all our pre-prod time on LMTF. The idea with this one was to do run and gun and have that serve the style.

I love the run and gun and think it does look like a cool tv show!

Props to Mcgregor to the Tremendous cinematographer. The edit was great. The story was nice too. How on earth did you do the shot of the girl doing her hair in front of the mirror, with the lead in the background?

10/10!

Mac can do no wrong with that camera...almost scary on it's own!!

very cool! jack, you do realize that now you must do "the cask of amontillado" because that would rock. :)

Uga...you need actors too, right? tee hee....i'm a ho, ya know i'm a ho...how do ya know cause i told ya so....(beasty boys)

Especially that eyeball shot, Jack's compositing wizardry is just awesome.

Barry

That eye ball thing....omg that was so well done. It really freaked me and made my eyes itch for the actor. I was so glad to find out it was put back in during post.

Isaac....lol

I have no clue if I should be excited or upset since I worked on both projects. I am curious if it only seemed over directed because it was supposed to have a whole different feel to begin with. I was lucky enough to read both scripts and they read very different too. LMTF was dark & odd...and this one was freaky & plausible. I do love Shaun's work in this project. It is some of his best and he carries it off perfectly.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Second comments...

I really enjoyed this piece. The eye shot was EXTREMELY well done. Haunting actually. I also loved the dolly work in the office, very smooth. Nice transition shot from that point as well.

There is a line running down vertically on the left hand side of the screen during the bathroom mirror scene. Is there some compositing going on or just an odd look to the wall?

I really liked the overall look and feel to this one, great pacing adds to the mood. My compliments to all involved!

Mike

David Jimerson
11-14-2007, 04:53 PM
I think that's just the bevel of the mirror.

MojoTrancer
11-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Not much I can add to all the kudos here. I'll just say that I loved it and you boys rock the face as always. I'm always chasing your lead, reaching for the standards you set and trying to get as good as you fellows are. :)

Neil Rowe
11-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Hey just fantastic work here guys. This was honestly some of the best (if not the best) filmwork i have seen from this site ever. I would agree that I liked this one more than LMTF as LMTF felt a little ridgid in comparision. The charachters and storyline are just more real and beleivable in this film to the extent that you can develop and emotional connection to them. Although I would say that both films fall under the realm of a somewhat altered reality as far as the relatable basing. Its easy to relate ..or at least to understand the protagonist in this one in the actual past, but not as easy as he is in his later portrayed state of dimentia. Mac, props to you as always, your work is always inspiring and a good study. I like to review films like this (and any good film i watch) and study lighting and framing, editing ect. Speaking of editing, props to you Jack on the write, edit and direction. The film was gripping and an overall succesful solid short. Barry, David, John ..what do I need to say ..love for you guys as always. this was a really unexpected treat and Thanks for sharing it with all of us. Theres no doubt in my mind that you guys are on your way to your goals.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-20-2007, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the coments Mojo, and the comments/critique Neil :thumbsup:

Second comments...

I really enjoyed this piece. The eye shot was EXTREMELY well done. Haunting actually. I also loved the dolly work in the office, very smooth. Nice transition shot from that point as well.

We made up some rules about when the camera was handheld and when it was either lockdown or smooth. The Shrink's office is a kind of hybrid place - supposedly safe and real when we see it the first time, but there's a lot of mental activity there and piecing things together, so while I did not want the camera to be as wild and crazy as the flashbacks of the burial, or snapping out if it on the highway for example - for the reasons of safety and reality that I just mentioned - I did want there to be some movement in the camera to kind of mirror his active and searching mental state and subconcious - the camera keeps moving from one side to the other and then literally moves into his thoughts with the transition - or such was the thinking in putting it together in the three stages of production.

There is a line running down vertically on the left hand side of the screen during the bathroom mirror scene. Is there some compositing going on or just an odd look to the wall?

I really liked the overall look and feel to this one, great pacing adds to the mood. My compliments to all involved!

Mike

Thanks for commenting again :beer: ... can you give me the time counter reading where the line is? There is a bevel in the vanity mirror scene where she is coming her hair, and there is a a line where the mirror meets the wall in the the night time pill flushing scene but I want to make sure I am seeing what you are seeing ... if you have a second to look for it that is. Thanks again.

Luis Caffesse
11-20-2007, 06:25 AM
I showed this one to my wife last night....
when the 'eyeball shot' came up she screamed "OH MY GOD! Did they really do that??"
:)

You've definitely got some moments in this one that can elicit a genuine reaction.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-27-2007, 05:32 AM
Thanks for commenting again :beer: ... can you give me the time counter reading where the line is? There is a bevel in the vanity mirror scene where she is coming her hair, and there is a a line where the mirror meets the wall in the the night time pill flushing scene but I want to make sure I am seeing what you are seeing ... if you have a second to look for it that is. Thanks again.I'll have to check the time. It was the shot of her brushing her hair, telling him that she didn't like him taking pills because it makes him seem distant.

It's a straight vertical line on the left hand side. Probably just the edge of the mirror. :thumbup:

Nice reflection shot in the TV btw...

Cheers,

Mike

Jack Daniel Stanley
12-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Let me know what you think of this:
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/7195/1198000288.mov
it's secondish clip that shows the corpse in daylight before and after some tweaking

We've only heard 2 negative comments on the corpse as it is, both outside of this thread, but I think people are just being nice ... :)

macgregor
12-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Es La Polla!!!!!

Barry_Green
12-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Es La Polla!!!!!
It's the chicken? :D

Yo no habla espanol, or at least muy mal, but Jack: muy bueno!

Jack Daniel Stanley
12-18-2007, 10:50 AM
heh heh ... hmm .. "Es La Polla" roughly translates to "It's the bomb", but is not appropriate for all audiences. Hint: Most Spanish slang seems to involve a source of pride particular to the Spanish male. :)

David Jimerson
12-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Looks great, Jack! Much more convincing.

reem12
01-02-2008, 03:58 PM
can someone please share with me the young lady who played the wife in this movie.i've been looking to sast someone of her make up for a future short.thanks.

David Jimerson
01-02-2008, 09:31 PM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2689525/

Ted Arabian
01-24-2008, 06:48 AM
Wow! Jack... that was incredible. The cinematography was just breath-taking. Kudos to MacGregor. Kudos to the entire production staff.

I am speechless at talent represented here.

Michele Seidman
11-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Moderator: I hope I post this in the right spot but if not please let me know where to post it or feel free to move it to the right spot but please let me know where that is if you do! :)

I am so proud of the Dream Team. You all have had the chance to see the work from Jack Daniel Stanley and the team at Wrightsville Beach Studios (Barry, David, etc etc).

You may remember a little film called 'A Little Mouth to Feed' and another one called 'Unawakening' that they made for last years DVX Hallows Fest...

But did you know that 'Unawakening', staring Shaun O'Rourke made it in to the 14th Cucalorus Film Festival? Well it did, and I am so proud of those guys I wanted to share! I am going to post a little about the festival below but try to make sure I take out links or anything that should not be here but I just wanted to brag on the guys because I don't see it mentioned anywhere here and I figured all of you would be proud of them too!

About Cucalorus:

Cucalorus Film Festival in Wilmington North Carolina actually starts today (Thursday Nov 13th 2008). 'Unawakening' is screening Friday Night, November 14th in the 10:pm time block.

A little info on it for those who have never been!

Cucalorus is one of the top small film festivals in the country and I dare say in the world. Why do I say it like that? Not only did Time Magazine make note of how cool this event was but people come from around the world to attend and to screen their films.

Now, if you are new to real time film festivals in general, you cannot use this event to gauge against others. Most of these things give out prizes and create a high pressure situation for the filmmakers but not Cucalorus. No prizes and no pressure!

What does happen is a networking frenzy of fun and fabulous films being screened. Some movies are full length feature and others are short films or documentaries. Many of the filmmakers do come to this festival because of it's very nature. The Cucalorus Film Festival was started by Twinkle Doon years ago as a way to showcase films and enjoy them together and it not only still lingers but the spirit has grown ten fold. When I say this is huge...I mean it is huge. Multiple venues and thousands upon thousands of people. This is year 14 for the event and it still has some of the same people volunteering and keeping it going. Those who helped start it but had to move often plan to be here just for this weekend.

I have seen some great projects here on DVX User and maybe this makes you aware of a festival you can submit your project to after you have been part of a DVX Fest!!

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-14-2008, 09:11 AM
haha thanks Michele

Michele Seidman
11-17-2008, 04:40 PM
haha thanks Michele

Had to do it...was proud of you all.