PDA

View Full Version : All Films Reviewed here! PART 2

BergVision
11-02-2007, 04:13 AM
My film reviews continued................

15. TAKE OUT

A crazy obsessive compulsive killer. Just what the Doctor ordered.

The story was simple. A crazy guy orders take out to get his next victim.
Not that far fetched from reality sadly enough.
The acting was good, editing and shooting was good. The story was basic, but interesting.

The "Pizza Guy" didn't really look like a pizza guy, and could have used a hat and jacket with a logo. And the lighting upon his entry was too dark to really see him. He was a bit too "good looking and macho" for what most people think of a pizza guy. Maybe glasses, hat and jacket.

The sound effects could have used some SPICING UP. A bigger THUD when hit in the head. And the "Oh I'm sorry, did that hurt" close up didn't look the same ton and color as the rest of the film.
The audio was blown out a lot of the time and I had to keep turning the volume up and down through out the movie.

I just couldn't believe the pizza guy's part the way he was playing it.
And at times the crazy guy seemed too sane to be that crazy.
I think you could have developed the characters more in the beginning and not jumped into the beating so fast. Maybe a little more interaction between the pizza guy and the crazy guy. Like "Hey wanna stay and have some pizza? My dad loved Pizza." "No I got another delivery...." WHACK" Something along those lines.
Over all it was an interesting film. Crazy guy kills pizza guy and eats him. :evil:
I would work on the audio levels and lighting, and directing of actors.

A Good dark film. Now that's TAKE OUT!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16. Somatic Death

Somatic Death "adjective : affecting or characteristic of the body as opposed to the mind or spirit"

Although the title of this film is called Somatic Death. It seems this film actually tells a story of a mental and spiritual death.

I liked the stylized look and feel of the film. And the shots and editing were done nice. But I wasn't sure exactly if the character got out of jail or a mental institution. And I wasn't sure what the story was actually telling.
It didn't seem to have a ending or point.
Other then the story issues, it was done well and had a nice look to it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17. ONE WAY OUT

OH Yes, the Magic 9 ball! If only we all had one.

Alone in a hotel room with a hot blond and all he was playing with was his 9 ball! LOL

I really liked the story idea and it drew me in with all the possibilities.
However, I think the story didn't actually develop as smooth as it could have.
I had a hard time getting into the story due to a few things.

He found the ball on the door step and didn't know where it came from, yet picked it up and put it in his suitcase. He didn't seem too surprised that it could answer all his questions and yet he was a smart business man.
Why was the wine poison? Only she had some?

I really liked the idea, and love these sort of films. But I think the acting could have been a little bit more on then it was and a few questions answered.

I would be surprised as heck if a ball could do that. Maybe tried to show the girl what the 9 ball could do but when she asked a question it didn't answer it right. She didn't believe him. The 9 ball could have said "give her wine" he could have been thinking "Get her waisted and sleep with her" and then she dies from drinking poison wine. THE BALL could have set him up and he killed himself. Something like that. But those are just my ideas.

But all and all it was good.

Can't wait to see more from you!

18. Fifth Commandment

The Fifth commandment "Honor your father and mother"

I'm not sure how that title fits this film as I didn't really follow the story line.
It was very confusing and hard to follow what was really going on.
The audio was hard to hear or tell what was being said for clues.

You seemed to have a feel for the "look" you were going for but I would work on telling the story clearer. I am not sure if he was killed, killed himself or was dreaming?? And I don't know how the 5Th commandment fits into this film.

Work on telling your story in a more concise and uniform way and work on framing, and I think your films are going to be really good!

19.Buzz's Last Halloween

From the first scene you had me drawn in wanting to see more.
I was looking forward to really laughing with this film. The story and idea was funny and I had to laugh at the lady shutting the door in the old guys face calling him a Sick'O.

My attention was kept through out the film and I kept waiting for the big pay off. However, the ending really fell short. It could have been the way the "death scene" was shot and or edited. But it really didn't have the "PUNCH" it could have. It was funny, but I felt the ending needed to be more dynamic for the build up you gave. Good effort and funny.

Can't wait to see more from you!

20. JACK AND JILL

A twisted story indeed.

I wouldn't have really understood what this film was about unless I had read the summary of it. It could have used a little setup in the start. Maybe showing them typing to each other with ON SCREEN SHOTS of their chat conversation.
Some hint they were on-line with each other. And what each of them wanted with the other. It just looked like two people typing on computers. But there was nothing really to indicate they were chatting or what they were chatting about. It could have been complimented with a good sound score as well.

The story idea of a murderer and a girl wanting to commit suicide meeting on-line has possibilities. But I don't think that concept or story was realized in this film.

Although many of use are editors, cinematographers, audio techs etc. We all, including myself, have to be reminded we are STORY TELLERS FIRST.
The true art and challenge is in telling our story to others in a way they understand and can relate to it. Think about what images and words will do this the fastest and most complete way.

I can't get over how much that girl looks like my ex-girlfriend!!!!!

Good idea, and good acting! Keep doing what you love!

21. Chateau Orlock (http://www.dvxfest.com/allhallowsfest/loader.php?id=22528)

This is an interesting film.

I can see the style and feel of film you were going for. But not sure you provided the audience with enough information to go on for a silent type film.

I'm not really sure what the story is about other then what the summery said.
It seemed very slow especially for the first 2 minutes. But never really picked up and informed us as to what was really going on. I kept waiting for some clue as to what the story was about but it never came.
And the ending just confused me more. A vampire that liked wine?

I can appreciate the style of film and I really liked how you kept the color in the wine but the rest of the film was black and white. A nice touch.
But I would work on telling the story a little better. If you could tighten up the story telling part I think your films have the quality to be very good!

22. JOEL 3:15

A film based on the Bible verse Joel 3:15.

This verse alone is horror enough to think about. How would we deal with it?

This film was done very well technically and the acting was also very good.
The cinematography was good and It was nice to see clean dolly shots.
The editing was tight and really set the pass for the film.

I think I would have used a digital clock that showed AM or PM to clearly get the point across of the time. The wrist watch was a little hard to see.

I really enjoyed this film and it was refreshing to see a "horror" type film able to be done from the Bible in a clean way. :engel017: Except for the bullet hole in the wife's head of course. lol hehe

Keep up the good work! <><

Film reviews continued to "ALL FILMS REVIEWED HERE! PART 3.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-02-2007, 06:09 AM
22. JOEL 3:15

A film based on the Bible verse Joel 3:15.

This verse alone is horror enough to think about. How would we deal with it?

This film was done very well technically and the acting was also very good.
The cinematography was good and It was nice to see clean dolly shots.
The editing was tight and really set the pass for the film.

I think I would have used a digital clock that showed AM or PM to clearly get the point across of the time. The wrist watch was a little hard to see.

I really enjoyed this film and it was refreshing to see a "horror" type film able to be done from the Bible in a clean way. :engel017: Except for the bullet hole in the wife's head of course. lol hehe

Keep up the good work! <><

I just wanted to say thanks! That took some real time and effort on your part. I'm sure that everyone appreciates it. As for the time issue, I didn't want to hit people over the head with it. Of course, the watch looks clearer on the big screen in HD. :)

Cheers,

Mike