PDA

View Full Version : My "reviews"

navitas
11-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Ok. So I watched them all and voted about three days ago :) , but I had no time to write something. Now when I have time, the topics are so BIG that it'd take me a week to join every discussion ;) That's why I watched them again and wrote down my "reviews". I realize they might have some mistakes but that's the longest text i wrote in English in a long time ;)

Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MEAT
Awesome! (in non horrifying sense ;) ) The first film I’ve seen in the fest and it set a high standard technically. Story was told nicely although I’d prefer more amusing ending but this one was great as well.

Technically good but the ending was a little bit predictable. I wanted a little twist but maybe that’s just me ;) Well done short but not an exiting one.

UNTIL DEATH
I must honestly say… Not great unfortunately… This ghost and kinda depressing story wasn’t my thing really… But… Great job! Usually when you see one person movie it’s noticeable. But here! Shooting and playing isn’t easy and doing it unnoticeably is a hard work…

PATHOMANIA
I cannot review this. It’s so not me that I could hurt some feeling without realizing… I see a great deal of work but this music and pulsing image is too much for me…

DARKNESS OF HELL
:) A funny one! The story wasn’t bad but acting kinda ruined it… Also I don’t know if it was a 35 mm adapter or some other device but from my experience I recommend learning without it – it’s hard to light, to focus etc. It made me remember my first horror, zombie movies  The starting point of your filmmakers journey! Keep up the good work!

CABIN
I like the colors! Very good from the artistic point of view. The story was a little small comparing to the image… plus I didn’t like the girl wearing underwear… She was unrealistic for me… But nice FX, and camera work, and overall a good short!

I LOVE YOU, I'M SORRY
I love you man, but I’m sorry… :) The story was good but it was too hard for the actors… I think. They made it unreal for me. Plus you have to think about the colors. They looked to flat for me… Anyway the pace was nice and the finish strong but something was missing… I’m waiting for another short. Nice poster too…

THE MERIDIAN HARD DRIVE
Sorry but the quality was too poor for me to honestly judge…

SHALLOWEEN
Funny, funny, funny. :) What should I say… Technically not great but of course “watchable”. Nicely acted but I expected more from the ending…

BED TIME
Great idea! Nicely done! A completed form! I have nothing more to add and nothing to subtract. I have a little (5 years old) sister. I have to try this on her :)

BREAKING VAL
The scene I always wanted to shoot! Nicely done. Scary as hell in some parts! Compression ruined it a little… I like that the girl wins! ;)

FISSURE OF NAIVETE
Hard to follow… I feel lost… The nice thing is that you tried and made something. Work on the story (I have to too ;) )

LOVLIEST OF ALL
Maybe I had bigger expectations but it was a little disappointment… Of course it was well done! Great attention to details! Acted good!

IN PIECES
Incredible! Scared the crap out of me! Great use of color. I think I’d go with the red blood but maybe it’d be too obvious…

PHALANGES
Started funny. Acting not so good… But then suddenly it ended bloody. Definitely a shocker with this horrifying granny but somehow it was a little bit to strange for me… Technically nice.

SOMATIC DEATH
Whoa! I’m afraid of everything that’s little: little girl ghost’s, murderous dolls etc. Visually great but lacks the story… Great climate! Overall a superb start to psychic short…

TAKE OUT
Personally too bloody for me but… As a film it’s done great: acting, camera, sound, it all fits! That’s a hard thing to do so… well done and I’m waiting for more!

ONE WAY OUT
Good idea! Nice FX, the murder was not fitting the story for me but maybe that was the twist! Nice work in props but suicide didn’t look to realistic… Overall a nice short!

FIFTH COMMANDMENT
Too strange for me… Sorry… It was bloody and make-up wasn’t great… But you kept me interested through the whole thing so thumbs up here!

WELCOME TO THE PARTY
Expected a bigger twist at the end… That’s all I have to say ;) Everything else was done great so I just watched and enjoyed. Great job!!!

JACK AND JILL
Horrifying! Really! Man... Well done but I won’t say more… I don’t want to see that second time ;)

JOEL 3:15 **SPOILER**
I like this type of movies! I’m in love in everything catastrophic so this one was a great pause from everything bloody :) I’d add some more news – maybe tv to create a little bigger “space”. Anyway it is one of my favorites! Of course great job on lightning camera and everything technical… Ah! And in my version they live ;) I love happy endings ;)

BUZZ'S LAST HALLOWEEN
Funny, strange and well done! Despite some mistakes I had fun watching it.

CHATEAU ORLOCK
Strange and a little bit hard to follow. I’d definitely add some dialogue or written text some places just to feel the story… But overall had climate! Good job!

THE UNASSUMED
Nice photography! And good story although told in some strange way! I’d work on the climate… Overall a really nice short!

THE ART OF SUICIDE
Despite voice over (some sound problems) I really liked it! It was funny and horrible the same way ;) I like this kind of stories and yours was nicely done so GOOD job!

IN EXTREMIS
Visually good (FX), sound… not good… Acting wasn’t good also but you told the story well. Hope to see more…

THE FARMER
Nice job! I work with kids on daily basis so I know it takes hard work to direct them. Great job there! I’d work on the visual side – framing, cc etc. Hope to see some more films…

THE DARKEST
Nice job mikko! It was funny as job made “on the spur of the moment” should be :) Good steadicam work also…

HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER
GREAT! It was really nice! I love this kind of humor so I had a lot of fun watching it! About technical side: it was ok. It was not disturbing and that’s great! REALLY hoping for more! :)

JUST YOUR IMAGINATION
Lost in the story … Sorry but I cannot judge this one...

IN THE NIGHT
Lost again… Although cinematography was very good!

NEXT PHOTO
Funny story, nicely played and nicely told. No fireworks but I watched it with enthusiasm. Nice job!

KILLER INSTINCT
Really nice shots! (the real ones!) Nice that you’ve finished it! As they say: It doesn’t matter how you start but how you finish  or something like that… Hope to see you finish it with real shots cause you’ve got something there! Good job!

NET FRIEND
Nice story! Well told and played! I’d work on sound FX but photography was very good for me! Hope to see more… Good job!

JILL
Ok. So… The beginning was good and the ending was good… But… They didn’t fit together for me. Anyway photography wasn’t bad but I’d definitely work on sound in this one… Overall not bad!

CHARLIE BLACK
Nice CC but ruined by compression. I didn’t get the story but felt the climate and that’s something! Keep it up!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. So I hope nobody feels offended by my "reviews". Especially by that part about being lost in the story - my story was extremely complicated and I have to work on that too...

Anyway many of you scared the crap out of me so thank you very much. I usually don't watch horror movies because of that :)

Hope to see more on the next fest

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-04-2007, 11:21 AM
JOEL 3:15
I like this type of movies! I’m in love in everything catastrophic so this one was a great pause from everything bloody :) I’d add some more news – maybe tv to create a little bigger “space”. Anyway it is one of my favorites! Of course great job on lightning camera and everything technical…

*Removed major spoiler.

Thanks for taking the time!

Cheers,

Mike

navitas
11-04-2007, 12:17 PM
*Removed major spoiler.

Oh... Sorry... I added a warning.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Oh... Sorry... I added a warning.
Don't worry about it! No big deal... :thumbsup: