PDA

View Full Version : The Sony Hdr-A1U worth starting with?

Watermoore
11-07-2007, 05:47 PM
I am trying to get a better 16:9 cam, possibly HD, and absolutley have to have audio in. The primary use of this camera would be to make really low budget (sometimes no budget) indy films. Its a community/ student immersion and involvement thing I do, so I do it for the experience not nessicarily to make money. Right now, I shoot on a Panasonic Ag-DVC80 its pretty similar to the DVX100a but no 24p and no squeeze mode so not much options for 16:9 other then the crappy letterbox crop thing which you all know lets me loose a third of verticle resolution. Its does have the same form factor as the DVX100 so it does have 2 XLR ins etc... anyways I want to go HDV for many reasons 1 being that most, if not all models are native 16X9, but I don't want to drop 3500.00 USD for the XH-A1 which would be my top choice. I would love the camera eventually but anyways, what seems like the best place to start is the Sony A1U. I want this exclusivley for making movies so I plan on lighting just about everything we shoot. That would work around the low light performance that I am reading is this cameras biggest weakness. I do realize that all the manual exposure controls are on a touch screen which is kind of lame but you cant win them all. Bottom line, do you guys think this would be a good starting point for a cheap HDV camera that could be utilized for making indy films? Thanks a million.

HBlack
11-07-2007, 06:10 PM
General consensus seems to be that of all HD cameras in that price bracket, the main competitors are the XH-A1, the HVX, and the HV20 if you want to go a step down. Look into those three.

Watermoore
11-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Because of my financial limitations I know a guy (in real life) who is selling his sony A1U for under 2000.00 so i would be able to pick it up for between 1500-2000 which makes it appealing so based on that fact I think it might be a great choice.

jdmoviemaker
11-07-2007, 07:20 PM
the sony fx1 makes a great camera for your price range , are you looking for good clear video or a cinema look? :undecided

ecking
11-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Even with the guy's used a1 I'd still get an hv20, and you'd probably have enough left over for a letus economy.

Watermoore
11-07-2007, 09:02 PM
the sony fx1 makes a great camera for your price range , are you looking for good clear video or a cinema look? :undecided

Probably good clear video, since I can always push the cinema look in post with magic bullet.

a lot of people seem to be anti the A1U, is it really that bad? I have seen some footage in the daylight and it seems pretty good, I have seen some low light (alot of color artifacting) not as much contrast as the XhA1 but still clean especially since about 90% of my final outputting will still be in Sd on regular DVD