PDA

View Full Version : Grain and not Grain

cocoa_magazin
11-06-2007, 10:58 PM
http://www.cocoa.de/news2/2007/10/30/film.wmv

This is a Test with Grain and not Grain (Grain was made with Adobe CS3)

seunosewa
11-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Why would you want to degrade your own video by adding grain?

I spend a lot of time trying to remove or reduce grain. Many people complain about the grain in low light videos, but here you are adding grain to a video?

Grain makes a video much harder to compress, you know, because encoders can't really distinguish between noise bits and actual video information.

BlueWorld
11-07-2007, 04:06 PM
There's a huge difference between a nice pleasing grain and low light noise, and there's no shortage of people who like a well done grain, including me.

For me, your grain size is a little too big, and little too intense. But it's all very subjective. If you like it and you think it adds to what you're trying to convey, then that's all that matters.

pathfinder
11-08-2007, 04:54 PM
I actually like the grain you got there. The color, texture, DOF, and the grain just makes the scene looks so much like film. I think it works for it's own purposes.

Did you also do the color manipulation in Premiere? Would you mind sharing how you color it? I like the color texture a lot.

Good job!

Drew Ott
11-08-2007, 06:37 PM
I actually don't care for the grain so much. Some of the shots it's just bothersome. When there is grain in the bright spots, it doesn't look very realistic. There are times when the grain in the sky just distracts and it doesn't look good.

Your footage looks nice though.

cocoa_magazin
11-08-2007, 10:56 PM
I actually like the grain you got there. The color, texture, DOF, and the grain just makes the scene looks so much like film. I think it works for it's own purposes.

Did you also do the color manipulation in Premiere? Would you mind sharing how you color it? I like the color texture a lot.

Good job!

It was only a change of RGB values (littlebit more Red). And some more Contrast.

Lawsuit_Boy
11-10-2007, 12:11 PM
There's a huge difference between a nice pleasing grain and low light noise, and there's no shortage of people who like a well done grain, including me.

For me, your grain size is a little too big, and little too intense. But it's all very subjective. If you like it and you think it adds to what you're trying to convey, then that's all that matters.

I'm with blue world here. Smooth, tiny grain that actually helps mesh the items in the image together like the way film works is always welcome in my book. Yours in some of the CU shots of his hands doing things, and a few wider ones, the grain was very obvious, large as stated before, and very "video-like." It honestly looked like a bad shoot on some shots.

I'd try toning it down quite a bit and see if it doesn't work out a little nicer. Remember, use the grain to blend items in the shot around the edges and give the video that softer-but-highly-detailed look of film! :thumbsup:

J.R. Hudson
11-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Why would you want to degrade your own video by adding grain?

I spend a lot of time trying to remove or reduce grain. Many people complain about the grain in low light videos, but here you are adding grain to a video?

Grain makes a video much harder to compress, you know, because encoders can't really distinguish between noise bits and actual video information.

Why would you degrade your footy using any technique in post ?

It is a stylistic choice.

I like grain and most feedback I get when shooting.