PDA

View Full Version : Overall Impression - Stories?

Chris Messineo
11-06-2007, 02:20 PM
I finished watching all of the films today and I just cast my vote.

I have watched all of the films in all of the previous Festivals and honestly, I was a little disappointed with this one.

Technically, I was really impressed with everyone's talents. There are a lot of filmmakers out there with some amazing skills.

However, I thought the stories could have been a little stronger. The thread that Jack started (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=107674) was excellent and I was hoping the stories would show the same improvement as the technical side.

Still, there were definitely a few stories that stood out and it was a blast to watch all of the films.

Kevin Lee
11-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Chris I agree, I was disappointed a bit. But still a lot of fun to watch some of em. I pictured Hallows fest as scary, undead, ghost style. However there was a lot of the canibalism thing going on in this one. Nothing wrong with gore thru munching on human flesh and all, I just expected something different.

Makes me wish I would have jumped in and made one. There is always next time....

Mickey Munday
11-06-2007, 05:31 PM
yea i agree with you both.

traviscool
11-06-2007, 05:43 PM
I really don't have anything to go on, this was my first Fest here so I don't have anything to go on. However what I was expecting was a bit more like Kdawg said, more supper-natural, it was a great time nonetheless and there are defiantly many talented film makers here and I was very glad to be here for it and I hope to be here for many more.
Admittedly I agree with the above posts, but it was still fun, yet grotesque.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-07-2007, 08:26 AM
I have said this before... I think there is less cream in this crop, but the cream is still creamy. Savvy? :)

My question is... the Theme was "DARKNESS".
Did you feel that most of the entries met that theme? Or does having people getting murdered automatically comply?
I really liked those who went into the darkness of the mind or soul. They were pretty good.

Just curious...

Mike

John LaBonney
11-07-2007, 08:46 AM
My question is... the Theme was "DARKNESS".
Did you feel that most of the entries met that theme?

Mike,

I read your original script and thought it perfectly fit the darkness theme, but I can't say the same about mine. I think I missed the mark there, and even didn't get towards a Halloween theme. In the end I think I ended up with a sorta quasi Twilight Zone bit.

Brandon Rice
11-07-2007, 08:49 AM
I agree Mike... a lot of the entries strayed from the theme quite a bit.

John LaBonney
11-07-2007, 08:52 AM
This really wasn't my theme this fest, I hope I'll do better next go-around. I like presenting things in a funny way, and this fest really wasn't the medium for that.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Mike,

I read your original script and thought it perfectly fit the darkness theme, but I can't say the same about mine. I think I missed the mark there, and even didn't get towards a Halloween theme. In the end I think I ended up with a sorta quasi Twilight Zone bit.I actually thought that yours ended in quite a dark manner. The evilness of the nine-ball could have been pushed a tad more but overall it ended well.

Glad to see you back around.

Mike

djsmackmackey
11-07-2007, 01:09 PM
I really liked a couple of the entries, but I can't vote because I don't have enough posts yet. However, I felt like there were a lot of entries that used plastic sheeting. Was this a case of people copying something they had seen, or just a coincidence? I mean, was there a book or something that suggested using plastic sheets to quickly create a set? I even saw this in a movie the other day, so it's not restricted to the contest even.
There also seemed to be a lot of man on woman violence. Not meaning to bash, just meaning to point out my observation.

cinealma
11-07-2007, 01:12 PM
I really liked a couple of the entries, but I can't vote because I don't have enough posts yet. However, I felt like there were a lot of entries that used plastic sheeting. Was this a case of people copying something they had seen, or just a coincidence? I mean, was there a book or something that suggested using plastic sheets to quickly create a set? I even saw this in a movie the other day, so it's not restricted to the contest even.
There also seemed to be a lot of man on woman violence. Not meaning to bash, just meaning to point out my observation.

You don't want to get blood and guts all over the nicely painted walls... IN THE BASEMENT! :cheesy:

Luis Caffesse
11-07-2007, 01:28 PM
You don't want to get blood and guts all over the nicely painted walls... IN THE BASEMENT! :cheesy:

Plus you can still pump in some nice diffused light.
:thumbsup:

djsmackmackey
11-07-2007, 03:35 PM
No no, I get the pros of using it, I just thought it strange that it kept showing up. Similar themes and styles I guess is what I'm sayin'.

Justin Kuhn
11-07-2007, 03:56 PM
All the plastic, people tied to chairs, cannibalism...